Author Topic: Dark Souls: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Death  (Read 58955 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: K-man and Idol tackle Dark Souls together (SPOILERS GALORE!)
« Reply #120 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
Is it just me, or do you guys find arrows to be the solution to like... everything? haha

And yeah K, I love that whole bit after Sen's. So good. And actually, that's a pretty easy boss to solo, he's one of the closest the game has to a pushover for melee fighters.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #121 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 02:40:11 PM »
I defeated the Gaping Dragon the other night.
Once I bought a better sword and figured out its pattern, it was pretty easy - especially compared to Capra Demon.

On my way to Blighttown.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #122 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 03:00:21 PM »
Is it just me, or do you guys find arrows to be the solution to like... everything? haha
Arrows are extremely useful, you need to give them a shot (pun). The game won't cut you any breaks so if I can get in there and do something safely with arrows, then why not?

Case in point: I made my way into Sens Fortress tonight. I was doing ok, made a couple mistakes and got smacked by some boulders. But I get through a second fog door and see a giant. Well he cant get over here, whatever. I'll just go up these...BOOM! FIRE! ARG! WTF was that?! I look up and see this other giant thats hurling these massive firebombs. Shit, how do I get past all this while everythings burning? Well...poison arrows. 2-3 shots and hes poisoned. Does like 500 damage over time, then I had to re-apply it. I had to do a lot of waiting (so I poisoned the other giant, just because) but sure enough they both died. This allowed me to continue without having to try and dodge the firenukes he was throwing.

Also kman, thanks for a heads up about mimics. I was stabbing every chest I saw and finally hit one. They are tough bastards.
« Last Edit: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 04:50:34 PM by idolminds »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #123 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 05:14:43 PM »
It's just funny to me because I went melee the entire game (including both giants) except for 2 occasions. One was the dragon's tail, which netted me the as you know very useful reward. The other you guys will recognize when you see it because it's just after where you are and it is FUCKING ASSBALLS PILE OF SHIT ARG. Ugh. The one part of the game that made me literally want to smash my PS3 with my teeth. And there is absolutely no way to avoid it, you have to get through it or die trying, which I did like three dozen times, getting so close each time. It's awful. But with your arrows you might be able to find a way... I'm not sure. The first part for sure, but the next two dudes you have to deal with probably not.

But god, such a good game. Even that moment just makes me want to play it more. You guys are killing me, but it's awesome.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #124 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 05:21:37 PM »
I went toe-to-toe with the giant up top, but didn't see a convenient way over to the other one.

I use arrows in a lot of situations.  Either pulling, kiting, or straight up killing something ahead of time so I can safely tread forward.  When in doubt, shoot it in the face with arrows.

Also, I realized today that I've gone two-hand with every boss I've fought so far.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 05:27:46 PM »
Heh, I don't think Ive ever gone 2 handed for any length of time. I will sometimes switch to it when I know I can get in there and pound (like Gaping Dragon), but otherwise I've always got my shield and its almost always up in the ready to rock position.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #126 on: Tuesday, March 26, 2013, 07:28:41 PM »
I spent a pretty good amount of time in defensive posture, but went 2-handed when it was called for, which was on a semi-regular basis.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #127 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 06:56:17 AM »
Anor Londo is quickly becoming my favorite part of the game.  I'm not a huge fan of those lightning gargoyle things, though.  I have to say, From's level design in this game has been stellar so far.  I really love how everything connects together in one form or fashion, and how everything feels organic and not forced.

This is firmly in my top 5 of the generation, but by the end it may be one of my top games of all time.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #128 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 09:00:17 AM »
Also, I encountered the best note placement of all time last night:

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #129 on: Wednesday, March 27, 2013, 10:34:37 AM »
Hahaha... yeah, but wait 'till you get a bit further. You'll probably find that one again at an even more appropriate place.

But yeah, I'm in agreement with you on that assessment of the game, and that area too. I think basically everything from Anor Londo and beyond was just stellar. The game continues to ramp up all the way until the end, with very cool moments, great level design, beautifully artistic renderings of everything, and this went all the way up until the final boss fight which I was horribly frustrated by because it is hard. Gear yourself up for that. Because it kind of sucks a little bit, and when you lose, there's a pretty annoying run you have to make every single time. That for me was one of the few missteps of the game. I didn't mind the really harsh boss fight, but forcing you to get back to him each time was lame given how many times you have to die just to get some semblance of an idea about to actually beat him. I'm curious how you guys will find that to be when you get there.

Still, even that and the few other negatives one can levy against the game don't knock it more than a trifling amount downward for me. It really is stunning, and I love the fact that it continues to get more crazy and more stunning as it goes. Anor Londo made me feel so very... just... small and out of my depth. I could deal with the stuff there, and got pretty good at dealing with the enemies and such, but it never lost that wow feeling of something big and mighty that was no longer controlled, of a hugely concrete backstory that we only get to see bits and pieces of.

In fact, that's one of the things I loved most about the game. There's really very little straight-up story being told, yet if you read all the item descriptions and find all those tattered little pieces of the world that shape and describe it, you get such a great feeling of being a small part of something substantially bigger than you are, of events you get only the tiniest glimpse of that clearly reshaped what must have been a very different world, and reshaped it down to its roots. This amazed me, and no other game has done it exactly the way this has. At least not that I've played. It's easy to miss if you're the kind of person to just rush around and pay no attention, but if you do take your time to look at the details, the story reward is huge. It really gives every enemy and especially some of the key bosses a real context that they would otherwise lack.

I think that, beyond anything else, is what really cranked this game into true masterpiece territory for me. Great gameplay is essential to any game, but this one is firing on all cylinders, and with a methodology you just don't see much in modern games.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #130 on: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 01:22:15 PM »
Got a little farther in Anor Londo last night.  Found the knights with great bows and subsequently got impaled by a spear-sized arrow, which sent me flying off the bridge I was running toward them on.

The lightning demon dudes are no joke either.  Idol if you've got a lightning resist shield I'd have it handy for Anor Londo, for sure.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #131 on: Thursday, March 28, 2013, 01:43:58 PM »
Haha, now you know what I'm talking about. God, those fuckers. Ugh. At that one spot where you have to rush the dude, or try to take him out from a distance, then sandwiched by them on either side... god damn it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #132 on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 05:29:54 AM »
I was bitching to Idol about that part again last night on IRC, and was like "the hell with it, one more shot!"

This time I apparently scared the archer so much that he jumped off the building.  THANKFULLY there's a bonfire afterwards.  Unfortunately the area with the bonfire seems to be populated exclusively by silver knights, who at this point can wipe the floor with me unless I'm REAL careful.

I'm starting to think I was woefully unprepared for Anor Londo.  It's too far to go back now, though.  I know there's a blacksmith here, I just have to find him.  I am running dangerously low on arrows (Dark Souls crack), and I could stand to level some weapons and perhaps some armor.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #133 on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 06:44:49 AM »
One thing I love is how this game rewards exploration.  Think you can make a jump over to a ledge?  Chances are there's a treasure for your efforts.  I also like the hidden walls.  Last night I was able to find Havel's entire set with the dragon tooth.  I didn't equip it, but I'd say my Strength is nowhere near enough.  I've basically been power leveling my endurance trying to get it to 40 ASAP, so everything else has sort of taken a back seat.

Also, Idol, once you get past those archers just start making a habit of attacking every chest you see.  Mimics are everywhere.

I am not sure how much farther in the game I have to go to finish it, but I have no clue what I'll play next.  This is going to be real tough to top.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #134 on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 03:34:39 PM »
Due to some of the things Kman has been describing, I decided it might be best if I leave Sens Fortress and do a little farming to upgrade my gear. I think my highest level weapon is a +6? Yeah, need to be upgrading. Luckily I was far enough in Sen's to unlock the shortcut, so there are only a couple snake dudes between me and the boss now. Note: going UP the shortcut is pretty easy because you can kill the mage and melee snakemen one at a time. Coming DOWN the shortcut after resting at the bonfire topside means the shortcut opens up right on one of the snakemen and gets the attention of that mage. While you're in a cage. That opens onto a narrow bridge. With swinging blades. Yeah. Good part is there isn't any real major reason to even use the Sen's bonfire anymore. Even if the boss kills you, its not that far of a run from the Undead Parish. Guess that depends on how many times you have to make that run.

Big Hat should be at Firelink now. Might pay him a visit. But then I'll just farm some materials and souls, upgrade some shit, and then tackle the boss.

I know why they would never put this in, but I would love that at the end of the game you could unlock a "tourist" mode where all the enemies are gone. The level design is so amazing that I'd enjoy just being able to walk around an admire it.

EDIT

Fun moment before I left Sens. I was up on this big catwalk, with the broken section that leads to the merchant if you're brave enough to attempt the jump. Well I finally got the firmware updated on my PS3 so i was back online. Good thing, because up on that catwalk was a bloodstain. I thought it's probably from someone missing the jump, this should be funny. But no, the ghost ran the other direction, and then obviously got hit a couple times and died. There isn't anything obvious there so I of course walked slow and started spinning the camera around, and thats when I saw the archer high above. It was a cool moment that made me appreciate the blood stains.
« Last Edit: Friday, March 29, 2013, 06:43:04 PM by idolminds »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #135 on: Friday, March 29, 2013, 09:10:02 PM »
You've got a good ways yet, K. It's over the halfway point, I think, but there's still plenty of good stuff ahead.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #136 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 06:52:26 AM »
I've only been able to play sporadically since I posted that last update.  I was able to farm about 30 humanity down in the depths, and I farmed a balder side sword before I left yesterday.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to take advantage of my humanity level (4 right now) and farm some more green titaninte so I can elemental upgrade some weaponry.  Course that means a trip to the catacombs.  Thankfully Idol says it's cake down there, so I'm all for that.

I just know gear wise I'm not ready for the rest of Anor Londo.  I also need to decide which armor set I want to upgrade.  I haven't upgraded any armor yet.  I think the game sort of plays toward being able to parry/roll around with ease, so it likely needs to be a set of light armor.  What did you guys end up using as your endgame set?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #137 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 08:16:49 AM »
Well, since I gave away my PS3 copy a certain friend gifted this to me for PC, hoping to change my mind about it. Speaking of which it is apparently $15 on Amazon.com right now. I'll give it a fair shot and see how I feel about it after reading about your exploits.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #138 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 08:23:33 AM »
Not to take it off topic, but thank for your Steam gift the other day!  I forgot to tell you.

I installed the PC version the other night.  Make sure to grab the resolution fix.  If I didn't already have 45 hours invested in the PS3 version I'd move to the PC.  It runs much, much better.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #139 on: Monday, April 01, 2013, 10:09:21 AM »
Any time dude :) I love you guys, and the only way I can express it is by words on here or pseudo-material digital gifts! :P

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #140 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 03:35:25 PM »
Well nothing new to report here. I'm still getting myself...situated before I continue. I want to level up some gear and get my INT up so Big Hat will sell to me. So thats mainly what Ive been doing.

This post is for some interesting Dark Souls news. PC mod allows instant summoning of your friends. It raises the priority of people in your friends list when you go to summon, either co-op or PvP. So if you want to actually play with your friends it is now super easy to do on PC. Pretty neat, even if thats not really how the system is supposed to work.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #141 on: Wednesday, April 03, 2013, 09:45:09 PM »
I checked out the default game on PC and I was pretty shocked with how bad the framerate and resolution were. Durante's DSFix makes some remarkable strides in not only remedying these issues but adding features to improve the visuals altogether e.g. Ambient Occlusion, FXAA, etc. If you're on PC don't go without the DSFix!

I'm getting a little further in the game.. Still feeling so.. alone. It helps that I have you guys and some other friends pushing me to go further.

That's what happened to me with the original Neverwinter Nights. When I first played it I hated it, if it weren't for Pug pushing me to keep playing I would have written it off, instead I wound up discovering one of my favourite games. I'm not expecting Dark Souls to be the same but I want to give it a fair chance. Even if I still end up disliking it at least I'll have good reason rather than just early impressions.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #142 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 05:03:13 AM »
It takes a minute to hit your stride in Dark Souls, but once you do the game really starts to open up.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #143 on: Thursday, April 04, 2013, 06:56:24 AM »
My past few play sessions have been spent down in the depths farming souls and green titanite.  I've managed to farm somewhere in the neighborhood of 70 humanity with about 40-45 green titanite.  Not to mention about 60 large titanite shards.  I wonder how much green titanite I'll need, though.  I'm not planning on getting crazy stupid ascending a bunch of weapons to +5 elemental, but I'd like enough to experiment.  I am getting souls for my trouble on a decidedly easy farming run, though.  So I've been able to level a few times while I've been down here, with enough stock to level another couple times (once I figure out where I want to spend the stat points).

I've also been playing without a HUD during these farming sessions in an attempt to remove some of the image retention I've encountered while playing (well documented in the IRC channel).  I don't think it's permanent, as it has faded significantly, but I want to get it evened out again before I cause permanent damage with the next 50-60 hours of play.  I'm also going to play with the contrast down a tad.

I hit 50 hours of play last night, and apparently I have a long, long way to go.  I bought Pyro's sealed copy for 20 bucks, but looking back I could have paid full price and been incredibly happy.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #144 on: Friday, April 05, 2013, 06:23:44 AM »
OK.  At 80 Humanity, 60 large titanite shards, and 50 green titanite, I believe I'm done farming for a while.  I have leveled my endurance to 38.  2 more and I have to start thinking about what else I want to put points into.  Apparently Dex and Str are terrible stats to upgrade.  Reading some forums and such it appears I'd be better off putting points into faith and intelligence (and then vitality) because elemental weapons are some of the best in the game.  Apparently they lose the scale bonus when you make them elemental.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #145 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 06:35:47 AM »
SPOILERS GALORE for some of The Bosses & Later Areas in the below link...

For all you Dark Souls fans...
GameTrailers -> Their Top 10 Dark "Trolls".
« Last Edit: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:40:45 AM by MysterD »

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #146 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:17:56 AM »
For all you Dark Souls fans...
GameTrailers -> Their Top 10 Dark "Trolls".

TO ANYONE PLAYING THE GAME, THAT VIDEO HAS SOME SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THE BOSSES AND LATER AREAS IN THE GAME.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #147 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:40:22 AM »
TO ANYONE PLAYING THE GAME, THAT VIDEO HAS SOME SPOILERS FOR SOME OF THE BOSSES AND LATER AREAS IN THE GAME.

I thought this was a Spoilers Galore loaded thread...
Anyways, I added a warning before the link.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #148 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:54:31 AM »
It is, but that's because K and Idol are detailing their experiences. They still haven't gone through the game, though, so while they're warning everyone else about all the spoilers they're posting, I'm sure they don't want any themselves.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 11:01:35 AM »
It is, but that's because K and Idol are detailing their experiences. They still haven't gone through the game, though, so while they're warning everyone else about all the spoilers they're posting, I'm sure they don't want any themselves.
I got cha! Makes more sense now.

I still ain't finished Dark Souls: PTD (PC) either...
This game...I just suck at it.
{Shrug}

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #150 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 12:06:07 PM »
I got cha! Makes more sense now.

I still ain't finished Dark Souls: PTD (PC) either...
This game...I just suck at it.
{Shrug}

You are not alone. I'm trying it, getting further than I did with the PS3 version, although that was just a loathsome experience.

I'm trying to give it a fair chance but I just keep finding reasons to despise it.. Like no pause button, whcih I'm trying to counter by convincing myself it's an MMO.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #151 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 01:14:51 PM »
No pausing isn't so bad. Most enemies dont roam and if they do you have to be in their "zone" before they will start. So you can backtrack a little bit and just stand there and nothing will bother you.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #152 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 01:30:45 PM »
No pausing isn't so bad. Most enemies dont roam and if they do you have to be in their "zone" before they will start. So you can backtrack a little bit and just stand there and nothing will bother you.
Yeah, that's what I'm resorting to. The problem is there's always stuff going on around the house and when I start combat I am quite often interrupted by something or someone, being able to pause at a moment's notice is a welcome luxury.

Gotta admit, Dragon's Dogma is still trumping this. Both games can be repetitious and unforgiving, there's just something nicer about Dragon's Dogma.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »
Gotta admit, Dragon's Dogma is still trumping this. Both games can be repetitious and unforgiving, there's just something nicer about Dragon's Dogma.
At least Dark Souls got a freaking PC port...

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #154 on: Saturday, April 06, 2013, 10:31:20 PM »
At least Dark Souls got a freaking PC port...
Yeah, that's true. I don't know why Capcom keep making weird porting decisions. They'll port DmC, Street Fighter, Street Fighter X Tekken, Lost Planet, Resident Evil, and even Bionic Commando but not Dragon's Dogma. Weird.

With Dark Souls, at least now that blotchy visuals and poor framerates are not in the way I am getting at the core of the gameplay relatively unhindered. Btw, what good does Reverse Hollowing do besides make me look human?

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #155 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
Btw, what good does Reverse Hollowing do besides make me look human?

When you are human you have more HP, you can kindle bonfires with Humanity to get more Estus Flasks, summon other players and NPCs into boss battles, and invade other players and be invaded yourself.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #156 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 05:48:28 AM »
When you are human you have more HP, you can kindle bonfires with Humanity to get more Estus Flasks, summon other players and NPCs into boss battles, and invade other players and be invaded yourself.
Ah ok.. Not sure if I skipped that notification.. I thought it was just cosmetic. Also I have to kindle bonfires? I thought they were just always lit!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #157 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 06:44:37 AM »
Kindling them increases the number of flasks they'll refill. You don't have to kindle all of them (and it would really be pointless to), but certain ones you realize you're going to be using all the time are well worth doing this, as it's a permanent effect that just costs 1 humanity (though two if you're dead, since you have to go human again first to do it). Everyone in the area online will also randomly receive a boost to their flasks when you do it, and sometimes you'll get a random boost when someone else kindles one of theirs. You can kindle them up to 3 times past their default state, so you can get a fire to refill 20 flasks max.

Humanity is a core element of the game. That's not a good thing to skip over.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #158 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 06:54:17 AM »
So that's why I'd have 11 or 12 flasks at random.

I was wondering what was up with that.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #159 on: Sunday, April 07, 2013, 12:58:58 PM »
Yeah, I was confused why it would sometimes give me 10 flasks and sometimes 5.

I think my biggest gripe so far is that I don't understand the game! It doesn't explain anything about its mechanics other than how to use the equipment menu!I would think a crucial element such as Humanity would have warranted a thorough explanation! All the game tells me is this vague description "This black sprite is called humanity, but little is known about its true nature. If the soul is the source of all life, then what distinguishes the humanity we hold within ourselves?" Just a philosophical quandary. It says nothing about what it does or what its used for within the context of the game.

I think I'm struggling with Dark Souls because I crave structure. Without some form of direction I'm just inclined to sit around the campfire and do nothing. All I'm told is that I'm a newly risen undead, apparently, and I have to do something... No idea what... Am I supposed to escape? Defeat a great villain? Other than having been carried over by an awesome giant crow I really have no idea why I'm there or where I ought to be going.. I just move where I can when I can despite the odds being stacked heavily against me. I think I'll just keep killing the nearby undead then respawning them and killing them over and over until I'm stronger.