Author Topic: Got to hand it to you Canadians about one thing  (Read 3107 times)

Offline PyroMenace

Got to hand it to you Canadians about one thing
« on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 02:15:11 AM »
You're right about how big our vaginas are when it comes to snow. Our last big snow storm we had brought us to almost a whopping foot of snow and like half the people in our department at work called in. I also have a big ass hill to drive up to get out of my parking lot. We are some whiny ass bitches.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Re: Got to hand it to you Canadians about one thing
« Reply #1 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 09:25:24 AM »
Haha, see, that's the kind of attitude I have toward Californians.  It rains and people get all upset... drives me nuts.  It's like... you dumb jerks, go anywhere else in the WORLD and see what weather is REALLY like.

But yeah, I can't imagine that kind of snow.  That must be... difficult.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 09:50:35 AM »
After the last 2 snowfalls here back-to-back, there's about a foot of snow right now on the patio furniture.  That's unusual for Cincy.  What happened in DC is ridiculously unusual.  You can't be well prepared for, or an expert at, what happens only rarely.  If I lived in Canada, I would be driving a very different vehicle too.

Have I mentioned lately how much I hate shitty winters?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #3 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
Yeah, we're wusses. Even our "solution" for snow sucks. "ADD MORE SALT!" No wonder our cars rust out in 2 years.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: Friday, February 12, 2010, 05:42:23 PM »
You're right about how big our vaginas are when it comes to snow. Our last big snow storm we had brought us to almost a whopping foot of snow and like half the people in our department at work called in. I also have a big ass hill to drive up to get out of my parking lot. We are some whiny ass bitches.

Fuck, one of my pet peeves is people complaining about other people complaining about snow.  Owning a set of snow tires does not earn you a merit badge. 

That said, that blog was bullshit.  I can promise that in Alberta, BC, Ontario, and the Northwest Territories there ARE snow days, people don't show up to work, and shit shuts down in a storm. You either live in a city that gets a lot of snow and thus has a prepared populace (as well as the proper infrastructure, equipment, and budget items to deal with it) or you don't.  End of story.  As for driving on ice; past the very obvious common sense (and preparedness) aspect of it, you're just rolling the dice.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 09:59:52 AM »
You either live in a city that gets a lot of snow and thus has a prepared populace (as well as the proper infrastructure, equipment, and budget items to deal with it) or you don't.  End of story.

End of thread.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 13, 2010, 10:58:00 AM »
Let's hand it to Canada for something else too.

Ready? Go!

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #7 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 01:26:31 PM »
OMG fuck this snow.  I've been out shoveling three times already today and there will be need for a fourth and maybe fifth.

Also, I'm fucking sick of people that only shovel their driveway and leave the sidewalk covered.  Just because your lazy, fat ass doesn't use the sidewalk doesn't mean no one does.

I could understand if you've got a long driveway or are elderly or - I'll go ahead and be a sexist - are a woman.  But on my street the driveways are mostly single-lane and short and I know many of my neighbors have men in the 20's - 50's living there.  The sidewalk only takes an extra five minutes.  Fucking do it.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 01:51:15 PM »
What's the total from these 3 back-to-back storms here?  It looks like about a foot and a half on the patio table and chairs now.  It's fucking ridiculous.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 01:54:43 PM »
I haven't heard any numbers but my chairs in back look to have a little over a foot on them.  But of course some of it melted because it was sunny Friday and Saturday.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #10 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Its snowing here right now. Its only supposed to be an inch or two, but I've had enough.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #11 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 03:38:54 PM »
Its snowing here again.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #12 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 07:36:28 PM »
Wow.  I can't believe how much snow we got.  And it is still snowing, albeit lightly.

The snow is so deep and powdery that my poor dog couldn't crap.  He is picky about where he poops and all his places were just too deep.  They were at least a couple inches past his chest and he once jumped into a drift and he went almost completely under the snow.

There were some sidewalks that people have been using a snowblower on and its this wall of snow.  He had to step into the snow a bit so he could raise himself up high enough to see over.

He's not a tiny dog either.  He's a Shiba Inu, about 15 inches high at the shoulder.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: Monday, February 15, 2010, 08:15:19 PM »
OMG fuck this snow.  I've been out shoveling three times already today and there will be need for a fourth and maybe fifth.

Also, I'm fucking sick of people that only shovel their driveway and leave the sidewalk covered.  Just because your lazy, fat ass doesn't use the sidewalk doesn't mean no one does.

I could understand if you've got a long driveway or are elderly or - I'll go ahead and be a sexist - are a woman.  But on my street the driveways are mostly single-lane and short and I know many of my neighbors have men in the 20's - 50's living there.  The sidewalk only takes an extra five minutes.  Fucking do it.

In most places here, it's actually law to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house and enterance pathway (driveway, not so much).  If not covered under a specific law, the Occupier's Liability Act (or equivalent) covers it.  You probably have roughly the same thing going on there, not that it really helps....just kind of interesting I thought.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 12:30:19 AM »
I believe it varies area to area, but for us, you have 24 hours to remove the snow from your sidewalk.  If you fail to do so and someone complains about it, the city will clear the sidewalk for you and charge you like $75 for removing the snow.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 06:27:47 AM »
I should look into that.  One of my neighbors did that to someone else when their grass got too long and the township sent someone out to cut it.  I guess the bill got added to their property tax or something.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
Grass is different.  (If you think about it, it's the exact opposite, based on where it is.)  That's related to health, property values and zoning crap.  Usually you'll get a notice from the township if you let your yard go too far.  And if you fail to comply, yes, they'll come in, clean it up and bill you a lot more than it would cost you to hire someone to do it.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 03:32:27 PM »
In most places here, it's actually law to shovel the sidewalk in front of your house and enterance pathway (driveway, not so much).  If not covered under a specific law, the Occupier's Liability Act (or equivalent) covers it.  You probably have roughly the same thing going on there, not that it really helps....just kind of interesting I thought.

This is true. When we first moved to Canada, we didn't shovel our driveway very well because we didn't have a car and didn't see the point. Some dude came to our door and told us to shovel it and threatened to sue if we didn't. A few weeks later, after another snowfall some guy came in and said he slipped on our sidewalk and threatened to sue unless we cleaned it up. That was more interesting because we actually did shovel the sidewalk but an icy patch remained. Each time we basically apologized and cleaned it up and it went away. Then spring came and we didn't mow our lawn at first because we hadn't bought a lawnmower yet. This time another person came and told us to cut it or they would sue us because snakes might be hiding in our grass. It wasn't unreasonably long or anything, it was just a bit messy. It was a rented house so we weren't too concerned with the upkeep.

The next year we moved into a non-shitty neighbourhood and people stopped threatening to sue us.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 03:40:49 PM »
This time another person came and told us to cut it or they would sue us because snakes might be hiding in our grass.

GET THESE MOTHERFUCKIN SNAKES OFF MY MOTHERFUCKIN LAWN

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
This is true. When we first moved to Canada, we didn't shovel our driveway very well because we didn't have a car and didn't see the point. Some dude came to our door and told us to shovel it and threatened to sue if we didn't. A few weeks later, after another snowfall some guy came in and said he slipped on our sidewalk and threatened to sue unless we cleaned it up. That was more interesting because we actually did shovel the sidewalk but an icy patch remained. Each time we basically apologized and cleaned it up and it went away. Then spring came and we didn't mow our lawn at first because we hadn't bought a lawnmower yet. This time another person came and told us to cut it or they would sue us because snakes might be hiding in our grass. It wasn't unreasonably long or anything, it was just a bit messy. It was a rented house so we weren't too concerned with the upkeep.

The next year we moved into a non-shitty neighbourhood and people stopped threatening to sue us.

Snakes, really?  The snow thing is kind of a legitimate safety issue....but snakes...in Ontario?  We're not talking about spitting cobras here.  I had the same thing once when I lived in a house where we all just refused to cut the lawn. Well, most of the neighbours didn't say anything because they pretty much knew it was a lost cause, but the city was all over us.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 08:01:33 PM »
Yeah the snow thing was legit, we were just new immigrants who didn't know what was up. We didn't own any proper winter clothing and hadn't adjusted to the temperatures and the thought of going out into a Canadian winter wasn't appealing.

I blame the neighbourhood though. It was such an awful place to live and at the time we thought it was representative of Canada. We were completely disappointed and almost ended up bailing on Toronto and moving to Vancouver. We rented the main floor to a house which was infested with cockroaches. The basement tenants seemed sketchy but never gave us any problems. A month after we moved out there was a shootout in the basement of the house.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 08:29:25 PM »
We were completely disappointed and almost ended up bailing on Toronto and moving to Vancouver.

You almost made the best decision ever.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday, February 16, 2010, 10:30:21 PM »
True, but with our luck we would have ended up in east Vancouver.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »
East Vancouver isn't so bad (depending on where you live). Actually, it's not bad at all in a lot of places. The lower east side, however....that place is fucked between 4 and 6 am. I think Kam's works doing something there now.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 03:10:06 PM »
I've never actually been to Vancouver. I'm sure it's nowhere near as bad as the reputation it's developed makes it out to be. If I was to buy into all of it the streets would be littered with needles and you would never set foot on the east side for fear of getting mugged.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, February 17, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »
Yeah, you have to watch for needles, and your car may get broken into overnight, but I've never had any trouble down there (for the most part).  Everyone is too cracked out and hungry to fuck around woth you I guess.