Author Topic: My life sucks right now  (Read 3256 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
My life sucks right now
« on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 04:35:58 PM »
Getting car fixed on Wednesday... $300
Estimated damages from crashing car into a wall on Thursday... $5000
Loan payoff... $3500
Not having car insurance... Priceless

Offline PyroMenace

Re: My life sucks right now
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 04:54:15 PM »
That sucks... lets play some Wolf ET, it'll make you feel better.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 04:56:09 PM »
Haha, yeah probably.  But I'm going over Jennie's tonight so no dice.

It'll work out.  I have about $1700 right now and am trying to sell some things on Ebay to get the payoff.  Jennie offered to lend me some money in the meantime.

What I'm most worried about is getting a new car.  My credit is not nearly as good as it was when I got the now wrecked car.  I don't even know if I can get financed.  If I can't, then I have to get a heap-o-crap, and even then it will probably be another $1000.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 05:48:03 PM »
Dang man, good luck with all that..

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #4 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 05:53:08 PM »
Why were you driving without insurance?

Either way, that sucks.  At least you didn't get hurt.  At least I assume, since you don't mention medical bills.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 06:17:07 PM »
Liability insurance is required in Ohio, but you don't have to insure the value of your car for your own protection.  I'm hoping that's the case here.  Otherwise, Scott may have more serious problems if the local cops or prosecutors decide to press the issue of no insurance.  (Scott, accident report filed on this, or did you just limp home without involving the cops?)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 07:57:17 PM »
Ouch, I know the pain.  I wrote my car off a few years ago about 7 months after buying it (only had like 80,000 km on it).  It was all paid for in cash, but that's cash I could've used to pay off student loans. 

Hope it all works out for you.  And here's a tip, if you have to buy another one, get a Tercel.  Cheap, reliable, retain resale value, and they cost nothing to run and insure.  Unless you're huge, can't drive standard, or want a powerful car it's a good choice.

Oh, and let me guess....full tank of gas?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 19, 2006, 11:32:42 PM »
Man that is terrible. I didn't tell anyone here about this, but a few months ago I was caught in a mini flood in my car. Basically it had rained more than it ever had and I was stuck in an area where the sewage ducts were closed and the road flooded. The water was as high as my steering wheel and the cars were floating. I even took some pics. But it was a nightmare that didn't end even after the storm.

The car repairs were nuts and it was quite depressing.

Anyway I still didn't have it that bad. I feel for you, and if you need help selling on eBay, I am here for you. Send me a PM.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #8 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 03:39:50 AM »
Hold up, hold up.  What were you doing near a wall?  With your car?   :(

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 03:44:23 AM »
Ouch. I doubt it makes you feel better, but my brother was in an accident (no injuries, car totalled, et cetera...), and then a week after he got it replaced (with a loan), an uninsured drunk driver hit his new car while it was parked on the street.
Driving, apparently.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
Why were you driving without insurance?
Because I'm a friggin idiot and it bit me in the ass.  I let my old policy lapse because I was only working 3 days a week for $11.00 an hour.  That insurance bill would come due, and I just wouldn't have the money for it on top of everything else.  I was usually able to reinstate the policy before having to totally rewrite it, but the last time, I just couldn't get the money together.

Now that I have a new job making a significant amount more, I was looking at getting a new policy.  I was actually saving up for the initial premium of $900.  I was almost there...

Liability insurance is required in Ohio, but you don't have to insure the value of your car for your own protection.  I'm hoping that's the case here.  Otherwise, Scott may have more serious problems if the local cops or prosecutors decide to press the issue of no insurance.  (Scott, accident report filed on this, or did you just limp home without involving the cops?)
I didn't have liability insurance either, but the police weren't involved.  It was just a concrete barrier on an entrance ramp.  So yes, I left the scene of an accident and did not have liability insurance.  Shhhhh!!!

On, and I was wrong about the damage.  It is actually about $8,000.

I was driving up a curved entrance ramp.  It was raining and I lost the rear-end (in a friggin Taurus, which is FWD).  The rear-end NEVER came out on me before in that car.  I wasn't even really pushing it on the turn at all, even for the rain.  So I thought at least.

I felt the rear slip out to the left some.  It was not the first time that's ever happened to me, but the first time in this vehicle.  So I thought it wasn't a biggie, just let off the gas and turn the wheel left in the path I want the car to go.  But unlike all the other times in all the other vehicles this happened to me in (including a loaded 32,000 lb. truck), the end didn't tuck back in.  It just came roaring around, totally ignoring my increasing steering input.  The front left corner slammed into a retaining wall travelling essentially backwards, and then spun around and then the back left corner hit.

I still don't really know why it happened.  It happened in a FWD car that has an independant rear suspension, and my tires are all less than a year old and were fully inflated the day before.  I had taken the turn much faster before, including in the rain.

I think one of three things happened:  1) I was going much faster than I think I was going, 2) It was a freak thing when I hit a slick spot, or 3) I had just had my brakes done the day before, maybe there was a bias in the brake balancing, with the rears being stronger than the fronts (I was lightly braking when the skid began).
« Last Edit: Friday, October 20, 2006, 12:15:10 PM by scottws »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 02:15:06 PM »
FWD-car lift-throttle oversteer.  Front end brakes when you let go of the gas, back end has nothing slowing it down.  Sucks, man.  Almost lost an '84 Datsun econobox that way.  The thing to do in that case, believe it or not, is to nail the gas, and maybe slightly apply the handbrake, to pull those rear tires, and keep 'em back where they belong .  Very un-intuitive, and very few people would have the presence of mind to do it, even if they knew all this.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 02:20:18 PM »
Makes sense, all the other vehicles were RWD.  First time I've ever not had grip with the rear on a FWD car. 

I was thinking later yesterday that maybe I could have saved it by nailing the gas, but I wasn't sure of it.

FWD cars are stupid.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 02:30:55 PM »
They definitely handle differently (from RWD) when driven past the limits of adhesion.  My car has an annoying tendency to throw the back end out on left turns.  (There must be something odd about my right-rear suspension, but I don't know what, and probably couldn't afford to fix it anyway.)  But being RWD, the intuitive reaction is the right thing to do--let go of the gas, and steer into the skid.  I've been almost 90 degrees out of kilter, and still recovered.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 20, 2006, 07:17:22 PM »
With FWD there is almost no weight over the back tires, which are pretty much just along for the ride.  If your tires do slip on the back you're pretty much fucked.  I've never lost rear tire traction since the cars I've owned have almost all had pretty close to 60/40 weight distribution...which is about as close to the ideal you're going to get in a FWD car.

It's really hard to say which is actually better for traction, RWD and FWD.  I've never actually come across conclusive evidence pointing to either.  Having the weight of the engine over the drive wheels increases traction quite a bit  The dowside to this is that if you do lose traction in a FWD vehicle, chances are it's going to be the rear wheels...by far the worst ones to lose control of.  I think the main reason people claim FWD is safer is because of the fact that you can usually feel when a drive wheel is right about to slip (whereas in a RWD you usually don't know until you've lost control of it) and because in ideal conditions at high speeds FWD cars will usually understeer rather then oversteer. 

In the end I don't really know.  That's all well and good, but if you're in a FWD car and you lose control of your rear wheels you're probably going to be going for a ride and that's arguably all that matters. Personally, I just always keep pristine tires on my rear wheels because I'm fucking paranoid of spinning out and I think next time I buy a car I may just go AWD.  It may be a couple thousand more, but piece of mind may be worth it.

Anyways, sorry to hear about it.  Again, I know the feeling.  I'll post an awesome pic of my old car in a while.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 04:23:05 AM »
glad you're safe.

Right now, i've kinda moved to this place for I don't know how long.  But anyway...  driving here at night is nuts, no one ever goes on dim.  Last night, i had to go out and I floored the gas on the highway becuase I didn't want this bus to pass me, I had a cup of ice cream in my left hand..  anyway it turned out fine, but I don't think I'm going to do that again.  It would've been a messy accident.
Taken.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, October 21, 2006, 10:20:42 AM »
They definitely handle differently (from RWD) when driven past the limits of adhesion.  My car has an annoying tendency to throw the back end out on left turns.  (There must be something odd about my right-rear suspension, but I don't know what, and probably couldn't afford to fix it anyway.)  But being RWD, the intuitive reaction is the right thing to do--let go of the gas, and steer into the skid.  I've been almost 90 degrees out of kilter, and still recovered.

It's amazing how few people know that, but nearly 100% of accidents in the snow/rain are because of it.  With FWD, you're right too.  Lose the back end and the best thing you can do it hit the gas.  Also, if you're not going TOO fast, you can tap the brakes once or twice very quickly as you steer into the turn.  Its very easy to recover if your front tires slip in FWD, though, it's just a matter of letting go of everything and steering, like you did scott.  The hardest part is just trying to think of which one to do in the split second that you get.