Author Topic: Dragon Age: Origins -> Update: DAO Ultimate joins GOG  (Read 149720 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #200 on: Saturday, November 07, 2009, 11:40:36 PM »
Makes sense.  The game definitely doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look particularly good, either.  But still, there are some nice vistas to look at and stuff, and the animation is solid.  And it's definitely a better game than Mass Effect was.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Dragon Age: Origins - Update: System requirements lowered for CPU (Reply 147)
« Reply #201 on: Sunday, November 08, 2009, 07:37:30 AM »
Makes sense.  The game definitely doesn't look bad, it just doesn't look particularly good, either.  But still, there are some nice vistas to look at and stuff, and the animation is solid.  And it's definitely a better game than Mass Effect was.

So, how is the in-game performance on your PC? If it doesn't look that great technically, this game better run flawlessly (30 frames per sec or above at all times; 50-60 frames is preferred, though) for those exceed the requirements by a mile - especially on the recommended specs.

I can forgive not-so-great looking graphics, if the performance is rock-solid for PC's exceeding the system requirements.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #202 on: Sunday, November 08, 2009, 08:12:34 AM »
The performance has been quite good for me at 1920x1080.  I don't know the actual numbers because unless something is running pretty poorly I don't bother benchmarking.  It definitely isn't running at 60, but it seems to be running over 30 basically always.  Large groups of badguys and spell effects haven't seemed to bog things down at all, and the in-game cutscenes featuring huge numbers of dudes fighting haven't slowed down at all.

The only caveat to this is that I get a fair bit of screen tearing when swinging the camera around because I can't enable vsync.  I mean, I can, but in this game that seems to cut my framerate in half.  So that's a bit of a niggle.  Still, it hasn't impacted anything drastically.  The other downside is textures on the world noticeably repeat at times, like on hillsides and such.  The engine is definitely starting to show its age.

All in all, I'd equate it to something like GTAIV.  You wouldn't say it looks bad, and at times it can even be remarkable by virtue of the art that's gone into it, but it's noticeably behind many other current games in some of the details.  Yet the game is plenty good enough to get by without anyone bitching much.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #203 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 12:01:15 AM »
So my Dragon Age CE came in a week ago, in a nice wooden box, and I thought I'd share some pics. If any of you have bought the game, you can add me to your friends list on that weird Dragon Age social site thing. Unfortunately, the only OW person I found over there hasn't added me yet. Thanks Que.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #204 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 01:10:19 AM »
The game is quite tremendous. If you haven't bought it yet, you should. It has very quickly become one of my favorite games of all time -- which isn't surprising, considering how much I loved Baldur's Gate II. But don’t get me wrong, even if you couldn’t get into that particular game, you should find plenty to love about Dragon Age.

Because this game was ready a year and a half ago, you will notice the graphics look quite blocky, at least during the initial stages. That is also probably because those initial stages were probably developed three years ago, and as the game progresses, it improves noticably. And while the game can be uneven technically, artistically it is quite good throughout, as Que mentioned above.

What I immediately noticed about the game was the scope and depth of its visuals. In what is unusual for a Bioware game, you can see far off into the horizon, with large structures like hills, castles, and mountains in the horizon that are actual places to explore, and not just parts of the background. In terms of combat, this adds much tactically, but in terms of visual impressions, it can be quite amazing.

Another thing you will notice is the over the top gore, which is only a few steps below Gears of War in terms of intensity. You can turn it off of course, but it does add a bit of a slightly comical flavor to an otherwise serious game. The death animations that accompany the gore are also quite fantastic, and after most battles you come off looking like you were put in a giant sized blender with 10 other people.
What Bioware have managed to do is polish the hell out of this game, almost to the point where it feels like a Blizzard product. The game runs extremely well, even on my three year old 8800GTX powered system. With my resolution set at 1900 by something, I am getting very smooth frame rates.

But that’s not where its similarities to a Blizzard product end. The game is… very accessible.

That’s why I think all of you will love this game. It is almost like a cross between Diablo, KOTOR, and Baldur’s Gate II. It is hardcore, yes, but only so much as to appeal to the fans of old, yet streamlined to a level where it is extremely easy to get into. It is like they took the complexities of the D&D ruleset, and molded into a form that appeals to everyone.

Take inventory management for example. In the past it was all about worrying about the amount of weight you were carrying, and balancing it all out amongst party members etc. With Dragon Age, you are just limited in terms of the number of items you carry, and the entire party has a shared inventory.

In the Bioware CRPGS of the past, during battle, you would be constantly pausing, and passing health potions to potionless party members. With Dragon Age, a shared inventory just allows all party members to have constant access. This, coupled with the fact that you don’t have to stress over the weight management, allows you to concentrate on the parts of the game that are fun.

Using magic has also been made very easy. No longer do you have to prepare spells overnight, and aren’t limited to casting two or three memorized spells a day. Now, the limit of the spells you cast is only limited to your mana… simple. Plus, whenever you level up as a mage, new spells are automatically added to your shortcut bar, again simple.

Aside from spells, other skills that pertain to warriors or rogues are also similarly integrated into the interface to feel simple to use, yet not to a level where they feel overly automated.

The AI is quite fantastic as well, and a tremendous improvement over games like Neverwinter Nights – where the AI was so poor, that you simply had to employ full control over your party. The best part about the AI in Dragon Age is that it can be modified to suit anyone’s style of play, which I guess is the strength of Dragon Age overall.

The biggest strength of the game is the fantastically detailed world that has been constructed. It is so detailed and rich, that you almost don’t feel like leaving, and often do feel like you are in a book brought to life. The lore of the game is extremely rich, and while it can be ignored, it is easily related through the interface. The game’s characters are also brilliantly done, and are certainly better than anything seen in Mass Effect or KOTOR. The voice acting in particular is top notch, and it certainly makes the NPCs feel extremely realistic.

Something unique is that before you start the main storyline, you will play through a few hours of your origin story, of which the game has several, depending upon your race. From what I understand, a few of these origin stories are very impressive, and my own was quite good. The game deals with plenty of adult themes, including second class citizens, slavery, and the horrors it leads to like starvation, rape etc.

Anyway, go get this game… now. I command it.
« Last Edit: Friday, November 13, 2009, 03:44:52 AM by Pugnate »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #205 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 01:58:24 AM »
Damn it, Pug. Now I need this.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #206 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 04:32:03 AM »
I played a few more hours, and I just want to again stress on how deep the game's world is. I had been following Dragon Age since it was initially started as Baldur's Gate III, and remember reading about how Bioware had hired PhD Linguistic majors to write the game's various languages, and professional fantasy writers to put together the game's lore, and it really shows.

But really, there have been lots of great games with some fantastic lore. Games like Oblivion for example. But the difference between the way Oblivion's lore is presented and the way it is presented in Dragon Age, is quite vast. In Oblivion, you could simply choose to ignore all the books and tomes you come across, and while you can still do that in Dragon Age, the lore in this game is presented and weaved through in so many more ways than the books and parchments you come across.

That sort of thing could easily be boring, but just the way it is told, with the fantastic voice acting etc., is what makes it interesting. Early on, you hear about this ancient witch whose beauty and dark magic became the stuff of legend. When you hear the legend from the land’s inhabitants and the bards, you get a fantastic tale of romance, demonic evil, and lust... but then when you come across the witch's own offspring, you hear a different more subdued and grounded tale, of what actually happened. Even then, the witch's own offspring asks you to take the more "realistic" version with a grain of salt, saying that she can't completely trust her mother's version, even though it is more likely to be the truth.

Again, you can go through the whole game and ignore much of the world, and still get a fantastic experience out of it.

The story so far is somewhat of a cliche, but still quite engrossing, and very moving. Like the RR Martin books, main characters will die left and right, and unexpectedly.

Just to give you an idea on the adult themes the game deals with, I just want to mention what happened during my origin story. Like I said, there are six origin stories to play through, and apparently some are extremely moving. From what I understand, the dwarf noble has the best origin story.

I chose to play as a city elf. Now the elves in this game had been enslaved by mankind for nearly a century, and while are now free citizens, they are still pretty much forced by economic circumstances to live in "alienages". These alienages are ghettos that are only a few steps better than concentration camps. The elves have the worst jobs in society, and are often abused and what not. Since they have little freedom in society, they end up having arranged marriages.

During my story, I was set to have an arranged marriage. On the morning of my arranged marriage, my elven character's uncle, his wife, and his pretty elven daughter were set to leave the camp to seek a better life along the border towns or something. I had a conversation with my uncle, and basically convinced him to let his daughter stay behind with my father, as the bordertowns were dangerous with young elven women disappearing etc.

Anyway, during my marriage ceremony the local human lord's son showed up (with whom I had had an altercation with), and invoked some human custom where he would have "first rights" with my elven character's bride. My character obviously got upset but was knocked out by the lord’s goons. When my character came to, his bride was gone, as were some other elven girls -- including the cousin he had convinced to stay.

BTW the details I mentioned above are all part of the origin tales description, which is why I didn't include a spoiler warning.

SPOILER

Anyway, this leads to a revolt etc., and by the time my character finished the rescue mission, a lot of the elven girls had been raped and killed. The cousin he had convinced to stay behind, managed to survive, but apparently had gotten the worst of it and had been raped repeatedly, and was left severely traumatized.

END SPOILER

There are tons of crucial points in the game like where you must face the consequences of your actions. What I like is how realistically these consequences are executed.

Basically, a lot of these moments follow the “Shit happens” philosophy. Sometimes, bad things will happen, even if your actions had been carried out with the best of intentions.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #207 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 04:56:21 AM »
Wow, that is not something I would expect from a video game (speaking of the origin story you just talked about). Usually things are a lot more cut and dry with just "some people died".

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #208 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 06:32:00 AM »
Wow, that's a beautiful CE!

The game is still not in the UAE. I have half a mind to just buy online, but I can't.. must.. have.. retail box.. physical disc.. argh.. must resist all temptation to play NOW.. Damn it, Pug!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #209 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 07:06:05 AM »
That's a nice CE indeed.  Where'd you find the wooden one?  I got a CE, but it was tin.

The game heavily reminds me of The Witcher in terms of much of what it tries to do.  Some circumstances are similar (second-class citizen Elves forced to live in ghettos, for instance) and in the whole idea that you sometimes just have to choose the lesser of two evils, or things don't work out as you intend.  That makes it a lot more compelling, though I think The Witcher was a little more consistent with some of that stuff.  But I haven't played too far into DA yet as I haven't had any spare time for gaming lately that hasn't been given over to Borderlands.

Definitely looking forward to digging into it some more, though, and glad you're liking it, Pug.

EDIT - You romanced Morrigan already?  Damn, that was fast.  You dog!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #210 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 08:38:22 AM »
haha and let me tell you that the sex scene was as awkward, uncomfortable, and laughable as it was in the trailer.

USA, Canada and Europe get the tin. Asia gets the wood.

Xessive, I am pretty sure you will enjoy this. The game can be be played either like NWN, NWN2, or BG2.

One other thing, is that I know you like to go solo, but the party AI is good enough for you to use a full party without getting frustrated. So far no party member of mine has gotten stuck behind a tree, or drank all the health potions like an addict etc. Plus, they use their skills and spells very sensibly and appropriately.

Part of the change is that since they aren't using D&D, you aren't restricted to a certain number of spells a day -- as I mentioned earlier. How that helps the AI is that in NWN, when left to their own devices, your mages would waste high level spells on Goblins that could be pushed to death, only to have nothing ready against the tougher enemies that followed almost immediately. In Dragon Age, mages are just limited by their mana, and that can be restored easily during battle.

Oh and if you ever think you have too much blood and guts on your armor and whatnot, you can always tell your dog to clean you up.

Yea, I found that a bit weird. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #211 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 03:18:57 PM »
Asia's got wood :P Haha

Sweet! Bioware must have worked especially hard on making a decent AI and a game mechanic that works well with it.

I've been anticipating Bioware's non-D&D approach. It gives them a lot of liberty to make things as they see fit without worrying about how true it is to the source convention.

Man, you got me all riled up for this game now. Seeing the trailers and reviews was enticing enough, bu reading your experience with it has me full-on excited! ;D Almost like looking forward to a hot date!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #212 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 09:06:17 PM »
It's nice that they give you some FFXII-like options for setting up the AI, too.  First thing I did was give everybody a command to pop a pot at under 25% health.  Very handy.

It's definitely nice to see them get away from the D&D stuff.  Much as I loved the old games, that crap really just dragged everything down.  The games were still great, but despite all that stuff, not because of it.  This is definitely a change for the better.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #213 on: Friday, November 13, 2009, 11:10:08 PM »
Well, D&D brought with it depth and complexity in mechanics that is pretty tough to replicate. It was something I really enjoyed about Baldur's Gate II, and to some extent, the higher levels in NWN2 etc.

That was the advantage of using that ruleset. The disadvantage was of course that it was really designed for paper, and on screen it felt really odd, especially in NWN. At least the PS:T and Baldur's Gate games embraced D&D to a point where it was obvious that everything was being calculated and represented on console.

In KOTOR and to some extent in NWN, it was as if they were trying to hide the fact. I still loved those games, but that was something I felt was an issue.

Also, it was difficult to explain to newcomers why certain things would absolutely defy logical explanation.

I think this was the first year I had met Xessive, and he was really more about Japanese RPGs and first person shooters. I had been trying to get him into games like NWN and I think he had tried BG2 and NWN for a while, but the logic circuits in his brain just could not accept some of the D&D stuff.

I think he was watching me play NWN and at that point he had not realized the game's mechanics were based on dice rolls. I tried to bash a lock or something, and I missed... he got really annoyed in typical Xessive style hehe, and said something along the lines of, "OK, WHAT THE FUCK? I can understand you lacking the strength to bash it open, but how can you MISS? Last night, I was playing as a thief and went in the shadows and snuck behind this guard and tried to backstab him, and he didn't know I was there, and I MISSED! How can I MISS?!!! "

Of course later he really got into the whole thing, when we downloaded and played through a few modules.

Anyway, so I agree that doing their own thing allows Bioware the freedom to add some more logic to the whole thing.

To me Dragon Age is more like Baldur's Gate I than Baldur's Gate II. The reason is that BG1 was quite a bit simpler in just about every way. It only had 8 classes and skills and spells were quite limited, which was understandable because the game capped at level 9. Because so many people enjoyed BG1, they went on to really enjoy the complexities that came with using level 20 characters in BG2. To date, BG2 has managed to sell over 2 million units, which is a great feat for a hardcore CRPG...

Sex and violence sell, and that is probably why Dragon Age is doing so well, so far. On steam it is still in the top 5 (twice with the deluxe ed. leading the regular), while on Amazon it is still no.1, and still easily outselling all the Sims games. I think the lack of DRM is also another factor.

But as good as Dragon Age is, I have a feeling that Dragon Age 2 will be where Bioware really show us what they can do, at least in terms of developing their proprietary RPG mechanics and whatnot. They will certainly have a very large player base to market to.

On Amazon, Dragon Age currently has a 4.5 star player rating, which is quite impressive.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #214 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 03:16:33 AM »
Not only do you have to pay $7 for an hour of gameplay, it's also broken! YAY!

And if that wasn't broken enough for you, here's some more!  It's like paying money to have someone punch you in the balls.

Way to go, EA and Bioware!  It's totally cool that you haven't acknowledged the problem at all and stuff.  That makes you cold and hard, like gangsters.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #215 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 05:25:48 AM »
It seems like everybody that has done DLC-to-download-and-buy has had problems - Fallout 3 had it w/ all their DLC at first (every single freakin' one of the 5 DLC) and Bioware now has it w/ their DLC?!?! WTH is going on?

DLC is a good idea - you know, when it's actually done right - i.e. not broken. Of course, also important - when DLC gives you fair amount of content for money for the pricetag - i.e. see Fallout 3 DLC and the upcoming Borderlands: Zombie Island DLC.

I don't know - what is the deal w/ these big-time designers messing up file integrity and data corruption here. Why is this happening? Is it b/c they working on DLC in an earlier 0.xx Beta version before they press Version 1.0 to disc? I just don't get this shit.

I really hope when Borderlands' Zombie Island DLC comes to the PC, they don't have the launch problems DAO and FO3 had w/ their DLC - i.e. the DLC is broken. Gives me MORE reason to just wait for the DLC to be fixed in a patch and/or wait to they compile a bunch of them together on disc at a later said date to sell at expansion pack pricing.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #216 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 05:59:57 AM »
I think this was the first year I had met Xessive, and he was really more about Japanese RPGs and first person shooters. I had been trying to get him into games like NWN and I think he had tried BG2 and NWN for a while, but the logic circuits in his brain just could not accept some of the D&D stuff.

I think he was watching me play NWN and at that point he had not realized the game's mechanics were based on dice rolls. I tried to bash a lock or something, and I missed... he got really annoyed in typical Xessive style hehe, and said something along the lines of, "OK, WHAT THE FUCK? I can understand you lacking the strength to bash it open, but how can you MISS? Last night, I was playing as a thief and went in the shadows and snuck behind this guard and tried to backstab him, and he didn't know I was there, and I MISSED! How can I MISS?!!! "

Of course later he really got into the whole thing, when we downloaded and played through a few modules.

Haha good times man! I remember thinking "WTF?! MISS?! F-U!!! hahaha It took me a while to wrap my head around dice rolls and stuff :P

Honestly, if you hadn't urged me to persist with NWN I never would have given it a second chance and gotten so immersed in it! So Bioware and myself owe you a big thanks! hehe :D

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #217 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 10:31:29 AM »
Haha good times man! I remember thinking "WTF?! MISS?! F-U!!! hahaha It took me a while to wrap my head around dice rolls and stuff :P

Honestly, if you hadn't urged me to persist with NWN I never would have given it a second chance and gotten so immersed in it! So Bioware and myself owe you a big thanks! hehe :D

I think what did it was that monk module. You chose some cool looking insanely strong human to be your kung fu character... I on the other hand chose a dainty half-orc with high dexterity points. The laugh I chose for him was weird and maniacal.

I remember some random dude joined us and all three of us were fighting when I suddenly delivered a critical and went, "MUHAHAHAHAHAHA!"

It was nothing new for either of us and both of us ran further ahead while the random guy who had joined online just stood there... I bet he was thinking wtf.

Not only do you have to pay $7 for an hour of gameplay, it's also broken! YAY!

And if that wasn't broken enough for you, here's some more!  It's like paying money to have someone punch you in the balls.

Way to go, EA and Bioware!  It's totally cool that you haven't acknowledged the problem at all and stuff.  That makes you cold and hard, like gangsters.

While I got all my DLC incl. that Warden's Peak thing with the CE, I have experimented and it is easy to install that DLC through an offline installer in the system folder.

But yes, I have no doubt that the DLC wasn't as thoroughly Q&A'ed as it should have been.

Anyway D is right, DLC is just creating far too many issues in most games.

I just like Dragon Age so much, and it is a pity Bioware did the DLC so xessively... err... excessively.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #218 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:37:27 PM »
I have the DLC and it doesn't even work.  When I accept the quest, the guy animates as though he is leaving, and yet is still there, and the place where I'm supposed to go meet him doesn't show up on the map.  Pretty awesome.  At this point I wouldn't trust the shit to begin with, as apparently it can just stop working and all your items disappear.  Which is pretty fucking stupid considering the major selling point of the bullshit is the storage space to begin with.  And they can't even get that right?  Fuck that.  As cool as this game is, that shit just doesn't fly with me.  I'm putting this down until they fix it.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #219 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 12:38:44 PM »
Bleh. That's really crappy, Que. :( Good way to treat your customers, EA and Bioware...

Okay, I'm back to GameRanger to play Borderlands...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #220 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 02:31:39 PM »
Apparently there is a fix for the disappearing items. You have to uncheck and then recheck the DLC items in the DLC menu.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #221 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 02:41:25 PM »
Apparently there is a fix for the disappearing items. You have to uncheck and then recheck the DLC items in the DLC menu.

Well, that's goofy...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #222 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 03:55:39 PM »
That doesn't fix items disappearing from the Warden's Keep storage.  That problem appears unresolvable.  If the DLC just happens to stop working, people can't seem to get it to come back.  Even if they load old saves, they can't get there anymore.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #223 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
*shakes my head at all these epic DLC failures*

This really if ridiculous - especially to be paying money and get boned like that...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #224 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:30:42 PM »
Seriously.  $7 for a piece of tiny software that's nowhere near worth the asking price to begin with, and then on top of the fact that it doesn't work, it actually fucks you.  I really was expecting very little from this DLC after the absolutely colossal failure of Mass Effect's DLC, which was more or less worthless and was delivered so far past the point where anyone actually cared I don't see why they even bothered, but this is just too much.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #225 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 06:42:09 PM »
You may welcome me among your ranks now! I finally got my hands on it! Unfortunately there are no CE's available in this country at all and Amazon doesn't ship here. In fact most online services don't ship here. My cousin suggested I use a forwarded mailbox from Europe. Good idea for the future.

My copy came with The Stone Prisoner and Blood Dragon armor. There was also a Lucky Stone ring when i started the game. It was easy enough accessing the content, I just had to register it online and then the game automatically downloaded it at the main menu. It does also display The Warden's Keep in the "available" DLC list but whatever. I'm not gonna bother with any time soon, at least not until I'm certain they've fixed it anyway. That shit with the DLC is farked.

Anyway, I am loving it. I just finished the origin story as a human noble. I am really enjoying it so far. I love my dog. I wish I could customize him but it's no biggie.

I am also very impressed with the game's performance! I'm playing it at 720p on my 32" LCD TV (which would contribute to the great framerate since it's a relatively low resolution). It looks great, though some flaws do show up here and there they're easy to dismiss.

Awesomeness.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #226 on: Saturday, November 14, 2009, 10:11:55 PM »
You can kinda' customize the dog.  I mean, not a lot, but you can name him and give him different warpaint.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #227 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
Xessive! Awesome, glad you joined! Add me!

That dog is amazing... watch his cut scenes when you get to the party camp. Anyway, watch this trailer:

I haven't heard that song before, but the song choice is better than Manson. What I don't get is how it can entirely be an FMV.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #228 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 05:53:57 AM »
Whoever did that ad did a way better job than whoever was responsible for the actual ad campaign.

Just confirmed and added people on the Bioware Social network.

I haven't reached the point where I can warpaint my dog yet! Awesome, it's better than nothing :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #229 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 06:37:10 AM »
I think it is just an item you can find...

So you get a wardog as a human noble immediately? I didn't get one as a city elf till much later.

Anyway, it is a shame the game has DLC issues, because it is awesome otherwise. I was in an elven forest and a lot of situations reminded me of Baldur's Gate II. While the game is fairly easy overall (with patch 1.1), you come across three or four situations where a battle will only begin if you instigate, and these battles are effin' HARD... just like BG2.

I managed to defeat some hermit who turned out to be some crazy powerful senile sorcerer etc. It took me a few retries, and the only way I did win in the end was to provoke him, and then RUN LIKE CRAZY!

Then I took out his summoned demons one by one.

I felt kinda bad killing him, because he was likable. :P

There are a couple of graves, that are warded, and if disturbed will unleash some *very* might foes. Of course there is plenty of mage treasure to be had, but I am going to come back to them when I am at a higher level.

Overall, the battles I have found fun, and good enough to manage. I always send me two warriors forward, and make sure I am in full control of my mage. As soon as I had gotten the opportunity, I made sure my mage learned a healing spell. And that's why I do, fire away spells and heal those who need it. My own character is an archer.

The key is to concentrate fire on one enemy at a time. The other thing to remember against stronger adversaries is that you can always run and take them out rambo style.

Gosh I love this game.

http://www.overwritten.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=76657;topic=690.200;num_replies=229;sesc=00d0cf6b85a596f7bc5ba194199cf3db

Whoever did that ad did a way better job than whoever was responsible for the actual ad campaign.

Just confirmed and added people on the Bioware Social network.

I haven't reached the point where I can warpaint my dog yet! Awesome, it's better than nothing :)

What I liked most about that ad is that it paid dues to Baldur's Gate II before Mass Effect. :)

Respect +1

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #230 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 07:40:45 AM »
Yes, as a human noble you start out with the dog, he's sorta part of the origin story.

I'm really anxious about going through the game then doing it again with a different character later!

So far the fights have been alright, I haven't come across any major battles though. I've just gone into the woods. Btw, I'm really taking my time with it to absorb the atmosphere of the game world.

I never played Baldur's Gate II (I just watched) but I do appreciate that it's one of the most influential games in the RPG scene, and credit should not be ignored!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #231 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 08:11:42 AM »
I never played Baldur's Gate II (I just watched) but I do appreciate that it's one of the most influential games in the RPG scene, and credit should not be ignored!
BG2 is freakin' epic in every regard - strategy-RPG at its 2D-best (with 3D character models and effects). If you can find The Entire BG Collection on disc for like $20 or less, just get it. BG2 is amazing. :) And BG2: Throne of Bhaal Expansion is probably my favorite expansion pack of all time. That expansion is so good and long (over 40 hours!), it could've been a stand-alone product and called BG3. BG2: Throne has one of the best and most epic conclusions to a game I've ever seen.

Make sure if you do play any Infinity Engine games on Win XP or newer (BG series, Planescape, Icewind Dale series) turn off Hardware acceleration on your video card. These games are NOT meant for modern vid cards at all - you'll get nasty freezes, glitches, slowdowns, and other weirdness, if you don't.

BG2 is in My List Of "Top 10 Games Of All Time."

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #232 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 08:50:21 AM »
Oh my god! This game is awesome. I've been exploring the elven forests for the past four hours and just hit some ruins.

The ruins part is like you are playing Diablo III. It is quite incredible. I had a fantastic battle with a little dragon.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Dragon Age screenshots thread of madness. (IDOLMINDS WARNING)
« Reply #233 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 11:37:26 AM »
I think the gore is definitely overdone.  Not so much during combat, but that stupid blood-splatter effect is just fucking ridiculous.  It could have been fine if done right, but it totally wasn't.  I've heard you can turn it off... I'll do that when I pick this up again.  It's just ridiculous to be walking through town looking like you just walked through a blood fountain, then having these perfectly normal conversations when it looks like you just stuck a baby in a blender with the top off.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #234 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 12:03:37 PM »
Haha some of the violence effects are over-the-top :P

The first quest as a human noble involves killing rats (tribute to all RPGs?), and while they're not especially monstrous rats my character looked like he had spent a day stuffing rats with explosives and showering in the rain of their spattered remains! hehe

It would have made more sense if these bloodied effects only appeared after a violent fatality (y'know when you decapitate or dismember enemies).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #235 on: Sunday, November 15, 2009, 12:06:43 PM »
haha yea it was really odd at first... but then I just got used to it I guess.

edit:

Yup, if you turn it off, it is pretty normal. But I decided to turn it back on. :P

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #236 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 07:59:49 PM »
Well Ive picked this up today, finally. I dont know why, but I just got really excited for this one all of a sudden and I didn't think I'd care in the least for it. Fantasy RPGs dont usually interest me, but after watching the giantbomb review and everybody gushing about it in podcasts, I couldnt help but want it. And after playing a few hours I'm loving it, my expectations for it have already been met, I'm already fully engaged in its story and Im pretty happy with the character Ive made. I pretty much modeled him after my WoW character Olathin, a dwarf warrior. I'm gonna make him a badass tank. I think the story, much like in Mass Effect, is as straightforward and cut and paste as fantasy stories go, but its presentation is just so well done, it delivers itself as this epic opera and pulls it off nicely. I can't wait until I get into the real meat of combat which is where its all at.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #237 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 08:51:44 PM »
Hey Pyro, did you choose the Dwarf noble story? Apparently that's the best one.

I am really glad you picked it up! What platform?

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #238 on: Tuesday, November 17, 2009, 09:04:02 PM »
Nah, I chose the Dwarf casteless story, I wanted to play as an underdog. I finished that whole part which I thought was really cool, but now you've made me curious about the noble one. I'll probably make a new Dwarf and just play through the beginning to check it out.

Definitely went for PC, I even added you on the Bioware social network.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #239 on: Wednesday, November 18, 2009, 01:58:06 AM »
So, it has to be said, the mages in this game are awesome...

I was going through a Dungeon which again felt like a more awesome version of Diablo, and was having some difficulty getting past the 10+ skeletons that would suddenly pop up. Mind you, it wasn't frustrating... I'd just run away and take them out one at a time.

Anyway, my mage just learned her ice cone spell, which freezes anything in its path. It is an awesome spell, and manages to handle a large horde of enemies at a time.

Nah, I chose the Dwarf casteless story, I wanted to play as an underdog. I finished that whole part which I thought was really cool, but now you've made me curious about the noble one. I'll probably make a new Dwarf and just play through the beginning to check it out.

Definitely went for PC, I even added you on the Bioware social network.

Yup, just confirmed. Xessive and Que are on the thing as well. You guys should set your character portraits as your network avatars. I am just curious to see the characters you guys created.