Author Topic: Starsiege 2845 ATR (alpha/beta/demo) = Oct 18th  (Read 2566 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Starsiege 2845 ATR (alpha/beta/demo) = Oct 18th
« on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 09:16:35 PM »
ATR

Starsiege 2845 is a new Starsiege game (duh). They are working for free using the Torque engine. The ATR is a test release to show progress and give you an idea of what they are doing. When done, the multiplayer will be free, and they will hand over the SP and everything else over to VU Games, who own the rights to the name and stuff. They dont even know if they will get paid for their work, and VU could sell the game they made. These guys are hardcore and just want to see another SS title.

The ATR will be on Torque, but the final will be on the new Torque Shader Engine.

Anyway...Oct 18th you can download and jump in a HERC and crush things.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Starsiege 2845 ATR (alpha/beta/demo) = Oct 18th
« Reply #1 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 09:36:34 PM »
That's friggin' sweet.  Though I haven't played an SS game for a long, long time now.  Might have to give it a shot.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Monday, October 16, 2006, 11:51:48 PM »
Sweet! It's nice to see that title again :P It's been years since I've played Starsiege. I got hooked on the Tribes spin-off :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 02:28:15 PM »
Is this being made by the original guys that made Tribes?
Or some modders...?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 03:35:02 PM »
Modders...but modders isnt really the right term. They are pretty professional (some even have regular jobs in the industry).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 03:36:19 PM »
Modders...but modders isnt really the right term. They are pretty professional (some even have regular jobs in the industry).

Interesting.

If you have any idea, did any of them who are pro's work on Tribes 1, 2, or Vengeance?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »
I couldnt really tell you. I doubt anyone involved with Vengeance is working with them. Maybe some T1/T2 people, I'm not sure.

The odd deal with VU to make it an official SS game means they got the guy who came up with the universe to write the story and events so it will all make sense. Which is cool.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 07:07:27 PM »
That really is cool.  Everybody should support this.  I really hope it turns out well, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 05:17:46 AM »
Maybe I'll try it out, but I'm not going to bother with something called an "alpha tech release."

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, October 18, 2006, 10:42:18 AM »
Released

622 MB

It's 2 am and we're all dead tired so I'm keeping this short and sweet.

Just finished making the installer, I'm starting the upload it to FF now. The file size is 622mb. This will take some time on my DSL connection. Pray I do not have any service interruptions tonight.

If I had to guess, provided there are no issues, you'll probably see the thing go up on FF mid day (EST).

Some things to be aware of

There are some key things that we did not get finished in time, most notably lock on and weapon convergance for the hercs. Expect to see a patch in a couple of weeks that will address this issue and some others. I strongly recommend that anyone that volunteered for the burning tree wait until after the patch to do any burning and distributing.

Balancing is rudimentary at best and all done on paper. Aside from not having enough time we could never get enough people together in a server at one time for long periods in order to do proper balancing, so we'll be watching the servers to see what we need to do in that area.

I don't think I have to tell you the thing is buggy as hell. Well, maybe I do. It's buggy as hell.

I have a trade show I am stuck at for most of the day tomorrow but the testers and rest of our dev staff will be around to answer questions and provide advice.

There's probably some more I should say but I'm having issues staying awake so I'm off to bed. Look for a more coherent replacement post from me tomorrow and some other additional info and stuff.