Author Topic: WTF? "Pro Gaming" is soooo cheesy  (Read 1348 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
WTF? "Pro Gaming" is soooo cheesy
« on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:09:48 PM »
I don't know if there is possibly a good way to handle this, but they're certainly not doing it right:
http://www.thecgs.com/index.php?s=home

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: WTF? "Pro Gaming" is soooo cheesy
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:14:21 PM »
I've always thought pro gaming was lame. Yes, these people are very good at videogames, but to treat it like a sport is ridiculous. Anything that can be done while you're drunk or high, shouldn't be considered a sport or be treated like one. I also think that playing videogames professionally would take all the fun out of videogames.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 06, 2007, 11:27:47 PM »
No, really - you should watch one of those clips.  It's retarded.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 04:12:04 AM »
I am reminded of how lame pro gaming is any time I see an add for some "Fatal1ty" branded device.  Does anyone even buy that crap?  I think most gamers would be embarrassed to tell anyone they had a Fatal1ty device in their system.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 08:46:14 AM »
I've always thought pro gaming was lame. Yes, these people are very good at videogames, but to treat it like a sport is ridiculous.

I completely agree. I find pro gaming on par with professional poker. Neither is a sport.

Also, I watched about 15 seconds of that video before I was done. Sweet Jesus.

Back when I played Warcraft3, I used to download some of the professional player's videos and watch them. They were actually quite interesting, the level of skill was insane. But it's still not a sport.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 07, 2007, 11:25:11 PM »
Exactly. Just like poker, chess, and Golf. They're not sports, they're games.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 10:50:46 AM »
Really, you can turn anything into a pseudo-sport if you really want to.  I enjoy watching people blow each other up and all, but I've never been able to get into "pro" gaming.  I think we can all agree that it's pretty lame.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 12:07:07 PM »
It's stupid when they make it look like a sport, yes, but I like the idea of competitive gaming.  I played in CAL for a while back in my CS days and it was a blast playing and advancing against the best people in the world.  They're fucking it up, though.  I honestly would probably watch a competitive gaming show if it was legitimately good and they were playing a game I liked.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, September 08, 2007, 08:12:05 PM »
I used to go to Halo tournaments and was all into the competition, but obviously it wasn't like they show in the video. That's just ridiculous. But what do you expect? They are trying to get ratings. Good luck with professional gaming.