Author Topic: Sid Meier's Pirates!  (Read 2107 times)

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
Sid Meier's Pirates!
« on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 11:53:59 AM »
I just purchased this game for the third time.  I bought the Xbox version back in 06 after a long drought of not being able to play any Sid Meier games (my computer had crashed hardcore and all I was left with was a Mac).  Really enjoyed the game.  I had never played the first one.  Last week I grabbed the PSP version on a whim during a local Sam Goody store closing sale.  Watered down a little, but will probably stay in my PSP for a while.  Very nice to just play about 10-20 minutes before bed.  Well, I've lusted after the PC version for a few years now, but all I've been able to find is the cardboard sleeve version.  I wanted the original game with the map and good manual (I'm a sucker for good manuals).  I think I found a reseller on Amazon still selling the original packaged game so I bit.

Long story short, I don't know what it is about this game that makes it so enjoyable.  But I certainly do not regret buying it three times.  I guess it's got that carrot on a stick thing down pat.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Sid Meier's Pirates!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 12:50:00 PM »
Yeah, I bought the PC and PSP versions. I haven't played either in a while, but when I do I get readdicted and play a ton.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:30:04 PM »
Yeah, that about sums it up for me as well.  I can't remember if I ever got around to buying the PSP version, but I did play it a bit just to check it out at the very least.  I have the PC version as well, of course.  Bought that right when it came out.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #3 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 01:34:17 PM »
It's so damn pretty.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #4 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 03:59:59 PM »
What makes Pirates (remake) so good - it's just fun. It's a sandbox and you can travel around and do whatever until...well, you feel like stopping. There's no real main story or main quest here, just a bunch of different game features - you just go ahead and have at the world as you see fit. You can do this until the cows come home, basically.

If you loved Pirates, I would also suggest Mount and Blade - it has the same single-player sandbox open-world kind of thing with no real main quest going on here, but it's more of a medieval action game. You can go alone; or round up a group of party members; or even get yourself even an army - and just have at the gameworld as you see fit. Mount & Blade is more of a direct-style control (WSAD to move; mouse for attacks), not click-and-point. And I should mention - it has the best horse combat I've ever seen on-screen. Just one thing: Mount and Blade's graphics are dated - as in GeForce 2 dated. You really should look past that minor blemish, if you ask me. Awesome game.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #5 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 06:20:22 PM »
Graphics aren't an issue with that one.  There are a number of mods that do absolutely fucking astounding things to that game, visually.  But yeah, it's a fairly good comparison.  It's a lot tougher to get the hang of, harder in general, and considerably deeper than Pirates!, but it does feel kind of similar in some ways.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #6 on: Saturday, January 23, 2010, 07:21:51 PM »
Graphics aren't an issue with that one.  There are a number of mods that do absolutely fucking astounding things to that game, visually.
Nice!
I'd love to see you list a some of those mods, over on the M&B Thread. :)

But yeah, it's a fairly good comparison.  It's a lot tougher to get the hang of, harder in general, and considerably deeper than Pirates!, but it does feel kind of similar in some ways.
Pirates is probably easier b/c it's more click-and-point kinda game, for the most part.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday, January 26, 2010, 08:55:19 PM »
I got screwed.  Even though the product dimensions suggested otherwise, I got the plain jane cds in a cardboard sleeve.  On its way back to Amazon.  Anyone know of a surefire way to get it in the original packaging, outside of eBay?