Author Topic: The Forbidden Kingdom  (Read 4283 times)

Offline PyroMenace

The Forbidden Kingdom
« on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 11:03:22 AM »
This is like the Kung Fu event of the decade. Jet Li and Jackie Chan finally together in a movie, both as rivals and as partners. I'm down.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: The Forbidden Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 04:04:57 PM »
That's interesting.  Jet Li makes serious stories, while Jackie Chan clowns around.  What tone is this movie going to take?

Edit:  OK, so Li will be the straight man, Chan will be more lighthearted/comedy relief.  At least that's what I gathered from the trailer.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #2 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 05:24:54 PM »
It's taken so long for them to make a movie together, and when they finally do it's got some random white kid in it...hm.
As long as it doesn't turn out to be Warriors of Virtue 2, I'll be ok.  Hopefully.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, March 22, 2008, 05:40:25 PM »
I'm down as well.  I'll say this... it doesn't look bad.  But the random white kid is annoying, mostly because I think that guy is stupid.  I don't know where I've seen him, but I've seen him somewhere, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't good.  Also, the fact that it's in English just doesn't seem right on any level at all.  Still, the rest of it looked good enough that I'd very much rather hope it has potential than spend time worrying about it being crappy.  I'll wait and see, but if it's actually good, I'd go to the theater for it.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 02:47:57 AM »
I really want this to be good, but I am doubtful.

It just looks like it is going to be playful/comedic instead of serious.  Personally, I don't like the former in martial arts types of movies.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, March 23, 2008, 06:25:59 AM »
I am think Toxy. My favorite Kung fu flicks are the no nonsense, no Asian magic, serious kick your ass flicks. So yes, all of Bruce Lee's work especially. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday, March 25, 2008, 11:02:25 PM »
I am think Toxy. My favorite Kung fu flicks are the no nonsense, no Asian magic, serious kick your ass flicks. So yes, all of Bruce Lee's work especially. :)
Yep, same here.

I never really understood or appreciated the 'mystical Asian flying' crap.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 12:20:09 AM »
The mystical flying stuff is more of a homage to our literary history.  Our legends and fairy tales are full of these things and it's enjoyable to see facets of our history on the screen.  Sure, a lot of it is fluff nowadays, but you go back to the 70's and 80's you get really compelling stuff.  And I assure you, it isn't crap. 

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 03:57:30 AM »
The mystical flying stuff is more of a homage to our literary history.  Our legends and fairy tales are full of these things and it's enjoyable to see facets of our history on the screen.  Sure, a lot of it is fluff nowadays, but you go back to the 70's and 80's you get really compelling stuff.  And I assure you, it isn't crap. 
When I'm watching something that has mythical reference I can enjoy the fantasy, as long as it fits within the theme.. But when I'm watching an ass-kicking contest (in any cultural setting) I don't really enjoy too much fluff.

That's one reason I didn't really enjoy Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 05:53:34 AM »
I liked Crouching Tiger for its romance, its beautiful choreography... and of course Zhang Ziyi ;). I didn't like it as a movie with martial arts as its selling point, which unfortunately was what it was portrayed as by film critics in the Western media. It was a good wuxia film, and stood apart from others because of its big budget, and highly focused narrative.

The movie had an indifferent reception in Asia, because to those who had grown up on such films, it wasn't anything above average. In fact I watched it twice, with differerent friends, all of Asian background, and everyone walked away disappointed. Everyone felt it wasn't very different from what they had grown up on. Interestingly, all my North American friends were left delighted by the movie.

My point is that to appreciate that movie, you have to take the maritals arts as the salad dressing. If you've watched a lot of wuxia film, you will note that at some point the story twists can get too ridiculous, and the narrative can resort to too many cliches. That's where Crouching Tiger was different; where suspension of disbelief came easily.

But yes, the action sequences weren't terribly exciting. It was the sort of film that appealed especially -- not solely -- to those who wouldn't be caught dead watching a martial arts movie. In the end, the hype coming from those who suddenly felt "cultured" by liking Crouching Tiger, may have ruined the experience for everyone else.

edit:

Must add that Hero was pretty awesome.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, March 26, 2008, 08:48:10 AM »
Hero was art. It was a celebration of sight and thought.

Sadly, the way it was marketed and advertised did not do it justice. Everyone I watched it with in Canada went in with the impression that they're about to watch a massive war martial arts movie (myself included). That's how it was advertised. It looked like there were massive armies about to clash, and fierce battles would ensue. Everyone came out of the theatre disappointed. I didn't appreciate it until I watched it a second time at home on DVD, and I took the time to absorb it and appreciate its value visually and emotionally.

Movie trailers and previews have to be very careful about what they portray. The audience has to have an idea what to expect.

Here's a good (and funny) example of a misleading trailer :P The Shining (Alternate Trailer)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, April 02, 2008, 01:53:12 PM »
I must agree w/ everyone on Hero.
That is one of the best martial arts movies I've ever seen.
Not only was the action great, but the movie itself was a beautiful work of art to watch on screen.

I liked Crouching Tiger a lot, but it was not Hero.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #12 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 12:42:09 AM »
Well this movie opened this weekend and a friend and I went to go see it. I must say I was pretty well satisfied with what I saw. Its a very light hearted movie, with some good comedic moments and a pretty decent mythical story. Its just a really well done kung fu adventure flick, I loved it. The american character that everyone was worried about didnt really come off as all that bad, wasnt great either but he didnt get in the way of it all really. Oh and the fight scene with Jet Li and Jackie Chan was completely awesome and well worth seeing for that alone. You guys should definitely check it out.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, April 20, 2008, 10:32:55 AM »
I'm just glad to hear it wasn't a total bomb.  I might go see it if Julia wants to get out for a movie.  Thanks for telling us!

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野