Author Topic: Owen Wilson Tries To End It All  (Read 6052 times)

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
Re: Owen Wilson Tries To End It All
« Reply #40 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 05:05:28 PM »
Interesting read, so do you think he was just..."warming up" (lack of a better word)? Do you think he might try it again?

I also read an update that says he didn't take any pills.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #41 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 05:33:47 PM »
I think that the point is, we have no idea. Maybe he will do it again, and maybe not. But we shouldn't trivialize it as an attention-seeking move when clearly there is a trend towards more problematic things.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 06:05:54 PM »
Nick, he very well could.  And Ghandi is spot on with what I'm trying to convey here.

Every day we (mental health workers) have to make potentially life or death decisions.  It's easy to become complacent when dealing with the suicide attempts that aren't serious/successful.  Sometimes they are doing it for attention because that's the only way they know how to get it.  But regardless of the motive the attempt within itself is indicative of a problem.  It's terribly hard to judge human behavior.

Case in point:  A coworker of mine assessed a lady who had superficially attempted suicide and was convinced to come to our walk-in center by her sister.  The client initially agreed to stay at our inpatient unit for a few days, but around day 2 she began to state she wanted to go home.  Client outwardly appeared fine, even laughed and joked amongst other clients and staff.  We didn't want her to go home, but realistically if she was telling us she was fine, contracted for safety,etc (and given her outward appearance) we had no basis to keep her or commit her to a psych hospital.  We let her go.  This is a lady that a lot of us interacted with at some point during her stay.  We all agreed that while it probably wasn't in her best interests to go home, we thought she would be safe.

Wrong.  She went home that night, grabbed a shotgun, and almost literally blew her head off at her husband's grave.  Ends up one of our Nurse practicioners (who has been in the field for a while) had called her suicidal statements and superficial attempt malingering and accused her of being manipulative. 

Even we get it wrong sometimes, which is why it is so important to take every attempt, no matter how trivial or superficial it may seem, seriously.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 06:44:01 PM »
Que: You follow me around every thread to bad mouth me, even in the gaming forum. Don't try to act like you're the good guy here you hypocritical, lying...how about I keep this short and just say fuck you?

By all means, do whatever you feel is necessary to reduce how frequently you open your gaping orifice to spew out what you have the audacity to call thoughts.  I never said I was the good guy, though I certainly deny that you matter enough to me to "follow" you anywhere, much less go out of my way to denounce your character regularly when you do such a smashing job of that on your own.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 30, 2007, 08:15:49 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 12:17:18 PM »
By all means, do whatever you feel is necessary to reduce how frequently you open your gaping orifice to spew out what you have the audacity to call thoughts.  I never said I was the good guy, though I certainly deny that you matter enough to me to "follow" you anywhere, much less go out of my way to denounce your character regularly when you do such a smashing job of that on your own.

I guess there is no more to be said, seeing as we both see eye to eye on you being a piece of shit.

Out of curiosity K-Man, what exactly constitutes as a suicide attempt? Does there have to be a level of severity for it to technically be called a suicide attempt?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 31, 2007, 12:35:50 PM »
No. Any intentional, willing participation in immediate self-harm with the intention (or percieved intention) of death should be classified as a suicide attempt.