Author Topic: What happened here?  (Read 4543 times)

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
What happened here?
« on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 08:54:07 AM »
This place was like a hole in the ozone a while ago.  I kept getting sent to a search page under the banner of my ISP.  I posted at TME about it, but now we seem to be back.  That was scary.

Other sites worked as expected while this one was unreachable, which is why I'm assuming the problem was OW's, and not only mine.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: What happened here?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »
Hmm, thats odd. I didn't see anything happen on my end.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 09:11:25 AM »
Didn't see it on my end.  Then again, I only check maybe once every other day (and even then there is often no new posts  :().

It sounds like what happens when a DNS name is unable to be resolved.  ISPs these days redirect you to a search page they earn revenue from.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 09:24:20 AM »
Yeah, the deadness of the place is distressing, and makes me worry that it will sort of disappear like that.  I guess that's why I got paranoid.

It was a Yahoo page, I think.  Never use it, and all its scripts are blocked, with Adblock Plus also doing its thing.  So good luck making money out of me on it.  Heh.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 09:49:17 AM »
Yeah, the deadness of the place is distressing, and makes me worry that it will sort of disappear like that.
Well, at least it looks like the domain ownership got transferred away from Antares finally.  That would have eventually been a nail in the coffin for us with Ant dropping off the face of the Earth.  My understanding is that getting the domain renewed each year was a more and more difficult task. I guess the worst case would have been falling back to TME but we might lose a few in the transition.

But yeah, it seems the days are numbered for this community in this format.  Remember how I used to post those graphs about the downward activity trends?  I went through the exercise again last year but it was too depressing to post.  By now it is obvious to everyone anyway.

It just seems like we've all either stopped playing games or we stopped talking about it.  That was what we had in common.  Speaking for myself, it's the former.  In the past two years, I've played maybe two games I had any sort of investment in.  I guess I've been playing Clash of Clans, but there isn't much to talk about there.

I like to talk about controversial or political stuff these days, but most people here seem to stay away from those conversations.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 10:28:55 AM »
I had some problems getting to the site yesterday as well, Cobra. As far as the drop off in posting, some of that is probably due to the fact that several of us are in IRC regularly where we still talk about games and other stuff, so people should come by and chat if it seems dead here.  There will be times during the day when people are at work or busy with stuff in chat and it may seem dead, but later in the day and the evening people start jumping on.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 10:44:10 AM »
Yeah, I never see this place as dead. There's always a post or two, and that's totally fine with me. I don't have time to sit around posting messages on forums all day, which is mainly why I don't post more. I like this because it's not super busy or crazy. As long as I have anything to say about it, the place will be around. But definitely some stuff has moved to the chat. It's pretty busy in there most of the time. That I just leave open all day and periodically scroll through or join a conversation. Bit more convenient time-wise.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 10:47:15 AM »
Hopefully E3 gives us some things to talk about. I'm sure Ill be making a bunch of gaming threads.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 11:04:46 AM »
It's the reality of online forums.  I still post at another larger, more general forum that I thought would stay popular indefinitely.  It still has a healthy user base, but nowhere near what it used to be.

We're a small group here.  People only tend to post when they have something interesting to say.  That's fine with me. 

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 01:25:04 PM »
Most people here don't play that much anymore. Of those that play it's usually not multiplayer, with maybe the exception of the recent interest in the D3 expansion.

As far as getting gaming news, there are now other sites for that, like reddit.com, etc.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 05:52:59 PM »
This place was like a hole in the ozone a while ago.  I kept getting sent to a search page under the banner of my ISP.  I posted at TME about it, but now we seem to be back.  That was scary.

Other sites worked as expected while this one was unreachable, which is why I'm assuming the problem was OW's, and not only mine.

I saw this.  Strangely, forum was accessible through Tapatalk.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
I have better shit to do than talking with you people... like leveling my demonhunter.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, June 03, 2014, 11:14:00 PM »

I saw this.  Strangely, forum was accessible through Tapatalk.

It happened again an hour ago or so.  Weird.  I hope it's not like a drowning man, only coming up for air so many times.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, June 04, 2014, 09:42:36 AM »
It's probably an ongoing DNS update. The site or the server never went down as far as I'm aware.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, June 05, 2014, 06:25:25 PM »
I haven't had reliable internet for an entire year now. My main source is now my phone.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: Thursday, June 05, 2014, 09:37:56 PM »
I can't even imagine that.  I'm so sorry, keebs.  Internet is like a human right now, isn't it?

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #16 on: Friday, June 06, 2014, 11:01:29 AM »
Have you had any more problems accessing the site Cobra?

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: Friday, June 06, 2014, 11:33:48 AM »
No, it's been fine after 2 days or so.  I'm not up to speed on such things as DNS updates.  (I'm sure Scott could fill in such blanks.  I stopped being a software engineer before the internet exploded.)  But if it was just a normal maintenance, or change-of-servers kind of deal, I'm not worried.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #18 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 03:53:57 AM »
It's kinda scary to think about losing touch with everyone if this forum goes down. I know it's probably just a matter of time, but it doesn't make it any less sad. It's not you guys, honestly. I just spend far less time online in general. Having a kid and all that kinda changed everything. And my PC died recently so I'm using my wife's laptop some of the time, and my iPad the rest of the time until I can get it repaired.

Anyway, I was looking through old journals while I'm preparing for a big move, and in there was a note I had made back in 2005/2006 while I was in the height of my asshole phase that some of you remember. I was so sure that I was going to die that I left a note in my notebook to come on here and let you all know. It's pretty much the only 'will' I had at that point in time. Such a weird thing to stumble on all these years later when so much is different.

Crazy.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #19 on: Monday, June 23, 2014, 07:47:03 AM »
I'm not online that much either any longer.  Part of that is losing interest in gaming and part of it is that I work in IT so sometimes the last thing I want to deal with in my free time is technology.

You were sure you were going to die?  In what way?  Like you would just cross the wrong person one day by mere chance or you were involved in some shady business?  Or something else?  That's crazy!  But hey, at least you thought of us.  I have no such "will", so if I die everyone here will just have to wonder if I simply stopped coming or something bad happened.  But I don't think I will die any time soon.

Offline Ace_O_Spades

• Poster Child
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, June 24, 2014, 12:44:18 AM »
You were sure you were going to die?  In what way?  Like you would just cross the wrong person one day by mere chance or you were involved in some shady business?  Or something else?  That's crazy!

Basically I just didn't give a shit at all, was involved with shady people doing shady business. Had some bad experiences where I was almost positive I would end up dead sometime soon. Yes, very crazy indeed, but I came out the other end with a much stronger resolve. I honestly can't fathom what it was like for me back then, my life is completely different.
The CONtrast
...Is the conTRAST
to THE contrast...