Author Topic: Eid Mubarak!  (Read 3824 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Eid Mubarak!
« on: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 09:24:06 PM »
Happy Eid everybody! I wish you all an awesome and bountiful 3 days!

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
Re: Eid Mubarak!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 10:58:12 PM »
I have no idea what this is but I'm assuming there aren't presents.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Thursday, September 09, 2010, 11:28:41 PM »
An awesome and bountiful three days would be most excellent.  I'll take you up on that and offer the same wish in return.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Friday, September 10, 2010, 03:36:26 AM »
Haha au contraire, mon ami! Presents aplenty!

Have a blast y'all!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #4 on: Friday, September 10, 2010, 06:49:56 AM »
I was listening to NPR on the way in this morning and there was a report about cultural centers in major cities suspending celebration of the holiday on September 11.  While I think it's a smart PR move, and I understand why the decisions were made, it still is utterly ridiculous that it has to happen.  I'm not wholly educated on Islam, but wouldn't that be akin to Christians delaying the celebration of Christmas? 

They also mentioned a poll that said 49% of Americans have a negative view of Islam.  No doubt due to Fox News and stories about extremists.  I'd wager a guess that if opinions of Christians were solely based  on the actions of backwoods fundamentalist Christian militia they'd have a huge problem with it.

Either way, enjoy the holiday.  I don't know anything about it, but I'm certainly going to remedy that later on when I get a chance.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Friday, September 10, 2010, 07:51:35 AM »
I propose we keep that discussion in the Serious Topics board.  Xessive just wants to spread good wishes here, and I heartily endorse the sentiment.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Friday, September 10, 2010, 10:06:31 AM »
Yeah, don't mean to be a Debbie Downer or anything, just thought the points were relevant.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #7 on: Monday, September 13, 2010, 02:59:45 AM »
No worries, it's supposed to be a cheery time afterall :)

It's kinda odd to shift the celebrations. Good analogy, K-man, it's kinda like that but they even did it here last year because Eid happened around the time of the anniversary of the former president's death the year earlier. Even here, there were no major celebrations. I think it was only because it was so soon after his death.

Overall, Islam (proper Islam) is pretty flexible so nobody really takes much issue with shifting a celebration if it's for the greater good or out of respect. I believe God is pretty chilled out :)