Author Topic: Left 4 Dead 2 announced  (Read 36571 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Left 4 Dead 2 announced
« Reply #160 on: Friday, June 19, 2009, 07:25:09 PM »
Since this is the most recent L4D thread...

L4D update next week
We're pretty excited about this next Left 4 Dead update, and we hope you will be as well. Since the Left 4 Dead Authoring Tools Beta was released several weeks ago, mod authors have been cooking with gas, so to speak. The ranks of dedicated community members working hard to create new content have been swelling, and a very hungry horde awaits...

We've long believed that Left 4 Dead should fully support community content, and we've been hard at work enhancing the UI and matchmaking systems to provide full support for your creations. The latest update, which will be available via Steam next week, is focused on custom campaigns. It introduces several key features:

Add-Ons
Third party campaigns are designed to be installed using a new Add-On framework. Content authors will be able to package up their new maps, along with new posters, models, and textures, into a single .VPK file. To install and activate this content in-game, players need simply download the .VPK and double click on it. Alternatively, they will be able to drop it into a new "addons" folder. The list of installed add-ons will be viewable from a new item on the 'Extras' main menu flyout.
This...doesn't seem so special. Quake 3 had pk3 archive files for the last decade.

Matchmaking
Because Left 4 Dead is all about sharing, we've re-tooled Left 4 Dead's matchmaking system to provide extensive support for custom add-on campaigns. When creating or searching for a lobby, a new option named "Add-on campaign" will let you select from among the add-on campaigns that you have installed. You can then find games or lobbies as well as create a lobby for that campaign. You can invite your friends, too. If they do not have the campaign installed, they will automatically be offered and an option to download it.
If I'm reading this right, you won't be able to find servers for campaigns you dont already have. You'd need to be invited to the lobby to get the option to download it.

We've also made it easier to create lobbies by adding a 'Create Lobby' option directly from the 'Play Online' menu. Once you're ready to go, the new matchmaking system will automatically try to find any dedicated servers nearby that have the custom add-on campaign installed, or you can make your own local server.

Authoring Tools
We're also officially releasing the Authoring tools/SDK. Thanks to all who provided feedback during the open beta, the authoring tools have been updated with a few fixes and several new additions, including:

* The tutorial_standards map has been expanded into a minimal example campaign add-on called 'Dead Line'
    * A new command line utility for creating and extracting from .VPK files
    * Source files for all the official campaign maps

Also, look for a new tutorial on how to package up your campaigns into add-ons on the Developer Community wiki.

Have fun!
Not much to say except its about damn time the SDK gets released. For real. The question remains, though...is it a real SDK where you can modify the gameplay itself or is this simply for map making?

Its not a bad update, just not what I was hoping for. At least we'll get to see some custom maps finally.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #161 on: Friday, June 19, 2009, 07:34:30 PM »
I use Search function a lot, to find old threads...
Here's the Left 4 Dead ONE Thread.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #162 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 03:29:29 AM »
I like the enw matchmaking option because I always dreaded connecting to a server then finding out I'd have to download a crapload of mod files that it was running. It's one of the reasons I avoid playing UT3 online these days.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #163 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 04:42:38 AM »
Will we be able to say create our own new characters and stuff in L4D1 w/ the SDK?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #164 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 05:02:42 AM »
I like the enw matchmaking option because I always dreaded connecting to a server then finding out I'd have to download a crapload of mod files that it was running. It's one of the reasons I avoid playing UT3 online these days.
Yeah, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory got like this.  Every server was running some special gameplay mod, a unique skin pack, logos, and custom maps.  You'd be lucky if you were playing the game in an hour.  And even if you did, then next map change and you'd have to download that map too.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #165 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 06:58:34 AM »
I remember for classic UT there was a "Pure UT" client-side mod that basically just made so you can see which servers were "pure" against those that were running custom content. It simplified things a it but it also made it look bleak as it became evident that pure servers were very rare.

There's one thing I'm still having trouble understanding regarding Valve software. Steam has a server list that allows you to look up servers outside of the game.. but it only allwos to look up servers for HL1, CS, DoD, HL2, CS:S, and the 5 officially listed HL2 mods. They recently added TF2 due to a lot of complaints about the in-game TF2 server list (it doesn't show ping, sorting problems, etc.)

EDIT:
I forgot to add, I don't understand why they can use the Steam Server List for L4D!
« Last Edit: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 08:30:12 AM by Xessive »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #166 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 08:06:51 AM »

haha I know what you mean about UT3. I like to game for 15 min. before bed and it is just frustrating when UT3 starts downloading stuff from every random server I connect to.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #167 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 09:11:00 AM »
TRIBES got to be the same way after a while.  It wasn't so much a problem of downloads because a lot of the tweaks were small math-based tweaks, but in the end you never seemed to be playing the same game from server to server.  Frustrating.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 09:30:08 AM »
Heh, I used to regularly play a specific Tribes server back in the day that I had no idea was modded until much later when I played more Base. I think the main tweak was the plasma gun fired faster.

I think its good to be able to sort through such mods and changes, to filter for just the servers that are running what you already have. I just think they should let players see and join servers where they don't have that particular map if they want, since the auto-download stuff is there for them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #169 on: Saturday, June 20, 2009, 10:54:45 AM »
Yeah, definitely.  There should be an option to filter for that stuff.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 03:20:19 PM »
Doug Lombardi speaks on some L4D2 stuff.

L4D1 + L4D2 Cross-Play = Being "Looked At"
Valve's VP of Marketing, Doug Lombardi has revealed to TVG that the developer is looking at providing cross-game play between the original Left 4 Dead and its incoming sequel.

Such a feature, which would allow players of the original Left 4 Dead to play alongside other users running Left 4 Dead 2, is one of the demands made by the now 37,000 member strong Left 4 Dead 2 boycott group on Steam.

"That's something that we're trying to work out the details of right now," Lombardi said of the cross-game play feature. "So nothing specific to say today, but we understand that it's a very valid thing to be working on and looking at."

Mods
On the MOD front, Lombardi revealed that Valve is building Left 4 Dead 2 with the aim of allowing MODs to be easily transferable between L4D1 and L4D2:

"With the MOD stuff, if you're making stuff for Left 4 Dead it will work in Left 4 Dead 2 with very minor amounts of work to bring it over. So we feel we've made good steps on that side and now we're looking at how we manage that for folks who buy the first game and sequel."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #171 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 06:40:22 PM »
Doug Lombardi vomits lies and gibberish.

L4D1 + L4D2 Crossdressing-Play = Being "Looked At"
Valve's VP of Marketing, Doug Lombardi has revealed that the developer is looking at providing crossdressing gameplay between the original Left 4 Dead and its incoming sequel.

Such a feature, which would allow players of the original Left 4 Dead to play transsexual/gender-questionable characters alongside other users running Left 4 Dead 2, is one of the demands made by the yawning chasm of human filth that is Steam's collective user base.

"That's something that we're trying to work out the details of right now," Lombardi said of the crossdressing game play feature. "So nothing specific to say today, but expect to see a lot of dongs in some really weird places."

Mods
On the MOD front, Lombardi revealed that Valve is building Left 4 Dead 2 with the aim of allowing MODs to be easily transferable between L4D1 and L4D2:

"With the MOD stuff, if you're making stuff for Left 4 Dead it will work in Left 4 Dead 2 with very minor amounts of work to bring it over. Because, you know, it's exactly the same game.  So we feel we've made good steps on that side and now we're looking at how we manage that for folks who buy the first game and expansion.  Oh... fuck, I mean the sequel.  Shit, did I say that out loud?  Sequel, damn it.  Man, Gabe's gonna' have my balls..."

I know, it's a total troll post, but I had a bad day.  It was funny at least, right?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #172 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 06:47:29 PM »
LMFAO, Que!
Good one!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »
"With the MOD stuff, if you're making stuff for Left 4 Dead it will work in Left 4 Dead 2 with very minor amounts of work to bring it over. So we feel we've made good steps on that side and now we're looking at how we manage that for folks who buy the first game and sequel."
As if having 10 different beta versions of maps weren't bad enough, now you'll have 10 different beta versions for each game to sort through, and you better have the same version as your friends to play.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #174 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
As if having 10 different beta versions of maps weren't bad enough, now you'll have 10 different beta versions for each game to sort through, and you better have the same version as your friends to play.

I wonder what things'll be like when Left 4 Dead 3 pops up in say 2010...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #177 on: Thursday, September 10, 2009, 06:51:19 PM »
In other words: "Yeah, cool game, and thanks for the flight, but you still didn't address any of our actual concerns, you fucking asshats."

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #178 on: Friday, October 02, 2009, 01:48:24 PM »
L4D2 pre-orders can now be made entirely through Steam.

10% off normal price right now -- for $45.
$135 for the four-pack (which would be like $33.75 a person).

No matter how you buy Left 4 Dead 2 on PC, you're going to end up going through Steam eventually. If you're not the type to cling to having a box and disc in hand, pre-ordering directly through Steam looks like the way to go. Valve has begun allowing people to pre-order their latest game and outlined the list of perks you'll get for doing so -- beginning with a 10% discount off the game's regular $50 price, bringing it down to $45.

In addition to that, you'll earn early access to the demo, which Valve says is currently slated for an October 27 release. That's three weeks of demo time to sink your teeth into before the game releases on November 17, at which point you'll get your hands on the final pre-order perk: an exclusive in-game American baseball bat. (No word on whether that comes with a batch of HGH so you can really swing the bat like a pro.)

There's also an offer up on the game's Steam page that allows you to buy four copies of the game at discount, leaving you to distribute the game to three of your friends. The price is $135 which sounds pricey, but that comes out to only $33.75 per person, so that might be the way to go even if you're not feeling charitable. Pool your money with friends and save some cash.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #179 on: Thursday, October 08, 2009, 11:16:39 AM »
Scavenge Mode for L4D2 announced.

Besides the new campaigns and weapons, Left 4 Dead 2 will feature a new multiplayer mode: Scavenge. Here's the PR:

Oct 8, 2009 - Valve, creator of best-selling game franchises (such as Half-Life and Counter-Strike) and leading technologies (such as Steam and Source), today announced Scavenge, the fourth game mode to be included in its upcoming zombie thriller, Left 4 Dead 2.

Scavenge mode challenges players to compete in round-based games of up to 8 players (Survivors vs. Infected). The Survivors must battle both the Infected and the clock as they collect gas cans to refuel a generator located in each map. Every can the Survivors pour into the generator scores their team a point and adds time to the clock.

On defense, the Infected team plays as the boss Infected (including the new Spitter, Jockey, and Charger). They must keep the Survivors from fueling the generator by attacking them, destroying the gas cans, or running out the clock. During a round, each team gets an opportunity to play both sides, with the round going to whichever team successfully delivers the most cans.

Sounds cool and all -- but I'd rather have a 6th campaign to run through.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #180 on: Saturday, October 10, 2009, 06:07:55 AM »
Looks like the last two L4D2 campaigns are revealed (out of 5).

They are going to be:
--> Dead Center -- take place in a mall
--> Hard Rain -- in some sort of urban or industrial area w/ lots of water.

For those who missed the earlier three that were revealed:
--> The Parish
--> Swamp Fever
--> Dark Carnival

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:17:24 PM »
The boycott is over.

Well, that group is. Gah, they start a boycott and then close it up before the game they were "boycotting" was even released. The two "leaders" have decided that Valve has met their goals so they will be deleting the group.

The recently released Crash Course was just the start. Future updates will continue to roll in, and 4v4 matchmaking is first in line. Valve has confirmed to us that it’ll be available before the release of L4D2. Also don’t forget, we have another DLC pack confirmed for sometime in the near future and of course, there will be bug fixes. This is as good as it can get people.

As for Left 4 Dead 2 we are all aware it expands on L4D’s gameplay and takes it to the next level. Its successful sales only confirm that we’ll get to slaughter more zombies in future, not that we have failed. We understand some of you have a problem with its price tag. Personally, I’m quite surprised with the discount on pre-orders; A 4 Pack bundle brings it down to only $33.75 for each person. I see many people took advantage of this including "boycotters", but to be honest that’s a fair price. In other words, that’s what expansions cost.
Is it me or does that read a lot like a press release?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #182 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 12:40:39 PM »

That it does.

It does seem like wimping out but if they feel that their goals have been met then they may as well decalre "victory" in this case, small as it may be.

I still think the pricetage for L4D2 is high. It'll be a while before I even consider it. I'll probably wait until there's a great discount at some point in the future.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 01:34:49 PM »
Now that their goals have been met, Valve can and will probably eventually stop updating L4D1 once all this planned L4D1 DLC content is done. :-X

So, are we going to be able to run L4D1 content in L4D2 or what?
Wasn't that one of the other main concerns of The Boycott group?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #184 on: Wednesday, October 14, 2009, 06:21:22 PM »
Fuck it, I'm still not buying it.  They couldn't even sell me on the first one, let alone the second (only got the first because Pyro was awesome and bought it for me).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #185 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 03:21:03 AM »
The boycott is over.

Well, that group is. Gah, they start a boycott and then close it up before the game they were "boycotting" was even released. The two "leaders" have decided that Valve has met their goals so they will be deleting the group.

WTF?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #186 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #187 on: Thursday, October 15, 2009, 06:05:19 PM »
Haha, not bad.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #188 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 12:40:12 PM »
So, I still don't want to buy the game. Its just too soon, I expect it to be "more of the same", I'd have to use Steam, etc.

But this trailer is fucking awesome. If I was on the fence, I'd be sold on it right now.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #189 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 02:26:40 PM »
Epic CG trailer.

But where's some epic in-game action?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #190 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 06:11:00 PM »
Meh.  Didn't do much for me.  But then, I completely hate all the characters.  Two white douchebags I'd punch in the face if given the chance, an annoying bitch, and a stereotypical big black guy.  Lame.  The action was good, but they didn't showcase the new zombies very well.  I don't really know what they do, but it's like... oh, another one that moves fast and jumps on you, and another barfing one?  Also lame.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #191 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 06:58:39 PM »
At first I was excited and all over the idea of L4D2. Then after thinking for a while, I realized that if it's pretty much the same minute to minute gameplay as the first, and emphasizes repeat playthroughs instead of substantial content, I'm not all that interested. Seriously, the first one is an hour long game, and you have 4 maps to choose from.

I was checking achievements the other day, and it looks like I don't even have the one for finishing one of the scenarios on the first L4D. Apparently I died just before the end, and watched my friends jump on the helicopter and escape without me. My friends got bored of the game fast, and I just don't have the want to play through any of it a second time on my own. It's just not as fun solo, and I don't feel like playing with random people.

I think it's the zombie lover in me that wants me to want this game, but the first just didn't have enough content. I don't care if this came out in 4 years, it would still need more content. The levels are really not THAT complicated that they can't do a full length game like most other developers do. So they did some cool stuff with the director, make a damn full length game that takes advantage of that, at least you won't have to script out the whole level now. L4D is 1 fucking hour long, and has 4 maps to choose from. That is NOT a game worth paying $50-60 for. (oh there's a 5th map now, ooohh, but I have to pay $7 for it since I have the Xbox version)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #192 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:25:12 PM »

I was checking achievements the other day, and it looks like I don't even have the one for finishing one of the scenarios on the first L4D. Apparently I died just before the end, and watched my friends jump on the helicopter and escape without me. My friends got bored of the game fast, and I just don't have the want to play through any of it a second time on my own. It's just not as fun solo, and I don't feel like playing with random people.

Heh, I just started playing through the game again and got that achievement the other night.  I was also surprised I never got it (probably the exact same situation).

I'm torn on the L4D2 thing.  On one hand, I do feel the price I paid for the first was worth it.  On the other, I don't think the sequel is worth it, and it's even existence cheapens the experience and value of the first (I imagine barren servers and the like).  All in all, I think Valve dropped the ball and it SHOULD be an expansion.  I can see why they did it and would even jump on board if it was more of an upgrade, but as it is, it's not worth it and will probably kill the first game.

I also want to know how they could pump this out but not a word of HL2: E3 yet. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #193 on: Thursday, October 22, 2009, 11:50:53 PM »
I'm torn on the L4D2 thing.  On one hand, I do feel the price I paid for the first was worth it.  On the other, I don't think the sequel is worth it, and it's even existence cheapens the experience and value of the first (I imagine barren servers and the like).  All in all, I think Valve dropped the ball and it SHOULD be an expansion.  I can see why they did it and would even jump on board if it was more of an upgrade, but as it is, it's not worth it and will probably kill the first game.

I also want to know how they could pump this out but not a word of HL2: E3 yet.

According to most video game journalists, you are stupid for entertaining those thoughts.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #194 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 04:46:37 AM »
Haha "Idiots! Stop questioning the almighty Valve and buy the damn thing!! JUST DO IT!!"

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #195 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 04:32:25 PM »
When L4D2 PC is say $30 or less - which is the usual asking price of an expansion or stand-alone expansion, since this is what this game looks like to me - call me!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #196 on: Friday, October 23, 2009, 05:19:00 PM »
I nearly considered getting the $65 L4D+L4D2 pack, gifting L4D (which still costs $50 in stores here, but only $30 on Steam) to a friend and keeping L4D2 for myself (making it $15 worth if I gauge it by local prices, $35 by Steam's price). Then my conscience kicked me in the gut.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #197 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 12:32:29 AM »
I just ran across these pictures showing possible pathing variations for the new AI director. Apparently it can change up the path you take through a map so it's not always the same.

I'm still skeptical, but this is one of the things that may add some longevity to the game that was missing from the first. I don't, know, I really like what I see when I watch the trailers, but if I think back to how much I actually played the first L4D, I realize it wasn't much and I start to lose interest again.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #198 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 01:11:33 AM »
See, thats cool and actually something I wanted to see from the original. Come on, you got random spawns for everything else. Random pathing through the level was the next logical step.

Though I wanted to go one further. The campaign starts on the same map, but I wanted the random pathing to lead you to different exits, which lead to completely different maps. So instead of 5 distinct campaigns you have one branching "tree" of maps and depending on the pathing through it you will have different outcomes. You might start by heading towards the hospital but by the end you could be trying to catch a plane (to use the first games scenarios as an example).

The only problem with such a setup is not being able to choose the map you feel like playing. I guess you could have a "route chooser" that would guide you through the series you wanted...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #199 on: Saturday, October 24, 2009, 08:50:30 AM »
That's definitely nice, but I don't think it's going to add all that much in the end.  I.e. it's just not enough on its own.  As part of a greater package of significant improvements (and more fucking content) it'd be cool, but it certainly isn't going to sell me on anything.  Step in the right direction, at least.