Author Topic: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Thread  (Read 17902 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Thread
« on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 03:45:59 PM »
GameSpot has released their Game Guide for download on Dark Messiah of M & M, 12 MB file:
http://www.gamespot.com/features/6160412/index.html?tag=topslot;action;1

Funny, no review up yet for it. Probably will be up soon, I bet.....

« Last Edit: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 11:11:03 AM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic -- Game Guide released by GameSpot
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 07:56:42 PM »
Seems there have been a lot of problems with the release. For example, if you buy a copy in the store, go to install it, and choose to install the multiplayer portion of the game...Steam goes ahead and downloads EVERYTHING, including the singleplayer stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 09:02:14 PM »
Gee, something with Steam not working correctly?  You MUST be joking!  That's IMPOSSIBLE!

:-\

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, October 25, 2006, 10:28:57 PM »
Wait, if you buy the game retail it comes with STEAM?? That's bullcrap man! Why the Hell do I have to bear with Steam just for Dark messiah?? Only Valve games should be Steam exclusive!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Last Edit: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 07:14:03 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 05:57:10 AM »
Seems there have been a lot of problems with the release. For example, if you buy a copy in the store, go to install it, and choose to install the multiplayer portion of the game...Steam goes ahead and downloads EVERYTHING, including the singleplayer stuff.

Ummm....what the hell....?!?!!?!?

I was just checking their Steam Forums/Boards. WTF is up w/ that, Idol???

From what I read, you are given a choice:
1.Play ONLY THE SP, w/out STEAM
2.Play SP & MP, you have to do the whole STEAM thing.

I think you should be able to have another option: to install the SP w/out STEAM and the MP w/ STEAM.

Seems like they really want you to go the STEAM route, myself.....

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic Thread
« Reply #7 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 11:12:30 AM »
« Last Edit: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 11:37:25 AM by MysterD »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 26, 2006, 11:05:02 PM »
GSpot don't dig it.  I don't know what to think.  I honestly don't really care about it that much, so this sorta' doesn't matter to me either way... but I liked what Arkane did with Arx Fatalis, so this makes me sad.  Then again, reader opinion seems higher, and most other publications seem higher.  Go figure.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 12:24:09 AM »
GSpot don't dig it.  I don't know what to think.  I honestly don't really care about it that much, so this sorta' doesn't matter to me either way... but I liked what Arkane did with Arx Fatalis, so this makes me sad.  Then again, reader opinion seems higher, and most other publications seem higher.  Go figure.
I love how on the side "We say 6.7" and right below it 355 votes "You say 9.1" :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 06:07:40 AM »

I'm shocked w/ GameSpot's review. They seem to be the only ones that don't dig it. Ummm......wow....I was expecting scores from them in the 7's and 8's, not 6's.

And I was quite impressed w/ Arx. But, man -- the technical issues that G-Spot mentioned sound to be a bummer for Dark Messiah. :(

When I played the demo, I thought the combat itself and its controls were impressive....

Yet, across the board, it seems to be getting good reviews, elsewhere....

GameSpy offered up their impressions, in which they seem to sound disappointed w/ the SP components but they do like the MP component -- but they find they hardware too demanding for this game, like GameSpot did...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #11 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 10:06:23 AM »
I found it at Futureshop for $40 Canadian! They have a special $10 off for some reason. I thought about buying it, but then I realized that I'm saving for Splinter Cell DA and NWN2. Thinking of the bugs and stuff just made less attractive at the time.. I was so tempted though!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 11:29:12 AM »
I love how on the side "We say 6.7" and right below it 355 votes "You say 9.1" :P
If the IGN boards are any indication, people would buy and love any POS game as long as it used the Source engine and Steam. Seriously.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #13 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 11:48:09 AM »
Damn, I was actually kinda lookin forward to this game.  It looks pretty damn cool.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 07:54:16 PM »
If the IGN boards are any indication, people would buy and love any POS game as long as it used the Source engine and Steam. Seriously.

It does seem that way, sadly.  I still wonder about this, though, because I really did think that Arkane was going to take off with this game.  So I'll reserve judgment and say that you are quite right, and I hope that isn't the case with this game in particular.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Friday, October 27, 2006, 08:23:29 PM »
IGNs official review is similar to Gamespots with a slightly higher score. Seems the biggest issues are the SP being rather linear and will get old before you finish, the multiplayer they think is the best part despite some class imbalance, and hey look! Bugs!

I suppose some updates will smooth the game out a bit. Fix the crashes, balance the classes...though that sounds rather disappointing for the singleplayer.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 06:40:08 PM »
3 stars from Gamespy (out of 5)

Quote from: GameSpy
The biggest inherent problem with Dark Messiah's multiplayer is that all the cool Source physics elements have been gutted from it. You can't kick enemies off of cliffs or crush their skulls with rocks. You'll take to the air like a sack of potatoes when you get blasted by an enemy's fireball, yes, but only after you're dead. It's sad that the element that the single-player most meaningfully hinges on couldn't be exploited for the multiplayer.
Sucky.

At this writing, however, Dark Messiah's multiplayer faces a much more serious problem -- balance issues. Depending on whom you ask, priestesses are indestructible, assassins are over-reliant on poison bombs, mages render archers obsolete, and ranged classes render warriors completely impotent. Regardless of who you think is right, it's hard to deny that there sure are a lot of priestesses out there on the battlefield.
That's not good....

On a more concrete level, many players are reporting all manner of gameplay bugs and performance issues with the game. These include freezes, crashes and memory leaks plus less serious but still annoying stutters and frame rate drops -- two issues that we experienced first-hand during our play time. Ubisoft has acknowledged an issue with Nvidia Series 6 cards, though the currently offered solution (to revert to old drivers) is hardly advisable. If you're unsure as to whether you'll encounter problems with your system, the best advice is to wait until Ubisoft issues a patch (currently under development).
I own a GF 6 series card. Skip reverting back to older drivers. No thank you. This is rediculous -- and I definitely will be waiting for patches to come out -- and a very nice price drop -- before I pick up what sounds like "Beta in a box."

"Beta in a box" is what happened also w/ Arx, from what I have read in reviews and heard -- crashes and lag in framerate upon release and whatnot. So, deja vu here, eh??? Hopefully, those Dark Messiah issues will get resolved soon.

Glad I waited on Arx. That game's a good one, w/ all the patches behind it. I wonder if the same will be said w/ Dark Messiah.

It's easy to be disappointed with Dark Messiah, given that it had so much potential. There is absolutely some compelling content in here, though you'll frequently have to exhibit a good deal of patience if you want to enjoy it. As for the multiplayer, well, it's anyone's guess what till happen once fans get their hands on the SDK. Right now, though, Dark Messiah's multiplayer is little more that a novelty. Still, it's hard to deny that the game has some immensely enjoyable moments. It's just too bad that they're too often surrounded by so much clutter.
That's a shame.

B/c just like what Que said w/ Arx and given what I played in that Dark Messiah demo, it seemed like Dark Messiah could've been great.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, October 28, 2006, 11:10:57 PM »
I'll wait until more info on the patch is available. Still I don't imagine it's as bad as Gothic 3's dire need for patching.

I remember I was having a video problem with some games last year, and it turned out that the problem was only with certain ATi cards. The Tech supports' response was "revert to the older drivers." To which everyone responded quite negatively.

Similarly, ATi fooked up the OpenGL drivers in their Catalyst release (v4.12), which made all Quake 2 engine games stutter and lose a lot of frames. Catalyst 4.11 had perfect OpenGL drivers, so I sued to just overwrite the 4.11 OGL drivers no problem, until ATi made the Catalyst 6 series, where it became impossible to use the old 4.11 OGL drivers, so I submitted the error to ATi Tech Support, and they told me if I'm not happy I should just revert to Catalyst 4.11! That's not just a single driver build back, that's approximately 14 releases back! I bitched at them a little, explaining that I like and need other fixes available in the Catalyst 6 series, but the OpenGL needs to be fixed too. They just said "Thank you for your suggestion... etc." I don't if it's been resolved yet, I haven't played any Quake 2 engine games since. Hmm, I should install Q2 and check anyway.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, October 29, 2006, 06:46:55 AM »
I hope Q2 works on it....that would be sweet. :)

Fortunately, Q2 does work on my current NVidia set-up -- newest drivers and a GeForce 6600 GT.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #19 on: Monday, October 30, 2006, 03:46:58 PM »
Good news (for me and other ATi users), Quake 2 engine games are running fine again! The OpenGL problem is gone :P

Anyway, back to the main topic:
I just tried out DM on a display PC in Futureshop! I have played the demo, and I was impressed with it, but the full game blew me away!
I got to play a bit of the first chapter (after the prologue which was the tutorial), and I got a hang of the game's mechanics. Visually the game is top notch! Not just with the raw graphics, but the special effects, camera angles, and interaction are very well done; they do a excellent job of immersing you in it.

To top it off there's a super sexy genie/spirit who your master summons to guide you!

I came across a few bugs, but nothing serious. Overall I'm impressed with the game, though to be fair I'm only at the very beginning, and I have yet to experience the gameplay "flaws" described by Gamespot. I'm considering buying the game, but I have a tight budget that's reserved for SC Double Agent and NWN2.

EDIT:
I forgot to mention that the physics are awesome. They're an integral part of the gameplay, and quite fun!
« Last Edit: Monday, October 30, 2006, 10:38:12 PM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 02:52:02 PM »
4.0 from 1Up (out of 10)....ouch....

The visceral thrill of this clang and slash is pretty much the only thing that keeps Dark Messiah moving forward.
The combat in the demo was awesome, to say the least.

Because it's certainly not the leveling, and it sure as hell isn't the storyline, in which you're lead by the nose through a rigidly linear world that quite literally is about going there and back again.
Damn.....

Is there even a handful of side quests here???

It even reuses every boss creature at least twice. Remember that dragon you killed? Well, you didn't.
Ouch.

The demon who loved me
There's a slutty demon chick in your head (and eventually elsewhere, too) who reminds you things like, "Use the rope bow" if you get stuck and occasionally offers droll single entendres. This Cortona wannabe is a foil to the girl-next-door mage chick you'll have to rescue a few times. You can easily guess where the ham-handed love triangle is going, and the Dark Secret (TM) is pretty obvious early on.
It sounds disappointing that the story is weak. I did like the story that Arx Fatalis, Arkane's other game, had going on.

I'm sure down the line, when DM: Might & Magic gets cheaper, I'll be looking for it.

The visuals are as uninspired as the story. The Source engine has never looked worse than it does in these dimly lit, rotely drawn dungeons infested with technical glitches like stuttering sound and disappearing polygons.
I dunno', but the demo did look, graphically, good -- I thought so.

But, the technical issues aren't good, though....maybe a patch can fix those nasty issues.....

At least the multiplayer is an attempt at something different (i.e., something that hasn't been done in the series since 2001's Legends of Might and Magic). You'll have to install Valve's Steam and you'll have to power through some absurdly long loading times. No, your system hasn't crashed.
Damn Steam...always causing issues....

Why can't I do a LAN connection or connect to other people's PC's to play MP? Why does it have to be forces over STEAM?!?!?!?

But once you get past these hurdles, you're in a refreshing fantasy take on Unreal Tournament's assault mode. The multiplayer goes back and forth over the course of several maps, which increasingly favor the losing team. The whole time, you're earning experience for new abilities, which change up the gameplay. Immediately after Dark Messiah's release, there was a lot of fumbling around, with most players inclined to play warriors wildly swinging their swords. But there's lots of tactical potential here that should appease anyone interested in getting more than a few kicks from Dark Messiah of Might and Magic.
I do want to try the MP, though -- despite it REQUIRING Steam....

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, October 31, 2006, 08:58:06 PM »
I don't really agree with all their gripes about the single player. Based on the demo and what I've played from the full game, the graphics are great (arguably better than Half-Life 2, and worlds ahead of VTM: Bloodlines). 1UP's complaints about "lighting" are completely unfounded. The scenery and environment in DM is very well thought-out, and when it's dark in an area it's for a very good reason, and it all enhances the atmosphere.

I don't see a problem with linear games. I like linear games as well as non-linear. It's matter of taste and appropriation. Some of the greatest games in gaming history are strictly linear! There's nothing wrong with linear story lines, and sometimes it's the best option. I think this whole obsession with non-linear gameplay is just a fad. 'Linear' vs 'non-linear' arguments would be like 'red' vs 'blue', it's not good or bad, it's about what looks better on the particular canvas.

From what I played of DM, I didn't get a chance to get a grasp on the story, so I don't know if it's good or lame. Though from the short amount that I have played I witnessed a few bugs and errors here and there. The stuttering can be frustrating, and I was confused if the game had frozen or if it was going to continue. There was a time when the HUD textures just all went corrupt and magenta, I just quicksaved then quickloaded and all was well. The game play was quite addictive, and the only reason I stopped playing it in the store was because it crashed :P All the bugs are simple enough for a patch to fix. There don't seem to be any major issues within the game mechanics.

I like it, and despite the bugs the game looks good and plays well.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, November 01, 2006, 04:16:22 PM »
I just played the demo (thanks, sy). Its interesting, but it runs like a dog on my system, even with everything on low. It just goes into slow-mo mode. The funny part is it isn't  lack of RAM or anything like that...theres no HDD activity like the game is trying to load new things in. I think the game isn't doing any cleanup on physics objects. I think its calculating them all the time for the entire level. My frames hit the lowest once I get to that area with all the barrels/boxes and kill several orcs (add ragdolls of bodies plus their dropped weapons and shields).

It might be fun if it ran better. I at least wont be buying it until I get a new system and the price has dropped on it.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #23 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 10:47:02 AM »
Well, temptation and curiosity got the better of me. I downloaded the ripped version of DM (it's basically the single-player files from the Steam installation). It runs very nicely. I got it because I had to see for myself the issues everyone was complaining about, and the gripes with the 'linear' gameplay.

After playing through the game several times, and seeing 4 endings (similar but with subtle differences), I've come to the conclusion that it is a great game. It is fairly linear, but there are a few moments where you can create a turning point. The locations will be the same no matter what choices you make, but how they fan out may differ. Your choices can make an ally who may aid you in a coming battle, or an enemy that will obstruct your path. So it's not as strictly "linear."

This is the first game in which I was more tempted to be "dark" despite my classic tendency to be "the pure of heart" hero. Basically there are 3 paths: be with the "good" girl, be with the "demon" girl, or be alone. Each path is relatively obvious, though there are some interesting revelations along the way. The 3 paths can also be considered as for the greater good, for the greater evil, or for yourself. Normally I'd be the "I shall do it for the greater Good" sort, but in this game, I was way more emotionally agreeable with completing tasks for myself! Call it sinful, but damn it, it made more sense! The "evil" was purely evil, and had no interest in keeping me around, and the "good" were stuck-up, self-righteous bastards! So screw 'em both!

The gameplay was very enjoyable! As usual I played it in a very stealthy fashion, so making good use of the traps laid out about the environment was truly satisfying! Whether it's cutting rope which releases a swinging slab, breaking a weak support pole, or simply shoving an enemy on a trap-platform to activate a deadly trap, it was all good fun! The rope-bow is a really handy tool, giving you a greater command over the places you can reach. This is one game where paying attention to your environment will reward you handsomely!

Obviously, the bugs are a drawback. Some can seriously deteriorate the gameplay, especially when it stalls and stutters rendering it unplayable! Fortunately that was a rare occurrence, but it should be addressed! The other tedious bug is the HUD corruption. Sometimes (usually during the stuttering) the HUD will just appear corrupted with a lot of magenta overlaying the slots (probably where the transparencies are supposed to be). Luckily, this can be easily alleviated by quicksaving and quickloading. Another slight issue is the lighting. In some areas you enter you'll notice the lighting/shading flickering as you move or look around. One more irritating bug has to do with clipping; sometimes while I'm attacking an enemy and I back him up to a wall, he'll just suddenly fall through the corner of the wall and floor, and I can still hear him for a little while before he suddenly disappears. That's as far as I've noticed in graphical bugs. The A.I. is decent, but I've noticed that sometimes when you press 'use' on an ally to tell him/her to stop, they'll stay in place (as expected) but you'll be unable to click 'use' again yo get them to follow you again. It's very frustrating when a certain NPC is needed later for some dialogue in a cutscene. There are a few other minor bugs here and there, but nothing serious.

Other than all that, the game is very well done, and a big step for Arkane. I think you'll especially appreciate it if you've played Arx Fatalis. You will note the improvements, and really respect Arkane for their development :D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #24 on: Friday, November 03, 2006, 03:18:54 PM »
Notes for what to expect w/ the upcoming Multiplayer 1.01 Patch (which will be put out via Steam) for Dark Messiah

In preparation for a multiplayer patch coming soon to a computer near you (via Steam), below is the list of fixes to expect.

When we have a firm date for the patch, this thread will be updated with the new information.

********************************************************************************************
MP Update 1.01 changes and bug fixes
********************************************************************************************

- ‘Can’t find background image materials/console/startup_loading.vtf’ error: Due to incorrect registry key setting for Steam language, now fixed

- ¾ Loading Progression lockup: Fixed

- Loading bar: Now displays progress information

- Remembering skills on disconnect: When a player reconnects to a server the game should return him to his previous level. This will not work across campaigns (new campaign wipes all skills).

- Scoreboard fonts: Changed the scoreboard to ensure it displays 32 players even at low officially unsupported resolutions (e.g. 640x480)

- Main Menu: We have made sure the main menu displays even at low resolutions (e.g. 640x480)

- Battle Begins Message Flicker: Fixed

- Backstab improvements: We have made yet more improvements to the backstab system, making it smoother to trigger and preventing 'lockup' situations

- Assassin cloak / capture points: Now the action of taking a point is considered an 'aggressive' act and will de-cloak an assassin

- Stoneskin damage change: Stoneskin now lasts less long on priestesses than other characters. Stoneskin will slow a staff user's attacks down while stoneskinned.

- Leaping attack bug fixed. Knights must now sprint up to a minimum speed before triggering Leap Attack. Sprint forwards for 1/2 a second or so, jump and press fire to trigger the attack.

- Nvidia antialiasing code: Prevents users selecting an antialiasing mode their card does not support

- Alt-Tab is now re-enabled: This is officially unsupported and the users’ mileage will vary depending on drivers/cards etc.

- Windowed Mode: Entering a command line parameter of ‘-window’ will enable the game to be played in a window.

- ‘-width’ will specify a standard resolution (such as –width 800 for 800x600): Again, this is officially unsupported and mileage will vary!

- Game Servers in Steam Browser: Should now be visible in the standard out-of-game server browser.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Dark Messiah: Might & Magic: Limited Ed = $30 @ EB/GameStop; sale's over now...
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, December 27, 2006, 02:57:10 PM »
Cheapest price I seen for this Special Edition -- $30....

Extra note:
A coupon/password for the FREE 5-10 Day Cheap Shipping from EB.com, good til Dec. 31st -- SAVER
« Last Edit: Friday, December 29, 2006, 03:03:19 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Messiah of Might & Magic: Limited Edition = $30 @ EB/GameStop
« Reply #26 on: Friday, December 29, 2006, 02:32:11 PM »
Sale's gone with; price is back to $60.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Messiah: Might & Magic: Limited Ed = $30 @ EB/GameStop; sale's over now
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 02:32:59 PM »
My copy of this arrived; will install in a moment or two or three or four....

EDIT #1 - 5:28pm (my time, Atlantic):
The game takes up 10 GB or so, in total.

The box says the game takes up 7 GB -- yeah, but they don't tell you that that's just for the SP alone iitself.

The SP is 7 GB, but the MP takes up another additional approximate 3 GB.

Both the SP and MP are updating over STEAM -- and it's taking forever to update, at a fast DSL speed of over 173 kbps. Wonderful. I wonder how big this UPDATE is....

MP has so far updated some 60% so far, while SP is around 76% updated.

That's STEAM for you; STEAM sucks.

EDIT #2 - 7:32 PM
The MP finished updating a bit ago, but the SP is still at it; the SP got about 85% done, and it's DL'ing at 180.6 KBPS on my DSL.

EDIT #3 - 8:57 PM
All updated....FINALLY.....
How exhausting...
« Last Edit: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 06:57:34 PM by MysterD »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Dark Messiah: Might & Magic: Limited Ed = $30 @ EB/GameStop; sale's over now
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 05:56:27 PM »
Can I make a request for someone (a moderator) to MERGE this current thread I'm writing in right here (link!)

RIGHT INTO

This old huge Dark Messiah thread (link!)?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 07:24:23 PM »
Consider it done.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, January 03, 2007, 08:58:54 PM »
Consider it done.

You're awesome, Que. :) Thanks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »
Well, temptation and curiosity got the better of me. I downloaded the ripped version of DM (it's basically the single-player files from the Steam installation). It runs very nicely. I got it because I had to see for myself the issues everyone was complaining about, and the gripes with the 'linear' gameplay.

After playing through the game several times, and seeing 4 endings (similar but with subtle differences), I've come to the conclusion that it is a great game. It is fairly linear, but there are a few moments where you can create a turning point. The locations will be the same no matter what choices you make, but how they fan out may differ. Your choices can make an ally who may aid you in a coming battle, or an enemy that will obstruct your path. So it's not as strictly "linear."
So, there are "some" decisions along the way. Cool.

This is the first game in which I was more tempted to be "dark" despite my classic tendency to be "the pure of heart" hero. Basically there are 3 paths: be with the "good" girl, be with the "demon" girl, or be alone. Each path is relatively obvious, though there are some interesting revelations along the way. The 3 paths can also be considered as for the greater good, for the greater evil, or for yourself. Normally I'd be the "I shall do it for the greater Good" sort, but in this game, I was way more emotionally agreeable with completing tasks for myself! Call it sinful, but damn it, it made more sense! The "evil" was purely evil, and had no interest in keeping me around, and the "good" were stuck-up, self-righteous bastards! So screw 'em both!
Hehe!

The gameplay was very enjoyable! As usual I played it in a very stealthy fashion, so making good use of the traps laid out about the environment was truly satisfying! Whether it's cutting rope which releases a swinging slab, breaking a weak support pole, or simply shoving an enemy on a trap-platform to activate a deadly trap, it was all good fun! The rope-bow is a really handy tool, giving you a greater command over the places you can reach. This is one game where paying attention to your environment will reward you handsomely!
The gameplay and combat -- like Arx Fatalis -- is excellent. The violence and fatalities are there --- so are one-shot kills when you fill the power swing meter up, too.

But, this time for combat -- the magic system is much better. My complaint w/ Arx was not the rune system, but the fact you couldn't PAUSE the game to actually draw the rune -- since some of the runes weren't easy to draw and when in the midst of complaint, it's hard to get a rune drawing off -- and to add to that, doing it correctly wasn't always easy, either.

Obviously, the bugs are a drawback. Some can seriously deteriorate the gameplay, especially when it stalls and stutters rendering it unplayable! Fortunately that was a rare occurrence, but it should be addressed! The other tedious bug is the HUD corruption. Sometimes (usually during the stuttering) the HUD will just appear corrupted with a lot of magenta overlaying the slots (probably where the transparencies are supposed to be). Luckily, this can be easily alleviated by quicksaving and quickloading. Another slight issue is the lighting. In some areas you enter you'll notice the lighting/shading flickering as you move or look around. One more irritating bug has to do with clipping; sometimes while I'm attacking an enemy and I back him up to a wall, he'll just suddenly fall through the corner of the wall and floor, and I can still hear him for a little while before he suddenly disappears. That's as far as I've noticed in graphical bugs. The A.I. is decent, but I've noticed that sometimes when you press 'use' on an ally to tell him/her to stop, they'll stay in place (as expected) but you'll be unable to click 'use' again yo get them to follow you again. It's very frustrating when a certain NPC is needed later for some dialogue in a cutscene. There are a few other minor bugs here and there, but nothing serious.
W/ its current patch, 1.02, I am happy w/ the in-game performance for Dark Messiah, to say the least. Looks great and runs great. Never below 30 frames for me w/ most graphical settings on "high." I even have shadows to reflect the entire world, too.

Other than all that, the game is very well done, and a big step for Arkane. I think you'll especially appreciate it if you've played Arx Fatalis. You will note the improvements, and really respect Arkane for their development :D
I do agree w/ this.

Everything that made Arx great is here -- and improved. Graphics, environment, voice-acting & combat gameplay are great.

Though, the story seems like typical fanfare for medieval games (at least so far -- with the whole "amazing item falls into your hands and/or the wrong hands and decides the fate of a land or galaxy"), it's good. I dunno', but I really liked Arx's story -- and the whole fact that it takes entirely underground, as well. Regardless, Dark Messiah is very good -- and improved on EVERYTHING else.

I do wish the game-world was a lil' more open (like Arx Fatalis was) and actually had some side quests to it, instead of being straight-forward like say the usual FPS game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 06:54:24 PM »
Well, damn.  I guess I'll have to try this out, then.  Arg.  But it's Steam-only, correct?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 07:10:36 PM »
Well, damn.  I guess I'll have to try this out, then.  Arg.  But it's Steam-only, correct?

You can choose to install just the SP only -- and you get to deal w/ no STEAM; just the game on CD, basically.

You need STEAM for MP. If you install the MP, after installing the MP though, the game opens up STEAM and basically FORCES you to convert the SP & MP over into STEAM files.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Friday, January 05, 2007, 07:26:09 PM »
Well, if I can avoid Steam for SP, then this isn't so bad.  Now I wish I'd jumped on that $30 deal...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 08:21:52 AM »
Well, if I can avoid Steam for SP, then this isn't so bad.  Now I wish I'd jumped on that $30 deal...
If you don't install the MP, you can avoid it.

The original install wasn't so bad; took a bit of time, from around 4:45 to around 5:25pm or so.

I wanted the MP, though, since it is supposed to be quite good -- so, I decided I'd have to deal w/ STEAM for the SP, unfortunately. The updating was terrible, though -- since it converts all 7 GB of the SP over into STEAM files into the STEAM folder; took me from 5:30 pm to around 8:55 pm to get that ALL converted and updated; and that's on fuckin' DSL, clocking over 160 kbps.

WORST INSTALL & UPDATING PROCESS EVER.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #36 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 09:13:19 AM »
X, how is the game on the multi-player side of things???

And how long did it take you to finish the SP campaign?

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Saturday, January 06, 2007, 02:09:50 PM »
The SP is awesome and so far has been very memorable.

Spoilers Galore -- From Demon Girl to Leanna
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, January 07, 2007, 12:46:32 AM »
Nice! I'm glad you're enjoying man :) I thought Xana was pretty hot for a video-game chick :P

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, January 07, 2007, 06:14:10 AM »
Nice! I'm glad you're enjoying man :) I thought Xana was pretty hot for a video-game chick :P

The Dragon & Cyclops Spoilers
(click to show/hide)

So far, so memorable.

I wonder how long that SP campaign is.

It's so good, I might even consider running through it a 2nd time, to see the other endings and all.