Author Topic: I have a losing problem  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
I have a losing problem
« on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 04:56:24 PM »
Whenever I lose at anything, I get legitimatley mad. I just lost at foosball, and I'm fuming right now. I hate it. I used to be worse, I used to be a little bitch, and I've gotten better over the years. I'm not as outwardly mad as I used to be, but I still hate anyone that can beat me in anything. And even though it makes me a competitor, I hate it about myself. Anyone ever had this problem / still have this problem? I think there's a difference betwen being competitive and being overly competitive.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
Re: I have a losing problem
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 05:23:02 PM »
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 05:41:30 PM »
Maybe we shouldn't play Dawn of War?

But yeah, I can't say I've ever had this problem.  Well, except in cases where I'm physically incapable of winning.  I used to play Scrabble with my parents, but it was pointless because they knew more words than I did, so I always lost.  Eventually I just said, "What's the point?" and we stopped.  I wish I could take my Dad on now that I'm older.  This was when I was like... 10.

That said, I generally don't care about losing.  Probably because I do it a lot.  Ask Sy.  Every time we play Dawn of War he smashes me into the fucking ground with extreme prejudice.  Every time we paint models, his look better.  Every time we glue stuff down, he does 40 items in 10 seconds, and I end up gluing my hand to the table.  So I think over the years I've just been conditioned to do the best I can.  I'm not the best poet, not the best artist, not the best musician, not the best gamer... not the best anything.  I just try to enjoy everything for what it is and enjoy the fact that I can participate.  And then every now and again I manage to win, and that's always fun.

But yeah, I don't think there's a point in being overly competitive.  All it'll do is make you angry.  And the fact is, being less good at something doesn't make you less of a person.  Most people are better than other people at *something*, even when that person beats them at the item in question.  It's just the way of it.

I will, however, never play Super Smash Brothers Melee ever again.  Ever.  EVER.  That was enough losing for a lifetime of loser-ness.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 08:52:01 PM »
You must have been an asshole of a kid.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 09:13:59 PM »
Ghandi I'm exactly the same way.  I'm the biggest sore sport on the planet and it doesn't matter what we're playing, talking about or doing, and no matter how good or bad i am at it, i will always get unjustifiably pissed at you for an hour if you beat me at it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 09:25:16 PM »
I dont get too frustrated when I lose at something, if its something like a game, I learn from it, especially fighting games.  Sometimes at LAN parties if I was playing an FPS I wasn't too familiar with or good at and lost a lot I would curse and yell, but just momentarily.  When I lose at something over and over again, I can get pretty mad, but this is usually in a single player, by myself kind of scenario.  Lately, I've been getting pretty pissed off at some of the harder Expert songs on Guitar Hero.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 09:37:22 PM »
I only get upset when I lose for unfair reasons. Like a game with a cheap boss or something. Otherwise I dont mind much.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #7 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 10:55:14 PM »
My best friend is the most competitive person I know and it gets on my nerves sometimes. Like we'll play Smash and hes pretty good, I'd say we are pretty balanced, but when I'll get the edge over him and start winning games he'll go into a little bitch fit and eventually give up and do what Que did when we played, killing himself over and over again. Its just a fucking game retard, as ruins the fun out of it.