Author Topic: I'm thinking about spending way too much on a watch.  (Read 6255 times)

Offline Antares

• Veteran
I'm thinking about spending way too much on a watch.
« on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:14:55 PM »
Here

Bonus time comming up soon.  Not necessarily that exact watch, but something in the price range perhaps.

Discuss.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: I'm thinking about spending way too much on a watch.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:18:07 PM »
There are a ton of $400 Citizen watches I like.  The watch you linked... I hate it.  I don't like the digital readout at all, and it doesn't really exude the class that I think a $400 watch should.

Oh, BTW, I get 20% off at The Watch Station and Watch World, so if you see anything you like at either of those places, let me know.

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:26:27 PM »
I've never heard of either place.  I actually just started looking, tonight.  I liked the "tactile" features of the watch as well as the overall look, but I've never seen it in person, which is pretty necessary.

Edit: looking at citizen's website now.  I'm not a huge fan of the overly busy dials, but I do like the fact that the website isn't too snobish to put prices on the damn webpage.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:34:02 PM »
The Watch Station is basically Sunglass Hut for watches.  I've never heard of Watch World either.

You can also look here:  http://www.sunglasshut.com/sghus.cfm?dir=templates&page=categorypage&sitecategory=watches

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:37:23 PM »
who would wear this?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, September 20, 2006, 08:45:33 PM »
My watch was $12 at Target. It tells the time. I'm happy. Its simmilar to this one.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 07:19:48 AM »
wouldn't spend that much on a watch :s

Mine was about $75 but it doesn't like me.. must haves for me - glow in the dark, water resistant, no big numbers.

these ones i would wear

Taken.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 10:04:09 AM »
yeah, that's a lot of money for a watch, but i guess if you buy a really nice one, it's the only one you'll ever want/need.

i've got a nixon watch at the moment (the one below). it was a fraction of the price you're looking at, but i still thought it was a bit of a frivolous purchase.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 11:55:30 AM »
My watch was free. The only downside is that it doesn't work indoors unless you are near a window:

Seriously, though, I hate wearing watches for some reason. They feel uncomfortable to me. Usually I just look at my phone.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 02:21:35 PM »
This is my watch....

It was on sale when I got it for like $25. If I bought a nice watch it would get all scratched up and ruined at work. So I'd only wear it once in a while, and it's just not worth it for me.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 02:45:10 PM »
I have 3 watches:

An Oakley GMT that cost me ~$750 CAD... I got it while I was in Vegas.
I got an Armani watch that was my high school graduation gift from my parents.  I think it was around $450.
I also used to wear a Roots watch that was like $120.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, September 21, 2006, 02:48:35 PM »
I'm with ghandi.  My phone has made the need for a watch obsolete.  I don't plan on buying a watch unless it's to let everybody know how rich I am.  Considering my current finances, now is certainly not the time.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 08:50:23 AM »
I have an older Timex Ironman watch from maybe almost a decade ago now. Odds are it was like $40ish when it came out . It was from when the glowing background was released instead of just a light... I love the thing. It's a runner's watch, so it's pretty light. It's strange though. Odds are it's probably the brightest piece of clothing I wear as it's got a light blue trim, but I sorta like it for that. It's sorta become my little bit of flash. Also, it's got a few nice character scratches.

But yeah, I'm not too keen on spending huge ammounts of money on watches... or almost anything you wear for that matter. That probably stems from how much people use clothing as a needless status symbol, especially in the range of watches and stuff like that. Generally I'll see a guy with a big expensive looking watch and my mind just labels them as a dick.
« Last Edit: Friday, September 22, 2006, 06:30:49 PM by sirean_syan »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 11:07:56 AM »
I used to wear an Aeronautic watch that I got as a high school graduation gift, it was nice, but it kept getting scratched up and banged up a lot when I was at work so I just went back to using my little R2-D2 keychain "watch", fits in my pocket, its small and its fucking R2-D2.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 06:02:14 PM »
Julia bought me this one... I dig Fossil watches.  That's pretty much it, might be slightly different... it's the closest I could find on the site.  I love it.  I hate cell phones with a rage that knows no earthly bounds, so I very much use a watch.  I also have a chained pocket watch I got from my mom some years ago that I wear to fancy shindigs.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 10:58:54 PM »
You have nearly the same watch I do Que. My brother got it for me for Christmas, it rocks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 11:06:28 PM »
Yeah, I love mine.  It looks clean, it's silver (I'm not big on gold), it's nice enough to wear just about wherever, but it's casual enough to wear just hanging around.  One time at a concert this guy came up to me and he was like, "Dude, why're you blingin' at a metal show?"  It was funny.  I just said, "You know, gotta' represent".  We laughed.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Cools

« Reply #17 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 11:08:41 PM »
I haven't had a watch for more than 6 years now. I just use my cell.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #18 on: Friday, September 22, 2006, 11:15:37 PM »
Same. I used to wear a watch all the time, but now putting one on just feels uncomfortable. With a cell, there's no need for one.

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #19 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 11:42:50 AM »
With a mobile, you have to pull it out of your pocket and (in my case, anyway) press a button to activate the backlight.
With a watch, you can just slightly rotate your wrist to see what time it is.

Hence, I still carry a watch, for convenience and out of old habit (Seiko SKX173 at the moment).

Offline Antares

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Saturday, September 23, 2006, 10:16:24 PM »
I use my cell right now.  I'm really interested in getting it to wear more as a piece of jewlery when I have to look nice for something.  I have virtually nothing right now.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, September 28, 2006, 11:07:46 AM »
I like the CK watces. I like elegant looks in my watches, without looking grandfathery. The first is the pic of a watch I just bought while the second is the one of what I retired.