Author Topic: iOS Gaming Thread  (Read 143445 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: iOS Gaming Thread
« Reply #360 on: Friday, December 02, 2011, 04:23:59 PM »
Crimson: Steam Pirates for iPhone is free! Happy day!

The iPad version was free from the start, and still is. Basically the iPad version had the first chapter included, and two more as in app purchases. The iPhone version came later and cost 99 cents, but it had the first two chapters included and only the 3rd had to be bought.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #361 on: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
Space Miner and Space Miner HD are free this weekend. Looks like the first time they've ever been free. Looks like an awesome 2D space exploration game or something. Got really positive reviews.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #362 on: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 01:23:36 PM »
X-com fans might want to check out Aliens versus Humans.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #363 on: Sunday, December 04, 2011, 02:23:47 PM »
Ninjatown is free this weekend too!

Update:
Book of Heroes is available for free too!
« Last Edit: Monday, December 05, 2011, 12:34:37 AM by Xessive »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #364 on: Tuesday, December 06, 2011, 04:37:48 PM »
Zombie Gunship went free. Its like those AC-10 missions in CoD, only you're protecting civilians from zombies.

Also, GREE is merging with OpenFeint for mobile stuff. Some of the names being thrown around for iOS and other mobile games are Resident Evil, Monster Hunter, and Yakuza. Yakuza! Oh please keep the gambling games in.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #366 on: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 04:32:57 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #367 on: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 04:38:53 PM »
Guess so. Ill check it out. Maybe I can finally set up my avatar without an xbox.

So I tried Zombie Gunship. Apparently its a really popular game and...I dont know why. I think its kinda boring.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #368 on: Wednesday, December 07, 2011, 09:43:45 PM »
Robo5 and Robo5 HD are free. This is the one like the block puzzle sections of Catherine.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #369 on: Thursday, December 08, 2011, 10:16:31 PM »
Mirrors Edge regular and HD versions are both free right now.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #370 on: Friday, December 09, 2011, 11:51:02 PM »
I grabbed Mirror's Edge and Zombie Gunship while they were free.  I agree with you idol, I'm not sure why Zombie Gunship got such high praise.  After playing through the tutorial I was really bored with it.

On the other hand, Mirror's Edge is pretty good.  The controls are fairly easy to get a hang of and it maintains the feel of the console version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #371 on: Tuesday, December 13, 2011, 10:57:03 PM »
Civilization Revolution saw an unexpected update.

• iCloud support: save your game to iCloud storage and play your save game on any other iPod Touch, iPhone or iPad (you can save your game on iPhone and continue on iPad)
• Game Center Support: 29 Achievements
• Visual Fidelity: improved terrain textures, new resource icons, improved unit icons, and animated water, seagulls and fish to make the terrain come to life
• Scenario generator: Create your own scenario challenges. By popular demand from the iPad version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #372 on: Wednesday, December 14, 2011, 11:44:38 PM »
Fara is free. Action RPG looking thing made by a couple of ex-Fountainhead/id Mobile guys that worked on the Orcs & Elves games (as well as the id RPG games in that style).

I don't know about this one, but everyone seems to be enjoying King Cashing, which is a slot machine/RPG blend. I have no idea how that even works, but for free I'll try it.

VidRythm is free again. 3GS or higher needed (think it requires a camera). Its kinda fun to mess with.

Heres an odd release: Kinectimals. Yeah.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #373 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 09:39:31 AM »
Edge is free. Some sort of puzzle game, looks to be highly rated.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #374 on: Thursday, December 15, 2011, 11:04:58 AM »
Edge is free. Some sort of puzzle game, looks to be highly rated.
Nice, I have EDGE on my PSP. The controls are very accurate with the d-pad, I'm curious how they handled the touch controls. Time to find out ;D

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #375 on: Sunday, December 18, 2011, 06:50:21 PM »
Junk Jack LE is the new demo version of Junk Jack, a 2D Minecraft/Terraria inspired game. Might be worth checking out.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #376 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 08:17:23 AM »
Velocispider went free. Cool looking retro-arcade shooter.

Jetpack Joyride is also free. For an infinite runner its pretty good, if you're into that kind of thing.

Crescent Moon games are all on sale for 99 cents. Aralon is a big open world Oblivion-ish RPG. Rimelands is a turn-based RPG with a cool dice based combat resolution mechanic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #377 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »
Trying Jump Jack... pretty fun. I don't know how well the genre suits itself to the small screen and such, it's a bit awkward at first, but these games usually are regardless. I dunno'. If there's enough to it and it's well-balanced enough, I can see it being all the things Minecraft and Terraria have been, just with a control scheme that feels a little too loose for its own good.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #378 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 09:57:01 AM »
Yeah the controls make it a little hard to use, but I do like it. If there was a PC version it would be pretty awesome with these oversized blocks. The crafting is just sort of a pain because of the small screen size and lack of a right click to easily split stacks.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #379 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 10:02:14 AM »
Yeah, I find the crafting and inventory manipulation a bit irritating. It's kind of finnicky when you're moving items from slot to slot.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #380 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 01:48:46 PM »
Velocispider is nice. Not great, but nice. Its like Space Invaders with a different theme, you tilt your device to move back and forth and you fire automatically. Killing enemies will sometimes drop powerups and stuff. Its a tiny download and its worth having a peek at the pixel art, might be something you'll play when you have 5 minutes to spare, but thats probably it.

Shit, I do so much of this stuff I should start writing iOS reviews.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #381 on: Monday, December 19, 2011, 01:52:07 PM »
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP is on sale! Universal is $1.99 while the Micro version is $0.99. Only difference is the Universal version will take advantage of the iPad screen. No iPad? Save a buck.

Its a groovy point and click style adventure game. It looks amazing and has great music. I recommend it.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #382 on: Tuesday, December 20, 2011, 12:52:33 PM »
Looks like EAs Christmas sale is...every game, HD included, are 99 cents each. For example, this is the cheapest Real Racing 2 has ever been.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #383 on: Wednesday, December 21, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
iMAME is free and available, but I'm sure not for long. Comes with some free games but people have figured out how to add ROMs to it, no jailbreak required. Grab it while its hot.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #384 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 01:05:34 AM »
iMAME is free and available, but I'm sure not for long. Comes with some free games but people have figured out how to add ROMs to it, no jailbreak required. Grab it while its hot.
iMAME app gets pulled from iTunes

God damn it..

EDIT:
I grabbed it before it was pulled, I hope that means I get to keep it at my discretion.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #385 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 07:35:51 AM »
You get to keep it as long as you keep the .ipa file. You wont be able to redownload it, though.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #386 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 04:33:56 PM »
I uploaded my IPA of iMAME right here, in case anyone needs it. I figure it could just be a case of dropping it into the right folder and syncing.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #387 on: Sunday, December 25, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »
Each .ipa is tied to your itunes account so unfortunately other people can't use your file. You'd have to jailbreak to use it and at that point you can just grab MAME4all for yourself.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #388 on: Friday, January 20, 2012, 10:37:21 PM »
Well its been a while since I last posted. Nothings really caught my eye until now.

Triple Town is rather interesting. Kind of a match 3 puzzle game, but a little more freeform. And you end up building and improving a town as you play. Try it, its cool. And free. To a point I guess since theres in in-app purchase for "unlimited turns", though they do "recharge" for free. I havent run into a situation where it told me I couldnt keep playing, but Ive only played 2-3 times so far.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #389 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 10:16:10 AM »
Downloaded.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #390 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 02:27:37 PM »
Man. More and more games are not supporting the earlier gen iPod that I got. It makes me sad, but I did get the thing for free. I understand the 3D stuff, but when I see simpler looking games like this I get confused.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #391 on: Saturday, January 21, 2012, 02:40:32 PM »
Doesn't even make sense for this game, either. I don't know what the issue is but I'm guessing this wants a retina display because the text is all tiny and stupid looking, and it doesn't even need to be in terms of the design. Seems like lazy development to me.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #392 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
Greed Corp(iPhone), Greed Corp HD (iPad), and Greed Corp (Mac) are all 99 cents each.

Hero Academy seems to be the "new hotness" when it comes to async multiplayer. Free download with some ads, buy more teams to remove ads (and of course, get new teams). You have a small-ish board that you can place your dudes on and you get 5 action points to spend per turn. So you could spend all 5 moving and fighting with one guy, or spread across a couple guys, etc. Sadly there is no solo play or AI, so I haven't given it a play yet.

Death Rally has gone free again in case you missed it before.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #393 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 01:51:41 PM »
Hero Academy is another game I can't try. I wanted to give last week it a go with you folks, but I'm too low tech.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #394 on: Tuesday, January 24, 2012, 02:15:47 PM »
Yeah thats what sucks about a lot of these. Especially these 2D games that don't seem to need the latest tech. Though I guess the main issue it having GameCenter handle the async stuff which is only in iOS5...which can't be installed on the older units. Which in itself is dumb.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #395 on: Friday, January 27, 2012, 05:59:02 PM »
If anybody is up for playing Words with Friends, start a game with me.  My username is jypster.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #396 on: Saturday, January 28, 2012, 10:09:00 AM »
Eden - World Builder (free right now) is a Minecraft clone that came out before the official MC port. I dont think this has any survival aspect in it either, but it does seem to have more "stuff" than the current official version.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #397 on: Sunday, January 29, 2012, 08:09:38 AM »
This one isn't so much a deal but letting you know about a new game coming out.
Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land is a turn-based strategy/role-playing game based on the award winning Call of Cthulhu RPG. Set in the midst of World War One, the game pits your team of investigators and soldiers against an ancient enemy, one older than humanity itself... Can your team of investigators keep their grip on sanity long enough to stop these diabolical plans? The fate of humanity is in your hands...
Its in the New Zealand store already, and should be in the US store later tonight. US price will be $4.99.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #398 on: Sunday, January 29, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »
Makers of Triple Town sues maker of Yeti Town.

First: Yeti Town, as launched by 6waves, was a nearly perfect copy of Triple Town. We’re not just talking about the game’s basic mechanics here. We’re talking about tons of little details, from the language in the tutorial, to many of our UI elements, to the quantities and prices of every single item in the store (how exactly did 6waves “independently” decide to price 200 turns for 950 coins, or 4 wildcards for 1500 coins each? That’s quite a coincidence!) But don’t take our word for it.

Second: what most people don’t know is that 6waves was in confidential (under NDA) negotiations with us to publish Triple Town at the exact same time that they were actively copying Triple Town. We gave 6waves private access to Triple Town when it was still in closed beta, months before the public was exposed to the game. We believed those negotiations were ongoing, and we continued to give private information to 6waves, until 6waves’ Executive Director of Business Development sent us a message via Facebook on the day Yeti Town was published in which he suddenly broke off negotiations and apologized for the nasty situation. His message can be found in its entirety in the body of our legal complaint.
Damn what a shitty move to pull.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #399 on: Sunday, January 29, 2012, 10:46:17 PM »
Wow, that's some amazing bullshit right there.