Author Topic: Merry Christmas. With music. And stuph.  (Read 1704 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Merry Christmas. With music. And stuph.
« on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 02:22:32 AM »
Okay, so I was in a horrible mood when I first posted this.  I'm going to try to be happier now.

The new name is The Rumored End.  Never liked the old one that much, so it was mostly placeholder.  So here's a Christmas song to celebrate Christmas and the new name and the new year and whatever the hell you want to celebrate..  Also, in the spirit of giving, I retooled Around the Table a bit.  It isn't a rerecording and the shitty parts aren't fixed, it's really just a hasty remix using some stuff I didn't set with it last go around.  That stuff still isn't any good, but a little mixing magic makes it sound marginally okay.  It does, at least, sound better than not having it there at all.  It's probably worth another download if you thought the last version sounded rather empty (which it did).  And, lastly, I'll just throw up another little thing that's been laying around collecting dust the last few days.  It's a new idea I thought up while I was coming home on the subway, and to my surprise I remembered it long enough to get home and lay it down.  This is exactly ten minutes worth of work.  And it also spawned another album (EP) idea, so future work may be related to it.  Keen listeners may recognize where the title comes from, but that's very doubtful.  Only those fairly well versed in the poetry of Lewis Carroll are likely to know it, and those people are few indeed.  If there's interest, I'll post the poem in question.

Anyway... so is the shitty Christmas music thread updated.  Horjay.
« Last Edit: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:26:26 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Merry Christmas. I guess. Or whatever.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 02:55:34 AM »
Quit being so hard on yourself man, it doesn't suck.  I enjoyed listening to it.  Also, holly sandwich?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Merry Christmas. I guess. Or whatever.
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 22, 2006, 04:13:04 AM »
I am offended by your use of the word 'Christmas'. I refuse to come to work unless and until you remove all things related to it, including the color red, the letter x, fat balding men with beards and children who whine about presents.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Merry Christmas. With music. And stuph.
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:26:42 PM »
New things happen (see above).

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:39:52 PM »
I really, really liked "The Page Idly Lingers", I am interested in the direction the future work related to that is heading.  Which Lewis Carroll work is it from?  I have not read any of his stuff in quite some time, the only poem of his I have read is Jabberwocky.

The remix of Around the Table did fill up some of the emptiness you mentioned and it sounds better than the original, so good stuff, as always man.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:47:30 PM »
Thanks!

The poem is was a dedication called "To MAB".  I actually wrote a poem of the same title to a friend of mine with the same initials some years ago, though I don't think I even have a copy of it anymore.  Either way, Carroll's is better.  It was written in 1869 to Marion Terry (Mary Ann Bessie Terry).  The first four lines I don't know well, but the rest I know by memory.

The royal MAB, dethroned, discrowned
By fairy rebels wild,
Has found a home on English ground,
And lives an English child.
I know it, Maiden, when I see
A fairy-tale upon your knee -
And note the page that idly lingers
Beneath those still and listless fingers -
And mark those dreamy looks that stray
To some bright vision far away,
Still seeking, in the pictured story,
The memory of a vanished glory.

The original title I was going to use for the song idea was Vanished Glory, which might make a bit more sense once I get around to actually giving it a proper structure and adding the intended vocals.  The idea for the EP might seem a little contradictory for a melodic death (ish) disk, but I'm shooting for something very much focused on the emotional impact of children's stories and their ability to cling to us into adulthood in ways both charming and painful.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, December 23, 2006, 11:54:56 PM »
Ohhh...downloady. I'm grabbing the 8bitpeoples christmas album. Its 8 tracks by 8 people made on 8 different consoles/computers with a christmas sound. Should be fun.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 12:01:14 AM »
That sounds awesome.  Linky?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, December 24, 2006, 12:20:27 AM »
The 8bits of Christmas

I found it on this list of Creative Commons licensed Christmas music. Go download it all and end up with 235 Christmas songs.