Author Topic: Official Bloodborne Thread of Terror  (Read 2814 times)

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Official Bloodborne Thread of Terror
« on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 11:36:45 AM »
« Last Edit: Monday, March 30, 2015, 08:25:31 PM by idolminds »

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
Re: New Bloodborne trailer
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 01:07:07 PM »
Muy interesante!

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday, August 12, 2014, 06:13:23 PM »
This is literally the first thing I've seen that makes me want a new console. The only thing so far. I won't be buying a PS4 for this, but there's a little part of me that will want to.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 08:23:42 PM »
This is literally the first thing I've seen that makes me want a new console. The only thing so far. I won't be buying a PS4 for this, but there's a little part of me that will want to.

This game makes me want a PS4. I keep telling myself if I eventually get a PS4, there would have to be a number of exclusives I want first. Bloodborne makes me throw that logic out the window though. I never even got into the Souls games, but somehow this looks way better, both from the faster action, and the amazing victorian horror setting.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday, March 24, 2015, 08:27:30 PM »
This is the latest game that *won't* sell me a PS4.  From Software strikes again with sadistic difficulty.  They can keep it.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #6 on: Monday, March 30, 2015, 07:28:08 PM »
I took advantage of the Target deal this week.  Last of us bundle for 399, and you get a $50 gift card.  I immediately turned that around and took advantage of the b1g1 50% off deal on games they have going.  Grabbed Bloodborne and Final Fantasy Type 0 that I'll switch out for Dark Souls II in a couple weeks.  I suspect either a price drop or redesign (maybe both) will be announced at E3.  Seems like we've been seeing deal after deal for some time now.  Anyway, on to Bloodborne.

I've put a few hours into it and it looks and feels like a Dark Souls game.  However, where you had to exercise some patience when fighting in Demon's/Dark, you have to be fairly proactive in Bloodborne.  It's an odd but welcome change, and really serves to shake things up a little.  If you didn't like Dark/Demon's, you're not going to like Bloodborne, though.  If you did, it's a must-own

Offline beo

• Veteran
Re: Official Bloodborne Thread of Terror
« Reply #7 on: Friday, May 01, 2015, 09:26:52 AM »
loving this game so far. so much so that i've recorded a couple of farming runs and planning on some more.

not sure how much use they are to anyone here, but thought i'd share!

- Vial farming at ~lvl75 (possible much lower)
- Echoes farming at ~lvl75 (possible from around lvl60 - maybe a bit lower)

Offline ender

« Reply #8 on: Thursday, October 15, 2015, 09:15:32 PM »
So I'm playing Bloodborne alongside Metal Gear Solid V. I was really, really frustrated with it at first. But something in me kept wanting more. It's so challenging at times, but the gameplay mechanics are insanely satisfying when you begin to work out the strategy. The fast paced nature of it is much different than Dark Souls games... but I am getting the hang of it. As with all the Souls games, I find myself throwing my controller down next to me and saying horrible curses. But I just FINALLY beat the first boss and leveled up quite a bit. Starting to really start to move through it at a pace that feels right.

I often like really challenging games like this -- it keeps your gaming reflexes and skills stronger. There are many times that I wish there were more games that had excellent combat and gameplay that is strictly about the mechanics and strategy. I miss Ninja Gaiden for the XBOX so much, because I felt that game REALLY did story and mechanics well. I think MGSV also has great mechanics, so I've been thinking about the GAMER type games. Too often, I feel newer games go for grand storytelling and never really rise above their shitty gameplay. The feeling of mastering skills is so much more satisfying to me as a gamer than putting in time for time's sake. Its good to feel like your body and mind have been pounded into submission.

I just hope my controller isn't broken by the end of it.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #9 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 12:35:19 AM »
Did I really never post about Bloodborne here? That doesn't seem possible. Just did a quick search and didn't find much else, though, so ...

Well, I did get a PS4 and I did get Bloodborne, and I'm very glad I did. This game is phenomenal. Not perfect, and it has some weaknesses the Souls games do not, but it also has strengths that they do not. It's a little more of a straight shot in a lot of ways, but not so much so that the game feels cheapened, and in fact the way that it works makes the experience feel more concentrated and powerful. Which isn't to say that the game is simple or short, as it is neither ... but the experience feels more distilled to a certain essence, more potent.

Anyway, the game is fucking fantastic. Stick with it, ender. You will see and experience a wide array of trial, frustration, joy, and just plain weird shit. The game does a great job of subverting expectations in a variety of ways. I won't spoil anything, but suffice it to say that the game is not entirely what it first appears to be, and that eventual realization will likely drive your need to see more of it. And it will still have more to show you.

This is still easily my game of the year at this point. There are other games that might win out if I actually took the time to play them, but of everything I've played and most of what I've seen, there's no contest.

Offline ender

« Reply #10 on: Friday, October 16, 2015, 07:42:12 PM »
Beat the second boss and leveled up quite a bit after. Now this is getting super awesome... the gameplay is much more fluid for me and I'm not dying as much. Wow, what a great game. I am glad I'm sticking with it, definitely on par wit the Dark Souls games. Whew. What a rush.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Monday, November 23, 2015, 10:54:45 PM »
The Old Hunters is upon us, and everyone loves it.

I'm totally pumped for this one. Bloodborne may lose out to Fallout 4 in the GOTY deliberations I have with myself, but it also very well might not. It's easily one of the strongest if not the strongest game that I have played this year, and in several years prior. Reviews for the DLC indicate that there's a whole ton of new weapons, tools, and attire, 5 new boss fights, and a hefty amount of content. The narrowest it got was one review which said "about 5 hours, but probably 10 if you get everything", and the most optimistic outlook on content was another review which said "we spent 15 hours, but still didn't find nearly everything" including one of the new weapons. Everyone also agrees that there's a nice, satisfying chunk of new lore to discover, and that everything is more or less "hey, here's more Bloodborne" but in the best sense of that phrase. The new areas look great, and the quality is supposed to be entirely on par with the base game.

Speaking of which, there are some updates to the base game that came with the DLC which all players will be able to experience, whether they get the DLC or not. There's a new faction which apparently gives you more reason to invade the games of others (I haven't read up on specifics, but people said something about it being a league of monster-slayers? not sure), and you can summon some of the Old Hunters to help you with boss fights even without being online. Which is great, since I'm not going to be paying for more PS+ right now since I have way too many games to play and nothing I currently want to play online.

Can't wait to get my hands on this, but very frustrated that I've got so much else to play. However, it might be something I wait on just a little bit simply because I'd love to be able to play it online and as mentioned, I'm not going to get another month of PS+ right now just for that. But we'll see. I might cave come December.