Author Topic: Q3A 08-29-2008 - FRIDAY NIGHT at 7:00PM! - Practice up for Quake Live!  (Read 15742 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Q3A 08-29-2008 - FRIDAY NIGHT at 7:00PM! - Practice up for Quake Live!
« on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:00:31 PM »
 :-[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- :-[
Server Status -
Come play at 67.180.28.170:29760 -

As of 7:00PM pac, 09-26-2008:
We'll shoot for next week.
 :-[-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- :-[

******* See the official OWnet FNFF page to get all the custom maps you'll need to play, and you can download the custom models/skins individual players use there (so you can see them in-game and be all happy).  Let me know if you plan to play and want your own model linked to.

News - 09-12-2008 -

Come play!  We're up as of 7:30PM pac time!  Server will auto-download the mod if you enable your downloads.

As always, head over to TFMA and the FNFF page if you haven't already, and grab some maps and mods if you haven't yet.

The release of Quake Live is imminent (well, maybe not, but close enough), and your skills are rusty.  Come on, you know they are.  And since I can't get anybody to play Quake Wars with me, and our Quake 2 fun didn't last quite as long as I'd hoped (though it was completely awesome for the couple days it lasted), idol and I are now sponsoring a Quake 3 server!  At least we're setting one up and I'm running it.  We had a long IRC chat about it earlier, and I was remembering all my old cohorts over at PlanetQuake[/i] and how much I missed playing with them...

I'm the 3rd guy in the 2nd row... the guy who took the picture didn't have my skin, but that's okay.  I found this and just about died of nostalgia.  It almost hurt I remember those days so well.  Just before I left PlanetQuake and ended up at AOG.

So fuck it!  I'm tired of waiting for Quake Live, and I'm tired of half-assed servers of mine going nowhere, and damn it, Quake 3 was the pinnacle of my online gaming obsession back in the day.  So idol and I are hunting down models, mods, and maps, and once we get a solid stable of stuff ready to go, I'll try to compile it all into a bit, fat, instant-play server pack so you guys can download, unzip, and be ready to just jump on with some good stuff.  And I'm not taking no for an answer.  Unless, you know... you guys say no and don't show up.  But I'm doing all this regardless, because I just can't wait anymore, and playing Q3 again just felt so stinking good.  So come play!

Firstly, setting up the game is easier than ever:

Step 1 - Download ioQuake3 -

Head over to ioquake3.org and grab the download (here is the Win x86 executable at 26MB... and there are OS X, Linux, and Solaris versions available).  Includes latest id pk3 patch stuff, so no patching is needed.  In fact, no installation of Q3 is needed at all!  Just install ioQ3, copy over the appropriate PK3 files from your Quake 3 and/or Team Arena CD, and that's it!  You're golden!  This is the Quake 3 engine but improved with some bugfixes and other stuff.  Works everywhere, so you shouldn't have to worry about being refused at other servers or anything.  It effectively replaces the original engine without causing problems (though you can forget about Punkbuster servers, which shouldn't be a big issue in Quake 3 these days anyway, since it never worked right).

Step 2 - JOIN USSS - do it now! -

Allow downloads, because we're running the Unlagged mod to help with latency issues, and idol reports great success with it thus far.  The explanation is a bit drawn out, but it seems to be a fair way to keep things even by the server keeping timestamps for hitscan weapons, and it's been integrated into a number of mods with good success.  We trust it to be fair and apparently so do a lot of people.  The client-side download is like 94k, so no worries about anything major, though you're welcome to download the 2.01 package yourself if you want to (and I'll probably include it in the full .ZIP whenever idol and I finish getting it together, just in the interests of being complete).

Server can be found at 67.180.28.170:29760 (that's the default port, shouldn't be necessary to enter it).  Right now we're just running standard maps with a couple bots and the Unlagged mod, so if you allow downloads you should be able to grab the mod and jump right in.  Later, we'll get more custom models and maps running, and probably after that I'll set up another server or two with some mods.

Yes, I'd very much like to start up the old Friday Night Frag Fest tradition, so I'll likely set up a cool mod server every Friday for a while and play, even if it just ends up being idol and I and some bots.

Anyway, come play!  And if you're looking for more cool stuff, check out Tastyspleen's Quake Expo 2008, which is happening now!  I'm sure idol will be going through stuff in the next few days and can point you toward any relevant fun to be had.  Expect lots of original Quake stuff, with some Q2 and Q3 for good measure.

Hope to see you on the server, and once I have some information on next Friday's happening, I'll post it.  Link to a good .ZIP with server stuff coming soon!

EDIT - If you're looking for a server browser, we've been checking out qtracker, which works pretty well and supports a whole bunch of games.  Though you can favorite the OWnet server from within ioQ3 by simply going to "server info" in the menu (after joining) and hitting the "add to favorites" link there.  After doing that, it'll show up in your "favorites" filter within the game's own server browser, which is functional, if aging.

EDIT x2 - First map pack is up!  Check out the link at the top!

EDIT x3 - Link to our FNFF page is now up (see top for details).
« Last Edit: Wednesday, April 01, 2009, 07:51:04 AM by idolminds »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Play OWnet Q3A! - prepare for Quake Live! - also, Quake Expo 2008!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:05:02 PM »
You know, I got Q3A, but I never bought Q3A: Team Arena...

EDIT:
Does that IOQuake3 Download include Q3A: TA stuff?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:08:56 PM »
Yeah, most people didnt get TA. Which was too bad, because it wasn't so bad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:10:04 PM »
Yeah, most people didnt get TA. Which was too bad, because it wasn't so bad.

Anywhere still selling Quake 3: TA?
Or Quake 3: Gold Edition (Q3A + Q3A: TA)?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #4 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 01:46:37 PM »
Beats me. Google around.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 02:00:32 PM »
There are editions of Q3 which include Team Arena (you might also see it called just the "mission pack", and it's the same thing).  You don't require that just to play vanilla Q3 with us, though.  Not unless we set something up later (maybe we can do some CTF and junk).

EDIT - See original post for update.  We're playing custom maps right at the moment.  Feel free to join if you don't mind downloading the maps!
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 05:40:10 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:21:05 PM »
Whoa -- the game won't load whatever map y'all got going.
Where can I get the custom maps y'all running?

This feels so old school -- where I need to find somewhere to DL the maps, hehe.
The new games, if a custom map is being run, the game forces you to DL it....

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 07:30:34 PM »
Check your Q3 settings.  Go to setup --> game options and turn "automatic downloading" on.  The server *should* let you download from it okay, but your game might not be set for it.  I think they turn that off by default.  Or if you want, you can find us on IRC.  Connect to Quakenet with an IRC a client if you have one, or a browser plugin, and come to #Overwritten.  Or PM me if you want.

EDIT - Map tests are going on now.  If you want to join in, PM me or get on IRC so I can tell you what to download.  Server downloads were expected to be slower, but are even slower than anticipated.  This won't be a problem once we get stuff ready, but this is just a test for some maps to see what the "official" opening rotation will be.  Give me a buzz if you want to join up tonight.  We'll be testing another batch in the near future.
« Last Edit: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 08:10:46 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, August 17, 2008, 09:01:55 PM »
I'm dead tired. Work in the morn.
I'm off to bed.

If y'all are game, I should be around tomorrow, in the evening...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 01:02:46 AM »
We tested a good number of maps tonight, and the server is back to standard stock map rotation with some bots for now if any of you want somewhere to play through the night or in the morning.  I've got some much larger maps to go through tomorrow, stuff from 3 - 10 megs per map, so I'll be a lot pickier about which of those make the cut.  Hopefully I'll be able to get that done tomorrow night, then we can have a nice long custom map rotation and I'll zip up everything so people can download away.  I'll also make allowances for anybody that wants a spot to pick one custom model or skin they want, and I'll get a page going for all participants FNFF style where their individual model or skin can be linked to, that way everybody's got a unique thing for themselves that nobody else uses.  I'll probably just throw something up on my own webspace.

Anyway, this is all just FFA stuff for now, but we'll hopefully get some good CTF maps and whatever else before long too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #10 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 08:10:27 PM »
Bah!
I need a map pack to be DL'ed from off a normal location w/ some speed on my DSL!
Y'all keep running maps that take forever to DL from within Q3A!

EDIT:
Did y'all get some of the maps from any one site in particular?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 08:13:09 PM »
I told you man, we're running tests.  Look at the server status at the top of this thread before you join, I'll keep it updated.  I think tonight is our last night of testing, so we'll have a big fat map pack for you soon.

We're testing smaller levels now other than the huge ones that were up when you tried to join just now.  So in about... maybe 15 minutes those will be up, and those are like 1-2 megs for the most part.  So those won't take quite as long to download.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 08:16:02 PM »
Thanks for the heads up, Que.
I think I'm too tired, so I'm probably heading off soon, since I got work in the morn...

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #13 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 09:08:27 PM »
I'd join but my copy of Q3 is at my apartment. And I'm going there Saturday, but once I'm there my connection will suck. So...yeah. Unless you want a guy that disconnects every 10 minutes...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #14 on: Monday, August 18, 2008, 10:05:49 PM »
Doesn't matter to me.  Keeps your score low.  =D

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 08:08:14 PM »
Can't wait til it's up and running again.
And when you got that map pack up!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, August 19, 2008, 08:44:58 PM »
Okay, first map pack is up after several days of extensive testing!  Get it here at about 30 megs.  Rapidshare... can't be helped.  Shouldn't be too bad, it's small.  A bigger 70MB file is forthcoming, with another 14 really nice maps.  I'll give you guys some time to get that before I throw them on the server.

SO COME GET YOUR FRAG ON, BITCHES!

EDIT - Large map pack available now!  See opening post.
« Last Edit: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 12:58:04 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 01:39:33 PM »
Hell yeah!
*Starts downloading map pack #1*

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 10:12:31 PM »
I've put up an FNFF page over at TFMA.  It's crappy as hell, but it'll do.  Download custom models and skins for myself, idol, and sy if you like, and see the original post for more info. or if you want to get your own added.

Also, I really do want to get something regular going on Fridays.  And Friday night comes soon!  So if you guys have any preference for play time, mods you'd like to play, anything like that... suggest!  I'm happy to set the server up for some simple mods.

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 10:27:11 PM »
Haha, I love Sy's Space Marine skin, thats freakin great.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, August 20, 2008, 10:29:30 PM »
I've got a chaos space marine one too... haven't tried it out yet, heh.

EDIT - Man, so fun.

You can see Sy's skull grinding itself into the wall there.

The series of screens leading up to this was fun.  Idol was doing some impressive high-flying acrobatics to escape death.

Q3PONG2 is the best map ever.  the idea is there are two large jump pads taking up the whole back of either end of this long table-like level, and when you fire off one pad, it rockets you all the way across to the other.  There's stuff in the middle, but that's kind of not the point. The point is that you can either bounce back and forth on this huge thing trying to kill someone else doing the same, or you can fire off at bots or other players down in the middle as you go across the sky.  But we got inventive.  First, I decided I wanted to see if I could hit myself with my own rocket by firing it halfway through a jump, then colliding with it on the way back from the subsequent jump.  Idol and I spent way too much time on this.  I never got it.  Idol managed it with a BFG shot somehow, and I got close with rockets probably 8 dozen times, but I never got a direct hit.  A shame.  Next, I decided to see if I could rocket jump off the pad and send myself careening way outside the level.  The answer?  Yes.  This pic is of me getting ready to hit the skybox and fall to my death.
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 01:13:22 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #21 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 02:35:12 PM »
I unzipped the maps to my ioQuake/baseq3 folder, but was that Pong Map in either of the map packs?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #22 on: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 06:58:36 PM »
Yeah, that was in the small pack.  It's currently running on the server, though it isn't in the rotation.  We just switch to it when we want something a little different.

EDIT - FNFF page has been updated with links to all the individual maps that are in the packs, in case you want to see what you're getting (most links are directly to ..::LvL, who I'm also leaching the thumbnails from... I hope they don't hate me for that...).
« Last Edit: Thursday, August 21, 2008, 08:46:54 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
Re: Q3A FRIDAY NIGHT at 7:00PM! - Practice up for Quake Live!
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 22, 2008, 01:34:30 PM »
That's 7pm Pacific Time, since you in Cali, right?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 22, 2008, 06:48:01 PM »
Yep, 7 pac time.  I'll be hopping on in a few minutes.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #25 on: Friday, August 22, 2008, 09:21:22 PM »
That was fun as hell.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #26 on: Friday, August 22, 2008, 09:31:28 PM »
Indeed it was.  I'll get some screens and stuff up later.  Too bad more people didn't show, but hey... more than one and it's multiplayer!  More than 2 and it's not 1v1!

I was pretty tired, but I'm waking up a little now.  I might go play a little more, or set up a mod for later server use, or go figure out which stock maps to put in the rotation...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #27 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 05:31:57 AM »
I had a blast last night. Some of those maps y'all got running in that rotation was awesome -- the really tight ones w/ loads of portals and really congested. The action was just so fast and furious. Awesome. Absolutely awesome.

The space one was crazy w/ all the jump-trampolines, too!

Man, it's too bad I was so damn tired, that I fell asleep while we were playing (I do that a lot, these days, actually...) and then after waking up for a bit, I just couldn't keep hacking through it! Damn, I so wanted to keep going, but I was just beat....

I'm wide awake now, though....heh.

Oh yeah -- where does Q3A save any screenies you take within the game? I couldn't find them in the Q3A folder...

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #28 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 10:21:48 AM »
I don't know about stock Q3, but the ioQuake3 engine stores them in a really annoying place: #:/Documents and Settings/User/Application Data/Quake3/baseq3/screenshots - # of course being whatever drive you installed Windows to, and "User" being your login.  I took a ton of screens, so I'll sort 'em and post later today.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #29 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
Thanks, bro. I'll go through 'em later on.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #30 on: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 12:10:00 PM »
For now, the screens page is now active with a couple shots.  I'll need to sit down and fix some stuff since the images are huge (like a meg each for JPGs at 1280x1024), but it's there for now.  I won't be posting a lot of shots either, obviously, so I'll just post the really good ones from whatever night we play.  You guys can send me whatever good ones you take and I'll see which are worth posting.

EDIT - TFMA has been updated with a nice new graphic courtesy of idol for the main page, and the rest of the site has been somewhat redesigned/streamlined.  It's basically the same, but I tweaked a few things and added some stuff (like a nice links page with lots o' Quake-related junk).

Feedback is welcome!
« Last Edit: Saturday, August 23, 2008, 05:42:00 PM by Quemaqua »

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #31 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 04:57:45 AM »
Yo, Que -- where do you put all the character models?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #32 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »
Same as the maps.  All .PK3s go in the baseq3 directory, be they skins, models, or maps.  The only exception is mods, which usually go in their own directory within the Quake 3 directory.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #33 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 11:24:10 AM »
I now have the large maps.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #34 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 11:40:41 AM »
Woot!  Large maps are going on the server now, then!

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #35 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 01:31:08 PM »
Same as the maps.  All .PK3s go in the baseq3 directory, be they skins, models, or maps.  The only exception is mods, which usually go in their own directory within the Quake 3 directory.

Thanks, Que.
It's appreciated. :)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 03:19:17 PM »
Most things should have a readme attached to them telling you how to install, but that's the way pretty much everything works in general.  Later on once we decide on what mods to play (the ones up on the page now are just sort of for kicks, because they're cool mods), I'll likely do the same as the maps and zip all the things up so they can be easily installed in one shot, then upload that to Rapidshare again.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #37 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 03:20:59 PM »
Awesome, Que.

Are we in the future gonna be testing more maps and models and whatnot on here, too?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #38 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 03:32:24 PM »
Maybe.  Right now I just wanted to get a really solid stable of stuff that could be used for DM, TDM, and various mods that work around the same general principles and should be able to support the maps.  So nearly all the maps we have now will work fine for Freeze Tag or Corkscrew/instagib.  But at some point in the future I'll look into doing some more team oriented stuff maybe, if we get more people to come play, and we could start doing some CTF or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #39 on: Sunday, August 24, 2008, 04:38:42 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.