Author Topic: Keyboards!  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Keyboards!
« on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 03:09:51 PM »
Hey y'all. Ok, i just received a lovely gift from a relative who knows how much I like gaming. I got a Logitech G19 keyboard! Pretty sleek backlit board with a lot of functionality. I really appreciate the thought as well as the item!

Before this I was using a Razer Lycosa (Mirror Edition) and I loved it. From the smooth, rubberized texture of the keys to the classic layout, it was everything I want (and expect) from a gaming keyboard, despite the fact that it didn't feature much additional functionality beyond backlighting. In that regard the G19 shines, it's a bit of a beast with 12 programmable keys on the left hand side, LCD screen, and a variety of other features. It's definitely a gorgeous keyboard and the ability to change the backlighting colour is a nice touch (allows me to match it with my other glowing items).

In terms of the keys and their texture, I'll have to get used to the G19's longer, almost-glossy keys especially after being so in tune with the Lycosa's flat, matte keys. Not much of an issue, just a matter of time. Now, much as I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth I cannot help but be infinitely bugged by the retarded key layout choices of Logitech, namely the ridiculously tiny left SHIFT key coupled with the duplicate \ key, see here.

It just strikes me as an absolutely stupid thing to have in a gaming keyboard. I keep hitting the goddamn \ key when I mean to press SHIFT with my pinky. My frustration is further pushed when I realize that this particular \ key is completely redundant because another exists right above the (noticeably longer) right SHIFT key, WTF?! It just doesn't make any sense?! Why would they sacrifice the much needed traditional length left SHIFT key with an extra \ key that serves no purpose but to infuriate gamers around the world?!

So far the only workaround I could figure out is to use a registry hack which would reconfigure that key in Windows to register as another left SHIFT. It's like having a SHIFT key that broke in half.

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Keyboards!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, March 29, 2011, 04:08:03 PM »
that picture of the left shift and "\" key is actually the common layout on uk keyboards (although the key above right shift is # instead).

nice keyboard though - if i was rich, i'd definitely go for one.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 06:16:47 AM »
Yeah man, it is pricey! I'd never actually buy it for myself unless it dropped to $100 and only if I really needed a new keyboard. But for now I can enjoy the luxury ;)

What's your favourite keyboard so far?

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 06:46:41 AM »
I love my 20 dollar Logitech keyboard with the old PS2 connector.  It's light, it's quiet, and it's cheap to replace. 

I think my favorite keyboard I've ever used is the original Microsoft Natural Pro with the USB ports and everything.  I still have mine in fact.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 09:40:53 AM »
I love the metal Mac keyboards. It's very low, the keys are flat like on a laptop and has a very solid feel to it. I also like how the Apple/Command key, which acts like Control on a PC, is right next to the spacebar so I can use my thumb instead of my pinky finger for shortcuts.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
I actually have one of those and used it for quite some time.  It's nice.  I like the fact it takes up little to no real estate on the desk.  I end up missing my hot buttons though.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
I still use a mini keyboard. Every time I feel like I need a new keyboard, I always go for a mini one. I'm just too used to the size and normal keyboards seem massive now, and ones like the g19 just seem ridiculously big. I've also gotten used to having a smaller distance between WASD and my mouse, and it now feels uncomfortable to play with a giant keyboard.

I think I got my first mini keyboard because I needed something small enough to fit in my Shuttle PC's carrying bag. Now I just use them because everything else seems unnecessarily large.

Offline Cools!

• Administrator
  • Veteran
  • Let's burn.
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 12:24:30 PM »
I've been thinking of getting a mini keyboard. I use a tablet a lot now and with a mini I will have the hands closer which seems like a more ergonomic setup.

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
I honestly think it would go a long way in the gaming ergonomics department (as well as putting key on the left side for games, like most gaming keyboards do) to just take anything that's to the right of Return, and put it on the left instead. Of course then if you start using a left side Numpad for movement, you're moving your hand further from your mouse again.

I'm also not a big fan of huge wrist rests. It seems more ergonomic and space saving to just have a keyboard with a low profile and let your wrists rest on the desk, assuming your desk/chair puts your arms at the proper height (elbows at 90 degrees).

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, March 30, 2011, 08:30:17 PM »
I like simple keyboards.  I had a cheap (~$10) Lite-On PS/2 one but it broke so I yanked a standard HP USB keyboard from work.  I don't like hot buttons.  I never use them for anything.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 06:39:04 AM »
Before my gaming keyboard craze my favourite one was a BenQ flat, silent keyboard I grabbed on Boxing Day for $10.

The keys on it are smooth and were double-hinged, so they were silent and pressed very softly, almost like a laptop's KB (not the chiclet keys).

I still love that board, except a friend of mine spilled some Coca Cola on the numpad and some of the buttons don't work properly (need a harder push). A bit of a shame but other than the numpad it functions normally. I never used the hotkeys (or media buttons) on it; they were so minimal and out of the way they didn't tarnish the appearance of the KB either.

I'm still getting used to the G19; I'm also finding a lot of interesting mods for the LCD screen online. I just realized a few little habits I picked up from all my other keyboards: when I want to hit ESC I instinctively reach for the top left of the KB, with the G19 I keep accidentally hitting the G1 key; also when I press CTRL I go for the bottom left and I keep hitting the G6 key! Just a matter of time I suppose. Worst case I'll switch back to my lovely Lycosa.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #11 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »
I still love that board, except a friend of mine spilled some Coca Cola on the numpad and some of the buttons don't work properly (need a harder push). A bit of a shame but other than the numpad it functions normally. I never used the hotkeys (or media buttons) on it; they were so minimal and out of the way they didn't tarnish the appearance of the KB either.
Put it in the diswasher and then let it dry for three days or so.  I've done this with keyboards and remote controls several times with success.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #12 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 07:06:30 AM »
Alternatively you should be able to take a small flathead screwdriver and pop the keys out.  Soak them in a large bowl with some dish detergent.  Rinse and let air dry.  I usually just use Q-tips and alcohol on the keyboard underneath.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 07:40:02 AM »
Yeah, I usually use Q-tips to wipe tough to reach spots too. Never tried the dishwasher though! I might give that a shot with an older keyboard that's gone yellowish just as a test drive, hehe!

Coming back to gaming keyboards, I just realized that I overlooked one minor but handy feature they usually provide: anti-ghosting! Which basically means the keyboard will accept multiple simultaneous key presses without beeping or skipping some of the input. It's a subtle feature that I never really appreciate until I'm in the middle of a heavy action game which may demand some finger dexterity i.e. racing games: accelerating while turning and hitting the nitro then tapping the brakes etc.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Thursday, March 31, 2011, 10:55:21 AM »
I just can't play racing games on a keyboard anymore.  I have to use a controller at least.