Author Topic: So, who is getting "Spore"  (Read 19744 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
So, who is getting "Spore"
« on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 07:54:48 PM »
I reserved it the other day. Kind of excited about it. But I'm looking to hear more about it. I like the idea, and it was fun creating your own creature with the creature creator. So, I guess we'll see.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: So, who is getting "Spore"
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:11:46 PM »
Right here...except I'm really broke.  Like, not really any more broke than I used to be when paying tuition at the start of a semester, but now all of a sudden I realize how it sucks more.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:12:58 PM »
My misgivings with the game and the company are pretty well documented in the other thread already.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:16:41 PM »
I'm going to wait until it's out for awhile to decide.  It seems too sandboxy and less of an actual game to me right now.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:18:39 PM »
I'll have to see how it turns out. I'm a little wary of buying EA games right off the bat.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:26:20 PM »
I'm waiting and seeing. Let the initial love-fest die down and then get people real reactions to it. The creature creator was cool, but after a while it was kind of like "Ok, I can make any weird blobby creature I want. Now what?" So hopefully the actual gameplay parts of Spore are good.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 08:38:31 PM »
You know, I think it's kind of interesting.  They leaked the creature creator out there to sort of bring that excitement to a head but I think it kind of did the opposite like you said.  Instead of drumming up interest it killed it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 09:03:45 PM »
Agreed. Or at least, there shouldn't have been such a huge gap between the creator release and retail game. They never should have pushed the retail Creature Creator. Download only, and push it out maybe a month before the game hits. Then you create this wave of excitement for the tools and then just ride it into the games release.

I need a job in marketing. This stuff should be obvious to people.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 09:13:58 PM »
Actually, I don't know about all that.  For people like us that may be the case, but for Joe and Jane consumer I don't  think the editor was anything other than positive.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 10:37:20 PM »
Yeah, it really seems on sites like digg.com and somethingawful.com (which both have very video game friendly demographics) that the editor probably even created more interest.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday, September 02, 2008, 11:05:01 PM »
I'm probably gonna wait.  There are quite a few games coming out in the next few weeks that I am interested in, so I'm gonna see if Spore lives up to the hype.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 01:52:19 PM »
Until Spore gets at least revokes to be allowed for its Securom activation crap, no sale until it at least hit the Bargain Bin.

EDIT:
REVIEW:
9.2 from IGN Australia
« Last Edit: Wednesday, September 03, 2008, 03:52:14 PM by MysterD »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, September 04, 2008, 07:37:29 AM »
well it's already available through certain channels... might give it a whirl.

here's some more reviews (ganked from joystiq).

PC Gamer UK (91/100): "Spore falls a little short of its promise at every stage, but bear in mind that its concept is as close as we've come to a game incarnation of the Lord our God."

IGN (88/100): "In fact, Spore is essentially five distinct games woven together. And here, Maxis demonstrates a weakness, as a number of these games come off as lightweight or limited. However, Spore is a prime example of something that is much more than the sum of its many parts."

Gamespot (80/100): "Taken on their own, its pieces are nothing special. As parts of a singular ambitious vision, they work far better. Throw in the best customization tools seen in years and an enthusiastic community brimming with creativity, and you have a legitimately great game that will deliver hours of quality entertainment."

certainly not bad - good even, but maybe not quite as great as all the hype has led us to believe.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, September 04, 2008, 01:04:10 PM »
I was really excited about Spore back when I was first hearing info about it, but now not so much. I bought the creature creature and I honestly only made like 3 creatures, only 1 of which I felt like uploading. The thing is just way too limited for the things I wanted it to do. Then I think about the fact that the game itself will be way different and I'm not sure I'd really spend time on it.

Plus, it's released on the same day that Warhammer Online starts it's open beta, so I'd probably never touch it lol.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Friday, September 05, 2008, 05:21:30 PM »
Seems like every game that has some sort of online activation is having this trouble lately.  The authentication servers must not be able to cope with the traffic that hits with a new release.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, September 06, 2008, 08:02:32 AM »
Seems like every game that has some sort of online activation is having this trouble lately.  The authentication servers must not be able to cope with the traffic that hits with a new release.

I think that's exactly what it is.

Though, I don't know what was up, but it took me a few times to authenticate Alone in the Dark 2008 -- and this game's been out for a bit. And I don't think it sold too many PC game copies, either. It just would not connect, even if the code inputted correctly, the first few tries. But then, then it decided when I clicked "retry" to go through.

I think Securom's shoddy, myself.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 06:20:15 PM »
Trogdor!!!!

That alone makes me want to play.

Ahh. Homestarrunner
« Last Edit: Sunday, September 07, 2008, 11:31:21 PM by ScaryTooth »

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #19 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 05:00:34 AM »
Maxis needs to really break away from EA.  They are ruining their awesome name by being partnered/owned by them.  I have been playing spore and its a fun game but EA is really starting to ruin it all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 06:21:43 AM »
But EA has all the money in the world, and Maxis isn't going anywhere because they like money.  Even if EA ruins stuff, it only smells like success to those bathing in greenbacks.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #21 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 09:17:29 AM »
Whats sucks is Spore itself is a really fun game.  After playing it all day yesterday It's really really fun.  The first stages in the game go by pretty fast sadly.  but the space stage I notice is where all the hours of game play is.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 08:00:45 PM »
Maxis should partner-up with Stardock.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Monday, September 08, 2008, 10:59:20 PM »
Has Maxis ever published anything outside of EA?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 12:35:17 AM »
Has Maxis ever published anything outside of EA?

I believe most of the original Sim City games were published way before EA bought them.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 01:26:03 AM »
I believe you can go to hell.

Anyways, it seems that some people are complaining about being let down by this.  While I haven't played it, I also haven't heard of any missing features or anything like that. This leads me to believe that once again, people got themselves hyped up into thinking a game was going to change their world and offer free intercourse and turned around and blamed the developers and press when they found out it was just a game.

Offline Dragonlor

• Nii-San!
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 02:30:21 AM »
They did take out the swimming phase but that's the only thing I saw that was different.  Otherwise the game is fun and plenty of replay value.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, September 09, 2008, 07:07:01 PM »
I saw a Spore billboard on my way to work today, towering above the freeway.  It was... weird.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »
Oh, here's more on Spore issues.

Looks like there's a discrepancy b/t what the Spore manual says about having multiple online accounts per each allowed installation and what EA themselves are saying (you can have one account per activation code).

This is all over the game news sites today, looks like EA confirmed it. What this means is, say you and your wife want to play Spore. Since only one account per key is allowed, you can't have separate Spore accounts. All your creates will be tagged as being made by the same person, and I believe there is only one save game per account so...you're kinda stuck. According to a poster on Evil Avatar, even if you bought another copy of the game you'd still need to install it on a different system!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Friday, September 12, 2008, 01:37:55 PM »
According to a poster on Evil Avatar, even if you bought another copy of the game you'd still need to install it on a different system!
That's crazy.

You'd figure as long as you bought another game copy, you could have another game account, at least.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #31 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 05:19:39 AM »
I found the SPORE Prototype Program Pack up on Fileplanet.

Here's a description:
Spore has been a huge undertaking. Along the way the developers ended up exploring countless design directions in gameplay, simulation and user interface.

One of the ways in which we explore possible design directions is by building simple, playable prototypes that we can play around with to get a sense for a particular system.

Usually these prototypes are never seen by the public, but we thought some of the more intrepid players out there might enjoy playing around with a few of our early Spore prototypes. Keep in mind these are not tested, supported or even easily explained.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 07:57:11 AM »
So I picked the game up at the Magical Underworld Store, and I think the Gametrailers.com review I watched is pretty spot on.  There's a sense of wonder and joy at every turn, and also a sense of disappointment.  The game is a magical thing, and amazingly well done in many small ways, particularly in relation to the creatures themselves (who definitely take center stage), but there's a huge, huge sense of wasted potential for me, even as early as the first stage, the cell stage.  It's really neat in a lot of ways, fun to play, and gorgeous to look at... but they did virtually nothing with it.  It's so paper-thin it's disgusting, and not because it's terrible, but just because the system they set up could have been built upon almost effortlessly.  They could have made some interesting little mechanical choices and come up with a much deeper, longer little experience, and it would have required practically no major changes to the system that's there.  It's the grandest example of wasted potential I've ever seen, and because of that lasts you maybe 10 minutes.  What a shame!  I haven't explored the next stage much, but I hear all the stages barring the last are very short, and while some are cool, the shortness is unsatisfying because you just don't get to revel in the quirks of that particular stage for long enough.

So I'll maybe post more impressions later, but I think a lot of what's been said about this one is true.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 08:35:10 AM »
This is all over the game news sites today, looks like EA confirmed it. What this means is, say you and your wife want to play Spore. Since only one account per key is allowed, you can't have separate Spore accounts. All your creates will be tagged as being made by the same person, and I believe there is only one save game per account so...you're kinda stuck. According to a poster on Evil Avatar, even if you bought another copy of the game you'd still need to install it on a different system!
That is absolutely ridiculous.  I am aghast.  If this was done on purpose, then EA has just hit an all-time low.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 09:00:37 AM »
Yeah, I didn't really chime in on that, but I agree that it's totally ridiculous.  If there was little likelihood of me supporting them before, that possibility is now entirely in the toilet.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:29:54 AM »
All we need is Stardock to publish a (hopefully better) Spore-like clone...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »
So I picked the game up at the Magical Underworld Store, and I think the Gametrailers.com review I watched is pretty spot on.  There's a sense of wonder and joy at every turn, and also a sense of disappointment.  The game is a magical thing, and amazingly well done in many small ways, particularly in relation to the creatures themselves (who definitely take center stage), but there's a huge, huge sense of wasted potential for me, even as early as the first stage, the cell stage.  It's really neat in a lot of ways, fun to play, and gorgeous to look at... but they did virtually nothing with it.  It's so paper-thin it's disgusting, and not because it's terrible, but just because the system they set up could have been built upon almost effortlessly.  They could have made some interesting little mechanical choices and come up with a much deeper, longer little experience, and it would have required practically no major changes to the system that's there.  It's the grandest example of wasted potential I've ever seen, and because of that lasts you maybe 10 minutes.  What a shame!  I haven't explored the next stage much, but I hear all the stages barring the last are very short, and while some are cool, the shortness is unsatisfying because you just don't get to revel in the quirks of that particular stage for long enough.

So I'll maybe post more impressions later, but I think a lot of what's been said about this one is true.

That's the sort of thing I've been hearing. I guess the game is good for this who are more casual and are trying to get into things.
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 30, 2008, 01:53:30 PM by Pugnate »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 09:34:50 PM »
Forbes.com has an article on Spore about how many copies have been pirated online (so far); some reactions from EA and Stardock on this ordeal; etc etc.

As of Thursday afternoon, "Spore" had been illegally downloaded on file-sharing networks using BitTorrent peer-to-peer transfer 171,402 times since Sept. 1, according to Big Champagne, a peer-to-peer research firm. That's hardly a record: a popular game often hits those kinds of six-figure piracy numbers, says Big Champagne Chief Executive Eric Garland.

But not usually so quickly. In just the 24-hour period between Wednesday and Thursday, illegal downloaders snagged more than 35,000 copies, and, as of Thursday evening, that rate of downloads was still accelerating. "The numbers are extraordinary," Garland says. "This is a very high level of torrent activity even for an immensely popular game title."

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 09:52:58 PM »
I think it's especially logical here as EA has not only fucked people over with their account scheme, the DRM is also heavy, and the game itself, while extremely interesting, is far, far, far from a sure thing, and people aren't comfortable spending their money on this thing without knowing what kind of beast it truly is.  I'm sure lots of bullshit will be thrown around about the piracy, but what it comes down to is that this game is a great concept with an execution absolutely nobody is sure about, and they didn't give us a demo of any kind, they gave us a creature creator.  Granted, it was amazing to see it work, but it fundamentally has nothing to do with the game at all in any capacity!  I mean not as a game, not as something mechanical when it comes to what you'll be doing.  It's merely a foundational element, like releasing an amazing character creator for an RPG.  It may be cool, but... so what?  It doesn't really tell you anything of substance at all.  I think there are lots of reasons people are pirating this, and I think they're all completely legitimate.  The only one that isn't legit is if you really love the game and feel it's worth more than the downsides, and pirate it anyway.  Otherwise, regardless of how I feel about piracy fundamentally, I can understand the reasons people are skeptical and unwilling to just hand money over (yet remain too curious to deny themselves the chance to see what it truly is).

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Saturday, September 13, 2008, 10:04:34 PM »
For me, the DRM is the biggest thing keeping me away from buying Spore. Same goes for Mass Effect PC, too.

I don't think it helps that EA announces they plan to expand Spore like they did w/ The Sims, either. I mean, how much keeping up with this is EA gonna make Spore fans go through every 5-6 months for a number of years?

A part of me is also saying, "Maybe with some expansions behind it, the game could live up to its potential." From what I've read, Spore seems to be one of those games that the sum of its many parts add up to something special somehow. Fable TLC PC is one of those games, which has a bunch of really cool ideas in there, even though they ain't fully fleshed-out (depth-wise) to its possible potential -- but all of its small different pieces thrown into one game add up to something entirely unique, when taken in as a whole.