Author Topic: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer - shmup fans rejoice?  (Read 572 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer - shmup fans rejoice?
« on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 10:34:25 PM »
Basically, this came out on PC and was well received, though some had issues with it.  It was a good shmup with really pretty graphics and a good soundtrack, and the PC packaging was quite substantial, including a booklet with lots of backstory, art, and game info.  Now there's a retooled PS3 release you can grab on PSN for ten bucks, and it's apparently much better than the PC version was.  I guess the developer is very active on their forums, and they've spent a lot of time talking with fans and listening to complaints.  It's a shame that this didn't result in a brand-new PC version with all the improvements, but I imagine their sales had to be somewhat lacking on that platform.  It's a niche genre to begin with, and not one with a tremendously big PC legacy.

Anyway, the basic idea is a chain system: shoot guys until you build up a meter, then switch your weapon and start building more chain.  Do this repeatedly and you get tougher and tougher chains to complete, and there's a bonus at the end of each, eventually making your ship much more powerful.  And, of course, since this is a super-tough shooter along the lines of Ikaruga, this is absolutely necessary to progression, and knowing which weapon to have out at any given time is pretty helpful too.  A lot of people complained that they felt really underpowered, but I think that's somewhat intentional, because it makes the choice of weapon at any given time a more important one.

I tried it out earlier and I quite enjoyed it.  I think this is one I'll be picking up.  Ten bucks on PSN doesn't seem like a bad deal at all.

The last shot there you can see has a different interface.  That's the PC version.  I think I actually prefer the HUD there, but I guess it's clearer and more informative in practice on PS3, if a bit less sleek.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
Re: Söldner-X: Himmelsstürmer - shmup fans rejoice?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 11:05:57 PM »
That looks pretty sweet, I'll have to check that out.