Author Topic: Interesting read on WoW  (Read 2287 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Interesting read on WoW
« on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:16:54 PM »
http://soulkerfuffle.blogspot.com/2006/10/view-from-top.html

I found it pretty interesting.  I've never played the game apart from like 6 hours in beta, and I can definitly see stuff like this happening.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Interesting read on WoW
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:27:02 PM »
It's quite a read.. I got through the first few paragraphs, and I know exactly what the guy is talking about.. I've seen it happen to a few people already.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:35:48 PM »
Thats all pretty true from what I've seen of other guilds...the "hardcore" types. While I had a lot of free time and played WoW a lot, I dont ever see myself getting that bad. I like our little group. We played for fun. The huge, long 40 man raids sound like something I'd try once if invited, but not something I could get into.

As bad as I am, I dont plan my life around the game.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 09:38:40 PM »
Wow. At last count I had 52 epics. lol
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:03:00 PM »
A very good read.

I was like that dude.  While I was on internship (for one year), I didn't really do much after work so I picked up WoW.  That game took over my life.  I went to work, I came home, and I played WoW.  For one year straight.  I was clocking in 40 hours a week, raiding nearly every single day and farming and stuff.  It was fucking insane.  Thankfully, I can control myself, and I'm back in school now doing my last year. 

I remember going to work dead tired everyday.  All my coworker would be like... 'you look tired man.'  I would be like... 'yea, late night....' every day of the week :P.  My manager never noticed though since I always got all my work done. 

Regardless, yea the game is an absolute massive investment of time.  I do have intentions of going back to it when the expansion comes out for some casual play for a month in December (after finals), and then back to school for my last semester.

And I've been an officer and/or co-officer as well of guilds too.  Luckily, I only put some input and stuff, but never really 'involved' with that stuff per se. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:05:14 PM »
Yeah, I never got it.  I don't know how people can play so much of one thing.  I think that's insane.  I'm addicted to games in general, not just one.  I had a lot of fun, like idol said.  We had our little group, it was awesome.  I'll probably play again for a while when the expansion hits.  Finally get 60, try to hit 70, see the new places.  I'm sure that'll be fun, too.  Then I'll stop.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:08:07 PM »
I always knew where to draw the line, or at least I never could get to that state. I've came close, but it wasnt the fact the game was that addicting, which it can be, its just that I saw where it became a job more than a game. The guild I was in wanted me to participate more sure, but I never let WoW get in the way of my real life friends or other things, so in the end the guild progressed, and just like any guild, filtered out the hardcore players from the passive ones and I just faded away from it. There was gear I wanted, I still want, but it doesnt matter to me that much. I had my fun and thats what matters.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 11:14:55 PM »
Thats the sad part about guilds. Once they get enough members they always end up turning into these hardcore raiding guilds. Even the "casual guilds"...once they hit 50 members its all "Oh, we have enough people. Lets just try a raid." so they start "trying" every week...and cutting people that dont join in. I'm pretty sure thats what happened to a guild I was in. I dont know for sure...thats when I started my NE druid and when I went back to my tauren I had been kicked.