Author Topic: The Witcher 1 thread.  (Read 40658 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Witcher screenies.
« Reply #120 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 04:05:20 PM »
I would play some more, but for some reason, every few minutes the game will crash.  I've just got to chapter 2 and I'm roaming around and it crashes every single time.  Eff this game.  I'm just gonna wait for a patch or some such.

Did you check the Witcher's official In-Game Tech boards for issues?

Jack, what are your PC's specs????

Seems like ATI users are having loads of crashing issues w/ this game -- especially if they have the newest ATI drivers.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #121 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 04:23:08 PM »
Heres something interesting.

It appears things weren't censored just for the US, but the english translation is general. So even the UK version is "censored". Though its not really censored, its just the translation. They cut some stuff and not others. In the comments I read there is a .ini setting you can change to get the unedited english back. Of course, it won't be voice acted but you can still read it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 05:07:08 PM »
Heres something interesting.

It appears things weren't censored just for the US, but the english translation is general. So even the UK version is "censored". Though its not really censored, its just the translation. They cut some stuff and not others. In the comments I read there is a .ini setting you can change to get the unedited english back. Of course, it won't be voice acted but you can still read it.

I didn't get any responses on it when I posted before, but I've mentioned a little already about the game's translation being chopped down in this post here when the news first popped up and here that around 20% of the dialogues were agreed to be cut-down between Atari and CDPR.

Now, Idol brings up some news that you can edit the Original Script  back in for the Subtitles? GREAT!!! Thank you, Idol!!! :)

Okay, for those curious and want to actually try this....

First, make sure you backup your original Witcher.INI file somewhere, of course -- just in case some shit might hit the fan. You never know, when messing w/ an INI file, y'know...

Basically, go into Witcher.ini file -- the Witcher.INI is found within your folder of Witcher\System folder.

Bottom line, it should read by default "Language=FinalEnglish_Short."
Change that line to "Language=FinalEnglish_Long."

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #123 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 06:58:02 PM »
I have an opened copy of the US version of Witcher to give away. I installed it and then came to this board and found out it was the censored version. I said "fuck that" and ordered the UK one off Gogamer. If you want it then post away! FIRST ONE TO POST GETS IT.

Offer not valid if you have it already.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #124 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:01:46 PM »
I will totally take you up on that.  And I'll even get you a Christmas present in return.

Warning: Christmas present might be Hoob.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #125 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 10:43:18 PM »
Want me to send it the same place i sent the comic book? if no then PM me another address!
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #126 on: Wednesday, November 07, 2007, 11:41:33 PM »
Did you check the Witcher's official In-Game Tech boards for issues?

Jack, what are your PC's specs????

Seems like ATI users are having loads of crashing issues w/ this game -- especially if they have the newest ATI drivers.

Yep, I've checked the boards and emailed tech support.  Other than that, there's really no case of any issues like mine, I think.  Just crashing in the same area over and over again.

And my specs?  Intel C2D E6400, 2 gigs of ram, nvidia 7900gs, and just the regular hdd, audigy soundblaster and that's about it.  Nothing real out of the ordinary or anything.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #127 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 01:19:47 AM »
Want me to send it the same place i sent the comic book? if no then PM me another address!

That would be great.  And thanks, dude.  You better come up here again for the next OWmeet, because I owe you a meal.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #128 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 03:04:58 PM »
To Jack
Yep, I've checked the boards and emailed tech support.  Other than that, there's really no case of any issues like mine, I think.  Just crashing in the same area over and over again.

And my specs?  Intel C2D E6400, 2 gigs of ram, nvidia 7900gs, and just the regular hdd, audigy soundblaster and that's about it.  Nothing real out of the ordinary or anything.

Let me try and cover what's known....

Are you running XP or Vista? I really ain't heard many issues for XP users -- 'cept those who got issues w/ the Tages CP. If you do have Vista, Vista and this Witcher game, if you don't do the latest Vista HOTFIX update to kill some memory management issues, you will crash a lot -- especially w/ this game. See here for some of those nasty issues.

You have Nvidia GF card, I see -- so you will need the 163.xx drivers or above for The Witcher, whether on XP or Vista. Don't matter.

Also, the Tages CP on the disc can cause issues. If you got CDClone or Alcohol or Daemon Tools, expect issues; even after you uninstall those programs, you might have to go and do something dangerous; delete them off the Registry.

PlayDigital's Video Review
4 star review from PlayDigital

Other Reviews
8.8 from GameZone
8.5 from GamersHell
7.0 from 1Up
91 from ActionTrip

« Last Edit: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 08:58:28 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #129 on: Thursday, November 08, 2007, 03:51:13 PM »
I will totally take you up on that.  And I'll even get you a Christmas present in return.

Warning: Christmas present might be Hoob.
Wo0t!! Que's getting The Witcher!! Witcher's great stuff, man. I do hope you do enjoy it!!

One wish I really do have for this game -- a better INVENTORY System.

It'd be really nice if I could be able to Autosort my entire loot w/ one hotkey and/or click of an "Autosort" button in the Inventory box -- a la NWN2: Mask, Dungeon Siege series, TQ series, etc etc.

Also, it'd be nice if the game could split the Loot up into categories -- a la one for Food only shows Food Stuff, a category for Potions shows Potions ONLY, a category for Rings only shows Rings, etc etc. You get my drift.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #130 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 12:18:23 AM »
I suspect that I'll like it as long as it doesn't crash a lot like is happening to hoob.  On the whole, little niggles don't tend to destroy a game for me.  I've been gaming for so many years that I'm used to all of them, and as long as the game as a whole is good, I can overlook those things without a great deal of effort.  So I'm very much looking forward to it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #131 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 02:48:22 PM »
To Que and Jack
Que, I hope you don't have the crash issues like Jack has. That sucks. :( I hope he got by all his issues.

Hey Jack, did you find a solution yet???

To Que
Regardless, Que -- despite its minor issues (load times, lack of inventory auto-sorting, lack of inventory filtering), the game is whole-heartedly awesome. :) I think you'll dig it, to say the least.

Great Journal System
Also, I should've mentioned this earlier. I really love how that if you say find a book about something (a monster, a rare item, some sort of tale, etc etc), an entry will be added to say the Glossary, Monster Bestiary, it adds it to it. Find a new location -- info and a synopsis about the location is added to your Locations part of the journal.

Say you meet a new NPC that will be important to the game, in some fashion -- they will be added to your Characters section of the Journal, with a short synopsis about them. Also, this is where you can view the "collectible cards" of certain NPC's. :)

I love how the Quests portion of your Journal is sorted. You can sort by All Quests, Primary Quests, Secondary Quests, Sort Quests by What Act Number They Are Found In, etc etc -- they really did a great job on this part of things. Reminds me of say DS2's excellent Journal system, which I found to be quite excellent. :)

Combat Looks Awesome
I should also add that the animations and the combat looks awesome, on-screen. I mean, maybe this was what Peter Molyneux was referring to when he wanted to sword-combat in a RPG to look very cinematic. The sword fights, the action, the magic -- it all just looks great on the screen here; especially for a RPG.

Strong Sales for The Witcher, So Far -- Over One Million Worldwide
Worldwide sales figures have come in for The Witcher, which have ALREADY reported to have hit ONE MILLION SALES.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 09, 2007, 04:52:50 PM by MysterD »

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #132 on: Friday, November 09, 2007, 11:34:44 PM »
Nope no luck.  I found the game likes to freeze if I try saving a game now.  And the fun thing is now that I want the game to autosave it doesn't autosave anymore.  So, I tried to run through as much of the beginning as possible and hoped that it would autosave in a new area.  It didn't.  And it promptly crashed when I got to the new area.  I've tried messing with the virtual memory.  Updating the Tages driver.  Don't have Daemon Tools running or anything.  And there's not much else I can do.  I guess a lot of people are having these crashes with Vista.  Bah.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #133 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 06:54:24 AM »
Nope no luck.  I found the game likes to freeze if I try saving a game now.  And the fun thing is now that I want the game to autosave it doesn't autosave anymore.  So, I tried to run through as much of the beginning as possible and hoped that it would autosave in a new area.  It didn't.  And it promptly crashed when I got to the new area.  I've tried messing with the virtual memory.  Updating the Tages driver.  Don't have Daemon Tools running or anything.  And there's not much else I can do.  I guess a lot of people are having these crashes with Vista.  Bah.

Oh yes -- most issues I've heard are w/ Vista; especially the crashes. Especially w/ Tages and especially if you don't do the MS Hotfix.

I have heard still, even after people do those suggested fixes, still issues.

Are you on Vista?

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #134 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 11:28:25 AM »
Yep, I'm on Vista.  I already installed the Hotfix a while ago when it came out.  I keep my system pretty well updated.  And made sure everything else is tip top.  Though I have noticed that ever since installing the Witcher that my computer has become very unstable.  It freezes often and restarts itself randomly now.  I'm very unhappy.

But I did fix the crashing.  It works, but I'm still not happy with it.  I'm basically playing it at 800x600 windowed.  It really takes away from the enjoyment.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #135 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 02:06:06 PM »
Yep, I'm on Vista.  I already installed the Hotfix a while ago when it came out.  I keep my system pretty well updated.  And made sure everything else is tip top.  Though I have noticed that ever since installing the Witcher that my computer has become very unstable.  It freezes often and restarts itself randomly now.  I'm very unhappy.
Oh, man -- I wonder if Tages is causing the issue....?

But I did fix the crashing.  It works, but I'm still not happy with it.  I'm basically playing it at 800x600 windowed.  It really takes away from the enjoyment.
Windowed???? Ewwwww....

You mean it doesn't work right w/ 800x600 in Full?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #136 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 03:37:34 PM »
If Tages is the problem, try the magical underworld store.  Tages is a non-issue for me right now, wink wink, nudge nudge.

Anyway, I couldn't wait for my official copy, so I got my own via the aforementioned shop.  And I have to tell you, I am sincerely impressed.  There are some minor problems, most notably how the game seems incapable of keeping a consistent framerate (I'm guessing because it's rendering more than it has to in any given scene), but man... the art design and direction even in the beginning is wonderful, and I love everything about how the menus are set up, about the little details, about the consistency of the fiction that is immediately apparent in many small things even before you really get to know the world at all.  And the opening movie is pretty fucking amazing for a game of this kind.  I wasn't expecting much, but again, the details impressed me.  These people didn't go into this half-assed.

Having watched like the first two or so episodes of the show, it's nice to see some details from it in there already too, and it's nice that they tried to match the visual design up with that stuff.  I think it works very well.  Voice acting ranges from wonky to pretty damned good, and I think on the whole there's nothing to complain about (so far).  Geralt, at least, is suitably grisly and stuff.

I'm actually not sure which version is it I have running now, so it may be censored and it may be not.  At least knowing that I can unlock the "true" script is a comfort, because as far as I know that's all that was cut aside from the boobies (which are already available all over the internet).

Anyway, I sincerely hope they support this game and patch the hell out of it until it gets nice and stable, because it's just plain got too much potential to be wasted on technical crap.  And I think this would work great on a console.  A 360 version wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

So yes.  Que loves him some Witcher.  Going to hopefully spend some more time with it in the next few days, provided that Dungeon Runners with Idol and Ghandi doesn't eat up too much time.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #137 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 03:59:40 PM »
No res at full screen works for me very long.  I have the magical copy too, had it for a while.  I got impatient while waiting for it and just bought it on a whim.
It might be Tages...but I'm not sure.  People say Tages has a way of checking validity and whatnot randomly, even while in-game which could be causing problems in Vista for some reason.  They're hoping that Tages is patched to just check before running the game.  Otherwise, I don't know what else to do.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #138 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 04:32:23 PM »
Can you at least run the window at a decent res?  Is 800x600 the only one that works?

I can understand how irritating that would be, though I think if I got a decent res out of the game windowed (1024x768, maybe), I could live with it even if I wasn't happy.  Enjoying the game enough to deal.

Anyway, let's all just hope for the next patch.  This is the first project from these guys if I'm not mistaken, and even if it isn't, it's the first thing to get any press.  They'll want to support it as best they can, so hopefully they can nail down some of this stuff.

At the very least, I can report that I don't have much issue with load times.  The loading is very short, and the saving does add a bit of time to that, but only about double (so maybe 8 - 10 seconds total).  No crashes or instability of any kind for me either, though obviously most people run into these issues somewhere down the road, not initially.  Still... no graphics or sound glitches of any kind barring the cinemas getting choppy in places and the shadows skewing themselves in strange ways in relation to camera movement.  The engine on the whole would strike me as stable from my initial impressions.  I'm hoping maybe it will happen to like my setup.

Oh and Hoob, did you try removing excess savegames?  You might consider backing them up first, of course, but at least one guy that I saw resolved a constant crash issue by simply removing all of his saves but his most current.  He said he had like 83 of them or something due to all the autosaving.  I'm pruning mine as I go so as not to get a buildup.  Some games seem to have troubles with that, for some reason.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #139 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 04:53:23 PM »
Nah, not so many saves.  I have a habit of saving over the autosaves so that they don't clutter.  And yea, it seems to be the most stable resolution I can play at.  I have everything maxed out, but it's maxed out at a windowed 800x600...boo.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #140 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 07:01:12 PM »
Well, it's worth noting that he believed the culprit to be one specific save in particular.  This was just a forum post, though, so who knows.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #141 on: Saturday, November 10, 2007, 08:26:45 PM »
Next Patch
The next patch is planned to be out by early December; 2-3 weeks from now, they recently said. And it's already been said that they plan to allow for you to "Enable" "Disable" Autosaving, which they believe will free-up load-times. Given that it takes a bit of time to load an area and then it says it is SAVING which also takes a little bit of time -- this time put together is what makes it so damn long -- yeah, I think that "Enable and Disable Autosaving" feature will solve that problem.

CDPR's History
Yes, this is CDPR's first project of their own.

CD Projekt did the localization for the Polish versions of a bunch of great Interplay-published D&D CRPG's -- BG Series, PS:T, and IWD Series. So, yeah -- they've obviously did their RPG homework, given what they've localized and it really shows since how excellent The Witcher really turned out.

Saving Maintenance
Yeah, I also seem to be deleting a lot of saves and overwriting old saves -- since this game doesn't have a few Quicksave slots and a few Auto-Save slots that when you do those type of saves, they save write over those exact slots only. Instead, no matter what kinda' save it does, it just always creates a new save.

When this patch 1.2 comes out, I'm definitely turning that Autosaving off. I always Quicksave so much as is in games anyways that it really just ain't funny -- so, yes, I feel like I live on the Load/Save Screen just to delete saves and overwrite old saves.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #142 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 02:27:44 AM »
Well, I wasn't sure at first, but apparently I'm playing the censored version.  Stupid magical underworld store, why don't you tell me these things?

In any case, it's hard to say that this has somehow dulled the experience for me, because I've been having one hell of a great time.  The game is absolutely amazing.  Censored or not, this is well worth playing.

The next thing I'm going to try and figure out is whether or not I can somehow get the game in its original Polish and keep the long English subs.  I was reading something on some forum earlier, and I *think* this may be theoretically possible if you can simply get all the right files in the right place.  So I'm thinking: download polish version of the game, get the audio data and put it in the right spot, and then either see if it works, or switch whatever internal settings need to be switched.  It may not work since I don't know about filenames and such, but I think with the way it's set up it'd be a possibility.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #143 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 06:28:43 AM »
Well, I wasn't sure at first, but apparently I'm playing the censored version.  Stupid magical underworld store, why don't you tell me these things?
Cards w/ Nudity
(click to show/hide)

In any case, it's hard to say that this has somehow dulled the experience for me, because I've been having one hell of a great time.  The game is absolutely amazing.  Censored or not, this is well worth playing.
I agree that this is definitely an awesome game.
RPG of the Year, I think -- no doubt about it.

The next thing I'm going to try and figure out is whether or not I can somehow get the game in its original Polish and keep the long English subs.  I was reading something on some forum earlier, and I *think* this may be theoretically possible if you can simply get all the right files in the right place.  So I'm thinking: download polish version of the game, get the audio data and put it in the right spot, and then either see if it works, or switch whatever internal settings need to be switched.  It may not work since I don't know about filenames and such, but I think with the way it's set up it'd be a possibility.
Did you try the long English subs trick before you began the game? And, if so, did it work for you?
See this post.

It ain't worked for me, yet -- I think you need to begin a new game for it to work. Certain lines should be longer and have more detail to them, such as...
(click to show/hide)

If you wanna' see what some have dug up for the lines, go here on their official boards -- namely, they begin showing some of those off on the 2nd page and on.

I'm definitely gonna re-play the game, so I will see when the time comes, if that change will work or not when beginning a new game....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #144 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 11:17:41 AM »
Yeah, I've seen the cards.  I honestly don't see what the big deal is.  I thought they were mostly tasteful, boobs or no.

And no, the Long English script didn't work for me either.  I think you must have to start a new game, provided that it even works at all.  People are saying that a lot of the lines aren't in their full original form anyway even after you do that, only a few.  So it isn't a perfect solution in either case.

It's really a shame, because this is one of the best RPGs I've played since Baldur's Gate (it reminds me heavily of that in a lot of ways).  While freedom may be something of an illusion here, this is truly the old-school, story-driven RPG done right, and it nails all the stuff that games like Oblivion fuck up or just miss entirely.

So far I have one single niggle (other than the weirdness of the stuttery cutscenes): <pet peeve>the NPCs still eat and drink weird like they do in Oblivion, so instead of having a nice interval setup between drinking animations, you have people who just constantly, over and over again, shove mugs and bottles into their faces as though they haven't had a drink in 30 years and need to make up for lost time.  Why the fuck can't people figure out that you need to put some idle time between those?!</pet peeve>

EDIT - For those interested, the original Wiedzmin show is available again in torrent form after a long absence there.  The only way to get it before was eMule, which is a pain, and they weren't all finished as these aren't official subs, just done by fans.  Thankfully, the entire 13 episodes are now complete, and you can get them all in one pack.  It's actually worth downloading too, as despite the fact that the show feels a little bit low-budget when it comes to effects and such, it's honestly a really good show.  The acting is good, the story is great, and you can tell a lot of love went into its creation (which is no surprise given how popular Sapkowski is in his native land).  Also, it has boobies.

*waits for idol to ask for a copy on DVD*
« Last Edit: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 01:28:48 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #145 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »
Yeah, I've seen the cards.  I honestly don't see what the big deal is.  I thought they were mostly tasteful, boobs or no.
I don't see the big deal, either.

And no, the Long English script didn't work for me either.  I think you must have to start a new game, provided that it even works at all.  People are saying that a lot of the lines aren't in their full original form anyway even after you do that, only a few.  So it isn't a perfect solution in either case.
Bleh...

It's really a shame, because this is one of the best RPGs I've played since Baldur's Gate (it reminds me heavily of that in a lot of ways).  While freedom may be something of an illusion here, this is truly the old-school, story-driven RPG done right, and it nails all the stuff that games like Oblivion fuck up or just miss entirely.
I think what makes it kind of an illusion to some, is that there are so many side quests to do.

I mean, shit -- you could probably just follow the main stuff and be fine. But, hell -- you'd be missing out on a lot of the side stuff, as well.

Regardless, they definitely took what they saw that was great about the greats they localized like BG series and PS:T -- give some freedom to explore in some cases (i.e. In Act 2, you can explore Vizima and its shitload of main and side quests to do), give no freedom to explore some cases (used to push the main story w/ a good deal of depth straight ahead), give some quests w/ only one result to them (i.e., I finished the quest as you said), and give some quests w/ multiple results to them (i.e. I pick to takes side w/ either Side A, Side B, Side C, or whatever other side).

So far I have one single niggle (other than the weirdness of the stuttery cutscenes): <pet peeve>the NPCs still eat and drink weird like they do in Oblivion, so instead of having a nice interval setup between drinking animations, you have people who just constantly, over and over again, shove mugs and bottles into their faces as though they haven't had a drink in 30 years and need to make up for lost time.  Why the fuck can't people figure out that you need to put some idle time between those?!</pet peeve>
LMAO!!! I didn't even notice this!!! I'mma have to look for this!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 03:31:24 PM »
*waits for idol to ask for a copy on DVD*
At least you know what to get me for Christmas now. And its cheap! :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 03:59:50 PM »
Why wait for Christmas, I have presents for you now!

(I don't know why I find this so funny, but I totally thought of you when I saw this chick bent over washing clothes)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 04:13:50 PM »
haha...damn I am so buying this game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #149 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 04:50:53 PM »
Pssssh....That's mild compared to some of the stuff in the "cards" in the UK Version of the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, November 11, 2007, 11:26:10 PM »
Sweet, out here we get the UK versions ;D

Alright I'll seek your advice guys: If I come across it today shall I pick it up or shall I wait?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #151 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 12:33:17 AM »
I know how frustrated you got with NWN2.

Just hold on till it patches. That's my opinion anyway.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #152 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 01:14:07 AM »
I know how frustrated you got with NWN2.

Just hold on till it patches. That's my opinion anyway.
Yeah, that's true. I didn't respect NWN2 until much later. Honestly NWN2 didn't get great until the latest update, and the expansion pack enhanced it significantly.

In the case of The Witcher, you're right, it might be wiser to wait it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #153 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 01:14:46 AM »
It's a crapshoot.  I've been playing it for several days, hours at a stretch, and I've experienced not a single error of any kind barring the really minor things I've mentioned.  The only technical error is the shadows which don't quite work properly, and the only gameplay error has been that you can pick up multiple dice boxes which all count as quest items.  Be warned - pick up one, and don't pick up any more!  I only picked up two, but one guy on a forum I read picked up six.  I don't know if there's any way to ever remove them, either.

But seriously, that's the extent of my errors.  XP users have claimed to experience some crashes as well, but Vista users are the ones getting it the worst.  Most XP users seem to be at least relatively okay.

Also, I figured out what was wrong with the cutscenes - it is related completely, 100% to the depth of field effect that it uses.  I noticed the game proper never seemed to use this, yet there was a check for it in the option, and since the cutscenes were the only thing that was choppy, I started to wonder if that was the problem.  Unchecked it, talked to somebody, and... wham.  Smooth as silk.  I don't know if its my video card or what, but whatever.  I love the effect, but honestly, it makes very little difference in the end if its off.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly satisfied.  This game is truly great.  I'm definitely noticing areas where the dialogue suffers from being truncated.  They really did utterly butcher the script.  The lines are generally fine individually, it's just that a lot of the time they don't fit well together, and the end result is sort of a mess.  However, there are other times when they work fine and it isn't too noticeable.  But other than that, everything else is just getting better and better.  I love the art design, the setting, the story, and the characters, and now that I've gotten into the combat, I'm seeing why people like it so much.  It feels clunky at first until you realize how it's actually supposed to work, and when you're dancing like a mad idiot between targets, avoiding blows and all that... man, it looks beautiful and is actually good fun.  I think the overhead camera is preferable for combat, though I prefer the over-the-shoulder camera more, generally speaking.

And this is a horrible, formless ramble of a post.  Sorry.  I'll go back and make a few highlights just because this is such a mess.

EDIT - Shit.  2nd night in a row staying up past 3 with this one.  The end of the first chapter was spectacular, as was the beginning of the second.  This game reminds me of so many other good games... it's great.  It's new and nostalgic all at once.  It reminds me of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, the original Gothic, and a bunch of other stuff, yet it's totally got its own thing happening.  My novel work is pretty much screwed for the rest of this week, I think.  Damn.
« Last Edit: Monday, November 12, 2007, 04:24:38 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 03:37:04 PM »
It's a crapshoot.  I've been playing it for several days, hours at a stretch, and I've experienced not a single error of any kind barring the really minor things I've mentioned.  The only technical error is the shadows which don't quite work properly, and the only gameplay error has been that you can pick up multiple dice boxes which all count as quest items.  Be warned - pick up one, and don't pick up any more!  I only picked up two, but one guy on a forum I read picked up six.  I don't know if there's any way to ever remove them, either.
I think I've got around 3 sets of dice. LOL.

But seriously, that's the extent of my errors.  XP users have claimed to experience some crashes as well, but Vista users are the ones getting it the worst.  Most XP users seem to be at least relatively okay.
Game froze on me once -- after I beat the Beast. Only bug I suffered. Reloaded my last save, beat him again -- no problem, 2nd time around. Go figure.

Also, I figured out what was wrong with the cutscenes - it is related completely, 100% to the depth of field effect that it uses.  I noticed the game proper never seemed to use this, yet there was a check for it in the option, and since the cutscenes were the only thing that was choppy, I started to wonder if that was the problem.  Unchecked it, talked to somebody, and... wham.  Smooth as silk.  I don't know if its my video card or what, but whatever.  I love the effect, but honestly, it makes very little difference in the end if its off.
I noticed that, too -- first time I ran the game, it ran terrible in cut-scenes; anywhere from 6-15 frames. Turned it off -- boom, I'm in the 30's to 50's.

Anyway, I'm thoroughly satisfied.  This game is truly great.  I'm definitely noticing areas where the dialogue suffers from being truncated.  They really did utterly butcher the script.  The lines are generally fine individually, it's just that a lot of the time they don't fit well together, and the end result is sort of a mess.  However, there are other times when they work fine and it isn't too noticeable.  But other than that, everything else is just getting better and better.  I love the art design, the setting, the story, and the characters, and now that I've gotten into the combat, I'm seeing why people like it so much.  It feels clunky at first until you realize how it's actually supposed to work, and when you're dancing like a mad idiot between targets, avoiding blows and all that... man, it looks beautiful and is actually good fun.  I think the overhead camera is preferable for combat, though I prefer the over-the-shoulder camera more, generally speaking.

I find that yes, a fair amount seems truncated b/c sometimes, something feels missing. For example, some conversations, you think you're about to get the reason for something, yet you don't -- see the "persecution" lines from the Dwaven Blacksmith in the Outskirts of Vizima. Namely, I bet it was chopped off b/c of the extremely foul language w/ sexual content originally planned for it.

Then, on the other hand, say you have this VERY long conversation w/ say the weird scientist kinda' guy (what the hell is his name?), about philosophies and stuff -- and it's VERY lengthy and wordy, definitely not feeling chopped off; probably b/c there's no foul language and sexual content there. Hell, I dunno....

I find myself, when just moving around the gameworld (especially say a city), using OTS (like KOTOR). I am in this view, a good majority of the time now.

When I'm in a big battle, I use Closer Isometric view (like BG or NWN).

And this is a horrible, formless ramble of a post.  Sorry.  I'll go back and make a few highlights just because this is such a mess.

EDIT - Shit.  2nd night in a row staying up past 3 with this one.  The end of the first chapter was spectacular, as was the beginning of the second.  This game reminds me of so many other good games... it's great.  It's new and nostalgic all at once.  It reminds me of Baldur's Gate, Planescape: Torment, the original Gothic, and a bunch of other stuff, yet it's totally got its own thing happening.  My novel work is pretty much screwed for the rest of this week, I think.  Damn.
That's a great comparison -- a mix of BG, PS:T, and Gothic; but, it also throws in a lot of its own spins, too.

The Witcher's outstanding. RPG of The Year, I think.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #155 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 04:35:13 PM »
To be honest, I'm almost leaning toward Game of the Year at this point.  I don't think there'd be any question about it if it weren't for the script problems and such.

And the script definitely wasn't messed with for censorship reasons.  There's still plenty of foul language about, even just stuff with random passers-by ("I fucked a she-elf, once."), and the UK, which didn't have any art censored, got the same treatment.  Word around the water cooler is that it was Atari that specifically requested the dialogue be stripped down to something shorter.  The *length* is apparently what was in question, not the content, and this has led a lot of people to believe they wanted to save cash on voice actors.  I don't really feel like that's a sensible argument, as you don't pay actors by the hour as far as I know, and how much studio time would you *really* save?  Doesn't seem like it would be anything much at all in the grand scheme of things.  A few hours at the end of it, and who fucking cares about a few hours?

So yeah, I don't know.  I'm just glad that it's only some of the probably less interesting conversations on the whole that feel stilted.  Most of the narration and most of the longer, more philosophical stuff (like you said) seems more natural, so I guess that must be more intact and true to the original spirit.  All the Polish people I've seen on forums indicate that the game is really quite grand writing-wise in their home country, and the English-speakers agree that the English stuff was fairly botched.

I'm inclined to go throw rocks through a few of Atari's windows for it.  Can't wait for the SDK so hopefully somebody can mod the original script back in.  From what I've looked at of the game mechanically, it seems a fair amount may be possible once we get the tools.

But yeah... as it stands right now, this is my GOTY, and I played some damned good games this year.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #156 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 06:07:04 PM »
News on upcoming Patch 1.2 from CDPR.

Quote from: Brysui of CRPR
Quote from: Link006 on November 09, 2007, 03:56:42 pm
Besides the auto-save removal and optimization of load times, what other stuff are you working on?
Many smaller issues, we are also thinking on improving sword sheathing during fights, as well as on some improvements in the inventory. We are also doing compatibility tests for some uncanny computer specs.
Oooh, good -- I could use some INVENTORY Improvements; especially for sorting options and whatnot.

I hope the compatibility tests are for systems like Jack's -- and those who got Vista. They really NEED this game!

Quote from: Brysui of CDPR
Quote from: sd1612 on November 11, 2007, 12:41:54 pm[/quote
will 1.2 be compatible with current game status? Or is it recommended to start it from scratch?
Some changes in the next patch may take effect only after starting from scratch, I'm afraid.
Bah! I need to finish this damn thing soon so I can go back and enjoy some of the fixes!! :P I don't wanna start over right now!!

Quote from: Brysui of CDPR
Quote from: bhagavate on November 11, 2007, 02:54:54 pm
can you add CG main menu option (view complete game movies/art(pictures after main game decisions, collected cards etc  ) in next patch? i really want to see again some movies
(click to show/hide)
at any time and to see overall progress (how many remain endings/cards/middle_endings,  etc)

That's a nice idea, we will think about it ;)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #157 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 07:51:55 PM »
Registering
Has anyone Registered their copy of the game yet?

Right now -- you can currently download the entire soundtrack in MP3 format, some extra songs by some bands that are inspired by the game in MP3 format, some of the making of the game content videos, new wallpapers, game guide (volume 1), etc etc.

Of course if you register, extra forums on their boards open up to you, as well.

GamingHeaven Review
87 from GamingHeaven
« Last Edit: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 05:49:13 PM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #159 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 10:34:55 PM »
It's basically a hundred bucks after shipping and tax.  Fucking pricey, but I honestly think I may go for it.  I had no idea that I was going to love this game this much.  No idea at all.

Two things that I'll note just because: firstly, the toxicity effect in this game is awesome.  Don't bother looking for it, just wait until you notice it for the first time and wonder if it's in the game or if it's because you've been playing the game for 10 hours straight.  Secondly, NPCs notice when it rains.  I won't go into further detail because it's more fun to just notice.