Author Topic: Worst call in the history of sports today  (Read 1953 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Worst call in the history of sports today
« on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 07:33:42 PM »
Today, in the Bengals at Buccaneers game, Bengals DE Justin Smith was call for roughing the passer.  Why is this so bad?  Because the Bucs quarterback still had the ball!  It was just a sack.  No low tackle or facemask or body slam or anything.  Just wrapped him up and took him down.

I have never even heard of roughing the passer being called on a sack.  It was total bullshit.  I am honestly contemplating writing the NFL about that one.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Worst call in the history of sports today
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 07:42:41 PM »
Even for a sack, it was pretty tame. There was no way it was roughing the passer. Then, after that, they made a pretty bad call about a touchdown.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 07:46:30 PM »
The touchdown could have gone either way.  I thought he had possession (as opposed to the incomplete pass originally called), but there was a question of whether or not he fumbled the ball.  I wasn't real upset at that one.  It's that phanotm roughing the passer that gets me.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, October 15, 2006, 11:20:10 PM »
I have to agree with the ref.

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 05:54:15 PM »
OMG! I thought that was the most bullshit call ever. I felt bad for the Bengals because they really should've won that game. I mean, they went through like 10 losing seasons, the refs might as well help them out since they're winning now. And btw, the QB ducked, so there really wasn't any other way to tackle him than the way Justin Smith did. Oh well, there's always next week I guess.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:09:08 PM »
Oh, btw, I did send the letter to the NFL.