Author Topic: Doom, Quake...now: Rage  (Read 25911 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Doom, Quake...now: Rage
« on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 07:57:10 PM »
Gamespot preview

60% shooting, 40% driving. Travel from village to village in a wasteland, killing things. Your vehicle is customizable. Can get out of the vehicle and explore caves and stuff. 20 hours of gameplay. Aiming for Teen rating (which is a departure for id, obviously).

Gamevideos has a video up, I'm downloading it now.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Doom, Quake...now: Rage
« Reply #1 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 08:48:51 PM »
That video on GSpot was actually pretty damned sweet.  I'm sold already!  It sounds like a lot of fun.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
Oh, Shacknews (and Fileshack) have the HD version to download, which I am totally grabbing. (well, the "HD" version is a high res cam off the screen, not direct feed)

Its still some with shit to think about, how they set this engine up. Everything can have a unique texture. Thats just fucking nuts. After so much time with games having tiled terrain textures, wall textures, and even mirrored face/body textures, so have everything that you can flat out do whatever you want with the texture and the engine simply doesn't give a shit because its designed to handle it anyway is mind boggling. Have a game like Oblivion running on the engine, and every single person has different clothes, different faces, every single pot, plate, scroll, and junk item has its own unique cracks and color, the terrain you're walking on never has to repeat anywhere, like the cobblestone, snow, grass, etc, each building has unique dirt and grime on the outside....like...woah.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 03, 2007, 11:20:34 PM by idolminds »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #3 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 10:50:14 PM »
#$(##&%&%Q@$Q@%&%&*#&@$&@&#!!!!!!!!!!11111!!!!!!!

Holy fucking shit. I can't believe what Im seeing and reading. Its like id probed my mind. This is THE game I have always dreamed of. Its the game that I wanted to make myself if I could possibly make a game. Now I thought I wanted it to be an MMO but there was Auto Assault which turned out okay and not exactly what I had in mind, what I preferred actually would be a single player experience. But it would be an FPS with a heavy driving element to it, like those driving sections in HL2, I loved that, I just wished they took that aspect and created a game out from that, and have it set in a post apocalyptic world. Now here it is!! Man Im just geeking out here, this seems weird.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Friday, August 03, 2007, 11:01:32 PM »
That looks pretty damn sweet, can't wait to see some more gameplay videos on it.  I'll definitely be considering this for PS3 or PC if I have my PC upgraded up to snuff by then. 

That texture engine is fucking amazing, even with normal mapping cutting down on geometry load times significantly, textures still required a good portion of the video card and RAM to look really good, now it seems it is almost a moot point.  I would love to play with that engine a little and see how the textures are applied and how it works with the models.  Just when everyone was thinking a couple of years ago that Unreal 3 was going to be THE engine that everyone was going to be using for next gen, id throws this shit out of left field.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 05:44:44 AM »
Oh, hell yeah!!!

For an actual Id game, this is the most exciting news I feel that Id has thrown at me possibly EVER. W/ Quake 4 and Doom 3, I was excited -- but, I knew that Id wasn't completely evolving in game structure. I knew those would be solid games on outstanding engines -- but, yeah that's about it. Id's been consistent, over the years. Id has always held down their engines, no problem. They've always had their gameplay done extremely well -- but, since Doom 1, they've never really pushed the envelope in giving the gamer more than a linear FPS game...

...Well, until now. Looks like STALKER suddenly started a nice trend, didn't it? Now, one of the best in the industry of technical aspect, follows GSC's lead. So, instead of hearing about another new linear Id FPS, Id FINALLY goes open-ended in its actual gameworld!!! FINALLY, the evolution of Id in game structure!!!

Oh, then just throw in some customizable vehicles and say the game it'll be around 20 hours of gameplay -- oh, hell yes!!!!!! And, yes -- POST-APOCALYPTIC SETTING!!!! I do love that setting.

Great freakin' trailer.

And cool Interview w/ Willits.

SIGN ME THE HELL UP FOR THIS -- the week of release!

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 11:51:22 AM »
eh, i'm not as confident as you guys. the engine looks good and can do a lot of neat things, that's a given, but the game itself i'm not so sure about. it could be as amazing as what some of you guys are wishing for, but i personally didn't like the look of the racing segments. i think using a vehicle to navigate around and find places is a great idea to expand what you can do in an fps, but it didn't look like exploration to me, more just like a typical racing game. from what i've seen of it, i'm a little sceptical of how they are planning on merging the genres, because it didn't look all that seamless to me. also, i wouldn't be hoping for a stalker like experience D, knowing id, i think it will be infinitely more constrained than that.

that said, i'm still looking forward to it, but more for new engine than anything else.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 02:13:40 PM »
IGN put up some behind the scenes videos here that you can stream (or if you're like me, downloading the .flv). I'm not sure whats in the first vid, but the 2nd is already into talking about the tools themselves, so it should be cool to see. I've only got the first couple seconds downloaded so far, but they show a character in the editor and it immediately struck me that it looks like the character is casting soft shadows as opposed to the hard edge shadows of Doom 3.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
I'd sort of second what beo said, though I remain more positive about it. The main thing I'm seconding is that D is probably way, way off the mark.  Which I'm sure comes as a huge surprise to all of us.   :P  Climb back from the clouds, D.  I don't think this will be very open or non-linear.  I just think it sounds like fun.  If it *were* an expansive, open-ended game that would be completely awesome, but my guess is it'll be more or less just a shooter with racing segments in between... unless they get more provocative with the theme as they go.  But I doubt it.

Still, I'm totally in.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 04:20:44 PM »
I'd sort of second what beo said, though I remain more positive about it. The main thing I'm seconding is that D is probably way, way off the mark.  Which I'm sure comes as a huge surprise to all of us.   :P  Climb back from the clouds, D.  I don't think this will be very open or non-linear.
It'll at least be more "open" than any other Id game in their past -- as we'll have a gameworld to explore, regardless of if every mission has one finish to it or if say there's just a handful of side missions to do.

I just think it sounds like fun.  If it *were* an expansive, open-ended game that would be completely awesome, but my guess is it'll be more or less just a shooter with racing segments in between... unless they get more provocative with the theme as they go.  But I doubt it.

Still, I'm totally in.
This is the most different thing I've seen from Id in years.
I'm still in.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, August 04, 2007, 10:27:05 PM »
Well, the visuals do definitely impress.  I wonder if the racing/vehicle parts will be any good.  I mean what does id know about that?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, August 05, 2007, 03:31:03 PM »
I think ID is trying to milk the IPs they already have into some thing. They changed Quake, Doom and now they're trying to make a non-generic that totally looks generic? Sorry guys, but ID doesn't make sandbox games, its looks restricting to me. If it is, I'm fine with that, but don't advertise it as open ended.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, July 01, 2010, 02:24:25 PM »
Want some wallpapers? Get them here!

They have zips containing 25 different resolutions, from iPhones to nice big desktops. But if you want to wallpaper your, like, actual house, they have 25,600×16,000 pixel images they used to make the massive wall art at E3. 150MB for those.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
That first one looks strangely familiar.  Now where have I seen a city in ruins like that recently?  Hmm . . .  I can almost put my finger on it.   :P

Nice thread bump too.  You're not allowed to give D any shit for 3 days.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 10:20:34 AM »
Well the other Rage threads that were more recent were more about something specific, and I didnt want to make a new thread just for wallpapers. So...bump.

And I don't usually give D shit, so :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Friday, July 02, 2010, 10:30:26 AM »
Haha!  Yeah, I know.  I'm more apt to do that.  :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, July 04, 2010, 04:36:31 PM »
And I don't usually give D shit, so :P

Good. :P

Haha!  Yeah, I know.  I'm more apt to do that.  :)
So true...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 07:58:27 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 07:39:35 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, April 10, 2011, 07:39:17 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 07:42:17 AM »
1Up -> Dead City Trailer; Info on MP and Co-Op Portions of the game.

Things To Note:
-- MP -> Rage Combat Rally Mode
Multiple game-modes within this - Team Rally, Vehicle Deathmatch, and Chain Rally.
Chain Rally Mode - Everybody goes after ONE specific lead driver.
Score points by driving through rally points and by also killing people [on foot and in vehicles].
Matches last around 3 minutes [which can be adjusted, if you like].
They have it working for 4 players, but they are aiming for 6 if possible.
Aiming for 5 maps out-the-box with possibly DLC planned later.

-- Co-Op -> Legends of The Wasteland
Still working on this and nailing down how it'll work.
They are unsure if missions will be unlocked by playing or if you have all access from the start.
Basically, certain missions from the SP portion will be pre-defined maps and missions for 2-player Co-Op.
They will be tweaked for the Co-Op to have additional enemies, puzzles, etc.

-- Pre-Orders -> Get a Upgrade to Rage: Anarchy Edition -
Comes with some extra content, which includes Double-Barred Shotgun; Fists of Rage brass knuckles; Crimson Elite Armor; Custom Rat Rod Buggy; and extra mission called "The Wasterland Sewers."

For More Details, look below...
MP -> Rage Combat Rally Mode
First, lead designer Matt Hooper and creative director Tim Willits recently showed off Rage's main multiplayer component: "Rage Combat Rally." Willits described this mode as the "best of both worlds," as it provides a measure of Id Software's signature competitive multiplayer combat, while also emphasizing the vehicular action that Rage introduces. Additionally, this mode also layers objectives on top of traditional free-for-all deathmatching -- which Willits believes adds a measure of depth and tactical interest on top of the "drive forth and kill" mentality.

At the moment, Rage Combat Rally supports four players (the developers are aiming for six, but everything is subject to technical constraints and gameplay balance), and a typical match lasts about three minutes (which can be adjusted by players). The basic goal, besides shooting your opponents, is to score points by driving through rally points -- these in turn grant multipliers for your overall score. Victory conditions depend on which mode you're playing (Team Rally, Chain Rally where pretty much everybody drives after the lead player, and simple Vehicle Deathmatch), and all stats get stored into a persistent profile that details your level progression (which in turn unlocks additional vehicles, weapons, and items). The current plan is to have at least five Rage Combat Rally maps out-of-the-box, with DLC to be determined later.

Co-Op -> Legends of The Wasteland
For the next feature, Hooper quipped, "How can you do co-op with big single player campaign?" He discounted the idea of simply dropping another player into the same universe, but he noted that the team stumbled upon the idea of "legends." "You know, when the sheriff of Wellsprings talks about the time when he and a couple of the boys walked into town after the Shrouded had taken over," stated Hooper. Hence, the separate cooperative mode called "Legends of the Wasteland," where two players work through a defined side-mission (such as the aforementioned Wellspring clean-up, or a cooperative version of Mutant Bash TV). The main differences in co-op look like increased enemy count and occasional puzzles (such as one player opening vaults or passageways, and the other player defending the opener or grabbing a now-accessible item). The team is still experimenting with how many missions total, or the exact structure (do you unlock missions? Or access all of them right away?) of this mode.

Pre-Orders get Anarchy Edition with some extra content
Finally, the team announced that all pre-orders will upgrade your copy of Rage to the "Anarchy Edition," which includes an additional suite of weapons, missions, and gear. The weapons include a Double-Barreled Shotgun (Hooper commented, "it's not an Id game without a Double-Barreled Shotgun," though I'm kind of curious as to why said shotgun isn't part of the default arsenal) and the Fists of RAGE (a particularly nasty looking set of brass knuckles), while the gear includes a custom vehicle (the Rat Rod Buggy) and a set of Crimson Elite armor.

The last bit of content named was the "Wasteland Sewer" mission (only the name was given; whether or not this is the same mission as seen in previous demonstrations remains to be seen). As to whether or not there's a price difference, or if these items would be available as DLC post-release, is still to be determined. Still, these multiplayer options and extra bonus gear help maintain our interest in Id's big new fall 2011 game.
« Last Edit: Monday, April 18, 2011, 08:07:18 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 08:09:01 AM »
Fuck. That trailer was amazing.

Where's the preorder button?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #23 on: Monday, April 18, 2011, 08:14:09 AM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 05, 2011, 01:40:27 PM »
Editor in the PC version
Want to mod Rage? Good. Speaking to PC Gamer at a recent press event, Id Creative Director Tim Willits revealed that the PC version of Rage will support modding and level design right out of the box. All you need to do, says Tim, is “Pull down the console, type ‘id studio’, then press enter. Then, bam, there’s all the tools we use.”

As for what you’ll be creating, that’s a little trickier; Id’s technology has moved on since you could fit 100′s of Doom levels on a CD. “Building levels from scratch is more difficult,” says Tim, “because we have a layer system in some of the levels. I can foresee somebody modding up Wellspring (a town in-game) and adding different characters, giving them different voice-over.” But if you’ve got the development skills to use it, the level editor will be there. “It’s built into the engine,” says Tim.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 05, 2011, 04:42:51 PM »
That's awesome news, Idol!
Can't wait to see the mod community go Mod-crazy w/ this one.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #26 on: Saturday, June 04, 2011, 10:17:34 AM »
RAGE -> "The Well" GamePlay Trailer.
Approx. 8 minutes in length.
AWESOME.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 11:30:37 AM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, August 02, 2011, 11:39:06 PM »
Funny. That was pretty positive, but this is positively effusive. I'm really looking forward to it.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, August 03, 2011, 10:04:52 PM »
I've watched some of the gameplay features that were shown but I'm going to avoid that Giantbomb video to keep my experience fresh when I play it. Im pretty sure I'm going to get my preorder on Steam now though.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 06:45:20 AM »
It's actually not video... just a writeup.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 01:21:26 PM »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, August 04, 2011, 03:16:08 PM »
Holy fuck me that was awesome.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Monday, August 08, 2011, 03:23:53 PM »
Destructoid -> John Carmack is frustrated w/ PS3 and X360, when compared to the PC.

We all know that computers are more powerful than consoles, but id Software's John Carmack is sick of it. Citing the struggle to get RAGE running on PS3 and Xbox 360, Carmack has admitted to being "extremely frustrated" by hardware discrepancies.

"It is extremely frustrating knowing that the hardware we've got on the PC is often ten times as powerful as the consoles but it has honestly been a struggle in many cases to get the game running at 60 frames per second on the PC like it does on a 360," he said during his QuakeCon keynote.

He said that even something as simple as texture updating can be a nightmare, due to the console's relative simplicity in comparison to the PC code. He has also complained about a gamer's inability to plug in a keyboard and access a game's debug menu on PS3 and 360 -- something PC fans have always enjoyed.

Despite all these frustrations, Carmack maintains the 360 and PS3 versions are looking good. He's done a pretty fine job of selling me on the PC version, in any case.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #34 on: Monday, August 08, 2011, 03:33:41 PM »
Destructoid - Carmack says the X360 version is on 3 DVD's, takes up 22 GB on HDD, and highly recommends it to be installed.

If you're looking to buy Rage on the Xbox 360 and you like to install your games, you're going to need to do a sh*tload of deletion first. id Software's John Carmack has stated that you'll need to shove 22GB of information down your 360's throat.

Despite the large file size, Carmack believes you'll definitely want to install it, should the 360 be your jam.

"On the 360 we don't have a partial install option; it’s all or nothing, which is kind of unfortunate," he said. "It means you have to install 21/22GB of stuff which takes a long time but if you've got it and you play it on the 360 that’s the way to go.

"Once you get everything from memory that works pretty good, but if youre coming straight from the hard drive then the first time you walk into everything from the DVD or from the Blu-ray -- even worse in terms of total latency time -- you listen to that Blu-ray churning around as its [sic] pulling everything in."

Rage will ship on three DVDs -- two for the single-player game, one for the multiplayer mode.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 12:22:06 PM »
I apparently missed this little gem.
Eurogamer: Everyone's messing around with Online Pass.

Tim Willits: We have the first-time buyer stuff with all the sewers. You've played Rage five times. Have you found any sewer hatches?

Eurogamer: I did, out in the Wasteland.

Tim Willits: If you bought the game new, that would be open for you. You still have to download it, but you don't have to pay for it. Those hatches are all over. Most people never find them. But as soon as you do, you're like, oh. And then you start to look for it. That's our first-time buyer incentive.

But as you can tell, most people never even see it. I can tell you, some people will buy Rage, download that, and still never set foot in those things. They just won't. I think that's fair. It's cool. It's outside the main path. We're not detracting from anything. But I know some consumers, when you can't avoid it, then you get a little touchy subject.

Eurogamer: I worry longer-term everything's just going to get broken up into chunks.

Tim Willits: I don't see that any time soon. Again, as long as you buy Rage new you get everything free. We're not taking stuff out.
Its not like I was planning on buying a used copy, but...for fucks sake.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
If you're looking to buy Rage on the Xbox 360 and you like to install your games, you're going to need to do a sh*tload of deletion first. id Software's John Carmack has stated that you'll need to shove 22GB of information down your 360's throat.

Despite the large file size, Carmack believes you'll definitely want to install it, should the 360 be your jam.

"On the 360 we don't have a partial install option; it’s all or nothing, which is kind of unfortunate," he said. "It means you have to install 21/22GB of stuff which takes a long time but if you've got it and you play it on the 360 that’s the way to go.

That's actually awesome news.  It means the game code is aware of the difference between an HDD installation and a straight-from-DVD swapping experience.  Most games have no knowledge of this difference.  After you install discs to the HDD, the system handles the low level stuff transparently for the game applications.  (I.e., games don't typically know or care whether they're running from DVD or a DVD image on the HDD.)  This presents a problem for multigame discs in that you would still need to swap them out even if their contents had been dumped into the hard drive.  At least I think so.  But if the Rage application is dealing with the installed data itself, then this snag wouldn't happen, not to mention that the program should run more efficiently overall by optimizing for HDD install.

22 GB?  Ha!  I still have 140 free.  Bring it on!

Edit:
"It is extremely frustrating knowing that the hardware we've got on the PC is often ten times as powerful as the consoles but it has honestly been a struggle in many cases to get the game running at 60 frames per second on the PC like it does on a 360," he said during his QuakeCon keynote.

He said that even something as simple as texture updating can be a nightmare, due to the console's relative simplicity in comparison to the PC code.

I linked an article detailing this surprising issue before.  I need to go find it.

Yeah.  Here is the topic I started on it.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #37 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 06:18:42 PM »
I should have plenty of space on my Xbox HDD for Rage. I know the PC will be better in some ways (most ways), but it will still be great on Xbox. Then within a year I should be able to get the PC version for cheap so I can mess with mods and such.

EDIT: lol I only had 8GB free. I deleted some installed disc games and a shitload of demos I never play, and now I have 116GB free.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 06:40:15 PM by W7RE »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 01:09:22 AM »
That's actually awesome news.  It means the game code is aware of the difference between an HDD installation and a straight-from-DVD swapping experience.  Most games have no knowledge of this difference.  After you install discs to the HDD, the system handles the low level stuff transparently for the game applications.  (I.e., games don't typically know or care whether they're running from DVD or a DVD image on the HDD.)  This presents a problem for multigame discs in that you would still need to swap them out even if their contents had been dumped into the hard drive.  At least I think so.  But if the Rage application is dealing with the installed data itself, then this snag wouldn't happen, not to mention that the program should run more efficiently overall by optimizing for HDD install.

22 GB?  Ha!  I still have 140 free.  Bring it on!

Edit:
I linked an article detailing this surprising issue before.  I need to go find it.

Yeah.  Here is the topic I started on it.

About to head to bed and can't really get into the article, but what's the reason behind it?  Better dev tools?  It makes sense that console companies would focus on simplified systems easier to code with and well developed dev tools, making developing games on their platform more enticing and cost effective.  Meanwhile, I don't imagine Intel, Nvidia, AMD/ATI could give much of a shit.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 06:14:11 AM »
I still have a 20gig hard drive. Load times incoming.