Author Topic: I may be getting a new car...  (Read 4255 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
I may be getting a new car...
« on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 06:42:32 PM »
First up...fuck American made pieces of shit! I've had a 2002 grand am, since 2003, I treat it well, oil gets changed regularly, it gets serviced all the time, if it breaks I fix it. But since November, I have sunk $2000 into, about what the car is worth. It's getting to the point that it's nickle and diming me to death. Last week, both front end wheel bearings went out, so I got it fixed. That was Friday, tonight, my alternator just died. The battery light came on, and everything just started failing until the car died...Had to pay a tow-truck yadda yadda yadda...

Anyway, I seriously considering a Honda. Just not sure what kind. Probably like a 2007-08 somewhere in there. And I'm leaning toward a CRV, I dunno. Damn, I don't want to deal with a car payment.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: I may be getting a new car...
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 08:19:08 PM »
Yeah, I hear you about payments.  I've based my last two purchases off of avoiding having to pay them.  Of course, the money I've pulled out of GICs for my last car would have substantially helped keep my line of credit down while going to school....damn  :(

Do you have cash on hand?  If not, there's nothing wrong with dropping a couple grand on something older that will pretty much hold 90-100% of it's value over the next year while you save up a large chunk to avoid having to make payments for the next 3-5 years. Get a late 90's, early 2000's Honda or Toyota and you should be able to sell it for hopefully the same as you bought it in a years time (depending on the model).

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 08:26:28 PM »
I was thinking about that too.

Still trying to figure it all out. I can slap down about $2400 for a down payment, and maybe get a little for my grand am.

Been looking at different used Honda's online. They hold their resale value extremely well. Been looking at some CRV's, but for a 2008 with 50000 miles on it cost about the same a brand new 2010

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 11:24:06 PM »
Get a Honda Civic or Accord. Or get a Toyota Corolla.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, February 23, 2010, 11:30:20 PM »
My friend just got a new Subaru WRX.  He says it's pretty good.

I have no idea what your budget and the road conditions based on where you live, but it's just important to buy a car that you can use all the time, but is also hopefully fun to drive. 

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, February 24, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Gonna go check some stuff out this weekend.

I really really would like a CRV. But I don't think that's financially feasible right now.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 06:27:47 PM »
We just got one a few months ago since our other one got totaled in a hit and run.

Got a Nissan Maxima--it's pretty good but it's not as fuel efficient as Toyota Corolla or Sentras.
Taken.

Offline ren

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: Saturday, February 27, 2010, 06:30:25 PM »
I like CR-Vs. I don't know much about cars but whenever I'm in a Cr-V I'm impressed with them. They seem like they'd be really useful for practical, everyday stuff.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 06:56:41 PM »
So tonight on my way to class my car just started leaking coolant like crazy. I can't seem to see where it's coming from. But when I got new tires last year the guy said it was seeping coolant from somewhere. I don't remember where from. But he said when it started leaking it was going to cost around $1100 to get it fixed...

So, I'm really really pissed off about it right now. And I'm truly considering going to look at cars tomorrow. I've already been looking around online.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: Monday, April 05, 2010, 08:48:17 PM »
Take some time and look around, never rush into buying a car...especially a used car. But between those two I'd go Acura.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 12:13:39 AM »
I'd go for the Acura as well.

Here is a little nightmare story.

My cousin got a job in Saudi Arabia for two years, so he thought he'd buy a used nearly new car before going back to Canada.

He bought some expensive year old car from some foreigner going back to his country. Before he bought it, he made the mistake of going to some roadside type of mechanic (by the guy selling the car, who rode with him), and not going to a proper place on his own.

Anyway a month in, on the highway, his roof just came off from two points. Other weird stuff had also happened up till then, like the windshield constantly cracking, the doors loosening at the hinges etc.

I am not sure exactly what happened, but apparently the car had gotten into a major accident, where its frame had been damaged. This for some reason caused the roof to detach and stuff constantly.

He ended up selling it for scrap at a tiny percentage of what he paid.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 06:20:29 PM »
I test drove a bunch of cars today. First, I went and tested a CRV. Then I went and drove a 4Runner, a Rav4, a Saturn VUE, a KIA Sorento, Acura MDX...and a brand new orange Camaro SS...Just for fun.

First up. The fucking Camaro was a beast. It was just bad ass. I got it up to 100mph just for kicks. It was sweet. Highlight of my day! If you live anywhere near a dealership with one, just go drive it, sooo fun!

Out of all the cars I drove, I really liked the CRV and the Sorento the best. The MDX was awesome, but slightly out of my price range. Both cars pretty much handled the same. And they both had similar features. AUX audio, 4 wheel drive, moon roof, alloy wheels, cd changer, blah blah blah. They were really really similar. As far as price, the Sorento was a 2009, and cost $19000, the CRV was a 2007, and cost $19500. The CRV had less miles on it, and was slightly cleaner. I'm just trying to figure out which one I liked better. 

Decisions decisions. I need to get something somewhat soon. A couple days ago I figured out that my lower intake manifold was leaking on my Grand am. There is coolant getting into the block, and its making the car misfire as well as overheat like crazy. I'm sick of dumping money into it every 3 months. It's just worrisome and annoying. Just going to suck taking on a car payment.   

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 06:58:28 PM »
Camaros?  They still have that look that says "redneck behind the wheel" or "I am a Matchbox car". I hate Camaros.  Now the new 2011 Mustang or the 2010 Dodge Challenger... you're in business there.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 10:35:07 PM »
I saw Chargers and Challengers in person at the Cincy auto show.  I wasn't impressed.  They are a little too close to their 70s inspirations.

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday, April 06, 2010, 10:53:25 PM »
Have you looked at Infiniti G37s?  They're pretty good vehicles, if a bit too common on the road (where I live anyway).

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 12:51:10 AM »
Camaros?  They still have that look that says "redneck behind the wheel" or "I am a Matchbox car". I hate Camaros.  Now the new 2011 Mustang or the 2010 Dodge Challenger... you're in business there.

Honestly, the new Mustangs, Challengers, and Cameros all kind of have that whole redneck/matchbox vibe going on for me.  Don't know why.

Going back to Scary; are you sure you want to be dropping 20 grand on a vehicle?

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 06:00:54 AM »
I figure if I'm going to get one, I'm going to get something I like and that is going to last.

All to many times have I seen my sister or friend by some cheap car with high millage for $6000 only to see it die a year or two later. And during those two years fix something every 4 months. It's a headache, and annoying.

I've put close to $2000 in my car since November. Brand new tires, wheel bearings, tie rods, alternator, and now my lower intake manifold is spewing coolant everywhere. And I need to be able to get back and fourth to school and work reliably.

I've been arguing with myself since Monday about this. I don't want a car payment, but at the same time, I need something. I thought about getting a cheap car and putting some money into it, but I don't really want to mess with it honestly. I don't have a lot of free time, and I don't want the worry of messing with it. With the money I'm putting down, my payment will be around $220 a month, which is reasonable. My insurance goes up $191 dollars every six months. So all and all, I don't think it's a horrible deal. I dunno, have to decide today though. In the next couple hours. I don't think it will be on the lot for long.

This is the car I'm leaning toward.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
Have you looked at Infiniti G37s?  They're pretty good vehicles, if a bit too common on the road (where I live anyway).

Whether the American muscle is matchbox or not, at least it's distinctive.  I remember those cars well, but the Infinitis seemed to blend right into the cooking-sedan mix that was poured all over the convention center.  Overall, I was not impressed with the trends I saw (everywhere, but particularly) in Japanese cars.  Everyone's going to these butt-ugly sharp angles.  The Maserati GranTurismo coupe was by far the best-looking new thing I saw there that day.  Its lines still flow in a smooth, curved, classic style.  I loved the rust color on it too.  Lexus brought *every one* of its entries in the same bland gray/silver exterior.  The whole fleet looked ready for Hertz or Avis.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 10:12:10 AM »
I don't know if this matters, but I've had my 1997 Honda Accord since 2004 and have put at most 1500 bucks worth of work into it.

It could die tomorrow, but I certainly couldn't complain.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 10:16:56 AM »
I figure if I'm going to get one, I'm going to get something I like and that is going to last.

All to many times have I seen my sister or friend by some cheap car with high millage for $6000 only to see it die a year or two later. And during those two years fix something every 4 months. It's a headache, and annoying.

I've put close to $2000 in my car since November. Brand new tires, wheel bearings, tie rods, alternator, and now my lower intake manifold is spewing coolant everywhere. And I need to be able to get back and fourth to school and work reliably.

I've been arguing with myself since Monday about this. I don't want a car payment, but at the same time, I need something. I thought about getting a cheap car and putting some money into it, but I don't really want to mess with it honestly. I don't have a lot of free time, and I don't want the worry of messing with it. With the money I'm putting down, my payment will be around $220 a month, which is reasonable. My insurance goes up $191 dollars every six months. So all and all, I don't think it's a horrible deal. I dunno, have to decide today though. In the next couple hours. I don't think it will be on the lot for long.

This is the car I'm leaning toward.

Wait, your insurance goes UP?  How's that work?  And fair enough, I totally understand about not wanting to have to put money into the car or worry about it, I was the same way when I bought my last car.  As long as you properly figure out if the payments work into a budget you're fine (a lot of people don't really do that for some reason).  You've obviously crunched the numbers and yes, you totally can put a price on piece of mind. Sometimes it's worth paying for it.

Anyways, the internet being what it is, I'd take anything off of it with a grain of salt, but the 2007 CRV seems well received.  I wouldn't worry about the pricing you see there, TMV/Bluebook pricing is kind of skewered in that it doesn't include any overhead or profit for the seller really.  Most of the prices come from fire auctions and thus are a bit lower than actual market value and very regionally dependant. The only thing I would suggest is to make sure you get it checked out by a mechanic, even if the dealership is very reputable. See what you can work out with the salesperson/manager about that.

Whether the American muscle is matchbox or not, at least it's distinctive.  I remember those cars well, but the Infinitis seemed to blend right into the cooking-sedan mix that was poured all over the convention center.  Overall, I was not impressed with the trends I saw (everywhere, but particularly) in Japanese cars.  Everyone's going to these butt-ugly sharp angles.  The Maserati GranTurismo coupe was by far the best-looking new thing I saw there that day.  Its lines still flow in a smooth, curved, classic style.  I loved the rust color on it too.  Lexus brought *every one* of its entries in the same bland gray/silver exterior.  The whole fleet looked ready for Hertz or Avis.

True, they are very distinctive and pretty attractive from a design perspective.  I do like the aesthetics a lot more than many other cars, but it almost seems like it's just too much.  Like it's not a daily drive kind of thing anymore.  Again, I don't know what it is, I just can't put my finger on it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 10:50:42 AM »
Oh for sure. I went and drove it for a little while. I like it. It rides nice, has cool features, good safety rating. Super clean. One owner that traded it in for a new Odyssey. Nothing on the carfax. And it's a Honda certified used car. Nice warranty on it. It's not the most exciting car ever, but I'm looking for reliable and practical.  I looked around at some smaller lots, but they all seem so shady. Even if I have to finance just a little bit, I want it to be a nice reputable place.

Bill Legit's Used Cars just wasn't cutting it. I drove a Trailblazer from that place, when I got back I popped the hood and was checking the fluids and things like that there was oil mixed with the coolant. The dude tried to explain it away as the dex-cool breaking down, and it was perfectly normal. Which I've actually seen happen. Only thing was, it was regular coolant which doesn't do that, as far as I know. That experience completely made me dismiss GM cars all together. Unless I get one for free, there is no way in hell I'm getting another GM car.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 11:02:33 AM »
I don't know if this matters, but I've had my 1997 Honda Accord since 2004 and have put at most 1500 bucks worth of work into it.

It could die tomorrow, but I certainly couldn't complain.

I've had my '95 Mustang since early '96, and I still haven't spent that much in repairs.  New radiator and some throttle-bypass piece that froze shut.  (That was a fun couple of days.  Take your foot off the gas at all, engine dies.)  My biggest maintenance expense on that car was tires.  Damn, they're expensive.  $1000 worth of Michelin Pilots to replace the Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs that were there originally.  Those lasted all of 30K miles.  The Michelins are a harder compound, but they won't last much longer.  I know I've been lucky so far, since there is no money for repairs right now, let alone a new car.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 11:44:08 AM »
I had a CV joint go out and a motor mount break.  Also had to replace a part of the ignition.  It had worn so much over the years that the weight of the keys would pull the key back and the car would just quit going down the road.  I've had to replace some of the exhaust on it as well. 

I've spent some preventative money on it as well.  Things like changing belts and hoses.  I changed out all the belts a few weeks after I bought it.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 01:45:40 PM »
Oh for sure. I went and drove it for a little while. I like it. It rides nice, has cool features, good safety rating. Super clean. One owner that traded it in for a new Odyssey. Nothing on the carfax. And it's a Honda certified used car. Nice warranty on it. It's not the most exciting car ever, but I'm looking for reliable and practical.  I looked around at some smaller lots, but they all seem so shady. Even if I have to finance just a little bit, I want it to be a nice reputable place.

Bill Legit's Used Cars just wasn't cutting it. I drove a Trailblazer from that place, when I got back I popped the hood and was checking the fluids and things like that there was oil mixed with the coolant. The dude tried to explain it away as the dex-cool breaking down, and it was perfectly normal. Which I've actually seen happen. Only thing was, it was regular coolant which doesn't do that, as far as I know. That experience completely made me dismiss GM cars all together. Unless I get one for free, there is no way in hell I'm getting another GM car.

Yeah, if you're going to buy a used car, the safest place to do it is from a new car dealership.  They tend to only keep the better used cars around as it's a bit risk for them to sell a shit box that will break down in two weeks because the transmission was on the way out when they bought it.  The most important thing for a new car dealership in a city is their reputation as you usually have at least one other option in town with exactly the same product and pricing. Selling shitty used cars is a good way to tarnish your rep through word of mouth.

The lower quality used cars they get as trade ins either get sold to smaller used dealerships directly or sold to wholesalers in bulk lots and then passed off to the smaller used cars.  Anything they keep around is usually pretty good and has USUALLY been checked out by their mechanics and had any problems solved. Who knows though, there are shady motherfuckers out there everywhere.  At the very least I'd do a search with the BBB and just basically online (or if there's a business complaint database for the region you're in)...you know, just to be careful.  Also, thoroughly research the car you are buying.  You probably have already, but 20K is a lot of coin....make sure you avoid any weird surprises like having to switch the timing belt every 20,000 miles instead of 50,000 (example).

A lot of people will tell you never to buy used from a dealership, as there is a premium involved.  Those people are idiots. The opportunity cost involved in going through classifieds, checking out cars, finally getting one which is in the advertised condition, negotiating, and getting it checked out is extraordinary.  There is an opportunity cost involved in all the research and searching and a direct monetary cost involved in running multiple carfax reports and getting multiple cars checked out.  Buying used from a new car dealership is the safest way to buy used hands down. 

Buying from a used dealership is risky. I did it once and it worked out very very well for me, but only because I went in there informed and pushed as hard as I could for massive discounts on a car they wanted to get rid of. I could negotiate very aggressively because I could get the car anywhere....they were just pumped they were selling a car with a gas tank that was rusting off.  I ended up paying something like $2k for a mid-90s tercel with less than 100,000 KM on it that they wanted something like $3500-$3700 for. A thousand of that was because I found out it was insured in Ontario for a year....which drops the price of a car in BC substantially (salt). Checked under the car, saw the rust, hard balled on that and got I guy I knew to install a tank we got for basically free at a wrecker for nothing. Maybe had two oil changes over 5 years, drove the shit out of it, and only ended up getting rid of it because there was faulty wiring somewhere in the car and it kept shorting out, stalling the car.  None of the usual suspects were to blame so it apparently came down to testing all the wiring in the firewalls and shit...which I was not going to do. Ended up getting $500 for it, but could have easily sold it for $1,500-$2000 if I was a dick and lied about the electrical short to some schmoe off of craigslist.

That said, they did fucking take me on the sunroof.  It was aftermarket and it fucking leaked, no way to fix it without getting a new seal from the original manufacturer. Thank god for duct tape.

I've had my '95 Mustang since early '96, and I still haven't spent that much in repairs.  New radiator and some throttle-bypass piece that froze shut.  (That was a fun couple of days.  Take your foot off the gas at all, engine dies.)  My biggest maintenance expense on that car was tires.  Damn, they're expensive.  $1000 worth of Michelin Pilots to replace the Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs that were there originally.  Those lasted all of 30K miles.  The Michelins are a harder compound, but they won't last much longer.  I know I've been lucky so far, since there is no money for repairs right now, let alone a new car.

That is awesome.  I think the stigma with American vehicles is specifically referring to the entry level and mid-level models.  They seem to do well with the higher end (fuck, better than the Europeans at least) and trucks (although Toyota trucks still are pretty much the most bullet proof vehicles you can buy). Also, I know here it usually ends up being a fair bit cheaper to buy tires off of the internet (Even with shipping) if you are looking for anything other than standard rated radials.  You should check out sites like tirerack.com (I think....I will check my bookmarks when I get home).

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 02:35:50 PM »
I have no illusions.  From the noises I'm hearing, the next fix is going to be either the clutch or the fuel pump (eventually both).  Brakes can probably be resurfaced right now,  *Sigh*  I need a cash transfusion.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 02:37:41 PM »
Roush is one of the biggest honda dealers in columbus. It's also ranked number 1 in the city. My mom's neighbor swears by them, and they've bought like 3 cars from them in the last few years.

I pulled the trigger. I got a really good trade in for my car; $1500. They didn't do a compression check or anything so as far as they know it's tip-top. I got a pretty boss interest rate to at 5.4. Which brought my monthly payment down a good bit. I can afford the payment, but my stomach is still in knots about it. Blah. I'm trying to enjoy this, but I'm still feeling pretty stressed.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 02:52:05 PM »
Fucking clutches....I still think the wear rate of clutches is a scam...just like timing belts in general.  Is it hydraulic?  the good news is I managed to drive a car with a broken hydraulic clutch for about a year.  I think it was just a leaking slave cylinder though. You learn proper shifting technique fast when riding the clutch AT ALL means a jolt forward about 3-5 feet followed by a stall.

And Scary, I wouldn't worry about it.  Enjoy your new whip...car payments ain't no thang. More of a fact of life than anything.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 03:26:31 PM »
I've had a car payment exactly two years of my life.  Seriously.  Don't fault people who do.  A new(er) car is just something I've ever felt the need to have.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 06:43:13 PM »
I've never had a car payment but whatever you do don't ask about my MASSIVE student line of credit.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday, April 07, 2010, 08:04:49 PM »
Congratulations on the new car, scary.  Hope you like it, and it likes you.

I don't think my clutch is hydraulic, gpw.  It's got a stiff pedal and very direct feel.  I'm now getting some whiny groaning sometimes from a standing start.  No problems (yet) with functionality, though.

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #31 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 08:59:18 AM »
CR-Vs are solid.  My first car and not one problem.
Just bought a G37 last year and loving it.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: Thursday, April 08, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Thanks guys. I like it a lot. I'm still second guessing myself a little bit. But I really do like the car. It's so comfortable, and I love the features. It's going to be awesome for little road trips this summer.