Author Topic: Top 10 blunders.  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Top 10 blunders.
« on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 02:26:07 AM »

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
Re: Top 10 blunders.
« Reply #1 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 03:57:20 AM »
I certainly disagree with number one being a blunder at all.  There were no negative effects at all from that initial denial, and the alternative could have been very damaging.  In fact, apart from the initial design phase, the way MS has handled the whole 360s dying thing is pretty much textbook good business practice. 

I also think #7 is a bit retarded because it's mainly affected by external sources.  The Sony Kotaku thing is a bit of a joke because this kind of thing happens all the time, and no one gives a shit.  Pretty much before any major Apple day or whatever, they have to send out a ton of Cease and Desist letters and generally the media handles it very well unless it's completely retarded (like Apples C&D letters over terms relating to 'pod').  That doesn't make it OK in and of itself, but it reflects poorly on Kotaku when they make a huge fucking deal out if it when they are somewhat dependent on the good nature of their contacts at Sony who would probably be just as well off dealing with larger, more established, and more professional sites. When the whole thing went down I remember thinking that it was just a bunch of dick waving and collective high-fives in the games "journalism" community.  A bunch of people just pumped because they had finally found an example that could be construed to make people think they were at all relevant to anyone above 17 years old.  "See, I already HAVE a real job - and it comes with influence!!"  This interpretation of it doesn't make me look at it any differently. 

Like nothing else in recent memory, this event warned game companies that they still need the videogame media

This I find particularity interesting in light of recent inter-events.  I've always wondered how these commercial blogging sites like Kotaku and such can run a buisness model that essentially is based on stealing stories and images from smaller blogs, and use it to attract high amounts of traffic.  I mean, the only way Kotaku and such can work is under a model like that because of the small amount of overhead, but at the same time I'd feel like I was getting screwed if I was the one getting leached off of.  Sure, they provide links to the original usually, but a lot of times it's like a trail of three links, and no one fucking clicks on them anyways because Kotaku just copies and pastes the entire article anyways. 

Well, recently Kotaku got busted stealing pictures from blogs, and the angry inter-backlash had profound effects.  Like nothing else in recent memory, this event warned large blog/news sites that they still need to give credit to people who actually do the work.

#2 is also retarded.  The only way it makes sense as a blunder would be if Activision had actually acquired Viv./Blizzard (a merger and an acquisition are two completely different things), and they had done so for an amount of money that would appear below market value.  Essentially all the article here is saying is that EA fucked up because they didn't acquire Blizzard, made some other acquisitions, and then commented that there were no good houses left to acquire. The thing is that's not what happened at all, and the two things are completely separate events. 

-EA's own acquisitions have nothing to do with anything so they really shouldn't really be mentioned.  It provides context for his comment, but that's it. 

-The blunder that I think they mean to point out is that he put his foot in his mouth.  Except he didn't:

Is it ripe (for mergers), or has it already been picked? I would argue that it's been largely picked
That doesn't mean it's done. I think there will be more consolidation to come. But let's just say a lot has already happened.

Quoted three (2 business) days before a huge merger announcement? Maybe someone DOES have their finger on the pulse of the industry. Even if he doesn't, one (very large) merger doesn't disprove his theory.  If anything, it only proves it (were you to look historically at the consolidation of modern market industry). All in all, it's just kind of a stupid and sloppy comment for NG magazine.  I don't know if they're trying to compare two very different deals and EA lost out or trying to show that he put his foot in his mouth, but all they really did in both cases was make me think about how they're totally wrong on both counts.

Beyond that, to be completely fair to the guy at EA, any sort of merger or acquisition between VU and EA would have most likely been completely impossible unless it was a total hostile takeover.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #2 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
I found this part hilarious:

Fortunately the Greeks had a saying for just this moment: post hoc ergo propter hoc. For those of you who don't speak Roman, that means “after moneyhat, therefore because of moneyhat.”
First of all Greek ≠ Roman.  Secondly, the language is called "Latin," not "Roman."

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #3 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 11:04:19 AM »
Yeah, I laughed at that for a while Scott. I think they were trying to be funny, though.

I also laughed at the part about the 5 people who own PS3's having to return them.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 02:22:06 PM »
I don't know, I think the red rings of death is still a serious enough problem to where people are still kinda iffy about buying a 360. The dude in GameStop tried to convince me that the problem was less than 1% of 360's sold.

A lot of these blunders I've never even heard, they can't be that big.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #5 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 02:37:02 PM »
I think the 360 Elite and the SKU "blunders" are related and true. First, having multiple SKUs for the systems is retarded. Thats why the Wii is great. Witness the following exchange.

Clueless Parent: Hello, my child wants a..."wii"? Is that right? I want to buy a Wii.
Clueless Salesman: Why of course! Here is a Wii. Would you like to purchase a warranty that you'll never use?
Clueless Parent: Of course!

See, easy. Now then.

Clueless Parent: I want to buy an Xbox 360 and/or Playstation 3. Give to ZIM!
Clueless Salesman: Ok...what model?
Clueless Parent: Didn't you see my name? I'm clueless. I have no idea what you mean. Ugh...I'll take the cheapest one so my child will hate me for not spending more on the better model.
Clueless Salesman: Good good, now about that warranty...

Stop confusing people. Have one model that costs X amount of dollars. Then from there, you drop the price as time goes on. That means stop coming up with new bundles that RAISE the god damn price of the system. Its like they've never seen a console release cycle before. If you don't want to lower the price, then you pack in a game thats already made you a billion dollars. This isnt rocket science.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 06:56:27 PM »
I don't know, I think the red rings of death is still a serious enough problem to where people are still kinda iffy about buying a 360. The dude in GameStop tried to convince me that the problem was less than 1% of 360's sold.

A lot of these blunders I've never even heard, they can't be that big.

That's essentially my point.  Were the guy to admit to the fact that they break down about as fast as an American economy class automobile before MS was ready to announce the extension of the warranty you'd be dealing with a situation where sales would most likely dry up completely. Instead, you deny while your legal department and engineering department looks into it, and then you announce official recognition of the problem at the same time you announce the measures you're taking to rectify the situation.  It makes no business sense at all to recognize the problem and accept liability before you have a solution. 

I won't buy a 360 for a year or so mainly because of the red ring problem.  I'm not saying that wasn't a fuck up - it totally is, but the root of that problem didn't even take place in 2007, and that's basically what happens when you start trying to sell products for as cheap as possible - you run into a problem where it's in your best interest to buy low quality components that don't affect the actual specs (heatsinks, drives, fans, and connectors are generally what they can try to save the most cash on).  All I'm saying is that unlike what the article is trying to say, the guy didn't fuck up from a PR standpoint - he pretty much did it perfectly.

Edit:  And I totally agree about the SKUs, but I don't know what the solution is.  Only offer the premium from the start and charge premium, or go barebones all the way?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 07:13:51 PM »
I think you just go with what you want the system to be. There is no premium or barebones, theres just your system and it has these specs and costs this much. The end. There was no premium or barebones PS2, Gamecube, Xbox, or Wii. There was the one model and thats what you bought. Later on they made bundles and stuff, but the system hardware itself didn't change.

Now you've got shit like differently sized hard drives, wired/wireless controllers, what expansion ports are on the thing...all different from different models. I think it would do them a lot of good to really decide what they want in there as standard and leave it alone. Look at the 360. Since MS decided to release an SKU without a HDD, devs can't make use of it to improve their games. It was stupid of them not to make it standard.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
Oh, I know, but from the companies perspective do they want to sell units for cheaper or add more features? Essentially what I'm asking is would we as consumers be better off if we only had the option of the barebones 360 or the premium one.  I mean, ideally I think microsoft would have loved to just offer one model with the hard drive, wireless, and all that but it just wasn't financially feasible to do so.  Yet, were they to release the system without any of these things, it would have paled in comparison to the features of the PS3.   I do hope that the next generation only offers single Skus, but I hope they don't regress the hardware because of that.  HDDs can be a great thing on a console.

But the more I think of it, I can understand why they did this.  Console price drops are great for consumers, but not necessarily for manufactures and as more and more money gets thrown into R&D and the actual hardware, they only stand to loose more if a price war breaks out.  Switching hardware out for superior hardware (specifically hard drives) avoids this since they know that barring any major catastrophic events, those larger HDDs will be most likely the same price in a year or two as the smaller ones are now and no contractual arrangement is in place for them yet.

I don't really mind the bundles in theory as all it does is give consumers more options.  I think the only problem is they're going about it the wrong way in that they're altering components that affect functionality.  Don't fuck with connections or anything like that, and don't make it a boolean system where you either have this or you don't. Perhaps having a 40GB hdd vs a 100GB hdd, or even wireless G vs. wireless N. You could upgrade later or whatever, but when it comes down to it there should not ever be any situation where one persons version of a console completely lacks seemingly neccesary features like wireless capability. 

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: Friday, December 28, 2007, 09:49:17 PM »
I certainly disagree with number one being a blunder at all.  There were no negative effects at all from that initial denial, and the alternative could have been very damaging.  In fact, apart from the initial design phase, the way MS has handled the whole 360s dying thing is pretty much textbook good business practice.

Mm?  Do you think it was worded wrong, because I can't see how you could call it anything but a blunder otherwise.  The system may have as much as a 33% failure rate.  That simply doesn't happen to competently designed, properly tested systems.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #10 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 01:26:29 AM »
Mm?  Do you think it was worded wrong, because I can't see how you could call it anything but a blunder otherwise.  The system may have as much as a 33% failure rate.  That simply doesn't happen to competently designed, properly tested systems.
Yeah, I think it was just worded in a way to made it look like the whole case (including the repairs) was a blunder. I think the "blunder" was the initial problem and I have the "How could this have happened?" reaction. However, the aftermath and how Microsoft handled it is exemplary.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #11 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 11:49:59 AM »
Kind of a stupid article.  I was expecting something more interesting.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 06:18:50 PM »

Pretty much what Xessive said.  I don't think anyone can deny that there is a hardware flaw, but that's not what the article is talking about at all (the problem didn't originate in 2007 either).  The article is talking about how MS handled it, and they handled it pretty well. 

I guess you have to fill up shitty internet top ten lists somehow though right?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #13 on: Saturday, December 29, 2007, 11:34:25 PM »
Hehe good ol' internet time-killer lists will always be here to see us through these not-so-exciting times.