Author Topic: Civilization 5: A brave new world  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Civilization 5: A brave new world
« on: Thursday, July 11, 2013, 02:21:35 PM »
IGN gave it a 9.4, Gamespot gave it a 9.5! If you read the reviews you will go HOLY FUCK!

I've put in 220+ hours into this game and its first expansion already. I can already see my life ending after I am done with StarCraft 2.

http://www.gamespot.com/sid-meiers-civilization-v-brave-new-world/reviews/civilization-v-brave-new-world-review-6411136/?tag=Topslot;Slot2

Brave New World isn't just the best Civilization has ever been; it stands as one of the most expertly crafted strategy games in recent memory.

Just reading that makes me so excited, considering I've just been living the game in the last few months.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Civilization 5: A brave new world
« Reply #1 on: Thursday, July 11, 2013, 02:50:28 PM »
I wish I could buy this on GOG.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #2 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 08:53:54 AM »
Thanks in part to last year's Steam Summer sale, I've got all the little "expansions" for this game.  I really need to devote more time to it considering how great IV was.

Civ is really one of my all-time favorite series. 

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Friday, July 12, 2013, 12:37:39 PM »
Just bought Brave New World for $20. 30% off on the Steam sale.

WOOH!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 09:56:13 AM »
I have CivV and I'll have to keep my eyes on this.  Haven't played CivV in some time.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, July 13, 2013, 03:22:04 PM »
FYI my copy of gods and kings came with a revised tech tree poster and such.  so if you enjoy such things it's probably wise to wait on a sale for the hard copy of this expansion.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, July 14, 2013, 05:50:33 AM »
Have started playing 'A Brave New World'. Put in a sleepy hour.

The changes are fantastic and already apparent. You now trade through 'caravans' ala Civ games of the past. These caravans are constantly on the move, so it is a good idea to keep the area safe.

Get Civilization 5 gold (50% off on Steam). You can also upgrade to it. It has all the DLC and first expansion. Then you can get this second expansion.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 05:13:27 AM »
does this make the game better than IV?  Because, honestly, that's why I haven't put a TON of time into Civ V.  It felt like a step backwards in some regard.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday, July 16, 2013, 01:34:51 PM »
GMG has a 30% off coupon for Brave New World (among other titles).

Voucher: GMG30-LY2G6-UKDYY

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 12:25:29 PM »
does this make the game better than IV?  Because, honestly, that's why I haven't put a TON of time into Civ V.  It felt like a step backwards in some regard.

Along with the first expansion, this is definitely as good as Civ 4 (and expansions) if not somewhat better.

The second expansion has made things more challenging. Maybe I just had already played so much that the changed economics made it a challenge, but I had to quit the first two games I started with 'A Brave New World' because I had no chance of winning.

Religion is really important now. You can ignore it, but it is a crucial weapon and you must use it. I advise upping culture and happy bonuses with religion.

War is really good and strategic now. AI is still a touch wonky. Civilization 2's combat was brutal. The hex thing is finally sorted and taking effect.

The biggest change with the expansion is that until the later stages, you can't really just keep pumping military units because maintaining a huge army is difficult. You have to be really careful about how you plan things out. I'd advise that you keep up the religious and cultural bonuses because you will need to unlock that stuff. It is what can be a lifesaver.

I am making it all sounding really mechanical, but it is all a real blast and huge fun.

My favorite changes:

1. Caravans. You still establish trade routes by connecting your cities through roads, which is essential. But using caravan you not only gain gold from city-states, but gold, culture, science and religious bonuses from other civs.

2. I have to say the worst thing about Civ 5 was the end game. It all became tedious as you knew where things were headed. Even if you were winning, you just had to keep hitting 'next turn' to finish the whole thing.

A Brave New World rocks the end game. Towards the final portion all sorts of neato changes start happening. Well, remember all those barbarian camps you destroyed? Archeological sites are now in their place, and you can create an archeologist to discover dig sites where you can find works of art OR create tourist spots that boosts your culture. All awesome stuff.

Then you have the United Nations, which is called the world council initially. You can really use this for the game's civilizations to take on fun group projects like the Olympics, world fairs etc. Rewards include various bonuses. You can also use it to place embargos on evil nations, or use it strategically to ban certain exports. It is really sweet.

The fun thing is that not everyone will like what you propose at the world council, so it is quite political.

Now the main change in the game is the culture. You have the culture tree which keeps unlocking sweet bonuses. The higher your cultural output, the faster you unlock stuff, right? Well, the world wonders you create have cool bonuses where they have spots open for works of art.

When great artists are born you can place their art in these world wonders. Also, the art the archeologists dig up can also be placed in these world wonders. All of this boosts your tourism, and creates 'influence' on other civs. Basically, the cultural victory has now been revamped so that the winner wins by having the greatest tourism.

Regarding science and military victories, they are the same, but the revamped cultural tree affects them greatly. It is all hella cool.

3. The way you interact with other civs has gone through a nice little change. While all diplomatic info was available before, now you can have everything highlighted for you by just placing your mouse on top of their name. Well, on top of how they feel towards you, for example on "friendly''. So anyway, if a civ is upset, you can see why. It will immediately tell you they are upset because you proposed something at the world council they didn't like, or you settled on a land they wanted etc. Actually, nothing is confusing, and all information is always available. For example, whatever you consider at the world council, the game will let you know how the other civs are likely to react. It is admirable how much information the game presents to you in an easy to digest manner.

Bottom line: If you've only played vanilla Civ 5, get both expansions and you are in for a treat. This is definitely up there with Civ 2 and Civ 4.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #10 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 05:42:42 PM »
Being someone that hasn't play Civ 5... of any Civ game, would you recommend playing this over starting with vanilla Civ 5?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, July 20, 2013, 10:48:08 PM »
I would definitely, though I think if you bought Civ5 gold on the Steam sale, which again includes all the DLC and the first expansion, I am sure you will still have a lot of fun.

If anyone playing their first Civ needs assistance, just let me know.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 07:42:08 AM »
So I am near the end for the first time with A Brave New World. I have to say, the end game just feels like a different game completely. It is highly engrossing and an entirely different challenge now that all the civs are done expanding and are engaging in trade, diplomacy, and war.

Really fucking awesome, and yes, Civ 5 is better than Civ 4 now. Pretty amazing how the last quarter of this game is so fresh and addictive.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 01:21:13 PM »
Nice. I played around 18 hours of vanilla Civ 5 (according to Steam) and I really enjoyed. Other games got in the way, but at some point I'll get back into it. I'm still a complete newb to the series (even though I played a bunch of Civ 3 and AC), but it's still fun just winging it. :)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #14 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 03:12:42 PM »
I grabbed the expansion today from Best Buy.

Pug we need to hook up online sometime...and anyone else for that matter.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Sunday, July 21, 2013, 10:01:13 PM »
Have you tried multiplayer Civ before?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #16 on: Monday, July 22, 2013, 06:13:01 AM »
Not V, but I played a decent amount of IV online.  With human opponents, the dynamic changes significantly.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #17 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 06:29:10 AM »
In the game I'm playing I have yet to attack anyone (except for defending against/hunting down barbs), but I've got to see some of the new systems in play.  It does feel like a more complete game already.  Can't wait to see what end game brings.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #18 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 07:37:33 AM »
So I just won for the first time after installing the expansion. I got a diplomatic victory, which was a lot of fun.

I normally play with random continents, 30+ city states, max possible civs, and the second slowest game place. So the issue is that the game slows to almost 30 seconds between turns during the end game, because there is so much going on, but still a bit annoying.

BTW, if you like to play with a lot of city states, my best advice is to AVOID the Greeks at all cost.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Thursday, July 25, 2013, 08:56:04 AM »
the lapse between turns would bother me to no end.  Although games that large are tons of fun.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #20 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 08:39:56 AM »
I had touched on this with Idol a few days ago.  Generally it's interesting to find out the mechanics and inner workings of games in order to exploit them to maximum efficiency.  But for some reason with Civ I really don't want to "see the sausage being made".  I enjoy the series much more playing like it is a truly organic world and not positioning for a certain type of victory.

Sure, it makes me a terrible *competitive* civ player, but man I sure do enjoy creating these worlds.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Friday, July 26, 2013, 10:54:40 AM »
I had touched on this with Idol a few days ago.  Generally it's interesting to find out the mechanics and inner workings of games in order to exploit them to maximum efficiency.  But for some reason with Civ I really don't want to "see the sausage being made".  I enjoy the series much more playing like it is a truly organic world and not positioning for a certain type of victory.

Sure, it makes me a terrible *competitive* civ player, but man I sure do enjoy creating these worlds.
I think that's the exact reason I had avoided Civ games for so long. It wasn't until Civ 5 that I finally took the plunge and enjoyed it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Saturday, July 27, 2013, 12:32:08 AM »
I agree with what your are saying K-Man. I was the same way.