Author Topic: Well, that sucks  (Read 1962 times)

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Well, that sucks
« on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »
I walked into my place after a 12 hour day and three hour commute to find a thin layer of water all over the floor. Strange.  It seems that there was a drip from my tap...that was hitting the end of a scrub brush on the counter, causing the water to spash and, over about fifteen hours, fill the counter, drip off of it, and pool on the tile (also, through a transition and under some laminate, but whatever - that stuff was shit that's buckling any ways.

So, I cleaned it up, checked around any electronics and, yup - no water.  I go to turn on my computer....nothing. No lights, not posting, nothing. Check again, no water anywhere near it. Open up the case, no water in it.  Try to turn it on in a different outlet...nothing.  Everything else has power, so it's definitely a problem with the system.

Now, here's the thing.  I pretty much never leave my computer on when I leave in the morning, so I doubt it was running. It's also plugged into a surge protector, which is in turn plugged into a power bar...and every thing else connected is fine.  I suppose the power supply (a pretty ~6 year old 450 watt) could have just died on it's own, but the timing would be amazing.

Thank god for laptops.  Now, I guess I'm throwing down some cash on a power supply to see if that works.  The thing is that if it doesn't, I'm already $50 in and would be more inclined to throw down another $300 and buy a new system at that point (hoping that the video card and hard drives were still good).

Blah.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Well, that sucks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 10:15:58 PM »
Well, damn. That does suck.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, May 08, 2012, 10:33:02 PM »
Yeah that sucks.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 12:17:44 AM »
I don't know if I'd be more suprised if it was water related or if it was just random.  Fingers crossed a power supply fixes it.  Anyone know what type of wattage I'd be looking at if I ended up having to buy a new system and going with an i5?

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 06:10:02 AM »
My desktop's motherboard died in 2010 because the surge protector I had it plugged into was plugged into an ungrounded outlet.  Over time, the line spikes and sags took their toll.  It also killed a few USB devices like my wireless USB adapter for my Xbox 360 controller.

Crazy how the water thing happened though.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 06:52:28 AM »
But nobody beats your crazy water stories, Scott.   :(

Not that I'm dissing gpw's woes.  Sorry about that, man.  I hate it when several problems stack up at once.  It makes me feel so small.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 10:28:29 PM »
My desktop's motherboard died in 2010 because the surge protector I had it plugged into was plugged into an ungrounded outlet.  Over time, the line spikes and sags took their toll.  It also killed a few USB devices like my wireless USB adapter for my Xbox 360 controller.

Crazy how the water thing happened though.

...my wireless USB adapter for my xbox 360 controller died last year. The plot thickens.  Although, this house is new enough that I'd be amazed if the outlet actually wasn't grounded (build long after three pronged plugs were mandated).  Like, there's no reason it wouldn't be unless it's the shittiest electrician in the world and they somehow didn't fail inspection enough times for the inspector to start looking for stuff like that.  But you never know...lights do burn out at an amazing rate.

And I was so confused about the water at first.  Like, this drip was nothing and I couldn't figure out where the water was coming from.  Tiny little splash.  Thank god I'm in the basement here.

I'm still really torn on whether it'd be worth it to get the psu in case it is the motherboard.  I mean, I'd like to replace the whole thing if I have to (by that I mean psu, mobo, cpu, and ram...I HOPE at most), and it'd probably be pretty cheap...but still a few hundred I'd rather not spend.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 09, 2012, 10:40:06 PM »
But nobody beats your crazy water stories, Scott.   :(

Not that I'm dissing gpw's woes.  Sorry about that, man.  I hate it when several problems stack up at once.  It makes me feel so small.

Thanks.  It's funny because everything is fucked right now. I'm commuting three hours a day min. (round trip), I have a giant crack in my windshield, I haven't had time to go to the gym or run in months (this is a pretty big sore spot for me), I never have time to cook again, My phone screen is smashed and the charging port is broken, clothes are starting to get thread-bare, we can't replace a room mate so my rent's gone up $200/month, I float all my work expenses to the end of the month, which is usually $500-$700, and I've been working ~12 hour days on top of the commute yet  I'm generally broke as hell all of a sudden when I was fine a month ago for no real reason.

The upside is I just laugh about everything now. I know what I have to do to solve most of these problems, but I'm going out of my way to help someone out and I recognize that there's some sacrifice involved in that. But once I realized there wasn't any real water damage and it was just the computer it was just like "fuck it, another drop in the bucket - I'll make it work".  I had an epiphany a few weeks ago and none of this really matters. I guess you just do what you can to fix what you can and go with it.

But yes, it does make you feel small for sure because you can't do anything to have an immediate impact on the situation.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, May 12, 2012, 06:25:29 PM »
I ended up buying a Corsair 550w on sale for $54 from $100 and something. It was the power supply, and it actually seems quite a bit more quiet (and the cables are so much easier to deal with) so upgrade, I guess?   

The good news is obviously that everything else is fine.  The bad news is that I'm now totally into buying a new system after looking at prices and stuff.