Author Topic: Battlefield 3 -> Update: BF3 Close Quarters DLC = FREE on all platforms for E3  (Read 24771 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Battlefield 3 - PC version not coming to Steam, at least for now...
« Reply #40 on: Monday, August 08, 2011, 11:51:53 AM »
We have yet to see if EA is even interested in turning Origin into a generic store. They might just keep it as their own private distributor, kinda like Blizzard and Battlenet.

Besides, I'm sure its bad enough all these publishers are giving a cut of sales to Valve. Convincing them to give a cut to EA? I wouldn't want to be the one giving that sales pitch.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #41 on: Monday, August 08, 2011, 02:35:42 PM »
The other services may get caught in the crossfire, unfortunately.
That is NOT what I want to see.
I don't want to lose D2D, Gamersgate, GreenMan, Amazon DL, or any of the others.
The more competitors on the Digital download market, the more they want to compete w/ each other for price-cut wars.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #42 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 02:38:51 PM »
ALL copies of BF3 for the PC will REQUIRE that Origin service.

Battlefield 3 Will Require Origin

[Aug 11, 2011, 3:44 pm ET] - Share - Viewing Comments
It seems yes is the answer to the question of whether Battlefield 3 will require the use of EA's new Origin service, even for users who purchase a physical copy of DICE's upcoming military shooter sequel. A question on Twitter directed at Global Battlefield Community Manager Daniel Matros asked "If we get the DVD version of BF3 do we still have to use Origin?" This was followed by another attempt, asking: "What about the rumors spreading on the forums that we need origin to play BF3 if we have the DVD?" These inspired the following reply: "Yes those 'rumors' are true :)." Thanks Teddy via BF3Blog.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: Battlefield 3 - PC version will REQUIRE that Origin service
« Reply #43 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 02:53:03 PM »
Ouch.. In that acse I hope they sync up all battlefield info with the origin service, like the friends list etc. I hate having like 8 different friend lists!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #44 on: Thursday, August 11, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
Guess we know why Valve was against it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 01:04:42 AM »
Wasn't Mass Effect 2 and BF2 Also run through some EA service (Origin before it was called that)?  I seem to remember having to sign up to an EA account in order to play both (even through STEAM). 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #46 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 02:13:47 AM »
Origin was the EA Download Manager (EADM) but it was entirely optional.

For Mass Effect 2 you needed a Bioware account (for any Bioware game really) which eventually merged with EA, making it an EA account (which now also you Bioware Social account). It's the same account I use to log into any EA game now: Battlefield Bad Company 2, Dead Space 2, Burnout Paradise etc.

Point is, nothing exclusively needed EADM. I'm not sure about The Sims 3 though, that may have needed something set up for its DLC.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #47 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 03:07:09 PM »
Point is, nothing exclusively needed EADM. I'm not sure about The Sims 3 though, that may have needed something set up for its DLC.
Expansions are kinda odd-working normally on Origin.

I own Sims 3: Late Night expansion from D2D.

YOU CANNOT register Sims 3 expansions into Origin.
If you try to register Sims 3 expansions into Origin, Origin will tell you to register your Sims 3 expansions onto the Sims 3 website.

Sims 3 original game can be registered onto Origin, though.
I bought Sims 3 original game from Retail - yeah, it showed right-up on Origin right after installing the game.
« Last Edit: Friday, August 12, 2011, 03:27:15 PM by MysterD »

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #48 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 06:08:32 PM »
Don't care about BF3' but I'm sure ME3 will require Origin.  Shit!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #49 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 07:16:18 PM »

Yeah. This is my thought too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #50 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 08:11:05 PM »
And probably Dragon Age 3, too.

If Origin has a "offline mode" for doing SP stuff like Steam does [as long as it works], then I won't be too worried...

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #51 on: Friday, August 12, 2011, 09:43:25 PM »
Doesn't matter. Dragon Age is already dead.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, August 13, 2011, 01:03:21 AM »
Doesn't matter. Dragon Age is already dead.
The Age of Dragons has gone! Let us begin a new age of prosperity: the Newt Age!

Like Steam, Origin has an offline mode. Unlike Steam, Origin's offline mode logs in successfully every time.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #54 on: Saturday, August 13, 2011, 10:02:50 AM »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Saturday, August 13, 2011, 03:07:50 PM »
That's not gonna affect me much, I only ever have the one profile. I just don't like the principle of being restricted :P

Same here.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #56 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 12:22:11 PM »
Gabe Newell weighs in...sorta.
Newell suggested the struggle with EA is complicated, but nevertheless reconcilable.

"I don’t think Valve can pick just one thing and think the issue would go away if we fixed that," he said.

"We have to show EA it’s a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we’re going to try to show them that," he said.

---

"Companies have to earn the right to install content on their customers' PCs on a regular basis," he began.

"The same thing is true of Steam. We have to prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether it’s to EA or Ubisoft or whoever.

"We really want to show there’s a lot of value having EA titles on Steam. We want EA’s games on Steam and we have to show them that’s a smart thing to do," he said.

"I think at the end of the day we’re going to prove to Electronic Arts they have happier customers, a higher quality service, and will make more money if they have their titles on Steam. It’s our duty to demonstrate that to them. We don’t have a natural right to publish their games."
Reading between the lines, it doesn't sound like Steam is going to change, just that it would be better for EA to give in to have their game on Steam. But maybe I'm just cynical.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 12:59:27 PM »
Pre-order Battlefield 3 on Origin, get a free game

A friend who had already pre-ordered the game was pleasantly surprised to receive the following e-mail, which he forwarded:

As a special thank you for pre-ordering Battlefield 3 early at Origin, we're offering you a bonus PC digital download game. Please apply the code below at the shopping cart to redeem one PC Digital version of one of our recommended shooter titles: Mass Effect 2, Dead Space 2 or Medal of Honor. The price will be reduced to $0 after applying the code at your shopping cart. Hurry—this offer is only good for the month of August, and is exclusive to Origin customers only. See below for more details.

Interesting offer from EA but clearly aimed at prioritizing Origin as a primary store. Anyway, it doesn't benefit me any since 1) I already have ME2 and DS2, so that limits my choice to MoH, and 2)Battlefield 3 costs 50 Euros ($72 USD). I would actually save $2 by pre-ordering BF3 for $50 from anywhere else and buying Medal of Honor at full price for $20 (current market price). So EA fails yet again at pushing Origin on me. I will not be convinced of Origin until they resolve these asinine regional issues.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Yeah the region stuff sucks. But that kind of thing sucks at all these DD sites. Because pushing bits over an ocean is more expensive.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
Yeah the region stuff sucks. But that kind of thing sucks at all these DD sites. Because pushing bits over an ocean is more expensive.
Soon, it will be.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 01:57:49 PM »
We're going to look back and tell our grandchildren how cool the internet used to be, arent we?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 02:13:35 PM »
This is why I pay a relatively high internet bill, so I don''t have to worry or pay for all the background noise.

That market certainly has been a brutal one for providers, with costs for transit falling by an average of 30 percent a year. Sadly, when it comes to home Internet pricing, transit price drops don't often translate into lower monthly bills.

I'm already getting screwed but silently taking it with the hope that things won't get worse.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »
We're going to look back and tell our grandchildren that the Internet existed—along with cellular networks and things like cars and running water—from the smoking craters we live in after the robots take over.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, August 17, 2011, 11:28:56 PM »
No, we are going to tell our grandchildren how back in the day we had arms and legs made out of flesh, INSTEAD OF AWESOME CYBORG ARMS THAT CAN TRANSFORM INTO CANNONS.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #64 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 02:26:09 AM »
I don't know what you guys will be up to but I'll be narrating my grandchild's story after the calamity!

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 07:05:42 AM »
I'll be a skeleton in the wasteland looking up at the yellow sky.

Hope the kid is good to you, X.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #66 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 03:37:28 PM »
Gabe Newell wants EA back on Steam.

Disappointed that EA's Battlefield 3 won't be sold on Steam? So, it turns out, is Valve's Gabe Newell. He takes a surprisingly responsible stance on the "complicated" issue of EA's absence from his digital distribution service, telling Develop that "we have to show EA it's a smart decision to have EA games on Steam, and we're going to try to show them that."

Newell says there isn't just one thing Valve can to do convince EA that Steam is a good place to sell its games -- instead, it has to "prove we are creating value on an ongoing basis, whether it's to EA or Ubisoft or whoever." Steam has a whole host of good reasons for EA to use it, says Newell, including "happier customers, a higher quality service, and [EA] will make more money if they have their titles on Steam. It's our duty to demonstrate that to them. We don't have a natural right to publish their games."

Newell didn't go into further detail about just how Steam would convince EA to come back, but we hear homemade cupcakes are always a nice option.

Plus, I'm sure Gabe wants a nice cut of any possible BF3 Steam sales, as well...which I'm sure would be hella-huge. ;)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #67 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 04:34:47 PM »
Do you even read the forum anymore?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #68 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 05:00:37 PM »
Do you even read the forum anymore?

[Looking for this news posted here elsewhere]
Am I going blind?
Did someone post Gabe's comments already?

EDIT:
Oh, nevermind...Reply 56.
I am losing it, I guess.
[smh]

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #69 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 08:00:07 PM »
Haha, it happens, man.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #70 on: Thursday, August 18, 2011, 08:01:33 PM »
Electronic Arts' new COO Peter Moore

GS: Is there any update on the negotiations with Valve to get games like Battlefield 3 on Steam?

PM: It's pretty simple, and I think we've said it pretty consistently over the last few weeks. If we're allowed to deal with our consumers directly, being able to transact directly with our consumers, fix issues directly with consumers, then we'll be happy to sit down with our good friends at Valve and resolve some of those differences. But if their terms and conditions and policies don't change, then we'll focus on the other hundred download retailers we see in the marketplace and our own platform of course, Origin. It's important for us to have a direct conversation with our consumers, particularly on the PC platform, which is an open platform and should be kept that way.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 04:31:28 AM »
. . . But if their terms and conditions and policies don't change, then we'll focus on the other hundred download retailers we see in the marketplace and our own platform of course, Origin. It's important for us to have a direct conversation with our consumers, particularly on the PC platform, which is an open platform and should be kept that way.

Hear, hear!  Last time I felt like cheering for EA, Reagan was president. 

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #72 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 06:16:40 AM »
I dont know who to cheer for since I don't know who is trying to push on who with what. What are these policies that Steam is enforcing that would make EA care so much? Why isn't anybody else pulling their games because of it? It's just this big stare down and nobody has a fucking clue as to why.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #73 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 06:32:01 AM »
I'd say it's 99% because EA wants to push this shiny new system they've invested in.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #74 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 07:19:02 AM »
What are these policies that Steam is enforcing that would make EA care so much?

Valve instituted a self-serving draconian policy.  If Steam carries your game, you are not allowed to service it directly in any way.  No DLC, no expansions, no patches, no nothing.  You must do everything through Steam.  EA said nuts to that.

Why isn't anybody else pulling their games because of it?

Because only big players like EA can go toe-to-toe with Valve, making EA the unlikely champion for preventing a huge power-grabbing outfit from dominating and controlling everything.  (Takes one to beat one.)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #75 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
Wow.. EA standing up for PC rights is unexpected, though I have no doubt they have their agenda. EA is an antihero.

Either way, any company, no matter how noble its origins, cannot have too much power and control over the market. I like Valve in general but even I would oppose handing them the keys to my consumer-base. I feel like a hypocrite saying that since I have a large library on Steam now, to which my access is effectively controlled by Valve.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #76 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
I'd say it's 99% because EA wants to push this shiny new system they've invested in.

Exactly. Why do we have to take sides in this bull crap. In the end either company would abandon their fanbase in a heartbeat if it meant a higher profit margin elsewhere.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 02:50:12 PM »
Both Valve and EA are trying to push their own agendas here.

Valve wants complete games and up-to-date games sold on their Steam services. Makes sense to me, to make sure their customers can get every piece of a game that is wanted - VERY FAIR.
Valve probably ALSO wants all the DLC also sold also through Steam b/c they'll get a cut of any Steam-sold DLC.

EA wants all the patching done through Origin. FAIR. It's their product, they should update it as they see fit, when they see fit.
EA wants to sell DLC exclusively through Origin - PROBLEM is for consumer, who can only go through Origin or game's in-game store. Bleh. That doesn't allow for competitive DLC prices.

BIG Problem -> Most games have two versions: Steam and Non-Steam b/c Steam-sold versions require their program running in the background.
Damn DRM is always a problem of some kind.
EA probably doesn't want to dedicate more resources [testers, money, etc] to bug-testing TWO different PC versions of the same exact game.
You don't see D2D or Gamersgate forcing EA to use their own service to run in background to run a game, do you?
There have been many instances where Steam version of a game has their own specific issues b/c it has that additional Steam program running in the background.

My Solution -> Steam-sold 3rd party games that just should NOT require Steam program running in the background.
Make Steam program forced for activation ONLY.
Any other time - running Steam should be optional.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #78 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 03:30:24 PM »
BIG Problem -> Most games have two versions: Steam and Non-Steam b/c Steam-sold versions require their program running in the background.
Damn DRM is always a problem of some kind.
EA probably doesn't want to dedicate more resources [testers, money, etc] to bug-testing TWO different PC versions of the same exact game.
This is something I've been thinking. It isn't as simple as "Here are the files Valve, please sell them for us!" At this point EA would have to rip out the Origin tie ins and code in support for the Steam infrastructure. And out of all the DD stores only Valve is requiring this. What does EA get for this trouble? Less money from the DLC sold through Steam. Talk about lose-lose. Valve is asking for a lot and not really giving EA anything special in return, at least nothing they aren't already prepared to handle themselves. A few diehard fanboys won't buy BF3 over this, the majority won't care. From a long-haul business perspective that "loss" will be worth getting out from under Valves thumb.

And like Cobra said, its EA because they are big enough to put up the fight and have big enough games that people won't want to miss over something as silly as "my most favoritest store doesn't sell it."

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #79 on: Friday, August 19, 2011, 04:33:39 PM »
Hmm, I wonder why these issues never arose Microsoft's Games For Windows Live implementations even though there's a GFWL store that also provides DLC for GFWL titles.