Author Topic: Battlefield 3 -> Update: BF3 Close Quarters DLC = FREE on all platforms for E3  (Read 24752 times)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
Re: Battlefield 3
« Reply #160 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 04:35:25 PM »
I started this up a couple weeks ago for some reason and jumped into SP for a bit. I did not remember the dust on the screen being so annoying. Maybe it's not there in MP? (most of my previous time with the game was in MP)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #161 on: Saturday, September 22, 2012, 10:57:50 PM »
I started this up a couple weeks ago for some reason and jumped into SP for a bit. I did not remember the dust on the screen being so annoying. Maybe it's not there in MP? (most of my previous time with the game was in MP)
Yeah, it's much more reduced in the MP. The "bokeh" light effect on the screen is especially exaggerated in the singleplayer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #162 on: Sunday, September 23, 2012, 06:05:21 AM »
Took me about 8 hours in total to get through the BF3 Single Player Campaign. The combat's great, the graphics are absolutely incredible, and the game technically runs just-fine (over 30 FPS most of the time, according to FRAPS in 1920x1080 w/ most stuff all the way up) on my rig...
...But, the story feels like someone threw the story of COD4: MW and MW2 into the Battlefield games! Did I like it? Yes - it's good, but not great and not innovative at all. It's...missing what makes BF series what it is and always was - expansive, wide-open, free-form sandbox gameplay (in a contained mission, map, & ruleset).

Then, there's the Multiplayer - which is the absolute complete OPPOSITE of the SP. This is where it's at, folks - it's flat-out AWESOME. You probably expected that. The maps are HUGE. The MP itself feels more open, wide, expansive, and feels very free-form in its combat, pretty much. Sure, there's a TON of different game-modes and whatnot - with different rules - and you play within the rules. In Conquest Mode, you can jump in vehicles, jeeps, buggies, F18 hornets, tanks - and just go out and do whatever the objectives are and frag enemies. It's a blast and looks like a full-blown full-scale war. Of course, I've ALWAYS loved the all-out team-based frag-fest in Team Deathmatch - I've always been a fan of Team DM (and normal FFA DM, even though it ain't in BF3), in most MP games. Team DM is a blast on here, as well - especially when the servers are loaded w/ players.

If only the SP was as interesting, open, and expansive with its gameplay like the MP....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #163 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 04:04:24 PM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: EA buys out ESN (BattleLog developer)
« Reply #164 on: Thursday, September 27, 2012, 07:35:15 PM »
...Why?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #165 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 12:01:13 AM »
EA's upcoming shooter Medal of Honor: Warfighter will also support Battlelog.

Oh for fuck's sake, REALLY?? WTF man!! We're gonna get another game with a half-ass developed interface? We don't like Battlefield 3 because of Battlelog, we like it despite Battlelog!!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #166 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 03:18:25 PM »
Seeing all your BattleLog stats, picking servers, etc would be awesome, if this was all done WHILE IN-GAME.
Unfortunately, it's not. :(

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #167 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
I'm all for Battlelog as a service. One that's built into stuff, not having to alt-tab in and out of a game for though.

Why didn't they just make it like Autolog (EA's NFS counterpart)? Autolog is built right into the game, it's not intrusive, and it doesn't break up the in-game experience by making you alt-tab out!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #168 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 04:05:33 PM »
I'm all for Battlelog as a service. One that's built into stuff, not having to alt-tab in and out of a game for though.

Why didn't they just make it like Autolog (EA's NFS counterpart)? Autolog is built right into the game, it's not intrusive, and it doesn't break up the in-game experience by making you alt-tab out!
I agree w/ all of this 100%.

Who the hell knows what EA was thinking - BUT this is NOT a browser-based game!
This should all be built into the game - like you said, just like AutoLog within recent NFS titles.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #169 on: Friday, September 28, 2012, 07:39:49 PM »
We don't like Battlefield 3 because of Battlelog, we like it despite Battlelog!!

Yeah, exactly. And you can lump Battlelog in with all of the glaring omissions or bullshit that screams cross-platform (like lack of voip or waiting 1-2 months in between patches). It's the best casual fps on the market, and I put up with all of the crap because of it, but it would have been an incredible game without cross-platforming.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #170 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
PC Gamer -> PC Mod released adds more color to the game; DICE warns using it can cause a perma-ban.

Tinkering Battlefield 3 soldiers released a mod today allowing tweaks to the displayed color levels, with the most dramatic result involving the suffusion of the pervasive blue-tinged gradient into supposedly more natural colors. The sample photo album and comparison video definitely show a stark difference between stock and modified visuals, but when asked for his input on the mod, Battlefield 3 gameplay designer Gustav Halling said it was “too colorful” and warned of possible permanent bans for users.

“[It's] too colorful,” Halling tweeted. “Also, I wouldn’t use those hacks if you don’t want a permanent ban on your account. FYI warning.”

A few posters on a reddit thread discussing the mod claim they’ve already met bans for using the program. Although the notion of DICE hefting its ban-hammer over Battlefield 3 becoming too colorful seems absurd on the surface, the company is clearly adamant about protecting the competitive standards set in the unmodified game, where filters and gradients could potentially figure into each map’s overall balance.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: PC mod adds more color; DICE warns it can cause a ban
« Reply #171 on: Wednesday, October 03, 2012, 09:42:18 PM »
Apparently the reason for banning players who use the mod is because it has options to tweak weapons etc.

I don't think they take explicit issue with colour preference. I can just as well adjust the colours on my monitor.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: PC mod adds more color; DICE warns it can cause a ban
« Reply #172 on: Thursday, November 22, 2012, 10:03:08 PM »
I just got the game [PC] so if anyone wants to play let me know. My game tag is coolman0stress.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #173 on: Monday, December 31, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
EGNNow -> BattleLog = HACKED.

A hacked poll appeared on Battlelog over the weekend asking players about the Battlefield 4 beta in an attempt to steal usernames and passwords.

One on the options on the poll pointed to a website which was acting as a sign up page for the beta. DICE has since responded to the poll claiming that no data was compromised and logins are safe.

“No, logins are safe, there should be an announcement soon with more details. Edit: As a side note, it’s never a bad idea to update/change passwords regularly, but as of right now there is no cause for alarm,” the developer wrote on Reddit. “No, no data was compromised, this was simply an account being compromised.”

So no data was stolen, however it’s probably a good idea to keep rotating your password just to be safe.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
Re: Battlefield 3 -> Update: BattleLog = HACKED
« Reply #174 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »
I have to say that I really like Battlelog. It doesn't take me out of the experience at all like some of you mentioned. I like being able to continue doing something else while the game loads the map in the background. Having online access to the stats, loadout configuration and even server browser is kind of nice and I'd rather have a website to deal with than some convoluted custom interface inside the game.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #175 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 09:16:19 PM »
I have to say that I really like Battlelog. It doesn't take me out of the experience at all like some of you mentioned. I like being able to continue doing something else while the game loads the map in the background. Having online access to the stats, loadout configuration and even server browser is kind of nice and I'd rather have a website to deal with than some convoluted custom interface inside the game.
Ok, where is the Hell is the loadout configuration?! I have been playing BF3 since release and I am only able to view/modify my loadouts from within the game and only after I enter a match. Even the game settings can only be accessed after entering a match game or at least loading the singleplayer first, which you also have to do through frickin' Battlelog. This is all aside from the fact that you also have to manage your party and group chat through Battlelog, outside the game, forcing you to alt-tab etc. Also, I have no idea if I get any messages from friends or in the group chat until I alt-tab out or quit the game.

By contrast, in Medal of Honor Warfighter they gave us the choice! When you first open it you're given a choice to launch the game directly or launch through Battlelog. Naturally, I launch the game directly and guess what? All Battlelog features are built right into the game interface! It's hassle-free! A friend sends me an invitation to join his game? I get a notification! I'm already in a match and a friend logs on, I can see that and send him an invitation! Easy! When Battlelog is built into the game's interface I don't have to divine information or keep interrupting my game experience by alt-tabbing in and out. I don't need to have a browser window open at all!

Implementation is the key to Battlelog. How well or poorly an interface is designed is a whole other question.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #176 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 09:36:39 PM »
Click on the buttons under the progress bar under your character name at the top.Here's your loadout.

I think there's a sound when someone messages you and you can use a short cut to view it in game, can't remember what it is though since I never use the game chat system.

Again, I don't see the problem of having to alt-tab maybe because I'm used to doing it in SC2 where I let the game run in the background while I wait for friends to come online or for a match to start. Oh and Quake Live. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #177 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 10:49:10 PM »
Click on the buttons under the progress bar under your character name at the top.Here's your loadout.

I think there's a sound when someone messages you and you can use a short cut to view it in game, can't remember what it is though since I never use the game chat system.

Again, I don't see the problem of having to alt-tab maybe because I'm used to doing it in SC2 where I let the game run in the background while I wait for friends to come online or for a match to start. Oh and Quake Live. :)
Hot damn, I'll have to check that out when I get home (Battlelog is blocked at the office).

One way I've tried to workaround alt-tabbing is with a mutli-monitor setup (which kinda seems like overkill). Of course, this only works to view Battlelog on the other monitor, if I want to use it I still have to alt-tab out of the game. I'm spoiled, I refuse to accept alt-tabbing as standard part of my gaming experience! When I'm in, I'm in for the allotted amount of time of my gaming, haha! ;D

I think I'm also biased against browser-based gaming.. I try but I never enjoy Facebook games or browser-based stuff.. It feels like mobile casual gaming, I can't take it seriously enough to enjoy thoroughly (pardon the irony). Same reason why I didn't last very long playing Battlefield Play4Free and Battlefield Heroes.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #178 on: Monday, January 07, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »
. . .

I think I'm also biased against browser-based gaming.. I try but I never enjoy Facebook games or browser-based stuff.. It feels like mobile casual gaming, I can't take it seriously enough to enjoy thoroughly (pardon the irony).
 . . .

My feelings exactly.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #179 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 01:45:09 AM »
I think I'm also biased against browser-based gaming.. I try but I never enjoy Facebook games or browser-based stuff.. It feels like mobile casual gaming, I can't take it seriously enough to enjoy thoroughly (pardon the irony). Same reason why I didn't last very long playing Battlefield Play4Free and Battlefield Heroes.

http://twinbeardstudios.com/frog-fractions
You have to stay with it long enough to see it change. You'll know what I mean when it does.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #180 on: Tuesday, January 08, 2013, 06:39:18 AM »
http://twinbeardstudios.com/frog-fractions
You have to stay with it long enough to see it change. You'll know what I mean when it does.
Holy transformation! haha Just when I thought it was getting repetitive it changes things up! hehe Nice find, W7Re ;)

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #181 on: Wednesday, January 09, 2013, 05:38:24 AM »
Holy transformation! haha Just when I thought it was getting repetitive it changes things up! hehe Nice find, W7Re ;)

Giant Bomb was talking about whether or not it should be on their top 10 best games of the year list. They instead ended up making up a new category for it, called "the URL of the year".

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #182 on: Sunday, February 24, 2013, 04:41:13 PM »
Gamersgate had a sale on Premium for $20 so I got it. I played a fair amount yesterday and had a lot of fun. The more deathmatchy centered multiplayer of Modern Warfare maybe the best in its class, but nothing does the wider scale stuff better than Battlefield. Plus one of their expansions has a focus on smaller maps and infantry fighting for those that want that sort of thing and its still really good too. The destruction on those maps is pretty amazing. Anyway, my Origin ID is PyroMenace so feel free to add me though I think I've already gotten everybody on here that's playing.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #183 on: Monday, June 10, 2013, 04:50:59 PM »
BF3: Close Quarters DLC = FREE on all platforms during E3 for BF3 owners.
On consoles - look for in-game message; follow instructions
On PC - get on Origin; get into the Redeem Code section; put in code "BF3E3".