Author Topic: Dawn of Mana dropping on May 22nd!  (Read 2121 times)

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
Dawn of Mana dropping on May 22nd!
« on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:01:33 PM »
That would be Tuesday.

Check out the official NA site if you're a Seiken Densetsu nut like me.  I can't believe I don't have this preordered.  I think I'm going to force myself to do it at GameCrazy tomorrow if they haven't stopped taking them yet.  I need one of those preorder-specific music disks.  No, really.  I need it.

EDIT - Damn, the reviews thus far of those who've played the import aren't good at all.  Quite bad, in fact.  It seems that my worst fears may yet be realized.  This guy gives a very informative review and really slams the hell out of the game.

Fuck.  I'm going to be really depressed if this is truth.

EDIT x2 - Well, there's a slightly more positive review over at RPGFan, and I trust those guys most of the time.  I think *that* I could deal with, though it definitely doesn't sound like what any of us were truly hoping for.
« Last Edit: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 09:52:22 PM by Quemaqua »

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Dawn of Mana dropping on May 22nd!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, May 19, 2007, 11:46:13 PM »
Wow, the game seems to be utter crap.  How did that happen?  This was such a high-quality series.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Sunday, May 20, 2007, 12:39:33 AM »
Yeah, I have no clue.  It makes me sad.  I'm still sort of hoping against hope that maybe I'll be able to find some pleasure in it, and I know for sure I'll be getting the soundtrack (the real, 4-disk version which is supposed to be excellent).  And I'm sure I'll end up getting the game anyway just because I'm pathetic.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Thursday, May 24, 2007, 01:05:33 AM »
Well, I got it and I've played it for about an hour.  So far, I don't hate it.  I've actually been having fun.  I think the whining about the "level" resetting each chapter is probably just because people still want an RPG, and this isn't an RPG.  It's really just an action game set in the Mana universe.

Musically, it's spot on, which is to be expected when you've got Kenji Ito at the helm.  His stuff has always been good, though I found there was too much recalling of the main theme in Sword of Mana.  Anyway, the little bit I've heard so far has been easily up to par with other good stuff in the series, so I've no complaints there.

Visually, I'm amazed.  The game isn't the best looking on PS2, but it looks really good and they got all the details just right.  There are so many familiar things all over the place, and the menus and such are gorgeous and appropriate.  Fans will ooze all over the stuff at first sight.  Cutscenes and stuff are pretty nice, though they disconcert me being in a Mana game... but I'm still adjusting to 3D.  Overall, I'm pretty impressed with the style of everything.  Just the title screen is enough to make a Mana fan want to cry it's so great.

Gameplay... run around and hit stuff.  You basically knock the crap out of the environment and throw objects at the bad guys.  Bad guys get scared, and when they're scared they're easy to kill.  Plus they drop stuff.  The stuff they drop levels you up (health, magic, etc.) and makes it easier to kill stuff and stay alive.  The physics thing seems okay.  It's kind of fun getting bounced around a bit, and it can be quite entertaining bouncing enemies off of things and each other and such.

So yeah, I'm still really early on here, but my initial impressions aren't so dismal.  I'm cautiously optimistic.  I don't think it's going to hold a candle to previous entries in the series just because it's really an action game and not an action/adventure/ RPG-lite in the same vein as its predecessors.  However, I'm beginning to think there's a good chance I'll enjoy it anyway.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 01:20:35 AM »
Have either of you played Children of Mana on the DS? It was utter shit, all you did was dungeon hack by yourself. I didn't read the review because I don't care about the PS2, but is this game a dungeon hack too?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, May 29, 2007, 09:08:08 PM »
Well, I sort of like Children of Mana, so I dunno'.  Yeah, it's just a dungeon hack, but it isn't bad if you like dungeon hacks really.  Anyway, Dawn of Mana is a straight action/adventure platformer, pure and simple.

GSpot's review is out and I have to say I disagree with most of what it presents, just as I did with most other reviews so far.  The first things he complains about are the "scant" RPG elements, and he mentions these elements throughout the review, but I fail to see them at all.  There are no RPG elements to this game whatsoever.  If he's referring to the fact that you "level up" through the course of a level (which gets reset to nothing the next level), he's just as stupid as most of the other reviewers.  This isn't borked RPG design, it isn't RPG design at all.  It means you have to progress through a level a ways before you can throw around the stronger enemies and bigger objects.  Just because it's called "level" doesn't mean it has anything to do with an RPG.  There are plenty of schmups and other action games that have "levels" of stuff and have nothing to do with RPG gameplay.  Well, add Dawn to the list.

Dawn of Mana's RPG elements are so thin as to be almost nonexistent. There's a simple leveling system here, but you're inexplicably bumped back to level one at the beginning of every chapter.

News flash moron, the RPG elements ARE nonexistent.

Secondly, he complains about the targeting system, like everyone has.  I really don't get this.  I've used it for about 2 levels and have encountered zero problems with it.  You don't need it that often really, and when I have needed it, it's worked fine.  I really don't get the complaints.  It's like when Cobra complained of the Dead Rising roll move happening too often.  I know what he was saying, but it never happened to me.  Sort of same thing here.  It just doesn't seem to be a problem for me.  *Shrug*

Thirdly, while I do find the controls to be a little stiff, I don't find them quite as bad as everybody else, apparently.  I'll definitely agree that they could use some work and that the game would be more fun with better controls, but I don't think they make the game that unplayable or frustrating.  It just makes jumping a little weird.  Still, it's worth mentioning that they're less than stellar, I'm just not quite so full of hate over them as others seem to be.

The camera I agree with.  It blows.  Not any worse than any other game with a camera that blows, I guess, but it still blows.

Anyway, what really gets me is that though he mentions the nice graphics and art design in the review, as well as the absolutely stunning (so far) musical score, here's what he says in the game's synopsis:

The Good:   You can fling monsters around.

The fuck is that?  I'm sorry, but that just isn't right.  Even if you still hate the rest of the game, most agree that the story is nicely done, there are a lot of good cutscenes moving things along, the levels are pretty and the enemies animate well, and the music is fantastic.  How do you not mention that up there, especially when music is such a huge draw for Mana fans in the first place?  I don't know, maybe it's just my inner fanboy getting pissy, but that seems negligent.

Anyway, a lot of the complaints I guess are valid, but for whatever reason I just don't find the game that horrendous.  Maybe it'll get worse as things go on, but the other people I've talked to who've liked the game are much further than I and still enjoying themselves.

So yeah, it seems like more fanboys are pissed than are happy, so don't attribute my saying this to pure fanboyism.  I'd suggest anybody interested rent it first and see whether or not they find this stuff to be too problematic for them.  Otherwise I think the game is really nice, and I find it disheartening that people are screaming at Koichi Ishii as though he is being a total lazy bastard and doesn't give a shit about the franchise anymore.  I don't think that's even remotely fair, or the game even remotely that bad.

As a final note, the physics stuff is actually fun.  I thought it would be more gimmicky.  It doesn't work perfectly 100% of the time, but it's pretty easy to get the hang of in my experience, and you can really get creative with flinging enemies and objects around.  And there are just random fun objects to play around with, including exploding elemental acorns (that are huge) and different fruit from the Legend+ games that do stuff.

I'm just happy I don't hate it.  I was pretty convinced that the experience was going to suck when I went into it, and I've been very happy to find that I don't feel that way about it at all.  I'm quite sure that part of it is how little I was expecting given the reactions to it, but I still don't quite get the angst.  I know everybody wants another "true" Mana action RPG (though to be honest these games have always been more action/adventure than RPG, kind of like Zelda), but jeez, it isn't that bad people.

EDIT - This game is completely awesome and anyone who hates it should have their fucking head examined.  I completely, absolutely, wholly do not understand why people hate this game.  Not on any level whatsoever.  A few levels aren't as good as the others, but I can't put this game down.  I have never been so mystified about the response to a game in all my life.
« Last Edit: Friday, June 01, 2007, 12:07:09 AM by Quemaqua »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, June 01, 2007, 10:39:43 AM »
Hold on.  Your edit reevaluates everything you posted above it.  You were saying "it's not so bad", and you ended up say that it's awesome.  So you think that all the reviews are way off base, then, not just overly critical?

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #7 on: Friday, June 01, 2007, 09:29:59 PM »
Yes, exactly.  At first I felt like okay, the game has some minor problems and is kinda' fun.  The more I play it, the more fun I have experimenting with stuff.  I've now gone all over the whole thing trying to find the tons of secrets, and there's just so much to explore.  Those problems I mentioned before are certainly still there, but I just can't understand how in the name of crap anyone can be so bothered about a couple of niggles when everything else is just great.  I mean, I can understand having misgivings about this stuff, but I've played games with far worse control schemes and far greater  camera problems and far worse gameplay that people have still claimed to love.  I just don't see anything bad here to warrant the press it's getting.  Just nothing at all.  I'd say this game is a mid 7s to mid 8s game depending on your personal taste.  For mine, this is a low 8 game.  There's tons of crap to do and fiddle with, lots of stuff to find, great music, a quaint story, and huge, huge, huge levels to explore.

So in part I guess I mean the reviews are simply overly critical, but it's more the UNIVERSAL response being almost UNANIMOUSLY bad that I don't understand.  I could see a game like this getting bad reviews here and there, and good ones here and there, but not this tidal wave of badness.  I mean, everyone is saying that a perfectly fun and functional game is totally broken and I just don't understand why.

Offline wizall

« Reply #8 on: Friday, June 01, 2007, 09:44:00 PM »
...niggles...

Racist.

:) JAY KAY

Actually, I'm willing to look past the reviews on this one as well.  I think I'll give this a rent after I get into FFXII a bit.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, June 13, 2007, 09:36:26 PM »
I'm working on a FAQ.  For anyone that cares (which is nobody).