Author Topic: Spartans, tonight we dine in Hell!  (Read 13604 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Spartans, tonight we dine in Hell!
« Reply #40 on: Sunday, March 11, 2007, 11:03:39 PM »
That guy is great.  You should go.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #41 on: Monday, March 12, 2007, 12:15:14 AM »
That guy is great.  You should go.

I probably will, whenever Alamo updates their website for the actual date (it may or may not be on Apr 16th) I'll request that day off.  He just did another movie presentation (Torso and Zombie) at the same theater a couple of days ago but tickets sold out super fast because of SXSW starting on the 9th.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 07:25:35 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Anyway, overall I enjoyed it.  I thought the Queen/Leonidas sex scene was a bit much, and I also thought the oracle thing was a bit weird, but I was able to look past that.

Oh, and I actually thought the speed up/slow down effects during the battles were cool.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 07:42:07 AM »
Oracle thing was odd...but damn if I didnt want that as a screensaver....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 02:25:56 PM »
Oh yeah, they had a nice long trailer for Grindhouse before the movie. Gonna be a total guy movie year or something.

Oh, yeah -- I want to see Grindhouse. I seen the trailer for that.

I dunno', but the Rodriguez film looks awesome for Grindhouse.
I'm not so sure what to make of Quentin's new flick in the Grindhouse yet, given the trailer.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday, March 13, 2007, 07:05:00 PM »
The oracle thing was okay.  It was really just a different interpretation of what's in the comic.  I thought it was a bit overkill, but I couldn't really fault it.  Had I done it, it would have been a bit... less.  But if I made the movie, much of it would have been less indulgent on the whole.

Still, I want to watch it again.  Looking forward to getting it on DVD as I'm sure it'll have some cool extras, and I'll be able to focus on the details a bit more since I was a little distracted that night because Julia was feeling so lousy.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #46 on: Saturday, March 17, 2007, 11:13:46 PM »
Overall I enjoyed this movie.  Nothing spectacular, but it was a good movie nonetheless and is definitely worth watching.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #47 on: Sunday, March 18, 2007, 10:32:34 PM »
I saw it today at an IMAX theater and came away really satisfied. I just loved the visuals and style of it, and the choreography was just so brilliantly well done. The gloriousness of the battle scenes just pretty much overwhelmed any bad spots the movie had. I didn't like the political drama there was with Queen and the so called traitor. I just felt it didnt do much and by the time it introduced itself, it just kind of resolved itself in a anti-climatic way. Then there was the deformed spartan which really didnt make much sense to me all together, I thought it was going to go somewhere but it didn't. But like I said, everything else was just so marvelous which made it a very worthy action movie.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 10:02:04 PM »
This movie is getting a lot of bad press, from critics and regular people.  The common thread seems to be style over substance, to an extreme.  I think I'll wait for the video.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Monday, March 19, 2007, 10:16:30 PM »
Ignore the bad press Cobra, the movie is definitely worth seeing in theaters, some of the critics make valid criticisms but for the most part I think it was just too brutal and stylized for some people's likings, I remember Sin City getting somewhat similar reviews and criticisms based on the style and violence(and not having much substance) and that movie was great.

Offline ender

« Reply #50 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 08:45:54 AM »
The problem is that Sin City has much more depth, story and excitement than 300... not to mention lots of great performances. 300 has.... Gerard Butler, who is merely good.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 08:57:15 AM »
All this talk of Sin City makes me want to finally watch it.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:07:35 AM »
Its a comic book on the big screen. Comic books are mainly style over substance.

This is also a different kind of "style over substance". Its hard to point at how or why that is...it just is. Its the "good" kind. A movie like "Ultraviolet" was the bad kind. Just a mishmash of outlandish action and explosives and nothing ever made sense. 300 went along and told its story and every single shot is suitable for framing. I think thats where people are confused by it. How many other films can you take an arbitrary freeze frame of and have it look so amazing?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:51:47 AM »
Comic books are mainly style over substance.

May have been true in the past, but I have found modern day comic books to have a lot more substance than most movies of the past two years. It has a lot to do with the fact that movies have sucked recently I think.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 12:17:21 PM by Pugnate »

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #54 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 05:29:17 PM »
May have been true in the past, but I have found modern day comic books to have a lot more substance than most movies of the past two years. It has a lot to do with the fact that movies have sucked recently I think.

I don't disagree that movies have pretty much sucked lately, with a few gems here and there.  But the medium is totally different.  Comic books have entire runs to further a story allowing for lots of leeway, but a movie has to wrap up the story or at least have some kind of resolution in two hours.  So, it's kinda hard to make the comparisons between comics and movies, apart from the styles onscreen.

I don't think I know what I'm saying.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 05:47:01 PM »
I think good points have been made.  I agree that comics these days have quite a lot of substance if you're looking in the right places.  Again, if you compare the 300 comic to the 300 movie, you'll find that while the movie attempts to have more going on, there's a lot more substance in the comic.  I think it was just a little bit of the director trying to go too much into a Sin City route than the comic truly called for.  It doesn't feel like Sin City, but it feels like it's trying to go more over the top than the comic would warrant in some cases.  That doesn't mean I didn't like it, because I did (and if you're going to see a crazy special effects movie in a theater, this is the one), I just wouldn't have done it the same way had I been making it.  It goes right back to my liking of The Illusionist more than The Prestige that we talked about in the associated threads.  This 300 was Prestige.  Mine would have been Illusionist.  I'd prefer a little more simplicity, a little less flash and a little more of a painterly quality.  This director was trying to make a huge movie, and one to match Sin City, which was incredibly huge in its own way.  That was a lot to live up to, and I think that's what knocked it down from what it could have been.

But again, it was worth seeing.  It wasn't high art, but it was damn good fun.

And I disagree entirely about Butler, ender.  He was fucking perfect in that movie.  And actually, I guess I don't just mean in the movie, I mean in the role.  He was Leonidas, or at least about as close as you could hope for.  I thought he did an amazing job on all fronts.

EDIT - Added a little bit to my explanations.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday, March 20, 2007, 11:37:58 PM »
I agree Hoob they are different mediums entirely. I was just defending comic books I guess. :P You are right it is an unfair comparison, they are totally different mediums. I guess I just wanted to vent a little about the fact that the movie industry has been really going downhill for me.

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #57 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 11:13:01 AM »
http://www.chrisgrapes.co.uk/300.html

I know the guy who created this abomination, and even he doesn't know why he did it.
|

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #58 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 01:33:08 PM »

I know the guy who created this abomination, and even he doesn't know why he did it.

What would compel someone to do that? It's just so....stupid. I loved it

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #59 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 05:00:22 PM »

ahahahahahha.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #60 on: Monday, April 09, 2007, 07:45:34 PM »
That is the weirdest thing I have seen on the internet since yesterday.  But seriously, what the fuck?  It's awesome in its pointlessness.  Kudos to your friend!

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 02:43:17 PM »

Hahaha that was great, what song was that anyways?

Offline NatchDan

• I object.
    • NatchDan Music
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday, April 10, 2007, 03:06:14 PM »
Crash Test Dummies - Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm.

He named the animation "Spartannnn Nnnn Nnnn Nnnn".
|

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:01:29 AM »
After nearly a year of anticipating this movie, I finally got to see it last night.

I went back tonight.  I've never seen a movie more than once in the theater.  If you take it for what it is, a 2 hour ballet of bloodletting and testosterone, then you'll be pleased.  I didn't expect a fleshed out plot or character development, I expected 2 hours of straight up asskicking.  And that's exactly what I got. 

If the military were to set up recruitment stations outside of the screening area they'd have met their quota for the year in a week's time.  As I left the only thing I wanted to do is kick the shit out of something.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #64 on: Wednesday, April 11, 2007, 01:28:41 AM »
If the military were to set up recruitment stations outside of the screening area they'd have met their quota for the year in a week's time.  As I left the only thing I wanted to do is kick the shit out of something.

Haha that's so true me.