Author Topic: Project AM2R release! "Another Metroid 2 Remake"  (Read 2900 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Project AM2R release! "Another Metroid 2 Remake"
« on: Saturday, August 06, 2016, 09:41:56 PM »
Get it here!

As the name suggests its a remake of sorts of Metroid 2. The impressions Ive seen from people that have tried it are really impressed with it. Probably a good idea to download it sooner rather than later considering its not official and we don't know when/if Nintendo will drop the hammer on it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Project AM2R release! "Another Metroid 2 Remake"
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »
Downloaded it yesterday and would recommend to any Metroid fan. I haven't given it more than a half hour, but the look, feel, sound, and writing are all well above what I expected. I really wish I had time to dig into it right now.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 09:35:52 PM »
Aaaaand it's gone..
Game Informer

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 07, 2016, 09:50:23 PM »
Good thing I grabbed it, then.  The page is still up, though, and one of the links is a torrent. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Monday, August 08, 2016, 11:40:28 AM »
Expected, but its out there and will be shared around. Just takes a little digging.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #5 on: Monday, August 08, 2016, 01:20:04 PM »
Expected, but its out there and will be shared around. Just takes a little digging.
Yeah, if anyone wants it I have the file and the torrent.

Btw, it is pretty awesome. Nintendo should hire these guys!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Monday, August 08, 2016, 03:50:14 PM »
Why would they do that, when they can just continue to make Metroid games people don't actually want that won't actually sell?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Re: Project AM2R release! "Another Metroid 2 Remake"
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 04:00:20 AM »
Why would they do that, when they can just continue to make Metroid games people don't actually want that won't actually sell?
Fair point. It is their prerogative.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 09:18:24 AM »
If I were them, I absolutely would have offered these guys a job, or at the very least offered to buy their existing work, to turn it into a full product. This is probably more exciting to Metroid fans than anything Nintendo has done since the first Prime. They just don't seem to understand this franchise at all.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 09:57:46 AM »
Metroid Prime 2 was excellent too, I thought, except for the sharp difficulty spike at the very end.  I still managed to finish it the first time I played it.

Hiring outsiders who engage in such projects is not going to happen.  I doubt they'd want every Tom, Dick and Hacker getting encouraged to try following the same path into Nintendo.  Plus, you know, "not invented here".  There may be some legal reasons for that philosophy.  Not sure.  I do know they need to protect their IP actively, or risk losing it.

Playing devil's advocate, maybe they knew about this project before, but found it impressive enough to let it come to fruition, then C&D'd it, after it was already in the wild.  Satisfy legalities, let us have it unofficially.  It could happen . . . maybe.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 01:55:36 PM »
Oh sure, I understand the philosophy. It's just stupid because they don't seem to understand their own IP or what it's actually worth to people, so on some level it seems a shame they don't allow people who love it and understand it to do things like this with it.

And yes, I loved Prime 2. I actually consider it my favorite Metroid game. But it wasn't especially popular compared to the first for most people, or at least so I gather.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 02:29:24 PM »
Yea I consider Prime 1 & 2 to be amazing, I have a hard time deciding one over the other. I still havent played 3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, August 09, 2016, 05:57:56 PM »
I never got to finish 3. I got divorced, lost the Wii, and that was that. I was really enjoying it, too. Always been a little bummed out that I didn't get to finish it, especially since I imagine it's more difficult to emulate what with the motion control stuff. But it's been so long I don't really even remember how that stuff worked.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, September 03, 2016, 05:17:55 PM »
This game is fantastic.  I got to 80% completion last night, likely within an hour or two of the end.  started it up this morning, accidentally opened two instances.  Saves corrupted, completely gone.

I'm not doing it again.  if any of you play and have/get to a save around that point I'd love to have a copy.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, September 04, 2016, 02:33:16 PM »
Grabbed a save from Sy that put me about where I was before the save corruption.  Finished the game this morning.  This truly is on par with the GBA metroids, and if not for the technical issues I experienced (slowdown, couple glitches along the way), I would for sure put it above Fusion and maybe even above Zero Mission.  It also ties in very nicely with Super Metroid at the end.

Nintendo, as expected, has put the foot down with a C&D, but AM2R won't be disappearing from the internet anytime soon. 

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 09, 2016, 08:33:31 PM »
Just beat the game. It was really great and might as well be an official Metroid game. I ended with 100% items but with over 7 hours on the clock nowhere close to getting the extra endings, haha. Will likely watch those on youtube because it'll be a while before I want to replay this. And even then I'm not much of a speed runner.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 09, 2016, 09:02:25 PM by idolminds »