Author Topic: I am in China  (Read 1800 times)

Offline ren

• Veteran
I am in China
« on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 08:50:14 PM »
I've been here for about a day now. Here is what I've learned:

1)I don't know Mandarin
2)Nobody knows English

It's been interesting. Right now my mission is to get a phone card. There's payphones all over the streets and they all need a phone card so I figured it shouldn't be too hard. They're supposed to sell them at the front desk here but I can't get one, I think they're out. I know how to ask for a phone card in Mandarin and I've done so at a few stores. The ones that have had them always ask me follow-up questions which I have no hope of understanding. So far no luck there.

There are signs at the front desk of the university where people are looking for english speaking natives. They're looking to practice their english and in exchange you get the help of a native. I would try that but they put their phone numbers down and I haven't figured out the phone thing yet.

It's also fun getting stared at everywhere you go. I'm at an international school so I've seen a few white people around. I'm of Indian origin though so I think seeing somebody that looks like me is an extra rarity here.

So far so good. I'm supposed to be taking a Mandarin class here which should start soon and make my life easier. I've already figured out what a bunch of the symbols mean and picked up some phrases. It's interesting how fast you can pick this stuff up when you have to.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: I am in China
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:19:54 PM »
Hey guys, when should we tell ren he's still in his house? I know its fun and cute slipping him shrooms every now and again but he's still just a kid...

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »
That would be the strangest trip ever.

Also, everybody smokes here. That was expected but what caught me by surprise is that everybody smokes indoors. If you go in a convenience store, the people behind the counter are sometimes just puffing away.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:26:16 PM »
I'm of Indian origin though so I think seeing somebody that looks like me is an extra rarity here.

I am not sure if it is a rarity actually. India and Pakistan are neighboring countries, and business people from there do visit regularly.

So how long are you there for?

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:45:46 PM »
That's what I would have thought but based on how long people spend looking at me I don't think it's that common. At least not in this part of the city.

I'm in Beijing until the first week of June. After that I'm in India (Bangalore for June and closer to Delhi for July). Then in August I'll be moving through the Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore area. For September I'll be back in Canada.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:51:35 PM »
draw pictures. this is when playing pictionary at every family gathering pays off.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 09:59:15 PM »
That's what I would have thought but based on how long people spend looking at me I don't think it's that common. At least not in this part of the city.

I'm in Beijing until the first week of June. After that I'm in India (Bangalore for June and closer to Delhi for July). Then in August I'll be moving through the Thailand/Malaysia/Singapore area. For September I'll be back in Canada.

First of all, it is quite awesome of you to go on this trip. Secondly, it is quite possible I may be in Bangkok around Augustish.

Also, regarding the staring... I used to get really quite annoyed, but then I got used to it.

For some reason a lot of people in Asian and middle eastern countries stare... they don't realize it is uncomfortable for the person getting started at, or that it is rude. It may take some time to get used to it, especially if you stop over in Dubai. 

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 20, 2010, 10:16:55 PM »
Cool. I'm planning to fly to Bangkok July 31st and I'll probably be in Thailand for around 10 days.

I don't really mind being stared at. Right now, since I don't know anybody, it's actually kind of nice. If I was just walking through the streets unnoticed it would get a bit lonely.

I actually have a pen and a pad in case I needed to draw something. So far it hasn't come to that. It's kind of fun to have no control and just see what happens.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Sunday, February 21, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
Heh, sounds like fun.  Are you going to be studying the whole time on this trip, or just during your time in China?  Is it mostly for fun, or do you have some greater purpose?

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 06:52:54 AM »
I'm going to be studying until June and the rest is fun. Today I met a bunch of people from the Netherlands who speak Mandarin. It's a bit strange to hear an asian language come out of a white persons mouth. With their help I managed to get a cell phone and also learned of a place nearby which does private Mandarin tutoring for about $2 an hour. At those rates, I can't afford not to do it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 22, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
Haha wow, that's pretty fantastic.

Good luck, man.  I'm sure you'll have a great time and learn a ton.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 06:32:59 PM »
hahah even if you had mandarin background, you'll probably need some time to get used to the beijing accent :p
say "wo bu shi hua zhongwen. wo hua yingwen."

"zai nar" -- where?

"ni hao ma?" -- hi, how are you

"ni chur la ma?" ppl like to use that as a greeting.. translated it's like have you eaten?

whereabouts in beijing are you?

India--fun fun!! I was in India for quite some time for my wedding.. that was insane, fun, and kinda other-worldly.

Taken.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 06:39:05 PM »
I'm in the chaoyang district in the northeast of beijing. The Beijing accent is pretty thick but I'm getting better at picking out the words. For the first little while I would have absolutely no idea what people were saying and then later find out they said something incredibly simple that I should understand like 'the price is $12.50'.

hahah even if you had mandarin background, you'll probably need some time to get used to the beijing accent :p say "wo bu shi hua zhongwen. wo hua yingwen."

That would take me so long to say at this point, I've shortened it to "yingwen ma?" Nice and simple.

I went into a language school to take Mandarin lessons and they spent the first 15 minutes talking to me about teaching english. I now teach middle and high-school kids english for 6 hours a week making 30 times an hour what I pay for Chinese lessons. I have absolutely no training at all in this kind of thing. They're just so happy to get a native-english speaker it doesn't matter at all how grossly underqualified you are.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, February 28, 2010, 04:01:11 PM »
hahah, just being able to talk to someone who speaks English is good practice.

There's a great Buddhist restaurant in that district. They have all-you-can-eat.

Oh, have you tried the bingtanghulu?
Taken.