Author Topic: Valve to offer mods via Steam  (Read 672 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Valve to offer mods via Steam
« on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 09:57:56 AM »
I know, Steam hate, blah blah. Just thought it was sort of interesting. Next week Valve will allow 5 mods to offer their files and updates through Steam. The mods are Insurgency, Synergy, D.I.P.R.I.P., Age of Chivalry, and Zombie Panic.

This is both good and bad for mods. On the good side, the auto-updating and single download source will make it easier for players to download and play. Don't have to try find the latest beta or whatever. Being so easy to get I'm sure these mods will see an increase in players, which is what most Source mods desperately need.

On the bad side, you have favoritism on Valves part. So far it's only these 5 mods. If your mod isn't on this list it just got harder for you to be noticed or cared about. Based on what I've seen of most Steam lovers, if it isn't on Steam it isn't worth looking at. I would hate to see this attitude spread to the mod scene, which already has troubles overcoming the Counter-Strike phenomenon.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Valve to offer mods via Steam
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 10:52:13 AM »
That was absolutely what I was thinking.  This just smacks of badness to me all around, especially with the way people have rallied around Steam fanboy-style.  It's like these people refuse to acknowledge anything that doesn't come out of that sector.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 02:46:12 PM »
I'm glad Valve is taking notice to offer mods to download. B/c let's face it, many mods that deserve recognition just don't ever get it, regardless of what game it's a mod for.

Unfortunately, like y'all said -- if Valve don't suggest it as something to download from them, some gamers gonna say "It must suck then" or "Why should I test this try this one that isn't Valve-approved out?"

If Steam gamers are that much into mods, just try a mod that actually interests you -- Valve-approved or not.

If it wasn't for some mods, like Drog Black Tooth's unofficial Arcanum patches, would I have reinstalled Arcanum? Probably not.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, September 27, 2008, 03:18:10 PM »
I see what you mean Idol. It's a double-edged sword.

The real problem is still fanboyism. Then that's often the trouble with almost everything.

I think what they have going here is highly rated mods will make it into the Steam system.

Mind you, Steam has had so many mods listed for over a year now, so the attention was there, they just weren't fully supported as these ones are now.