Author Topic: I just drove to Sparta, TN to pick up 300 on DVD.  (Read 5171 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
I just drove to Sparta, TN to pick up 300 on DVD.
« on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 11:05:39 PM »
I bought the special edition.  But really, mine's the extra-special edition.

Don't hate.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: I just drove to Sparta, TN to pick up 300 on DVD.
« Reply #1 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 11:07:50 PM »
The amusing part is that there were 2 other walmarts closer to him, but how could you not buy 300 in Sparta, seriously. I need to do that soon.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 11:15:24 PM »
Thats about as nerdy as you can get. Do you keep the receipt in the case?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Monday, July 30, 2007, 11:18:54 PM »
I wasn't planning on it, but that's a very novel idea.  So in short, yes.  Yes I am.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 09:31:36 AM »
This thread is making it apparent that Kams and K-Man are separate people.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 01:15:18 PM »
HAhaha.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 06:44:53 PM »
If it was Kams, he would just come in talking about how 300 sucks because there were Americans involved in the filmmaking process and they should all be shot and hanged then run over by trucks.  That's how you know it isn't Kams.

But yeah... that's cool.  I liked the movie, but I don't know that I liked it enough to own it.  I'd have to see it again.  It was a fun outing to see on opening night at the IMAX, but I think on the whole I was less satisfied with the movie than I felt I should have been.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
I just drove to Sparta, TN to pick up 300 on DVD.
Did you buy it from a salesclerk named Leo?

And if so, was it short for Leonidas?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
Did you buy it from a salesclerk named Leo?

And if so, was it short for Leonidas?

Do you get your joke material from popsicle sticks?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 08:44:12 PM »

No.
Actually, I pulled one straw out of a box of many!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 08:50:32 PM »

lmao....

Never underestimate the quality of the popsicle joke.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, July 31, 2007, 11:55:37 PM »
I bought it today along with "Hot Fuzz"!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 03:18:53 PM »
I bought it today along with "Hot Fuzz"!

Watched 300 and Hot Fuzz last night.

Hot Fuzz was pretty good.

300 was also pretty good.

I still am baffled how, as violent as 300 is, it managed to not get an NC-17 rating. I think this has to be the bloodiest and most violent movie I've ever seen throughout the entire flick -- and I've seen some violent ones, over the years (such as Passion of The Christ, Kill Bill Vol 1, Braveheart, etc etc).

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 04:00:10 PM »
Really? It didn't strike me as particularly bad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, August 01, 2007, 07:45:06 PM »
Really? It didn't strike me as particularly bad.

After the first 35 mins, it really doesn't let up much w/ its action and violence -- w/ the heads flying, chopped off arms chopped off legs, etc etc. Not only this, but most of it is shown in graphic detail and a great majority of it is in slow-motion so that you see every detail. This is pretty much the last 1 hr and a 1/2 of the movie -- violence, violence, and more graphic violence!! :)

And, the piling up off the bodies, using them as shields, and then crushing the enemies w/ them. Yeah, pretty violent stuff. Awesome stuff! That scene rocked.

I really liked 300 -- it was very good. It's a visual bloodfest, to say the least, w/out any compromise what-so-ever. The backgrounds in the movie were just plain awesome. It often felt like I was looking at a surreal 2D painting w/ some 3D characters (actors) just happening to be in there.

I wish the movie was a bit longer -- namely, to flesh out more character depth and plot. Not that the plot and characters were horrible; not by any chance. It's just I wanted it to be outstanding in every regard, since the rest of the movie (especially w/ the acting and the visual/artistic side of the film) did so much right. I felt.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 12:27:09 PM »
After the first 35 mins, it really doesn't let up much w/ its action and violence -- w/ the heads flying, chopped off arms chopped off legs, etc etc. Not only this, but most of it is shown in graphic detail and a great majority of it is in slow-motion so that you see every detail. This is pretty much the last 1 hr and a 1/2 of the movie -- violence, violence, and more graphic violence!! :)

And, the piling up off the bodies, using them as shields, and then crushing the enemies w/ them. Yeah, pretty violent stuff. Awesome stuff! That scene rocked.

I really liked 300 -- it was very good. It's a visual bloodfest, to say the least, w/out any compromise what-so-ever. The backgrounds in the movie were just plain awesome. It often felt like I was looking at a surreal 2D painting w/ some 3D characters (actors) just happening to be in there.

I wish the movie was a bit longer -- namely, to flesh out more character depth and plot. Not that the plot and characters were horrible; not by any chance. It's just I wanted it to be outstanding in every regard, since the rest of the movie (especially w/ the acting and the visual/artistic side of the film) did so much right. I felt.

Snyder's basic goal with making 300 was to mimick the graphic novel it was based on as closely as possible.  The comic series itself isn't terribly long, in fact the relationship between Leonidas and his wife/wife's subplot was added to the movie and barely mentioned in the comic (subplot didn't exist in the comic at all).

As far as the styling, you can directly compare scenes to the same cells in the comic.  So in my opinion, Snyder did the original work a great service.  Anyone who loved the movie should take the time to experience Frank Miller and Lynn Varley's original vision.

the Comic wasn't very "deep" or engaging plot-wise, so the movie suffers from that as well.  However, like a lot of people, I didn't see the movie for an expanded plot.  I saw the movie to experience a 2 hour ballet of asskicking and bloodletting.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Thursday, August 02, 2007, 12:32:05 PM »
As an aside, when Miller made 300 he obviously took the Battle of Thermopylae and made it his own  He actually kept quite a few elements of truth in it though.  For instance, the "We will fight in the shade" exchange actually happened between a spartan and persian.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #17 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 06:47:42 PM »
I far, far preferred the comic.  It has a simple, noble beauty to it that the film version utterly lost.  That said, the film version is really cool for different reasons.  I mean, it's just fun to watch.  I also really liked the way the relationship between Leonidas and his wife was handled.  I think in part it was because I just liked both actors, but it was surprising to me how tastefully it was done.  There was a fairly hot and heavy sex scene in there, but it didn't strike me as cheap the way 99% of those do.  I couldn't tell you why... I'd need to see it again.

Anyway, it was good, but not great.  On the whole I think Sin City was a much better adaptation.  Still, it was far from bad, and there are a lot of things to like about it.  I wasn't really disappointed.  It turned out about like I thought it would.  I think it was just slightly overdone in certain ways... had they cut back on that, it would have been pretty damned close to the comic.

Also, I think the guy who plays Leonidas (his name escapes me) was absolutely fucking perfect.  Whoever got him into that role deserves an award.  I think that was my favorite element of the whole film... he just seemed born to play the role in terms of attitude, acting, physique, actual facial features... it was really cool.

Lastly (I just keep making points when I think I'm done, heh), I didn't really find the film overly violent.  I mean, obviously it *was*, but I think it was so over-the-top and a lot of it obviously CG and such that it didn't affect me all that much.  I would say Braveheart seems far more violent to me because it depicts it much more realistically (even if it isn't entirely realistic).

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 08:13:40 PM »
Quote from: Que
I far, far preferred the comic.  It has a simple, noble beauty to it that the film version utterly lost.  That said, the film version is really cool for different reasons.  I mean, it's just fun to watch.  I also really liked the way the relationship between Leonidas and his wife was handled.  I think in part it was because I just liked both actors, but it was surprising to me how tastefully it was done.  There was a fairly hot and heavy sex scene in there, but it didn't strike me as cheap the way 99% of those do.  I couldn't tell you why... I'd need to see it again.
Lena and Gerard did a greatjob of making their relationship look good -- in their acting. Their relationship was very convincing. Their chemistry on screen was great. If any of those two actors blew any of that, the sex scene would be way out of place -- and pointless.

I also think the hot and heavy sex scene also didn't feel cheap b/c right along w/ most of the movie itself, it was majorly heightened, in some way. It stays w/ the rest of the flick's tone and timing -- especially w/ the use of slow-motion and the way it is aiming at being artsy. I say it's artsy b/c of the different shades of blue the scene uses. It's namely the only colin in that scene, BTW

Most movies, the sex scenes are heightened in some form like it's euphoric or dreamlike -- whether it's in the scene's lighting, the usage of slow motion, the music, the sound, etc etc. This just often don't work, when the rest of the film often has a heavy base of "Reality" thrown.

Anyway, it was good, but not great.  On the whole I think Sin City was a much better adaptation.  Still, it was far from bad, and there are a lot of things to like about it.  I wasn't really disappointed.  It turned out about like I thought it would.  I think it was just slightly overdone in certain ways... had they cut back on that, it would have been pretty damned close to the comic.
I did not read either graphic comic....
...but I can say that I preferred The Sin City movie over the 300 Movie.

Also, I think the guy who plays Leonidas (his name escapes me) was absolutely fucking perfect.  Whoever got him into that role deserves an award.  I think that was my favorite element of the whole film... he just seemed born to play the role in terms of attitude, acting, physique, actual facial features... it was really cool.
Gerard Butler is his name.
I thought he was awesome in this movie, as well.

Lastly (I just keep making points when I think I'm done, heh), I didn't really find the film overly violent.  I mean, obviously it *was*, but I think it was so over-the-top and a lot of it obviously CG and such that it didn't affect me all that much.  I would say Braveheart seems far more violent to me because it depicts it much more realistically (even if it isn't entirely realistic).
Even though Braveheart was more realistically grounded in its violence, something struck me about the combo of the over-the-top violence with the beat-to-death slow-motion 300 had going on. The film basically made you keep up w/ the war-like action here, actually -- unlike most war flicks. To me, you got, for the most part, to see and feel just about every blow -- every single vicious decapitation, body part chopped off, etc etc etc. For the most part, it was a slow-motion dance; a waltz of violence and death.

Offline ender

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 07:02:00 AM »
Damn it. I should have thought of this. I bought mine in Rockwood, TN. NOTHING COOL ABOUT THAT.

Offline ender

« Reply #20 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 07:02:42 AM »
I far, far preferred the comic.  It has a simple, noble beauty to it that the film version utterly lost. 

I agree with you whole heartedly on that, Que.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 02:13:27 PM »
I saw this for the first time last night.  Actually, I missed the first 15 minutes or so.  I don't think I liked 300 as much as Sin City, but it was still pretty badass.  I enjoyed it.  I'm planning to pick up a copy next time I'm out and about.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
I don't think I liked 300 as much as Sin City, but it was still pretty badass.  I enjoyed it. 
My sentiments exactly.