Author Topic: Broken Sword: Angel of Death REVIEWS  (Read 4594 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Broken Sword: Angel of Death REVIEWS
« on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 03:49:32 PM »
« Last Edit: Monday, September 25, 2006, 02:02:57 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Broken Sword: Angel of Death REVIEWS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 04:45:28 PM »
I might agree with them, but from what I've experienced so far the controls are irritating! And you can't skip dialogue!

Overall I think it's a big step down from BS3 (The Sleeping Dragon). I'm a Broken Sword fan, and honestly I'm not impressed with this one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 05:46:10 PM »
I might agree with them, but from what I've experienced so far the controls are irritating! And you can't skip dialogue!

Overall I think it's a big step down from BS3 (The Sleeping Dragon). I'm a Broken Sword fan, and honestly I'm not impressed with this one.

I wish I could've gotten BS3: Sleeping Dragon running on this computer; it just don't wanna run, for some reason. :(

It runs on my old PC, though....

You got any clue why BS3: Sleeping might not work on my XP-based rig?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 06:51:03 PM »
I wish I could've gotten BS3: Sleeping Dragon running on this computer; it just don't wanna run, for some reason. :(

It runs on my old PC, though....

You got any clue why BS3: Sleeping might not work on my XP-based rig?

Hmm, I've only ever played on an XP system. What sort of error do you get? Or does it just not load up at all?

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 07:00:01 PM »
Yeah, I've got it running on myh pc right now (with xp).  Maybe it has something to do with starforce?  I've run into problems with it before and prince of persia.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 07:56:33 PM »
Hmm, I've only ever played on an XP system. What sort of error do you get? Or does it just not load up at all?

It just won't boot up; period.
XIII does the same thing, too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 07:57:20 PM »
Yeah, I've got it running on myh pc right now (with xp).  Maybe it has something to do with starforce?  I've run into problems with it before and prince of persia.

That'd be funny, b/c I never ever had problems w/ other SF-based games....hmm....

EDIT:
So, I was bored and decided to REINSTALL on my XP rig Broken Sword: The Sleeping Dragon. Well, what do you know -- I install it, click to boot it up, and it freakin' ran instantly. Ummm......okay.....I wonder why it would not work before on this PC, but it works now....Damned if I know....
« Last Edit: Saturday, September 16, 2006, 09:29:59 PM by MysterD »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 06:42:07 AM »
Haha good to hear it's working :P It's my favourite BS game so far.

BS4, while it seems to be graphically more impressive, has a lot of tedious aspects. Although point & click sounds easy nough the way the characters follows your cursor can be retarded, and the camera angle shift make it sometimes awkward. But the the most annoying thing so far is the incoherent and illogical 'puzzles' they've thrown into it! They completely mislead you! For example:
(click to show/hide)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 07:50:35 AM »
Haha good to hear it's working :P It's my favourite BS game so far.
I been playing it....Here's where I am in BS3....
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »
Y'know I kinda miss BS3, I might reinstall it if I get fed up with BS4.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:11:31 PM »
I'm liking it a lot right now, and the puzzles seem pretty good.  I'm not too far ahead of MyD, and I love the control scheme.  It's a shame that they changed it, but I can just see some PC gaming purists bitching about it when BS3 came out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:22:56 PM »
I'm liking it a lot right now, and the puzzles seem pretty good.  I'm not too far ahead of MyD, and I love the control scheme.  It's a shame that they changed it, but I can just see some PC gaming purists bitching about it when BS3 came out.
I find nothing wrong w/ the controls of BS3. They actually work quite well, if you ask me -- just like the controls in Dreamfall were fine, too.

It's just the action elements in Dreamfall weren't designed so hot, which I did think hurt the game.

BS3, so far, is quite good and I am quite enjoying this one. Beautiful artistic quality in the graphics, I must say. And it runs great, too.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, September 17, 2006, 03:59:32 PM »
I still don't see why they changed the controls in BS4 so drastically! I wish they atleast gave you the option to use the keyboard or joypad.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Monday, September 18, 2006, 10:19:50 PM »
Man, after playing a lot more of Broken Sword 4 I can safely say it's the worst of the BS games. For the sake of the argument I'll compare and contrast it with BS3.

The controls are the first obvious problem I have with BS4. I know what they were trying to do; they were trying to renovate the classic point & click adventure style, but frankly it fails miserably. The second and most inexcusable flaw I've noticed is the absence of emotion in the characters! The very beginning of the game is pretty dry and you never really notice, but when you see the cinematics you really see how plain and 'unanimated' they are. In comparison to BS3, which had some pretty good action cinematics and cutscenes, BS4 seems entirely animated with the basic character movement animations. BS4 is just completely devoid of any sense of action or drama when it comes to the cinematics, unlike BS3.

BS4 is graphically superior to BS3, but that's about it. In all the previous BS games the puzzles were compelling, coherent, and logical! They actually make you think. In BS4 only a handful of the puzzles make sense, and you they don't just require you to think, you need to completely release yourself of your mental constraints and think outside the limits of common sense. Ok, I might be exaggerating a little, but my point remains that BS4 just doesn't feel like it was as well thought-out as any of its predecessors.

The story seems alright so far, so that's the only reason I'm still playing it. I haven't finished it yet, but when I do I'll give my final "set in stone" decision on it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 08:47:18 PM »
Funny line from George in BS3, after being Knighted by the Templars and being asked what he should be called by Beatrice: "Lord Stobbart of Idaho will do just fine for now..."

I find that when I look at Broken Sword 3, the game is loaded w/ jokes and punchlines -- yes, unlike most modern games. More games should be this funny and witty.

How are the wit and jokes and punchlines in Angel of Death????

I found one of the most obscure puzzles in BS3: Sleeping Dragon was the "wine rack" puzzle, in which the answer was basically in your Notebook, but you just had to connect the dots yourself that the Notebook entry (which is something mentioned earlier in the game, in a conversation) is connected to the locations of the wine bottles, basically. I wish that his Notebook was sorted by chapters, days and titled and all of that, myself -- like an RPG would do or something. Would make it easier.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:10:52 PM »
BS4 does have a bit of wit; George has a lot to share :P But it's not quite as funny or common as BS3. BS3 is by far the best of the 4 games. The puzzles were great, they made me think a bit, and yet I never needed to resort to a walkthrough.

The puzzles in BS4 vary from obvious to convoluted to WTF?! A lot of them don't make sense, and the only reason I figured them out was pure coincidence or by mistake (I accidentally clicked on something or used an item with it). This is one game where you literally have to test every item in your inventory with everything you can possibly interact with. The puzzles in BS4 don't just provoke your mind, they expect you to think beyond the boundaries of reason. Some puzzles have already been criticized by several gamers, and so Revolution posted the solutions on their site.

Another frustrating part: the controls. Point & click doesn't well in this game at all. It should, but for some reason they didn't execute it very well. I wish they just kept everything just like BS3.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, October 24, 2006, 09:20:17 PM »
BS4 does have a bit of wit; George has a lot to share :P But it's not quite as funny or common as BS3.
How unfortunate.

BS3 is by far the best of the 4 games. The puzzles were great, they made me think a bit, and yet I never needed to resort to a walkthrough.
So far, it's been pretty good.

The puzzles in BS4 vary from obvious to convoluted to WTF?! A lot of them don't make sense, and the only reason I figured them out was pure coincidence or by mistake (I accidentally clicked on something or used an item with it). This is one game where you literally have to test every item in your inventory with everything you can possibly interact with. The puzzles in BS4 don't just provoke your mind, they expect you to think beyond the boundaries of reason. Some puzzles have already been criticized by several gamers, and so Revolution posted the solutions on their site.
Personally, I think more games should go the route Keepsake went.

What Keepsake does is offer up THREE hints per puzzle, if you want them. And you can give up after that, if you want the SOLUTION to a puzzle.

I do want to play that game. IGN said the first half was great w/ the logical puzzles, while the 2nd half was illogical-puzzle city.

Another frustrating part: the controls. Point & click doesn't well in this game at all. It should, but for some reason they didn't execute it very well. I wish they just kept everything just like BS3.
I like the controls in BS3.