Author Topic: Playstation 4: Is Sony quietly exiting the console race?  (Read 3872 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Playstation 4: Is Sony quietly exiting the console race?
« on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 01:57:19 PM »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Playstation 4: Is Sony quietly exiting the console race?
« Reply #1 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 02:07:25 PM »
Hmmm...tough to say whats going on. I think its too early for Sony to be already dismissing a PS4. The PS3 so far hasn't been good for their bottom line, but the real heavy hitter games haven't dropped yet so sales might improve. Or perhaps the developers screamed so much about how hard the PS3 is to program for that Sony will go with a much easier architecture for the next gen.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 02:14:39 PM »
Doesn't necessarily mean anything.  It could just mean they won't develop their own chip for the PS4.  It doesn't rule out some other company's chip driving the PS4, although it would be a break from tradition.

Sony is stubborn about it's own stuff.  They stuck with ATRAC as a audio compression format for way longer than they should, and they've only recently given that up for the far more popular MP3 and AAC and OGG formats.

This could mean, like ATRAC, that they are giving up on using their own solution.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #3 on: Friday, October 05, 2007, 07:42:36 PM »
That's what I would suspect.  Might be smart considering the circumstances, too.  Either way, they really need to figure something out in the console arena.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 06:06:45 AM »
Lets be honest, the PS3 is on it's last legs and its only been a year. Theres a chance it could be somewhat successful, but theres no way it will take first or second place. Sony has done nothing but stolen ideas from other consoles, but this time they've lost everything they've stolen or have only done it half assed. No more classic Playstation controller (that looks exactly like the SNES controller), no more rumble, no more backwards compatibility, half assed motion detection, no good exclusives, no impressive looking games (nothing that hasn't been done on the 360) and all at an insane price to boot.

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 12:04:46 PM »
i hardly think it's on it's last legs, nick. i think it deserves to be, what with all the bullshit sony continues to serve up - but the reality is that it's too early to tell. i don't think it's even started to walk yet, i mean the ps2 had a terrible first 6 months or so, and it's the same here. once it gets a couple of big exclusives, and they reduce the price point to something realistic, it will probably start doing a lot better.

that said, i have no intentions of buying one. i hate the fact that it seems to be corporate policy in playstation towers to lie about every fucking thing they can think of.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »
Well, they are making Dualshock 3s which look just like the PS2 pads and it has rumble. Of course, it sucks for everyone since they all have to go buy new controller for rumble.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 06:29:41 PM »
i hardly think it's on it's last legs, nick. i think it deserves to be, what with all the bullshit sony continues to serve up - but the reality is that it's too early to tell. i don't think it's even started to walk yet, i mean the ps2 had a terrible first 6 months or so, and it's the same here. once it gets a couple of big exclusives, and they reduce the price point to something realistic, it will probably start doing a lot better.

that said, i have no intentions of buying one. i hate the fact that it seems to be corporate policy in playstation towers to lie about every fucking thing they can think of.

I was thinking something similar.  I don't want Sony to fail entirely either.  The last thing we need is for Microsoft to own this branch of the console game (with Nintendo now owning its own branch, which frankly appeals less to me).  I do hope they get cut down to size, that reality bites a big chunk out of their ass, so that they quit thinking they can dictate expensive, restrictive terms to their prospective customers.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #8 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 10:03:57 PM »
Cobra detailed my own thoughts on Sony entirely, hence I won't bother to duplicate them.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #9 on: Saturday, October 06, 2007, 11:37:27 PM »
that reality bites a big chunk out of their ass, so that they quit thinking they can dictate expensive, restrictive terms to their prospective customers.

And that's why the 40 gig PS3 will have http://digg.com/playstation_3/Confirmed_No_backwards_compatibility_for_the_40_gig_PS3_2

NO backwards compatibility to speak of.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #10 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 07:05:55 AM »
Blu-Ray/HD-DVD
If Sony loses the console war, then I think they might lose the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray war, too. Personally, I hope HD-DVD wins that war. Isn't Blu-Ray doing very well namely b/c of the PS3 sales since it comes w/ Blu-Ray right there???

Too Early, I Think...
About Sony, I think it's to early to tell if the PS3 will be another Sega Saturn or Sega Dreamcast or not -- to the point where once suddenly a load of good games start to drop, where it'll probably be too late already; the consumer already moved somewhere else, already. I don't think so -- not yet, at least. I think it's too early to call. Usually, a new console system don't really build it library until anywhere from after their first year to second year.

What If's....
I dunno but let's say Sony quits -- I can't picture Nintendo and Microsoft being the last two biggies in the war. I think it would only be a matter of time, until Nintendo pulls a Sega and just starts making games for.... *gasp* Microsoft's console...

Maybe that'll give the time and chance for the rebirth of the building of that long awaited console...Phantom... :P

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 04:06:00 PM »
The Blu-Ray strong-arming is part of what I hate about Sony.  Yes, I hope the format dies an unlamented death.

Why would Nintendo join Sega when they're doing so well?  They always go at their own pace, their own way, and they always stay in the black.  That's one thing few people know about Nintendo; they're always in the black.  Even when they're losing money temporarily on one thing, it's amply capitalized by their own resources.

Edit:  I hate saying something so sweeping without being sure about it.
It is the Company's basic policy to internally provide the capital necessary to fund future growth, including capital investments, and to maintain a strong and liquid financial position in preparation for sudden changes in the business environment and intensified competition. The Company consistently pays a dividend, however, profit levels are evaluated in each fiscal period to determine the level of direct profit returns to our shareholders.
Nintendo '05 financials
« Last Edit: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 05:31:57 PM by Cobra951 »

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #12 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 04:20:02 PM »
Nintendo will never have to make game for other systems. Never. They own the handheld space. But even with home consoles, they have no worries. Prior to the Wiis success Nintendo was making money off Gamecube. They actually make profit off of hardware. And as the Wii shows, they have no problem putting out a console where the graphics aren't totally "wow" to make that happen.

Plus they have a stable of IPs and characters that appeal to everyone. I don't give a shit if there are 30 consoles and 20 handhelds, people will buy Nintendos hardware to play a new Mario game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #13 on: Sunday, October 07, 2007, 08:53:43 PM »
Quote from: Idol
Plus they have a stable of IPs and characters that appeal to everyone. I don't give a shit if there are 30 consoles and 20 handhelds, people will buy Nintendos hardware to play a new Mario game.
Don't forget Metroid and Zelda, either.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #14 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 08:48:49 AM »
Um, that's what he was alluding to when he said "a stable of IPs and characters..."

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #15 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 09:58:16 AM »
haha... I think he should only quoted "people will buy Nintendos hardware to play a new Mario game."...

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #16 on: Monday, October 08, 2007, 10:01:04 AM »
 ::)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #17 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 11:46:57 AM »
Haha I was looking for our New Consoles thread but when I search I found this old thing :P

I got myself a PlayStation 4! Yay!

Let me get the downsides out of the way first:

It's a Japanese unit so that means the confirm/cancel buttons are reversed (X is cancel and O is confirm). This issue has already resulted in an accidental purchase. Killzone Shadowfall was listed as a game in library, so I clicked on it. When Ir realized it was just an expired trial and it said something like "you must purchase this content in order to play" I wanted to just back out of the menu. Now, in that particular menu the buttons reversed back to the standard X to confirm and O to cancel. Apparently, when I clicked what I thought was "cancel" (since it's a Japanese unit) the PSN Store immediately purchased Killzone Shadowfall for $60 with no confirmation. It just charged my card instantly "thank you for purchasing.." I have no intention of ever playing that game, I was simply looking at the option in my library. Even if I did want to play it I would not pay $60 for it. Anyway, I'll get over it I guess. I'm trying to get Sony to revoke the purchase since it was unintentional.

Anyway, this is causing an issue because the confirm/cancel buttons change depending on the region of the game I'm playing, so basically the confirm/cancel buttons are constantly changing causing a lot of unintended confirms and cancels.

Sony claims that the PS4 is region-free but the fact is the infrastructure backing it is not; which completely undermines the point of having a region-free device. Sure, you can get any game disc, no matter where it's from, but any DLC or redeemable codes will only work with an account of its native region. For example, my PS4 came with an online code for Knack. Unfortunately, since I have a Middle-East (ME) account I cannot redeem the code because it is for a Japanese copy of Knack, despite the game being actually available in the ME PSN Store. Just to be clear, there is no "Middle-East Edition" of the PS4 or PS4 titles yet so this is effectively a problem with most download codes for me (except for the DLC code of Infamous Second Son). According to Sony's support this is up to the game publishers and not Sony or PSN. Which makes little sense because one would imagine Sony could simply remove regional tagging from PSN accounts and leave it to the tried-and-true geo-location method used by practically everyone else.

Ok, got that off my chest (partially, I'm still burning up inside over the asinine concept of regional restriction).

On to the good notes!

The PS4 is an awesome and gorgeous bit of hardware. The console itself is sleek and fits really well with my setup, currently horizontally. It is also remarkably silent compared to the PS3 when it's on. The only noise that can be heard is the disc spinning up when I first launch a disc-media game.

The DualShock 4 gamepad is a massive improvement in all aspects; its shape, its grip, triggers, analogue sticks (grip and sensitivity). The touchpad feels somewhat gimmicky so far. All the games I've tried so far use it as replacements for functions that could just as easily be a single button or assigned to the d-pad. Second Son tries to innovate on the functionality of almost all the gamepad's features: swiping, tracking, and clicking the touchpad, sixiaxis-like controls during the graffiti segments where you hold the gamepad to its side and pull the R2 trigger like it's a spray can, and various other minor tweaks on traditional controls.

Since I have a Vita I got to try out the remote play features and it is amazingly simple. The Vita works seamlessly with the PS4 and every single game I've tried has worked in Remote Play. I have yet to try the "Second-Screen" experience since none of the games have the feature, at least not to my knowledge. The only drawback is the huge difference in comfort between the PS4 DualShock 4 and the Vita's controls. A fair trade-off for the convenience of playing top-tier PS4 games on your Vita.

The UI is not great but acceptable. It's certainly better than the XMB of the last generation but it needs some work and tweaks to make it more efficient and more appealing. It gets the job done in the mean time. With that in mind, the functions of the PS4 are improved. Party voice chat is great, sharing is a breeze, and jumping in and out of games is as seamless as alt-tabbing (without crashing :P).

The library of games is still sparse but the few top-tier titles look incredible. At full 1080p, Second Son looks sharp, crisp, and full of vibrant detail. From the models and animations to the special effects, it is a next-gen visual experience. Sadly, in terms of mechanics I would argue that there's very little innovation in the current games. They're really just new games with better graphics so far. Sony are really pushing to support indie games too. I've got Don't Starve: Console Edition and Contrast, both of which play really well and look pristine on the PS4.

Barring a few minor mishaps and Japanese button configuration (to which I'm having a hard time adapting) I'm loving the PS4 and I'm really excited for what's coming! I'll keep you all posted on my experiences.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 01:46:14 PM »
Awesome.  If I were to get a new-gen console today, it would be a PS4, without a doubt.  So every detail I can get from trusted sources is quite welcome.  I won't have to put up with the reversed-button nonsense, but it does concern me that it's so easy to get fleeced out of $60 on a single wrong button press.  Yikes.  I hope you can get your money back.

You sort of reaffirmed one of the reasons I'm holding off.  It's going to take a while to supersede Gen 7 in anything beyond crisper graphics and better frame rates (and even here, progress seems to be slow so far).  Let's see where this year takes us.  Do keep us in touch.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #19 on: Saturday, March 29, 2014, 02:37:09 PM »
If I had money and desire, it would be a PS4 for me as well. As it stands, I would be upgrading my PC. The current crop of consoles hasn't tempted me in the least, and in fact has only managed to further alienate me. I'm never going near Microsoft without an incredibly compelling reason again, not after the 360, and certainly not with the direction they've taken things. PS4 would be attractive if I gamed enough to care, but I don't, especially not to spend craploads of money on a bunch of games. Apparently I'm now perfectly happy pigeonholing myself, as I've been deep into Diablo 3 and enjoying just playing the one thing. Unusual for me, but I just don't play enough anymore. The fact that I've been playing that hardcore for several weeks is a weird surprise, but I guess to be expected since I sort of burnt myself out pretty bad over the last while. I needed a break, and Diablo 3 is it.

Anyway, PS4 still looks attractive to me, but isn't feasible now. I might bite later on if my PS3 dies, but without backward compatibility, there isn't a very compelling reason to ever upgrade, as I'm very unlikely to buy PS4 games. My PC is aging rapidly as well, so any money I would spend on a console is now almost certainly going to get funneled into a new rig instead. Doubtful that will change until some point well into the future.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Sunday, March 30, 2014, 09:42:51 AM »
My feelings are very similar, Que, except the center of my gaming is the 360 rather than the PC.  I see very little reason to move on from it.  I'm very happy playing what I have (including Diablo 3) and what I have yet to get for it.  What I've seen so far of the new gen is simply not compelling enough to get me to part with so much cash.  I'm still thinking about a year is a realistic estimate of when things dry up in my current environment, and the new stuff ramps up enough to be desirable.  Right now, no way.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #21 on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 08:52:42 AM »
Well, I've just confirmed that the Playstation 4 is not region-free.

Technically, the hardware will work (any disc will open with any PS4) however the software is certainly not.

I got a physical copy of Killzone Shadow Fall, played some, figured I wanted to play co-op which is only available via DLC. So I bought the Season Pass. It's not working. I thought it might be a technical issue, so I "renewed licences" via the settings and I downloaded the DLC manually from the PSN Store. Still nothing. I contacted both Sony and Guerrilla Games (GG).

Sony says Guerrilla Games made region-specific software for each region of the PSN Store, contact them to fix it. Guerrilla Games says it's a Sony issue, contact them to give access to your account.

GG's official response:
Unfortunately DLC is region locked. As you have a US disc this can only access US DLC and not DLC from your PSN store.
This is something we cannot change from our end as it is a PlayStation policy.
So if you have any complaints I would advice you to contact PlayStation directly.

This isn't a situation where the DLC is not available in my region therefore it cannot work. No, the DLC is readily available and it is licensed to my account but it's not the "right" version to match with disc. One would wonder, what difference does it make when you have the "Season Pass?"

To make matters worse when I bought the disc I took care to check the disc region, which specifically says "ALL" regions.

According to GG that has no relevance and no bearing on the regional restrictions. WTF.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #22 on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 10:00:10 AM »
That is so dumb. Region restrictions are one of the worst parts of videogames.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 11:12:46 AM »
What a crock.  Can you get your money back, or trade to a different copy of the game?

Also, wow, this thread . . .  Seven years!

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #24 on: Friday, August 01, 2014, 04:05:51 PM »
What a crock.  Can you get your money back, or trade to a different copy of the game?

Also, wow, this thread . . .  Seven years!
Haha I know, I couldn't resist reviving it ;D

Seriously, it is such bullcrap.

I've e-mail Sony and I'm waiting on their response. I'm gunning for one of three options: they can give me a working copy of KZSF (digital or physical), give me a working Season Pass, or refund me for the season pass. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.

It just blows my mind that no matter what is publicized and regardless of what is actually written on a disc these absolutely ludicrous regional restrictions find a loophole to be enacted on us.

Right now, I'm afraid of buying any console games any more. I was considering Assassin's Creed Unity for the PS4 but now I'm thinking "What if it doesn't work online? What if the DLC codes which will inevitably be in the box won't work? What if I can't buy content for it later?"

As much as I love the PS4, Sony are shackling it down with retarded bullcrap like this. Funnily enough, this is exactly the same reason I never got an Xbox 360 and one of the contributing factors for me avoiding the Xbox One as well. Granted I've had a fair share of regional issues with the PS3 but it stings a lot more when you're told "Oh yeah it's region free, you won't have to worry" then getting stabbed in the back by some regional restriction technicality.