Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Wall-E
« on: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:04:34 PM »
I can state that this is unequivocally my favorite Pixar movie, and will easily rank as one of my favorite movies ever.  It's certainly not the best I've seen, nor the best in any particular category even (unless you count best 3D animation), but it's a really great combination of things that added up to a spectacular movie that was hilarious, inoffensive, artistically rich, had brilliant music and sound design, and even managed to pull off some social commentary and a serious message.  A unique piece of film, well worth the time for pretty much anyone, and absolutely something as appealing to an adult as to a kid.  If I ever wore a hat, it'd go off to Pixar.  That was one worth going to the theater for, which I don't say often, and one I'll be first in line to buy on Blue-ray.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Wall-E
« Reply #1 on: Friday, June 27, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
Damn you.  I really want to see this.  Now you've gone and beat me to it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 12:21:51 AM »
It isn't often I get to the theater, and even less often I see something opening night.  I was looking forward to this one, certainly more than any past Pixar film, but I'd never have gone opening night if our friends hadn't dragged us.  Theater was crowded, long line to get in, but it wasn't too bad.  I'm really happy we went.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, June 28, 2008, 02:32:52 PM »
Aimee and I got back a little bit ago from the movie.

It was one of those things that was so good that I don't even want to say much about it. Just go see it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Monday, June 30, 2008, 08:13:31 PM »
That was really good. I loved every bit of that movie.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, July 01, 2008, 05:19:33 PM »
Yeah I saw this on Saturday and was really blown away, especially by how emotional it was.  It also had a bit of social commentary thrown in there for good measure.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, July 03, 2008, 01:05:35 AM »
I saw this yesterday and was surprised by how much I liked it.  This is easily my favorite Pixar film.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, July 03, 2008, 07:27:54 PM »
Wall-E managed to surpass The Incredibles as my favourite Pixar movie. I wasn't too big of a fan of the ending but everything other than that was fantastic. and the ending wasn't bad either, I just had the story going in a different direction in my head.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #8 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 10:46:49 AM »
I still like The Incredibles more, but Wall-E is another Pixar hit.  I think the only one I didn't like was Madagascar.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 11:35:36 AM »
That wasn't Pixar.  And from the looks of it, it was a monstrosity.  The trailers for the sequel I saw during Wall-E were beyond abysmal.  As bad as that motherfucking chihuahua movie.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 12:20:25 PM »
Oh.  That's right that was Dreamworks.  Disney/Pixar's version was The Wild.  I never saw that.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #11 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 01:09:37 PM »
Pixar had nothing to do with The Wild either.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 01:34:54 PM »
What?  I thought all Disney's CGI stuff was Pixar.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 02:09:41 PM »
Nope.  There's another new Disney CG thing coming soon that isn't Pixar either.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 02:24:23 PM »
Nope.  There's another new Disney CG thing coming soon that isn't Pixar either.
I believe that one is Bolt.

I just watched Wall-E and I loved it! It was truly amazing.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 04, 2008, 07:08:50 PM »
For your reference,

Pixar movies:

Toy Story
A Bug's Life
Toy Story 2
Monsters Inc.
Finding Nemo
The Incredibles
Cars
Ratatouille
Wall-E

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 06:29:51 PM »
Yay!  Finally saw this.  Went with my 2 girls and my brother.  The magician short before the movie was gut-busting hilarity.  I liked the movie mostly for the imagination and the excellence with which it was realized.  Their rendering technology and expertise using it keep marching forward.  The story itself was very simple, and while the 2 robots falling in love had their moments, the premise did not move me as much as it seems to be affecting others.  I was shocked and disappointed that live actors had any part at all in the movie.  Pixar have until now been complete purists.

We watched a digital showing, which for this movie means no film was used at all, anywhere in the process.  I'm not sure how much difference it made.  I'd have to see a good film print to compare.  All I can say is that it looked way crisp and moved very smoothly.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 06:41:19 PM »
I saw it too and loved it. Probably my favorite pixar movie by far. Megan and I got teary eyed at some parts.

I also agree with you Cobra about those live acting spots, I felt they were out of place and stuck out too much, probably the only thing I didnt like about it. Everything else though was nothing short of amazing.

I found out that Wall-E was directed by the same guy that did Finding Nemo, my favorite Pixar movie up until this one.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 07:06:03 PM »
But it's Fred Willard*, how could you not love Fred Willard? I kinda liked the inclusion. It reminded me how live action movies use cartoon bits to show some absurdity. In the CG world, live action serves the same purpose.

*Thanks Julia for reminding me what his name was.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 07:14:19 PM »
I'd second what Sy said.  That's exactly how I felt.  And the whole thing with the little timeline of ship captains starting with a picture of a real person and gradually becoming the fat, CG caricature of the current one was brilliant.  And yeah, the inclusion of Willard was amusing, and he was well casted for that I thought.  He's great.  Including real people was an artistic decision and a little different than usual to be sure, but it wasn't pointless.  It was part of the message, and an important one.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #20 on: Sunday, July 06, 2008, 08:20:52 PM »
Ah, that totally went over my head then, cause Im not very familiar with Fred Willard, Ive seen him in some other stuff, but I never took special note of him.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, July 16, 2008, 08:17:21 AM »
Saw. Loved.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, November 04, 2008, 02:55:48 PM »
Finally got a chance to see this.  I really liked it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #23 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 04:22:25 PM »
I just saw it. It was very emotional and awesome and oh so awesome. I loved it.

I can't believe how touching it was. While the story did lack any complexity, to me it didn't matter. I found it to be better at showing two characters in love than most movies featuring live action characters. I guess that partially has to do with the disarming nature of the animation medium. I always feel some level of cynicism (even minute), when I watch actors pretend to fall in love on the big screen; I never felt that with Wall-E and EVE, and was totally sold on their affection for each other.

So I think after Beauty and the Beast, this was my favorite animation.

And aside from Cars and Finding Nemo, I love Pixar's work.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Saturday, January 03, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
I wonder if all the idiots that buy this from Wal-Mart even understand what they're seeing when BUY N' LARGE comes onto the screen.