Author Topic: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2  (Read 36560 times)

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
Re: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
« Reply #240 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 09:54:35 PM »
I looked into ARMA.  It was weird.  I heard about the game and looked into it before I knew it was from the Operation: Flashpoint guys.  I watched a trailer and read a little blurb about it and thought to myself: "This reminds me a lot of Operation: Flashpoint".  Then of course I found out why soon after.

I have OF and some expansion to it.  Unfortunately, I could never get into the game.  When I finally got it, it seemed like almost no one was playing or the people that were expected you to know everything about it and had no patience for a n00b.  I also found it to be extremely buggy.  I had the single player campaign in that game break on me very early.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #241 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
It was incredibly buggy, in fact, and I gather that ArmA was too.  I'm reading some very interesting things about ArmA II, though, and it looks like they're doing quite a lot of good patching now, and continued support is still happening (including at least one free mini-campaign that's releasing with the next patch).  Apparently the engine they're using is one that's been developed for some US military training stuff?  I'm not too clear on it, but one guy has a big write-up about it on Amazon:

I've been involved with COMPUTER combat simulations since 1988 at Lawrence Livermore National Lab for the US Army (LLNL has produced two simulations of their own, JANUS and JCATS-these are non-commercial; for use by the armed services and other government agencies) and have added 12 years on since military retirement as a contract employee on Battalion and Brigade simulation exercises; toiling as a database manager to create these large scale exercises. Earlier this year, Bohemia Interactive won an Army contract to roll out "Game After Ambush" based on the newer Virtual Battlespace2 (VBS2) engine to train soldiers in Squad/Platoon leadership actions before taking these soldiers to the field at 53 locations worldwide (including mine). ARMAII uses this same engine and shares a host of similarities that I'm commenting on. (I own ArmAII and work/play on both VBS2 games many hours weekly).

As a SIMULATION - the ArmAII game (which I own and play at home)is very similar to what I deal with at work. Weapons,rendering of people, terrain and structures is as good as anything the Army has right now. To be clear, I'm a systems Admin and training instructor - not a 'player', and can comment only on what Bohemia has taught us so far as system administrators - plus the home discovery learning recently taking place. The editing capability is indeed world class, as we construct training scenarios, using maps that correlate to our larger "Federation of Simulations" to create as accurate and realistic a training environment as possible. Buildings and terrain deform realistically and blood flows as personnel become casualties. Doppler sound effects are all too realistic - radio traffic is indeed 'lame'.

We also create scripts and waypoints in the 'instruction sets' for demonstration purposes to show our junior leaders what 'right' might look like in interpreting an operations order. Many of our 'trainees' are just back from combat and we are compiling a list of suggestions to improve obvious and not so obvious faults or shortcomings in the VBS2 engine/simulation. Patches will be available as quickly as they can be programmed into code and tested. I have no idea how quickly this will pass to the ARMAII game world.

The Army community has already established a forum and repository to add new equipment, maps, etc and I hope major parts of this will also find its way into the commercial version to add to the simulations enjoyment.

As a GAME - many here in this discussion can compare their first person shooter experience where I honestly cannot with other products. With certainty - there were/are soldiers already playing the original ARMA (as well as other games)and the opportunity for our uniformed young men and women to officially participate in this type training is looked forward to by the US Army/Army Reserve and National Guard. (run around in the field with 100 lbs being carried on your back, hot/humid/cold/freezing, terrible food, etc - or slap on the earphones in an airconditioned environment and 'get it going') which would you prefer? We still send them to the field - but now they know what right looks like before they go.

Hardware demands for VBS2 are moderately steep. We were fielded HP 17" laptops, INTEL quadcore 2.5gh speed chipsets, 4 gb on the motherboard, 1 gb on a discreet video card and 2 - 500gb hard drives powered by Vista. We never stressed the the hardware too much in class - but a shared video memory on your low end home machine won't cut it. There WAS lag as we approached the entity limit - as well as combat that rendered multiple exposions and heavy smoke. What you can accept as gamer performance may have more to do with your purse or wallet than the VBS2 software.

For home use, I recently purchased an ASUS CG series - INTEL 2.5 gh quadcore, 8 gb on the motherboard, 1 gb on the discreet videocard and a 750 gb (7200rpm) harddrive. The laptop handles almost all situations - occasional bogging as we approach the entity limit (in a local network environment). My home computer is better in that the increased memory seems better utilized. I make no hardware recommendations for VBS2 - other than don't fall too far below recommeded hardware standards.

As noted by other reviews - we also got a couple scripting/software errors - experienced by field engineers in class. Patches - hopefully will find their way to the commercial VBS2 environment soonest.

The VBS1/VBS2 environment has been utilized for a longer time by the Australian, British Amries, the US Marine Corps and now the US Army. The US Army's effort is currently in a building stage - with only about 60% of sites recieving New Equipment Training as of this date.

This is a departure for the Army training environment - our troops - unofficially have been doing it for years and now should get an official great training experience.

The views expressed are my own - and do not represent those of the US Army, DOD or Bohemia Interactive or any participant companies...

Gamers have told us to wait for the patches or a follow on commercial game using VBS2.

I personally enjoy the creative construction and editing - and indeed - as an old soldier - find the action realistc, compelling and totally immersive. As one who can't wait - I'm glad I made the purchase.

There's a very positive review at GSpot, stating that the game itself is quite good, has a good story, adds in some moral choices, and really works hard to give you a big, unscripted world, but the bugs and difficulty were problematic.  Looks like the patches have fixed a ton of stuff, so hopefully by now it would be a lot more playable.

This would be great, because I've been hoping a great military sim would come along for a while now.  I don't generally get into military games on a regular basis, but that's mostly because few of them are even close to sims.  Some find that sort of thing boring, but I find it really interesting.  OpFlash was a terrible game in a lot of ways, but it was also something pretty special.  After all this MW, I'm really craving something with more realism.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #242 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:04:55 PM »
GiantBomb has a quick look of ARMA II. That video pretty much killed any interest could have had in it. Way too complicated and seems way too glitchy and unpolished.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #243 on: Saturday, December 19, 2009, 10:08:26 PM »
Yeah, I imagine it looks pretty bad.  That was in July, when it released.  They've had half a year almost to patch it up.  I would never even consider picking up a game from these guys on day one.  But it's to be expected to a degree... these games are ridiculously complex.  Sometimes I marvel that they work as well as they do on home computers as games at all.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #244 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 02:31:01 AM »
Wait - for MW2 PC, there's no option for me to say put you on a friend list and get a game going w/ you?
We can since you're already on my Steam friend list it just works through it. On PC the game seems to operate entirely through Steam without a server list.

In both MW games the parts I really enjoy are the more tactical segments like the sneaking missions and the small scale infiltrations i.e. SAS missions in MW1. The game just feels completely different when it switches over to the Marines or Rangers, it just becomes run & gun.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #245 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 05:09:20 AM »
Yea the "part of a large military force" missions are my least favorite. I love the ones where you're alone, or it's you and 1-5 other guys or so. IW is much better at the infiltration type gameplay than the "part of an army" stuff.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #246 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 08:33:06 AM »
Today marks a great or terrible moment in MW2 Multiplayer! IWNet is down and the forums are aflame! Basically, it is the exact problem we all anticipated with a centralized gaming structure: it goes down and nobody can play. If we had private and dedicated servers this would not be a problem at all.

EDIT:
Here's the Steam forum
And here's the IW official forum
« Last Edit: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 08:58:59 AM by Xessive »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #247 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 08:39:08 AM »
Today marks a great or terrible moment in MW2 Multiplayer! IWNet is down and the forums are aflame! Basically, it is the exact problem we all anticipated with a centralized gaming structure: it goes down and nobody can play.
Link me! I wanna see these burning forums!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #248 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »
I guess it is over now because I don't see anything.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #249 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 09:50:26 AM »
I guess it is over now because I don't see anything.
Yep, I'm checking now and it was over fairly quickly. That was weird. Damn, I was hoping it would be an enlightening encounter.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #250 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 10:53:34 AM »
Yep, I'm checking now and it was over fairly quickly. That was weird. Damn, I was hoping it would be an enlightening encounter.

Were you hoping it'd be down all day? :P
I'd love to see the Community flip-out, if such a thang did happen.

Dammit, bring back ded-servers!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #251 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 01:18:39 PM »
Were you hoping it'd be down all day? :P
I'd love to see the Community flip-out, if such a thang did happen.

Dammit, bring back ded-servers!
Well, I was hoping it would have generated enough rage and warranted a formal apology from IW along with ded-servers to make amends. I know, that's just wishful thinking.

Now that it's back up it keeps telling me my NAT setting is STRICT. And when I forward the ports for MW2 it refuses to connect to IWNet. So either I have a "strict" NAT or I don't play online at all. Alternatively I went ahead and put my system on a DMZ, which worked beautifully for a session then Steam suddenly stopped working. I checked on the Steam support forums and apparently Steam doesn't play well with DMZ, the exact sentence was "DMZ mode is not supported by Steam and may result in connection issues." Which doesn't make much sense to me because that would mean that if my PC was connected directly to my modem instead of through a router I would supposedly have a lot of trouble running Steam. Anyway, this sucks and now I can't connect to games as well I was yesterday!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #252 on: Sunday, December 20, 2009, 01:53:57 PM »
Well, I was hoping it would have generated enough rage and warranted a formal apology from IW along with ded-servers to make amends. I know, that's just wishful thinking.
That would've been hilarious, given all the issues gamers have had w/ MW2 on all platforms.

Now that it's back up it keeps telling me my NAT setting is STRICT. And when I forward the ports for MW2 it refuses to connect to IWNet. So either I have a "strict" NAT or I don't play online at all. Alternatively I went ahead and put my system on a DMZ, which worked beautifully for a session then Steam suddenly stopped working. I checked on the Steam support forums and apparently Steam doesn't play well with DMZ, the exact sentence was "DMZ mode is not supported by Steam and may result in connection issues." Which doesn't make much sense to me because that would mean that if my PC was connected directly to my modem instead of through a router I would supposedly have a lot of trouble running Steam. Anyway, this sucks and now I can't connect to games as well I was yesterday!
WTF?!?!?  :o

Infinity Ward should fix connectivity issues then - especially since the game requires Steam. If Steam doesn't support DMZ, IW should find a way to get the game to work through all the hoops (Steam and then IWNet) they want you to jump into the game.

I refuse to DMZ my PC for Borderlands and open any ports - and same would hold true for MW2 PC if I bought that, too. GR works fine for me for Borderlands, for now. Someone tell Gearbox to get that patch out that fixes MP connection issues.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #253 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 07:01:47 PM »
From Attack of The Show...
PC games vs. Console games.

It's about more PC games just getting strict console ports that wind up lacking the usual assortment of PC features  - namely w/ Modern Warfare 2 is mentioned here.

What a lame interview.  Two console people talking about it.  They should have had a current PC gamer on there to talk about it from their perspective.

Just finished it.  Pretty good, though the ridiculousness does kind of keep going up until the climax.  The story didn't really maintain much credibility after the halfway point or so.  Still, it was good fun, and the ending was pretty satisfying for what it was.  Wonder how they're going to up the ante for the third one.  I think they sort of blew their load, here... can't really figure where they'd want to take it.  I think it would be better to bring it down a few dozen notches and then have a few really big moments.  This one was really relentless the whole way through.  Which was cool, but more of the same would be a bit much.
I agree about the story...

(click to show/hide)

That said, I still love the game.  I think I might like the first Modern Warfare a little more though.  The events in that game just had more meat to them.  Still, this was a good effort and I'm looking forward to the third.

I'm don't really care about the multiplayer.  I played the previous game's quite a bit when it first came out, but my patience with the stupid attack helicopter attacks wore thin and I quit.  After hearing about the lack of the dedicated servers I've basically written this component of the game off.

Oh and I got the PC version btw.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #254 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 07:35:20 PM »
Though it isn't made explicit, this is what I believe happens...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #255 on: Sunday, December 27, 2009, 08:15:10 PM »
Yeah, that's pretty much what I got out of it too, iP.  But even with what they had it wasn't very well explained... though maybe that was intentional.  Because if it was well explained it would be easy to see how little sense it made, heh.  They did a good job building up the characters through MW2, though, despite the plot.  I think that's ultimately what kept me going through the end of it.  That and wanting to see whatever new interesting set they'd toss you into.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #256 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 10:52:08 PM »
So I have been playing through again on Veteran (I did Hardened last time).  I definitely feel like COD4:MW is much more memorable overall.  The story in COD:MW2 really just tanks after awhile and they try to shock the player too often* in an effort to out-do the nuclear blast scene in the first game.  That isn't to say it is a bad game because it isn't by any stretch of the imagination.  I really, really like it and it's just as polished as the first one.  I just think IW had a lot to live up to after COD4:MW and fell a bit flat.  I just hope they step it up again for MW3 and try to stay more conventional with the plot.

I did finally get a chance to play some Spec Ops with a friend.  I think we might have touched 1/5 of it.  Some of the levels weren't really all that fun but some were amazing.  That level with the AC-130 is great.  It's not only fun to control the AC-130 like you do in COD4:MW, but it's really cool to be down on the ground while your friend is raining down hell from above in the AC-130.  It's also a really challenging mission on Veteran.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #257 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 11:12:13 PM »
Having had some time to reflect, I think that's about where I'm at, too.  I liked MW2 more as a game because it fixed so much of what was wrong with the first one, or at least improved those areas to a degree, but MW was more concise, believable, and memorable as a whole package.  It didn't go as far in trying to do any one thing, yet because of that it felt like it actually went further, and some of the scenes had more impact even though they weren't as shocking.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #258 on: Wednesday, December 30, 2009, 11:41:16 PM »
So I haven't been following this thread. Que you bought MW2 or you 'bought' MW2?

edit:

Nevermind, I checked back and got my answer.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #259 on: Thursday, December 31, 2009, 01:01:01 AM »
Agreed, but in the end, I think I like MW2 more because it offers Spec Ops and the campaign is of a more reasonable difficulty on Veteran.  Veteran is nigh impossible in MW1, but MW2... it's almost a breeze thanks to no grenade spamming and no infinite enemies.  You just feel like you get more game for the money, and because the gameplay feels tighter, though not as memorable, it's just more fun.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #260 on: Thursday, December 31, 2009, 01:20:05 AM »
Yea I liked MW2 better just because I was more interested in the characters by then. By the end of MW1 I could remember maybe 1 or 2 names of other characters. By the end of MW2 I was actually yelling at my monitor, "Kick his ass, *spoiler*!" I was seriously into it. Also Spec Ops is badass, though I've really barely touched it.

Multiplayer wise, I'm playing a decent amount of MW2, and I never played any multi in MW1. I got 45-60fps in single player, but mutli was more like 0.5-1fps. I never could find a way to fix it. So I got MW2 on 360.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #262 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 03:52:23 PM »
Ugh, I hate when they call this shit "mods". These are hacks and cheats. It just confuses the language, when people say they want to mod their game they mean like...mod mods, gameplay mods. Not hacks and shit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #263 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 04:10:11 PM »
Well technically even a cheat is a modification, but I know what you mean.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #264 on: Wednesday, January 20, 2010, 02:16:43 PM »
Modern Warfare 2's DLC that will be 'exclusive' to the Xbox360 will only be exclusive for 30 days.

30 days?  That's a really short amount of time.  I like how they're trying to make a big deal about this.

That said, I'm more interested if there will be new spec ops missions.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #266 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 06:15:20 PM »
Unless additional missions are included for spec ops, I'm not interested.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #267 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 08:14:27 PM »
Unless additional missions are included for spec ops, I'm not interested.
Oh that would be awesome! Even though I have yet to play Spec Ops properly, I'm really looking forward to some coop action.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #268 on: Wednesday, March 10, 2010, 08:17:43 PM »
Spec ops is truly awesome, especially on Veteran.  On Veteran it's challenging enough that there needs to be coordination between you and your friend in order to execute the missions properly.  Though there isn't really any story on spec ops, it's an incredible amount of fun.  I highly recommend you play it. 

You can of course play it through by yourself, but it isn't easy and there are two that require an ally.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #269 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 03:22:10 AM »

That's the marketing for the March 30th map pack.

Response from DICE: "How to avoid 'mapathy' without paying!" (AKA free map pack for BFBC2 on the same day, for anyone who bought the game new. Though it's really just expanding current game modes to more of the current maps, so more of a map update.)

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #270 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 06:45:12 AM »
Heh, yea I was going to post the DICE response but you already have it covered. Though they try to come off as being all generous and shit, they're not offering any new maps, just opening up game modes for two of their existing maps which they probably had locked since the games release.

This is why these map packs are available at no extra cost, contradicting the industry standard and what our direct competitors are doing.

God get over yourselves.

There will be future paid downloadable content as well but these packs will focus on expanding other parts of the game experience rather than the selection of maps available for the basic game modes.

Then here they go on saying that they will indeed have paid content in the future. You may not be Activision, but your still EA.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #271 on: Thursday, March 11, 2010, 08:59:13 AM »
Spec ops is truly awesome, especially on Veteran.  On Veteran it's challenging enough that there needs to be coordination between you and your friend in order to execute the missions properly.  Though there isn't really any story on spec ops, it's an incredible amount of fun.  I highly recommend you play it. 

You can of course play it through by yourself, but it isn't easy and there are two that require an ally.
Yeah, that's what I've been doing. Just exploring the Spec Ops missions. I did manage to play one of them with a friend on his PS3 and it was pretty intense (the forest Sniper one, can't remember what it's called).

When it comes to coop I don't mind if there's no story. It's really all about the gameplay and objectives, like the R6 terrorist hunts.

As soon as I get my new PC I'll jump back into MW2.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #272 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 03:03:32 PM »
Apparently Xbox Live Silver members can play online for free all weekend. As of this posting you should be able to get on already.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #273 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 06:57:59 PM »
Your score is pretty good W7RE, at least compared to mine... mine is pretty sad. Maybe it's because PC's player base is a little more brutal, but yea, I'm too embarrassed to show mine.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #274 on: Friday, March 12, 2010, 07:01:54 PM »
Your score is pretty good W7RE, at least compared to mine... mine is pretty sad. Maybe it's because PC's player base is a little more brutal, but yea, I'm too embarrassed to show mine.

Meaning BFBC2? It's cool, I looked yours up by guessing your login name. ;D

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #275 on: Sunday, March 14, 2010, 10:31:17 PM »
The best-selling Xbox 360 game of all-time just got bigger, with more epic multiplayer content, first on Xbox LIVE! The Stimulus Package delivers 5 additional action-packed multiplayer maps featuring a variety of locations: "Bailout," a multi-level apartment complex; "Storm," an open industrial park littered with heavy machinery; "Salvage," a snowy junkyard fortified by stacked debris and crushed cars. Two legendary fan-favorites from Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare return, including "Crash," a war-torn urban environment; and "Overgrown," which features a massive dry creek bed. There are no refunds for this item. For more information, see www.xbox.com/live/accounts.

This is from the Xbox.com Marketplace for the map pack.  Looks like no spec ops, just 5 additional competitive MP levels.  No longer interested since no spec ops content.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #276 on: Monday, March 15, 2010, 05:47:09 AM »
And the map pack only costs $15! Weee!

Considering 2 of these maps are old ones from CoD4, which probably too little or no coding to port over, you're paying $15 for them to create 3 maps. That's $5 per map.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #277 on: Monday, March 15, 2010, 08:46:40 AM »
I have to get into the gaming business. :P

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #278 on: Thursday, March 18, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
Holy shit, I just played a few rounds of this for the first time since BFBC2 came out (2 weeks) and I cannot play this anymore. The matches are way too fast and too much of an airplane and grenade spam clusterfuck. There are grenades flying everywhere, grenade launchers popping off all over, airplanes in the sky non stop. I dunno if he was cheating, but I shit you not someone had a harrier strike (requires a killsteak of 7) within 20 seconds of a match starting. So he had 20 seconds to kill 7 people and call it in.

Yea, even if the map pack on the 30th was $1 I don't think I'd buy it. It would surprise me if I ever played this game in multi again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #279 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 01:47:37 PM »
Modern Warfare 2 PC will be getting The FREE WEEKEND Treatment on Steam this weekend.

Pre-loading from Steam is already in effect.
Thurs 4PM PDT, you can start your Free Weekend of this.
12GB download or so.