Author Topic: Do you wear cologne?  (Read 6124 times)

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
Do you wear cologne?
« on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 04:23:01 PM »
I just got back from the store, and some lady told me that I smelled nice, and she asked what kind of cologne I used. The thing is, I don't wear cologne. I don't even own a bottle. It's just soap and water, and some right guard for the pits. Maybe my clothes smelled like detergent, and that stuff smells pretty good.

Anyway, do you cologne? What kind?

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
Re: Do you wear cologne?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 04:25:44 PM »
I don't wear any. Usually the smells give me a headache, plus I've got sensitive skin and that kind of thing makes my skin burn.

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 04:31:47 PM »
Only when I shave with a blade, which is, oh, about twice a year tops.  Norelco doesn't give me all those little cuts that benefit from a little smelly alcohol.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 04:37:30 PM »
Yeah, thats pretty much the reason I don't wear any. I have really sensitive skin. If I ever wear cologne I have to make sure none gets directly on my skin or I break out something fierce. I even have to watch what kind of soap I use. And I actually usually end up using baby soap.....

Offline shock

• Poster Child
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 04:57:44 PM »
Deodorant + showering + clean clothes = good enough for me.  People always say I smell good, too.  Cologne is too "in your face" for me. 
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline wizall

« Reply #5 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 05:39:57 PM »
Scary, in my experience when a girl says you smell nice, that's code for wanting to nail you.  :)  Just kidding, I'm not really so crass.

But yeah, same situation with me.  I use deodorant and (try to) wear clean clothes.  That's often enough.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 05:49:07 PM »
Same here, though I'll occasionally put on a little Old Spice or something (very little) if I'm going out somewhere nice with the wife or something, though.  Mostly just because I have stuff that I haven't used up and probably never will.  I too seem to get the "you smell nice" thing even when I haven't done anything in particular to warrant.

Maybe all of us just smell awesome naturally while all other people smell like they've been rolling in garbage.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 06:01:44 PM »
I have never had anyone say I smell nice. Maybe thats a clue....damnit.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
Same here, though I'll occasionally put on a little Old Spice or something (very little) if I'm going out somewhere nice with the wife or something, though.  Mostly just because I have stuff that I haven't used up and probably never will.  I too seem to get the "you smell nice" thing even when I haven't done anything in particular to warrant.

Maybe all of us just smell awesome naturally while all other people smell like they've been rolling in garbage.

Old Spice? We're talking about your scent here, something that weighs in on the major sense of someone else. I think you owe it to yourself and anyone else who might cross personal bubbles with you to spend more than $2.50 on your advertising smell.

I've been wearing "Chrome" for the last eight years and I've never met anyone who didn't like it (well this one dude didn't, but only because his girl kept smelling me). I hold the bottle parallel to my chest at two feet away, spray and waft through it. This way you won't smell it if you're just around me, but when you get close enough to smell it...you'll want a piece.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:04:42 PM »
Yeah, I go for the none existent smell if I can, which probably means I smell like my shampoo and conditioner. I can deal with that.

I dunno, pretty much every person I can remember who put some sort of scent on more than two times a year was a chump.... especially younger people. Most of the older people I know who did it were fine, it's thing that applies mostly to ours and the last generation. Maybe it's just because the younger people who put too much cologne/perfume on are just stupidly trying to be "mature" or it's reflective of a personality that I just clash with. Honestly, whenever I notice anyone has cologne in any sort of non-super fancy setting I instantly think less of them. Really, who needs to smell like they they're important? Attention whores, people who don't actually know how to bath, or people who... well, think they're important.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:13:21 PM »
I just rub myself with sour cream after I get out of the shower. It smells better.

Cools

« Reply #11 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:14:08 PM »
Occasionally, when I have an important meeting, date, etc. I never use more than one spray.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:17:19 PM »
I never wear cologne, I used some Axe body spray for awhile when I got it as a gift and it was fairly nice, but the stuff is too expensive and it goes quick.  I get the "you smell nice" comments every now and then too, I guess its the Old Spice deodorant I use or the Axe body wash I use in the shower.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:33:51 PM »
Yeah, I go for the none existent smell if I can, which probably means I smell like my shampoo and conditioner. I can deal with that.

I dunno, pretty much every person I can remember who put some sort of scent on more than two times a year was a chump.... especially younger people. Most of the older people I know who did it were fine, it's thing that applies mostly to ours and the last generation. Maybe it's just because the younger people who put too much cologne/perfume on are just stupidly trying to be "mature" or it's reflective of a personality that I just clash with. Honestly, whenever I notice anyone has cologne in any sort of non-super fancy setting I instantly think less of them. Really, who needs to smell like they they're important? Attention whores, people who don't actually know how to bath, or people who... well, think they're important.

Can you explain to me what you mean by "smell important"? What does important smell like exactly?

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:45:13 PM »
A men's room.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
It's the same as acting like you're an important person when you, clearly, are not. Smelling important is just another way to approach it.

Offline Schlotzky5

« Reply #16 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 09:12:41 PM »
I thought every guy wore cologne. I mean I dont use the shit every day, but whenever I wear something decent i'll give it a spray. I use lacoste. not the kind in the green bottle but in the silver.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 09:30:39 PM »
It's the same as acting like you're an important person when you, clearly, are not. Smelling important is just another way to approach it.

Yes, but I understand when a person acts important. What I can't picture (or imagine to smell) is when someone's aroma is pretentious. Do you think everyone who wears cologne is is one of these people?

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 10:14:16 PM »
Not everyone, but often. I look at it not so much as pretentious, but just overvaluing one's worth the to world (or attempting to seem valuable).

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 10:26:11 PM »
I'll just keep quiet.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 10:27:14 PM »
I used to use some every now and then but I lost the bottle during a move and never bought more. I never liked using a lot, but I'd throw on a little before doing something important. It seems to help with the opposite sex if used correctly.

And don't even get me started on Axe. I dunno about the body wash stuff, but I have always despised the smell of the spray. My roommate used to douse himself in that. Ugh.

Offline nickclone

• Veteran
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 10:37:19 PM »
Not everyone, but often. I look at it not so much as pretentious, but just overvaluing one's worth the to world (or attempting to seem valuable).

Just think of it as a piece of someone's appearance. Would you think of a woman wearing make-up overvaluing her disappearance? How about someone who works out, has a nice haircut or know hows to dress? Smelling good is just another piece in the puzzle of being sociable.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday, May 30, 2007, 11:23:08 PM »
Wow... I have to say I totally side with nick here.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #23 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 12:13:23 AM »
Simply smelling good and wearing cologne are different things. Continuing the make-up comparison, what about a woman who wears too much make-up? It creates a different effect than a cologne/perfume, but it's not something that generally makes me think better of a person during a first impression. And yes, as a general rule, I think less of a woman who wears too much make-up.

This isn't some golden rule that I live by, just something that my mind leans towards because of past experiences. I'll restate it more simply: Younger people (sub-40ish) who often wear perfumes to more everyday affairs (work/school/shopping) tend to be the kinds of people I don't get along with because they've often been wannabe big shots. There's several shades of grey in my judgement process and this is just, as you said, another piece of the puzzle.

Most of the people who helped shaped my opinion on the matter are lame punks from California, so a metro like you, Pug, would probably already be exempt from such opinions.
« Last Edit: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 02:41:33 AM by sirean_syan »

Offline beo

• Veteran
« Reply #24 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 02:35:11 AM »
yeah, i normally wear echo. it's a particularly light fragrance, and not at all "in your face". i don't wear it all the time, but if i know we're going to one of the slightly more uptown places, or if there's a girl out i think i might have a chance with, i'll slap a little on. it does help. i've been complimented on it many times, and it's certainly helped to tip girls into my favour. a girl i was seeing for a while used to nuzzle up to my neck because of it.

some people to tend to wear terrible, overpowering aromas - but if you pick something nice, it can work miracles. the £25 i paid lasted ages, and got me more compliments then any item of clothing i've ever bought - so in my book, it's money well spent.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #25 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 06:23:45 AM »
I kind of agree that it's lame to wear cologne all the time, similar to dressing up in your Armani Exchange and Gucci to go out to Wal-Mart.  I wear cologne on certain occasions:

- When I need to smell nice (date maybe)
- When I haven't washed my clothes/showered (the "portugese shower" happens often, AXE works as well)
- When I reek like booze/cigs/weed etc... around the 'rents

Lacoste and Chrome are both good ones mentioned, but my personal favorite is Polo Blue.  If you haven't smelled it, you haven't smelled good cologne.  It's fucking perfect.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #26 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:07:12 AM »
My favorite:

Calvin Klein Be.

Has to be the best scent ever made... I like it more than Polo Blue.

Offline Shadowswhisper

• n00b
« Reply #27 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:18:38 AM »
I eat salad with LOTS of onions for lunch. Then i go to gym for an hour. Colognes are wasted on me  ::)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #28 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:39:19 AM »
I am on Orkut, which is a social site like Facebook. Anyway I wrote somewhere that I liked CK be as a scent and then someone left me this message:

Hello!
How are you?
I'm Jenny Clark and I'm very happy to meet you here!
Well, I love perfumes and also work in this area.
So, when I saw that you are at the community Calvin Klein, I thought that will be very intersting invite you to visit my website.
All about perfumes and fragrances, with a lot of hints about this, and many pictures too.
I'll really like a lot if you visit my website and send me sugestions too!

The adress is on my profile! Take a look!
I think You'll be a perfume lover too!
Kisses by Jenny

Anyway I read that and wrote back:

Jenny you sound like a fucking psycho. No offense.

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #29 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:40:52 AM »
kisses by Pug

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #30 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:42:43 AM »
No kisses for her. They are all reserved for PoomC   :-*

Offline poomcgoo

• Poster Child
« Reply #31 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 08:10:58 AM »
Oh well I'd better put some cologne on then  ;D

Offline DrSbaitso

« Reply #32 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 08:17:47 AM »
Only if I'm going out to a restaurant / party / other social situation. Usually just one spray.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #33 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 08:23:36 AM »
Sometimes I wear some Armani Code or Hugo, but not very often.  Usually it's just Axe deodorant.

Offline WindAndConfusion

• Veteran
« Reply #34 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 09:30:02 AM »
Fuck it.

Offline TheOtherBelmont

• Post-aholic
« Reply #35 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 11:41:13 AM »
Fuck it.

Hahaha yes, the new Old Spice ads with Bruce Campbell rock so hard, theres another one where hes singing to a bunch of sexy ladies while playing the piano.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #36 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 03:04:56 PM »
Heh, I hadn't seen those.  That's pretty funny.

Also, in response to the random hate on Old Spice, I would never wear cologne based on how expensive it was.  I'd wear it based on whether or not I actually like the way it smells.  Especially given that, no matter what delusional fantasies people may have, I would guess that few people ever actually notice (or care) whether or not you're sporting any in the average circumstance, and once you've gotten to the point where they really do, chances are good that you made it there without any assistance from the cologne.  Provided you have a personality and don't smell like a pig farm, anyway, in which case you have other problems that I imagine require more depth of attention than just some shit in a bottle.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline JacksRag(e)

« Reply #37 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 07:06:09 PM »
Cologne.  Rhymes with alone.  Think about it.

Jokes jokes.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #38 on: Thursday, May 31, 2007, 11:41:01 PM »
Who wears cologne based on expense? I think people put on what they like.

And Que I love old spice haha. When I was a kid my father got it as a gift, and I liked it then. When I was old enough, I bought my own bottle and even used it in college. My friends laughed when they saw it in my cabinet, but hell it still is good in moderation.

Offline Raisa

• Veteran
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday, June 06, 2007, 03:07:26 AM »
hahah you guys are funny.  i agree, best to not wear every day.. people who wear too much are nuts.  Most scents make me sneeze.

Just liquid baby soap (can be used as shampoo) and water for me most of the time. I can't even use conditioner cause conditioner makes my headache.  Cologne/perfume only come in to the picture if I have to visit my grandmother.  She always gives us a bunch and gets upset when we don't use it.  So if I know i'm visiting her, i always spray a little on.  My aunt visited and gave three bottles of elizabeth arden scents and they're all sitting in the closet at home.. unused.. one scent  I do love is spirit of moonflower by bodyshop... it doesn't smell like perfume and it's VERY faint.. so might as  well not use it.

Syan, that's so right.. i think people who use too much of anything are attention whores.  Makeup is good to enhance not to cover.

Taken.