Author Topic: So I may be gone for a few days.  (Read 2763 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
So I may be gone for a few days.
« on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:06:49 AM »
The big move happens on Wednesday as far as furniture goes, but Sy's coming over today to help me move a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff.  Movers are going to be doing a lot of the furniture, but a few things we're either doing ourselves or disassembling for them.  One of those is the computer desk, and who knows whether or not I'll end up with anything to put the computer on until Wednesday.  Then after that, cable hookups don't happen until Friday, so I could theoretically be out of commission for about a week.

So cheers, guys!  I'll catch you on the other side of the suburbs.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: So I may be gone for a few days.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 09:15:15 AM »
Good luck! This place will be a ghost town for the next 7 days.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:35:53 AM »
Nah, I've got plenty of disturbing flash videos to keep us occupied until he returns.

Hope it all goes smoothly Que.  There's not much I hate more than moving.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 10:42:11 AM »
You and me both.  What's worse is I'm a little underprepared... need to get my ass moving and pack some more things this morning.  It also sucks because I'm borrowing my father in law's truck, but around here parking is impossible to find, and I'm not a bad enough dude to try to parallel park the thing in a spot that's anything less than obscenely huge.  So it may either get double parked, or I'll have to pull it around back into our tiny lot, which is almost as scary.

Thanks for the well-wishing.  When everything goes horribly wrong I'll try to remember how much worse it would have been without the extra good karma.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 11:04:13 AM »
Yea I really hate moving. One of the worst experiences in the world.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 12:22:05 PM »
Good luck on the move Que and hope you enjoy the new place.  It looked awesome when we were all out there, looking forward to being out there next year.

I am just now finishing up my move as well, just need to clean up the old place a little more and hand in the keys at the end of the month.  It all went suprisingly smooth, except for the apartment management having their heads up their asses about getting us our mail key and I found out last night when checking the mail, that the door to my box is now broken when it wasn't broken on Friday.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 12:49:50 PM »
Sucks dude.  Glad it went relatively easy, though.  Today is going... somewhat less smoothly than planned.  Ran out of packing tape (whoops), and it's looking like I might have erred a little on the side of not packing enough.  There's still a pretty hideous load of crap to go, and unfortunately not as much of it is boxed as should be.

Well, this is it.  I'll see you guys in a week or so.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:32:20 PM »
Later Que, good luck. Didn't even know that you got a new place, that's awesome. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:40:40 PM »
Good luck Que! We'll be right here when you get back :)

Congrats on the new place ;)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:45:00 PM »
Imagine if we aren't.

What if there is some zombie apocalypse here, and we all die, and then Que comes back and is like wtf, where is everyone, and D is the only survivor.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 01:50:10 PM »
good luck!!!
Taken.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 02:38:28 PM »
Imagine if we aren't.

What if there is some zombie apocalypse here, and we all die, and then Que comes back and is like wtf, where is everyone, and D is the only survivor.

Then it's means that the world is screwed...unless Que takes my soul!

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 03:47:55 PM »
Pfft, I'm surviving the zombie apocalypse if anyone is.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 03:58:17 PM »

I find it hilarious that, of all the people to survive a zombie apocalypse, you pick D. :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 04:07:55 PM »
Zombies eat brains.

D's skull is too impregnable.

Plus, it would frighten Que even more. :P

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, April 26, 2009, 04:09:21 PM »
Imagine if we aren't.

Hahahaha I can imagine Que's first reaction "DAMMIT! I missed the Zombie apocalypse?! There goes all my knowledge from the Zombie Survival Guide. FACK!! ARRRRGHHH!!"

The remainder of his days would be spent trying to figure out how to turn MyD into a zombie so he can at least experience one zombie attack. :P

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 07:05:47 PM »
I'm back!  I'm here!  And that was easily the worst fucking move of my entire life.  By a mile.  And a half.

Nobody ever talk to me about moving ever again.  They just installed the cable after it should have been done on Friday, then should have been done earlier today, then we realized they didn't have our current number and were calling the old place trying to get through and then not coming.  So now it's working, but I think our cable service is fucked up, because the channels we're supposed to get aren't coming in, but he says this is the service we had before.  So... I don't know.  I'm just glad I have the interwebs again.

Also, I threw my fucking back out.  Not during any of the horrible heavy stuff I was moving for two weeks, but moving a couple tiny boxes from the back of my trunk TODAY.  THE DAY BEFORE I GO BACK TO WORK.  Hooray, I'm going to punchy someone in the face.

So... no zombie apocalypse I take it?

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #17 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 08:31:55 PM »
I hate moving. Thanks to the military my family moved constantly, and everything had to be done perfectly. If I stepped out of the way so my dad could do things "right", I got in trouble for not helping. From a very young age I discovered that moving means several days of mommy and daddy yelling at eachother. I moved apartments while in college with just the help of a couple friends and it was a completely different story. Fuck them.

Anyway, it's good that you're back up and running. Something ALWAYS goes wrong in a move. If you think something didn't, it's just because you haven't noticed yet.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 08:35:41 PM »
Yeesh, sucks to hear the move went shitty, glad you're back though.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #19 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 08:55:10 PM »
How's your new place?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 09:07:20 PM »
So... no zombie apocalypse I take it?
Almost. There was a swine flu outbreak. Pug was in a hurry to relocate. I barricaded my room (I was rearranging it anyway :P). The prospect of Zombie piggies was mildly amusing. MyD survived.

Good to have you back man :) Now that the move's over the arduous task of unpacking begins. Take your time and relax, plus you need to rest that spine!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #21 on: Sunday, May 03, 2009, 09:18:10 PM »
Heh, rest would be lovely, but now my "vacation" is over and I get to go back to work.  Joy.

As for the new place... it's fantastically amazing.  You know what I'm hearing right now?  Nothing.  No psychotic neighbors, no screaming people outside, nobody smoking and spitting in my front yard, no Spanish obscenities being shouted right under my couch, no techno, no fucking morons standing outside my front door listening to the radio in their car.  We've heard our neighbors watching TV and working in their kitchen a few times, but it completely doesn't matter.  Even though that *would* have been bothering me at our old apartment, I really like these people.  They're totally nice and friendly and great neighbors, and if they want to make any noise, I wouldn't begrudge them the opportunity.  Just because they aren't scumsucking, subhuman freaks like our last neighbors.  But even the noise they do make is entirely minimal, and the only reason it's even noticeable at all is because of just how quiet the neighborhood is.  The occasional car drives by, and you hear the trash trucks when it's trash day, and that's like... it.  It's bliss.

So yeah, all is well.  Sucks to be going back to work, and there's still so much to do it's crazy, but even with all the setbacks it was totally worth it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 08:33:56 AM »
Welcome back.  Moves are the worst, and get worse as you accumulate ever more crap through time.  Any casualties besides your back?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #23 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 05:02:14 PM »
Well, nothing for sure.  It looks like I somehow managed to lose my father's class ring, which is a fairly devastating blow.  I still have another ring and one of his dog tags, but... it hurts a little.  The rat also isn't doing so well.  He seems to be dealing with the move fairly well mentally, though it took a day for him to get settled.  But his health has been degrading for some time now, and this didn't do it any favors.  I don't know how much longer he'll be with us.  I know it sounds odd to people who don't keep rats, but the thought just kills me.  I really love that little guy and can't express how empty the house will feel when he's gone.

Commute today was a pleasant surprise, at least.  Seems like it may be around a third shaved off each way, give or take.  Normally would take about 40-45 minutes going, 45-55 minutes back.  Today I got there in about 25 and got back in about 35.  I had no idea it was going to be that much better.  We're closer to Julia's folks now, at about a 5-10 minute trip, but much farther from my mom.  Used to be 2 minutes to her place, now it's about 25.  Adding about 13 minutes or so to get to Sy's place as well.  Was roughly 15, now it's probably just under a half hour (though I haven't driven that one yet, so I don't know how it's going to work out exactly... it may not be quite that bad).

So things are well enough and I'm bloody happy to be home.  Now I just really need to figure out what I want in terms of a laptop, because Julia's going to be very lonely here until she gets more comfortable with it (especially if the rat dies... that'll kill both of us), and I need to spend more time upstairs.  A little wifi will let me be closer to her and still get the busywork done.

Anyone know anything cheap?   ???

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #24 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
Anyone know anything cheap?

An EEE PC like Idol has, maybe?  Or is that too small?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #25 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 08:54:29 PM »
Actually, from looking around tonight, this looks almost exactly like what I want.  Except it comes with Vista and I can't confirm if it has trouble accepting XP (potential driver issues).  And I can't really go with Ubuntu or anything because several of the programs I need to run may not work with that.  Dual booting is maybe an option, but I don't know.

Still, it seems like a great deal.  I haven't found anything better with such a big screen and comparable specs.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #26 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 11:05:36 PM »
Well Im really glad the new place is working out for you man. There were many a time where I got worried for your stress level living at that apartment, and even when you talked about how hot it was just sounded like it sucked hardcore. Im spoiled by a small apartment with a easily controlled temperature, and I can't even think of dealing with summer heat inside here. So hopefully things will be much more comfortable for you now. My neighbors are usually pretty good about noise levels, except lately they have been playing that fucking shitty ass Shinedown song thats been playing on the radio a lot apparently, and they love it so fucking much they have to play it over and fucking over again. FUCK YOU SHINEDOWN, YOUR MUSIC BLOWS. 

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #27 on: Monday, May 04, 2009, 11:15:18 PM »
Haha, that sucks man.  I miss the people who lived under us before.  They at least used to play Johnny Cash.

But yeah, hopefully this place will work out to be better for everybody.  Julia hasn't been dealing with the stress of the move so well, but that'll pass in time.  I think she'll be much happier here once she gets used to it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 12:49:12 AM »
Que I hope one day you can afford a place that can house an entire OW meet.

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 05:49:01 AM »
Glad you are liking the new place.  I know your old neighbors drove you crazy, so it's good that this will be more relaxing.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday, May 05, 2009, 06:55:50 AM »
More relaxing ftw!

And Pug, I don't know about that.  But I'm working on it.  As of now, I think I can comfortably house 4 people.  2 upstairs in the living room, 2 downstairs on the not-yet-purchased-but-hopefully-soonish sofa bed (likely reserved for Pyro and Megan since I don't think any other OWmembers are interested in sleeping together).