Author Topic: iOS Gaming Thread  (Read 142822 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: iOS Gaming Thread
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, January 19, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
ok, so that DOS emulator totally works. Using the program iPhone Explorer, I was able to put Monkey Island, Prince of Persia, and Master of Magic on there. They ran but I'll have to set up some configs to make them playable...typical dosbox.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: Thursday, January 20, 2011, 12:13:32 AM »
I should look into getting some of those point and click games on Android.  I imagine the small screen would be perfect for them.   And about those Gameloft games; they all have very high production values and are decent rip offs of console games I guess, but I never find the gameplay to actually be fun.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Knight Defense is free, and looks kinda cool. Tower defense with chess pieces.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 08:00:19 PM »
Knight Defense is free, and looks kinda cool. Tower defense with chess pieces.

I dig it. It's just what it sounds like - there is a chess board, you have predetermined pieces (at least so far) and they move and attack like regular chess pieces. Enemies come from the other side of the board. You can move them around at will, and each has a special ability - pawns can freeze, rooks speed you up, etc. And you upgrade them. Pretty fun.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, January 25, 2011, 10:09:10 PM »
Burger Queen is also free. A time management game that has you flipping burgers to order. Its pretty good as far as this style of game goes but I'm sure the difficulty will ramp up to exceed my fun threshold soon enough.

It has a neat feature that goes with the fast food theme. There a waiting tray so you can make burgers and stuff ahead of time and drop them there. Then when a customer orders its already done and ready to go. Burgers seem the quickest thing to make so far so getting ahead on them probably isn't as big of a deal compared to the drinks and I'm assuming fries (which I just unlocked).

Anyway, its pretty good if you like time management. I just like them up to a point.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Friday, January 28, 2011, 12:22:41 AM »
Fishtropolis is free. If anyone played Textropolis, this is the same thing. Except instead of the using the names of cities to spell other words, you're using the names of fish. Trust me, its cool.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Thursday, February 03, 2011, 07:41:53 PM »
StarDunk Gold is free today! Its the ad-free version of StarDunk. Fun for such a simple game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #127 on: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »
Backbreaker Football is free for Superbowl Weekend.

EDIT

I just tried it and its kinda meh. You basically have to run from the 50 yard line to score a touchdown. There are defenders, and each time you score theres another "wave" that has more defenders. You keep doing that until you run out of lives. Woo...I guess.
« Last Edit: Saturday, February 05, 2011, 11:38:27 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Monday, February 07, 2011, 04:34:10 PM »
Behemoth (of Castle Crashers fame) released Super Soviet Missile Mastar for free. Uh...not sure.

There is a thread on TouchArcade stating EA games being on sale for 99 cents, NOT including Dead Space.

UPDATE:
Yeah, Dead Space is NOT in the sale. But a bunch of others are in case you missed them during the christmas sale. All the NFS games, for example, seem to be 99 cents.
« Last Edit: Monday, February 07, 2011, 10:03:54 PM by idolminds »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #129 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
Shadow Guardian dropped to 99 cents. This is Gamelofts Uncharted clone. Not really sure if I want to grab it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #130 on: Tuesday, February 08, 2011, 12:08:31 PM »
The Goblin Blacksmith is free. I don't really know what its like but I've heard good things and it looks interesting.

Also, the Sword & Poker games are back in the app store. S&P2 was mentioned in a lot of "Best of 2010" lists but for some reason was taken off the store. Some think the company that made them went out of business. Whatever the reason, at least they are back now. I grabbed the demo of S&P2 and its pretty cool. Might have to pick up the full game.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »
Capcom has a sale going on. The following games are 99 cents:

*CAPCOM Arcade (game machine)
*Dead Rising Mobile
*Devil May Cry 4 refrain
*Phoenix Wright
*Street Fighter IV
*Resident Evil 4
*Resident Evil 4 iPad edition

Sega also has a 99 cent sale:

Altered Beast
ChuChu Rocket! (also HD)
Ecco the Dolphin
Golden Axe
Gunstar Heroes
Phantasy Star II
Sega Columns Deluxe
Shining Force
Shinobi III
Sonic Spinball
Streets of Rage
Super Monkey Ball
Super Monkey Ball 2 (also Sakura edition)
Virtua Fighter 2

Here is EAs 99 cent sale.

And finally a bunch of Gameloft games are also on sale.

Looks like everyone is trying to get their games in the top 100 list since the Verizon iphone is coming out.

I'm finding it difficult to pick anything I really want. Sure I can get a bunch of games for $1 but will I play them? I hear good things about SF4 but thats a fighting game on a touchscreen. I can't imagine that being as fun as I'd like. Dead Rising is supposed to be kind of mediocre. I'm thinking SimCity Deluxe and NFS Hot Pursuit might be my best choices. Eh...we'll see.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, February 09, 2011, 07:52:38 AM by idolminds »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #132 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 05:31:51 AM »
It looks like Angry Birds for the iPhone is going for 99c today.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 08:21:56 AM »
I think Angry Birds has always been 99 cents.

Super Mega Worm is free! Yay!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #134 on: Saturday, February 12, 2011, 09:58:57 AM »
I could have sworn it was $4.99.. I know it is for every other device (iPad, PSP, etc.) and I think it's free on Android.

Awesome, thanks for the updates ;D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, February 13, 2011, 10:56:13 PM »
Part of Gamelofts latest sale they had a few of their big games now in a poll on facebook and the winner would then go on sale for 99 cents. The winner: Halo NOVA 2! Its basically Halo on your iphone. Seriously, watch this. But its supposed to be pretty good and should be 99 cents in a day or two.

Another game you might be interested in is League of Evil. The best comparison would be to say "Super Meat Boy on iphone". Getting good reviews and there is a lite version to try. Full game is 99 cents as its regular price. I tried the demo and wasnt too thrilled with the controls.

I wanted to mention that sometimes the wanting of retina display assets kinda sucks. Oregon Trail used to be like 300MB, and now its over 1GB installed on your device. Thats pretty ridiculous considering its Oregon Trail.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #136 on: Monday, February 14, 2011, 12:20:47 AM »
I picked up Virtual City the other day and haven't been able to put it down.  I haven't played a Sim City or clone in years so I'm totally feeling it.  Good stuff.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #137 on: Tuesday, February 15, 2011, 11:53:24 PM »
Hive is currently free. Official port of the board game which seems to rank pretty highly on BGG.

In my seemingly never ending quest for portable versions of Yakuza minigames, I picked up Geisha's Dice for $1. Its Cho-Han, which is about the most basic gambling game you can possibly come up with short of flipping a coin and betting on the outcome. Two dice are shaken under a cup, you bet on whether the sum of their results will be even or odd. Thats it. Win and you double your bet. Geishas Dice does a good job of not making this extremely simple premise boring by using video clips of a woman handling the dice throwing. There are quite a few clips plus extra bonus game stuff. It will eventually get repetitive but its a great game to just play a few rounds here and there. I guess theres an actual ending to the game that depends on how much money you've earned by a certain point, but I don't know when that point actually is.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #138 on: Friday, February 18, 2011, 05:56:17 PM »
I have to give props to Apple on one thing.

I got into hanafuda, I watched Summer Wars, and I found a story about a Summer Wars themed hanafuda game being made for the iphone. Awesome, but that story was all I had found. The app was not on the itunes store despite the article saying it should be out in April of last year. A few google searches later and I come across a app piracy site and it has the game listed, screenshots and everything. Turns out it was only released on the Japanese store.

So it became my mission to get on the Japanese itunes store. Its pretty easy, really. Log out, change your region to Japan, and there you are. Making a new japanese account was also pretty simple. I found a free app I wanted to try and it prompted me to make a new account. I made a new gmail address for it, faked the physical address, but all the steps to signing up are in english. 10 minutes later (I had to look up the japanese postal codes) and I was downloading a free app from the store.

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to sync this new app to my ipod without having it wipe out all my other apps. This is where I have to give Apple credit. I can sync apps from both accounts onto my ipod, no problem. I guess because my machine is authorized for both accounts, but its still a nice thing to have. Now I can order a japanese itunes gift card from jlist and buy stuff on there if I want.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #139 on: Saturday, February 19, 2011, 07:20:04 PM »
Cubetastic can be had for free. Looks like some kind of rubiks cube puzzle game. Should be interesting.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, February 19, 2011, 10:00:00 PM »
Idol, I'm loving this thread. Most of the stuff I don't like, but there have been 7-8 or so gems in this thread that I love, and that makes it worth it. I appreciate the updates. :)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, February 19, 2011, 10:30:05 PM »
Good to hear it. I know a lot of them end up being kinda lame (I generally cant download and play them before I post otherwise the sale will be off), but I've been a bit better about weeding out some of the so-so looking stuff. I have so many games and so much still to download that Ive become a bit pickier in what I decide to download.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, February 20, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
I gotta say I appreciate this thread too, man!

I don't even have an iPhone/iPad but I'm really keen on spotting this stuff for my friends and family who do have iOS devices.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Saturday, February 26, 2011, 10:10:38 PM »
Grokion is free for GDC this week. Not sure if that means its free all week or whatever. A Metroidvania type game. Looks cool.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, February 27, 2011, 08:37:51 AM »
Sketch Club is free today. Its a drawing app made by one of the artists at ArenaNet (Guild Wars). Draw, upload, rate others. Seems cool if you want a drawing app.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #145 on: Sunday, February 27, 2011, 09:34:23 PM »
This is not really a sale, but you should be made aware of it anyway.

Hot Springs Story is on the US app store! Currently $3.99, which is apparently 23% off as a launch sale so the price will go up. Its by the makers of Game Dev Story, only you're running a Japanese hot spring. Kind of funny because I made a Japanese itunes account just last week and grabbed the demo for this there. Despite being in Japanese it was still pretty fun and I was hoping to see an English release...and here we are.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Wednesday, March 02, 2011, 06:53:14 PM »
Infinity Blade got a big update and a temp price drop!
    * Gain access to the all-new “Dungeon” game play environment.
    * Players can battle and explore through six new game arenas, which nearly doubles the size of the game.
    * Featuring The Deathless Kings, players will encounter ten new enemies, including the Wood Jester, the Iron Guard, the Plated Sorok, the Warden, and more.
    * Fans will have the ability to continue building their character with NewGame+, which allows gamers to re-master any item, unlock new items in the store, and removes the level cap.
    * Collect and master more than 30 all-new magic rings, swords, shields, helmets, and armor.
    * Gain new achievements and compete on the leaderboards.
    * Enjoy new gameplay enhancements and optimizations, including multiple character slots, dodge button size slider, and audio volume controls.
And its down to $2.99 until March 6th.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, March 05, 2011, 08:41:58 PM »
Stoneship is on sale for 99 cents. This is by Cyan, the creators of Myst. Anyone remember that game Oasis on PC? This is basically the same thing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 08:51:30 PM »
Dungeon Hunter 2 is down to 99 cents from $7 for one day only. Its a Diablo-style action RPG. Looks groovy. Me get.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #149 on: Friday, March 11, 2011, 09:52:30 PM »
Dungeon Hunter 2 is down to 99 cents from $7 for one day only. Its a Diablo-style action RPG. Looks groovy. Me get.

Yeah I downloaded it a month ago or so and it's pretty awesome. I only played maybe 3-4 hours, though, so I don't know how much content there is.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, March 12, 2011, 11:54:52 AM »
Xeno Sola is free. Looks like a space themed Carcassonne.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
Papa Sangre is free right now! This game is done entirely with audio. Pretty unique concept. I'm gonna check it out.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 09:18:22 PM »
Papa Sangre is free right now! This game is done entirely with audio. Pretty unique concept. I'm gonna check it out.
I think I missed that offer, says it's $5. Still, pretty cool concept.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 09:48:47 PM »
Wow, yeah. That was a really short sale.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Sunday, March 13, 2011, 11:05:51 PM »
Wild Frontier can be had for free. A korean RPG so probably kinda grindy, but it looks neat. Ill give it a go for nothing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, March 15, 2011, 08:25:23 AM »
Street Fighter 4 is 99 cents again.
Our deepest thoughts and prayers are with people who were caught in tragic "Tohoku Region Earthquake" in Japan.

CAPCOM as a Japanese gaming company, starting from Mar. 15th through Mar. 22nd we are going to drop the price of iPhone / iPod touch "Street Fighter IV" globally and donate all the sales to public charity.

People from all over the world, please unite with us to help people in the disaster-strick area.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #156 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 03:27:37 PM »
Its not out yet but it will be free when its released, Nimblebit showed off Tiny Tower. Look at that pixel art! And it totally looks like a simpler version of SimTower. Free! Ok, "freemium" but these guys handle it well. Pocket Frogs was great fun and I never felt forced to pay for anything in it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Wednesday, March 16, 2011, 05:11:56 PM »
Uber Racer 3D - Sandstorm is free. Yeah, shitty name but it looks pretty damn awesome.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #158 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 11:43:30 AM »
Popcap is going to have a sale tomorrow. All their iphone games will be 99 cents each with proceeds going to help Japan. I might have to grab Plants vs Zombies.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #159 on: Friday, March 18, 2011, 02:20:19 PM »
World of Warcraft* for iOS!

*made by Gameloft, and titled "Order & Chaos Online"