Community > General Discussion

Monitors

<< < (2/10) > >>

iPPi:
Yea, one of the drawbacks of having an ultrawide is that it's a single screen with tons of real estate but sometimes productivity can be a challenge.  I've heard there are ways to split the screen space up either using a tool or even Windows' built-in snap features. 

In any event, I will probably keep the 23" on the side as well to ensure that, to the extent that I work on my desktop PC, I can.  I do all my work on my work laptop anyway.

Will be waiting for Dell to have a sale in Canada on the monitor.  It's way too expensive at regular price and a dealbreaker.

Xessive:
The Alienware AW3418DW is a gorgeous monitor and generally scored well in reviews. I haven't tried it myself but it was on my list when I was looking at ultrawides as a potential option. The other 3 I was looking at were the Asus, Acer, and LG. With LG having the most affordable option (the LG 29UC88 close to $300).

The main reasons I ended up opting against ultrawide are cost, gaming, and that the trade-off did not add significantly to productivity. I was still doing fine with a dual monitor setup. In fact, I ended up going with multi-system setup (two PCs linked) thanks to helpful utilities like Multiplicity. But that's another topic.

The cost of ultrawide is still too high and while I can see it being useful for certain fields it's not all that utilitarian for most people.

For me, I'd rather spend that amount on a significantly higher spec 16:9 screen (whether it's 4K or 1440p).

Unless you're in dire need, I wouldn't recommend buying a new monitor just yet. I'd estimate waiting till March (if not sooner) when Asus and Acer will announce their new monitors and the release dates of their previously announced HDR monitors. You'll either find something new you want or the prices will drop on something you're eyeing now.

Quemaqua:
Curiosity: why is having more monitors better for productivity as opposed to one big one? I've gotten used to my dual-monitor setup, but the primary advantage is being able to full-screen certain applications on the other screen easily, or snap things to the edges of that screen.

gpw11:
I find it really easy to just have a PDF open on one screen full screen and a spreadsheet, cad program, or whatever else open on the other.  That said, yeah, I could just snap to split screen on a larger monitor. 

ren:
Snapping is good but it really only helps you do a 50/50 split. With dual monitors you can snap on each of them which gives way more options.

Dual monitors also give you a separate taskbar for each screen which makes it a lot easier to manage windows than an alt+tab screen that goes on forever.

Snapping is also just not ideal for some applications; operating in full screen can be easier.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version