Author Topic: |||THE ULTIMATE MASS EFFECT 1 THREAD|||  (Read 77802 times)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
Re: Mass Effect 2 - PC DRM and system requirements revealed (Reply 22)
« Reply #320 on: Saturday, January 02, 2010, 03:31:33 PM »
Don't rush through it, though.  It's more satisfying if you give yourself a little time to stop and smell the roses. 
Especially w/ The Codex stuff.

I do suggest everybody who likes lore and all of that stuff reads and especially listens to The Best Codex ever put forth in a video game.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #321 on: Sunday, January 03, 2010, 02:37:37 AM »
Don't rush through it, though.  It's more satisfying if you give yourself a little time to stop and smell the roses.  I'm trying to do every side quest, and while that gets a little monotonous because a lot of them end up being pretty much exactly the same thing, they can still be fun.  If they manage to beef up that aspect of the game in 2, that'd be nice, though who knows if that'll even be in.  Dunno' if it'll fit the story... they might work some other way.  I do love the feeling of going out and exploring space, though.

Yeah, in my first play through I tried to do all the side quests but probably missed quite a few.  On my second I didn't even try.  I do really hope it is something they carry over and improve on though, because the actual planet exploration was very very tedious for me.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #322 on: Sunday, January 03, 2010, 07:24:31 AM »
I played through the first part of the game last night. Just got off of Eden Prime. Seems pretty cool. I'm still feeling my way around the game, trying to figure out exactly how the combat works and such. The world is interesting so far. I like it. Gonna put some time into it today.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: ||||||||||||||||||THE ULTIMATE MASS EFFECT 1 THREAD||||||||||||||||||
« Reply #323 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:36:09 AM »
So in anticipation of Mass Effect 2 (thank god PC is getting a simultaneous release this time), I finally started the first game. Normally I don't miss out on Bioware games for anything, but the DRM held me back, until the price became too good to release.

So far I just finished the first portion, and am really enjoying it. The game looks really good, especially the character skins, facial animations, and the textures. The game is really cinematic. I really love the soundtrack, as well. It is so... 80s sci fi. There is a bit of a sense of wonder to the game so far, especially because this feels so different from anything Bioware has done before. But I have a feeling the game will realize who developed it pretty soon, and the age old Bioware mechanics will become apparent.

Some of the interface and the inventory management was quite confusing for me early on. They could have handled that a bit better... because it doesn't seem to be color coded/organized well enough or something.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #324 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:36:53 AM »
I totally endorse the combining of all the Mass Effect threads (I think we had like 2 or 3 of these?) into one "ultimate" ME1 thread. :)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #325 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:48:05 AM »
Especially w/ The Codex stuff.

I do suggest everybody who likes lore and all of that stuff reads and especially listens to The Best Codex ever put forth in a video game.

What I like is how some of the more important codex is voiced as well. I wish they had done that for Dragon Age too.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #326 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 11:54:23 AM »
What I like is how some of the more important codex is voiced as well. I wish they had done that for Dragon Age too.

I was actually disappointed there was no voice-over for the Codex in DAO. With that aside, what's written in the DAO Codex still is very good.

But, yeah - for Codexes, Bioware truly set the standard here in ME for presentation. Best Codex I've ever seen and heard in a game.

Bioware's done a lot of great games over the years - but BG2, DAO, and ME are probably my top 3 from them.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #327 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 02:02:56 PM »
I don't think Mass Effect's codex was anywhere near as good as some others, but I still for some reason found it a great deal more compelling than Dragon Age's.  I'm usually such a sucker for that kind of thing, but DA's codex just bored the crap out of me.  I was really disappointed since everyone said it was the best thing ever and even though they never read that kind of thing in games, they did in that one.  I guess maybe that's why.  I really didn't get anything out of it.  Just slowed the game down for me.  I honestly don't know what the difference was, though.  Maybe it was just the content of the fiction rather than anything to do with the actual way it was written... dunno'.

My favorite is still Final Fantasy XII's, though, because they kind of managed to actually tie it to gameplay.  It wasn't great as a reference so much, but it worked really well as something to flesh out the universe as you played.  Like you'd kill a creature and get an entry for that creature, but if you killed a certain number of those creatures, you'd then get a 2nd entry that had some other bit of lore not necessarily related to that creature.  Usually some history or an interesting facet of the world.  Coupled with the near-perfect localization, it was truly compelling, and I spent quite a number of hours just making sure I'd cleaned up enough of the different kinds of baddies to ensure that I wasn't missing most entries.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #328 on: Sunday, January 10, 2010, 02:48:05 PM »
I don't think Mass Effect's codex was anywhere near as good as some others, but I still for some reason found it a great deal more compelling than Dragon Age's.  I'm usually such a sucker for that kind of thing, but DA's codex just bored the crap out of me.  I was really disappointed since everyone said it was the best thing ever and even though they never read that kind of thing in games, they did in that one.  I guess maybe that's why.  I really didn't get anything out of it.  Just slowed the game down for me.  I honestly don't know what the difference was, though.  Maybe it was just the content of the fiction rather than anything to do with the actual way it was written... dunno'.
Besides ME and FF12 - what other Codexes have you really liked, Que?

One thing I do like about Codex for DAO - is it's all nice and very neatly split up in categories - "Books", "Characters", "Locations", etc etc. Very nice and easy to navigate.

My favorite is still Final Fantasy XII's, though, because they kind of managed to actually tie it to gameplay.  It wasn't great as a reference so much, but it worked really well as something to flesh out the universe as you played.  Like you'd kill a creature and get an entry for that creature, but if you killed a certain number of those creatures, you'd then get a 2nd entry that had some other bit of lore not necessarily related to that creature.  Usually some history or an interesting facet of the world.  Coupled with the near-perfect localization, it was truly compelling, and I spent quite a number of hours just making sure I'd cleaned up enough of the different kinds of baddies to ensure that I wasn't missing most entries.
That sounds pretty sweet for a Codex, actually - that it keeps updating and everything.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #329 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 02:07:03 AM »
I am exploring the citadel (the first one, in case there are more?), and I am just waiting for this game to devolve into standard Bioware fare. Not that I don't love standard Bioware plot mechanics (you know where you start with the main story, but then reach an obviously placed plot stopping brick wall, and must visit all the planets/empires/races of the world to gain all the alliances/all parts of the hidden mystical item/all the clues to the main puzzle, where each planet/empire/race is incidentally facing some sort of turmoil that only you can resolve. Normally, each planet's/empire's/race's civil problems mean that you can get a fair glimpse of their respective worlds, but not at full glory.

So far, this has been true of just about every Bioware game since they want 3D. The Baldur's Gate games were different because the technically limitless 2D backgrounds meant that the level of detail was exponentially more vast...

Hmmm... what was my point? :P

Yea, basically Mass Effect is very cool so far because it feels very different. I am not just talking about the main plot, but even the smaller stuff.

The one thing I have noticed is that even more so KOTOR, the game feels quite limited in terms of mechanics and whatnot, and is probably designed as such because it is primarily an Xbox game. It could also be because the game's action is playing through first person shooting, than third person turn based melee.

I like being able to issue move orders, and special attack orders during combat though. It feels kinda Rainbow Six Vegas like in that regard.

edit:

I do agree that the codex is far more compelling than it was in Dragon Age. I am not sure if it is the actual content or the presentation.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #330 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 07:28:29 AM »
Yeah, I think the feeling of limited mechanics is due to the shooting aspect.  I'm hoping they can beef up some of that stuff in the sequel, though I'm not holding out much hope.  Fortunately what's there is good enough to be enjoyable, and it's fun to build up the squad to make up for each other's weaknesses and stuff.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #331 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 08:34:01 AM »
I wonder if they are going to be beefing up that stuff in the sequel. The reason is that I heard one of the developers talk about strengthening the action element in some interview I read. He was basically talking about making the shooting elements and stuff feel as fluid and fun as they do in Gears of War -- though it doesn't mean they won't be strengthening anything else.

Some of the skill system confuses me a little. For example, I can't seem to boost my sniper skill anymore, despite having the skill points, and there doesn't seem to be any obvious reason why. It could be that further progress in the sniping skill depends on investment in other skills, but I don't see what I should be investing in.

For example, to unlock the sniping skill, I had to take my pistol skills to a certain level. That much was apparent, but now there seems to be an invisible block on my sniper skill progress, having gotten to a few notches.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #332 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 09:52:45 AM »
Depending on your class, some weapons are simply not meant to be used by you.  I think I played as an Adept, and my primary specializations were pistol and shotgun.  I could wield other weapons, but couldn't get bonuses from them, so you just end up maxing out the weapons you are capable of using.

I think this is the problem you are having.  I could be wrong though; it has been a long time since I've played Mass Effect.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #333 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 10:47:44 AM »
But I chose the sniper class.

Strange.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #334 on: Monday, January 11, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »
ROFL I just steered off to the side of the "road" in my Mako to see if there was anything worth getting out and grabbing,a nd I got a cristical mission failure. That'll teach me to explore.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #335 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 03:30:38 AM »
Is it just me or is the combat in this game really hard? It doesn't even feel like I've made bad choices on building my squad or equipping them, but that it just throws insane stuff at you.

So I did Eden Prime, I went to the citadel and met all my possible party members and stuff, then went straight to rescue
(click to show/hide)
. I went back to citadel and grabbed what missions I could find there. One was a missing research team, another was a kidnap rescue mission.

I died 4-5 times on the research team on, getting zerged every time. I thought I'd wandered to an area I wasn't supposed to be yet, and wasn't even sure if I was in the right place for the mission (I was). The next day I loaded it up again and managed to do it with liberal use of a shotgun and throw/overload, as well as the explosive crates sitting around in the room.

So then I went to try the rescue mission. I get in and the enemies notice me and run straight to me. I can get off a few shots, but then next thing I know my biotic ally is dead, and my soldier ally is dying. I can't heal the biotic, because she's the only one with first aid and she's stunned. then I'm stunned/knocked down until I'm dead, unable to move or do anything.

My squad makeup is me (soldier), Ashley, and Liara. Ashley and I have most of our points in specter, soldier, and combat armor, with leftovers put in assault rifles. Liara is foused on first aid and scientist, with some points in barrier and throw. I'm level 12. Am I in above my head, or just need to find a better strat? (I think I'm playing on normal)

EDIT: I finally made it past that second one, but still it feels like I'm doing missions above my level or something.
« Last Edit: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 04:20:54 AM by W7RE »

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #336 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 07:47:49 AM »
The game doesn't really make its methodology very apparent.  I had the same problem, initially, and then eventually I just sort of figured out what strategies work and such.  Once I started doing a lot of pausing and a lot of micromanagement of my squad, opting for more tactics than I was thinking I'd need initially, it started to go better.  It's not an overly hard game, it just takes a while to get used to what works and what doesn't.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #337 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 02:50:47 PM »
I think the problem with the kidnapping mission was that I was facing biotics based enemies and they were stunning me and shit. then when I got past the first part onto the main fight, it was against 3 biotics and I had no cover. All I could do was throw one, warp another, then spray and pray.

Also I keep trying to play defensively. I see enemies, and look for the nearest cover. Then they run straight at me and I've got 5 guys in my face, and the cover's doing nothing for me. Being aggressive has yielding far better results.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #338 on: Thursday, January 14, 2010, 05:12:01 PM »
The combat is quite strategic in Mass Effect, but it can definitely become one big clusterfuck sometimes.  Make sure to use your abilities and invest points in the ability (no idea what it's called) but when you use a medkit, it heals everybody on your team.

It's also very important to find a good balance between yourself and your party members.  For example, I know some people use Tali, but she didn't work in my group makeup.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #339 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »
I am enjoying the game immensely, and can sense a very deliberate pacing.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #340 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 07:40:55 AM »
So Mass Effect is finally getting pretty cheap, but I haven't followed gaming news or this thread enough to find out if they have released a patch that removes the DRM or a license deactivation tool.  I did some quick searches here on OW.net and on Google, but it was just everyone bitching about the DRM.

This game has the worst DRM out there as far as I am concerned, and I refuse to purchase it until I know I have reasonable fair use of the game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #341 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 09:14:05 AM »
I really like ME, but in some ways -- especially after playing a wonderful CRPG like Dragon Age -- it feels like going from Deus Ex 1 to Deus Ex 2. While it isn't that bad, it definitely feels simplified for the consoles. Some of it, like the game mechanics, inventory management, unified party skill pool... all feel like a step behind even KOTOR... and I don't understand that. KOTOR - a console first release - sold brilliantly well, and had deeper gameplay than Mass Effect, so it can't be that Bioware were motivated to make things more accessible.

Some of the other stuff like the party interaction and the sidequests feel pretty weak. Granted, sidequests have never been a strength of Bioware, but in Dragon Age they at least involved plenty of action. So even if you were fetching the little boy's cat from the tree, you were at least crushing some ogre skulls on the way.

Here a lot of the sidequests are bizarrely mundane. I guess they really wanted to show off the dynamic conversation system, but that alone isn't deep enough to carry the sidequests.

I know I sound like I am knocking the game, but I really am having a good time. I think the actual world is beautifully rich, and its uniqueness makes it more interesting than that of Dragon Age or KOTOR. It is definitely more original, it has to be said, and there is a bit of a sense of wonder to it, like some of the Star Trek fiction.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #342 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 10:23:11 AM »
So Mass Effect is finally getting pretty cheap, but I haven't followed gaming news or this thread enough to find out if they have released a patch that removes the DRM or a license deactivation tool.  I did some quick searches here on OW.net and on Google, but it was just everyone bitching about the DRM.

This game has the worst DRM out there as far as I am concerned, and I refuse to purchase it until I know I have reasonable fair use of the game.

I'm in the same boat. I've been really interesting in playing the game lately, but there isn't a good clear choice in terms of what to buy. It seems like there has been a patch that at least adds a revoke tool, but I haven't seen anything that describe how it really works. There's also the Steam choice which, as I understand it, removed the crazy DRM in favor of Steam's usual fair.

To make matters worse, it's actually sort of hard to find it retail version now. Amazon doesn't carry it in their normal store and it isn't a lot of brick and mortar places. The game did well enough and with a big sequel coming out that is advertising characters will transfer, so you'd think they would make it more available. I wish I bit over the Steam holiday sale when it was going for ~$10; that would have made the choice a lot easier.

Edit: A little searching found the actual revoke tool for the retail releases: http://activate.ea.com/deauthorize/
« Last Edit: Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:03:14 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #343 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:07:03 AM »
The funny thing is that because of the interest generated by the sequel, the first game appeared made a bit of an appearance on he top seller list on steam. This was well after the sale, and at $19!

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #344 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:57:04 AM »
Supposedly that's the whole goal of the Steam sales as well. They push out a lot of games really cheap, but then stragglers end up buying the game at full price afterwards because of buzz generated.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #345 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 12:15:54 PM »
Yea I have seen that happening. Even after a sale ends, games still remain in the top 10 for some days.

I can see the thought process. You hear about the sale, but react when it is too late. Disappointed, you think, why the hell not... I'll just skip eating out tonight.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #346 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 09:20:59 PM »
Yeah, I think that's pretty much the strategy.

Anyway... the game's 10 bucks.  Just buy it and crack it.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #347 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
I'd gladly snap it up for $10, but I haven't seen that price anywhere since the Steam sale ended.

Either way, I ordered the retail version today. I had a coupon for Best Buy, so that'll serve a purpose.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #348 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 10:44:15 PM »
You can buy it on EA.com for that much I think.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #349 on: Friday, January 15, 2010, 11:04:05 PM »
Huh. I forget that publishers often have stores. Bioware is selling it, but for $20 as well.

The EA one is only a digital copy. I wonder how they handle that stuff.

Edit: From Wikipedia (so might be slightly off, but...):
Users are given one year from the time of purchase to download a game. This period can be extended by five years, via the Extended Download Service, by paying a $6 US fee. This is unlike most other digital distribution platforms which allow users to re-download their purchases in the future without limitations. This means that after one year if you need to reinstall the software/game that you must repay the full price.

Yeah, that's pretty bad.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #350 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
The Xbox Live deal of the week this week is the Mass Effect DLC. Bring Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station are both 240 points each, instead of 400 points. ($3 instead of $5)

I went ahead and got Bring Down the Sky, but from what I've heard about Pinnacle Station it sounds like a waste of time.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #351 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 10:06:41 AM »
They aren't remotely worth it.  The only reason I got Bring Down the Sky was because it was free on PC.  It's okay... but nothing to write home about.  I wouldn't have paid for it.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #352 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »
The only reason I got Bring Down the Sky was because it was free on PC.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #353 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 10:46:20 AM »
The only reason I got Bring Down the Sky was because it was free on PC.
Ditto.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #354 on: Monday, January 18, 2010, 02:46:17 PM »
To Pug and X:
Yeah, me three.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #355 on: Thursday, January 21, 2010, 06:35:08 AM »
I figured out (I think) what I was doing wrong with the combat. I was trying to do all the side quests at the very beginning of the game. I got Liara and then started doing every side quest I could find, and most were tough. I assume they're meant to be stumbled upon as you play the game or on various visits back to Citadel, when you've had a chance to get used to the combat system.

Now that I bashed my head against that wall, and THEN started working on the main game, the combat is way easier. I'm not having much trouble with the story related stuff at all.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #356 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
I am still at an early stage, having been to one planet so far without any time to play this week. The game isn't bad, though feels quite a few steps behind Dragon Age or KOTOR so far. The sidequests are some of the most inane and boring out of any Bioware game. They are really quite terribly boring so far. At least in KOTOR or Dragon Age, your sidequests involved some action, or the some interesting story.

The combat isn't bad, but the harder battles are frustrating because of some amateur design decisions. I've only had one tough battle so far -- the one on Novaria -- but it was impossible to play without proper pausing and command issuing. There is nothing wrong with that, but the game can never be mistaken for a proper shooter.

The AI is pretty poor, with pathfinding being very frustrating. What is also frustrating is how your squad-mates don't follow positioning orders very well.

The enemy AI is laughabe, especially in intense combat situations. Some enemy combatants will just run up to you and starting firing point blank.

In the end you feel like there is only a certain way you can play...

Obviously it has always been like that in Bioware games. If you look at Dragon Age, while you can set it to look like a pure third person action game, it is obviously anything but. The thing with Dragon Age is that because the hack and slash genre is so familiar, it feels natural to play Dragon Age the way it is.

The thing with Mass Effect is that it looks and feels exactly like a shooter, except it isn't. That's where the frustration comes in, and where you have to adapt to its RPG ways.

I think I am beginning to realize why I hated Jade Empire so much. I should have probably tried to play another way, instead of playing it as an action game.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #357 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 05:32:59 PM »
The sidequests are some of the most inane and boring out of any Bioware game. They are really quite terribly boring so far. At least in KOTOR or Dragon Age, your sidequests involved some action, or the some interesting story.

Eh, some of them are ok as far as story, but nothing closely related to the main story. Some have combat too.

I guess this is a side quest spoiler, but there's not really a spoiler to be had here so I'll go ahead. One sidequest I did involved a missing dig party from an excavation site on some far off planet. I recall going to that part of the galaxy, and to the system it told me to, and then having to guess which planet it was on. After landing on a random planet in the system, I head to the nearest blip on my radar while having no clue if that's the right place. I get out of my vehicle, head inside, and get zerged by like a dozen husks. After I kill them all, I get an update telling me the workers at the dig site have been turned into husks. I didn't even know I was in the right place until I completed the quest.

Oh, and you mentioned the combat. Yea, I was hoping it would be more like a shooter, maybe it'll be better in ME2 since I've heard they improved the combat. I'm really glad I went soldier, because I feel like my party members don't do jack. Maybe Ashley (soldier) is actually useful but I just don't see it as obviously. But with Liara I can specify all her moves to be used as I see fit. They don't seem to do too much damage, but they allow me to live long enough to shotgun bitches down. I can't imagine if I had those moves on my character and had to rely on the party AI to kill things.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #358 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 11:24:07 PM »
The combat in ME 2 looks a lot better and apparently they improved the side quests.  Side quests was easily the weakest aspect of the first game.  There's like a million of them, but they're all fetch quests or driving around some boring ass planet looking for some object.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #359 on: Friday, January 22, 2010, 11:36:00 PM »
Yea I hope the sidequests improve. So far on the Citadel and Novaria they have been incredibly dull.

And yea, if you play the game like it wants you to, the combat is pretty OK.

I think for the party members to be effective you have to specialize their skill points in a single attack skill as much as possible.

One key skill seems to be a specter skill which allows you to revive your party after they have been incapacitated. That has done wonders.