Author Topic: CES: Download Blu-Ray Movies To PSP  (Read 1647 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: CES: Download Blu-Ray Movies To PSP
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 08:49:27 AM »
That's actually pretty cool.  Who would have thought Sony would allow anyone to do this, as draconian they are about DRM and licensing.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 12:04:46 PM »
If Sony is behind this, you can bet what you get won't be something you can copy and use elsewhere with ease.  I would bet on PSP-specific encryption.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 01:01:49 PM »
Well of course not, but like I said, I'm surprised they are even allowing it at all.  You'd think instead they'd give you a coupon for $10 off the UMD version or something inside the Blu-Ray case.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 01:04:36 PM »
There has to be a catch. This is SONY we're talking about? They have to have some foot-shooting blunder in there somewhere.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 01:12:12 PM »
Well right now that Blu-Ray gamble may be paying off. If that wins the format war, then people will find an incredible deal in a PS3.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »
Hmm... I wouldn't be so sure.  It may have helped Sony firmly plant Blu-Ray as the dominant format, but I doubt it really will have helped the PS3.

There are still a lot of people without HDTVs and even for those that do have them, I'm sure a lot of people aren't quite ready to replace their DVD collection.

Also keep in mind that this still isn't clear.  With DVD there was no alternative other than the non-competitive Laserdisc or VHS and therefore there wasn't the customer apprehension that there has been with the HD formats.

HD-DVD is still out there, and there are still some big studios exclusively releasing their films on HD-DVD.  And isn't Wal-Mart exclusively carrying HD-DVD?  I thought I heard that, but I haven't personally verified it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 03:31:30 PM »
I'm firmly on the sidelines.  Here I stay at least until one format becomes the clear winner.  More likely, I'll stay away until the winning format gets significant market penetration.  My rule with DVD was to wait for every new rental release on Blockbuster shelves to include a DVD.  Then I bought a player.  That still seems like a good guideline.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 05:34:14 PM »
HD-DVD is still out there, and there are still some big studios exclusively releasing their films on HD-DVD.  And isn't Wal-Mart exclusively carrying HD-DVD?  I thought I heard that, but I haven't personally verified it.

Wal-Mart sells both.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2008, 07:10:34 PM »

No longer the case. Warner is now Blu-Ray exclusive which basically just leaves Paramount.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2008, 05:39:33 AM »
...and Dreamworks.  Paramount and Dreamworks are some pretty big studios to just brush off.