Author Topic: Gears 2 to have violence filter  (Read 17608 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Gears 2 to have violence filter
« Reply #120 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 02:37:16 PM »
Also, good to see you back KXL. :)

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #121 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 03:11:56 PM »
I have no problem with Cliffy B, Crytek, and anyone else complaining about piracy. You know what? Piracy sucks and is one of many problems hurting PC gaming as a whole.

I have a problem w/ Cliffy B talking like every PC gamer is a pirate. Sorry, but not all of us PC gamers are pirates. I got much better things to do than like my PC take forever and a day to download a full game -- such as be currently playing a game I actually bought at the store.

Nothing is more shameful than GOW PC not getting much support. One patch and that was it? That would've worked if the PC version was perfect out the box or if that one patch fixed all the issues. Sorry, Cliffy -- but lack of support ALSO hurt your sales on GoW PC, too.

BethSoft got it right. They dropped the PS3, PC, and X360 versions of FO3 all at once -- 4.7 million sold across all systems, WEEK ONE ALONE. Scott is right, that GoW PC dropped way too late. If it dropped the same exact day for PC and X360, that game would've sold probably a hell of a lot more PC version copies. Very likely, those gamers that own both X360 and PC would probably have opted for the PC version. Also, is there really a need for a X360 owner who has GoW X360 to buy it many months later on the PC for full price? I doubt it, since there's only on the PC version few new levels, one new game mode, and a SDK no modder is really using.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #122 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 08:22:01 PM »
Yeah, don't ever expect any version of a game to sell super well on a platform when the game has been out on another platform for months.  Unless it's Halo, forget it.  Gears was old fucking news to most of us when it hit PC.

天才的な閃きと平均以下のテクニックやな。 課長有野

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #123 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 08:34:20 PM »
What really pisses me off is I bought GoW for both the 360 and the PC.  So to hear Cliffy say shit like he did really is a kick in the teeth.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #124 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 08:40:39 PM »
You know, it also occurs to me that when you put out a game so long after on PC, people may pirate it just because they feel like the game already made its money and they don't see a reason to feel guilty.  I would think that a simultaneous release would see a lot more sales simply because the PC users would feel like the product was current, so more marginal pirates wouldn't justify an act of piracy and would go to the store instead.  I can think of at least 3 guys I know that would likely follow that logic.  What do you guys think?

I mean, delayed releases can't be good for sales in any case, but I think specifically it makes people more likely to pirate the game simply because it's easier to justify pirating an "old" game.  The impetus to scramble out to a store on release day is totally destroyed.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #125 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 09:54:41 PM »
Well, I didn't buy GoW PC because I had already played through the whole thing on 360. I still kind of want it, but I even passed when it was $15. Maybe $10 Ill grab it. But if it came out day and date with the 360 version it probably would have been a much different story.

In these days with few exclusives and lots of cross-platform releases, a delayed PC release is probably a really bad idea. I mean, I'm sure there are a few people that are total hardcore PC-only gamers, but I would bet the majority are simply gamers that can afford PCs. We've all got consoles. So why would we want to wait 6 months to a year to get the PC version? Before it was for the improved graphics and such, but with the HD consoles that isn't as much of a problem. And since a lot of games are built for controllers (like Gears), wanting KBM controls isn't as important either. Plus DRM issues and the history of bad ports, its no wonder delayed ports don't sell well.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #126 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 10:17:38 PM »
Well, I didn't buy GoW PC because I had already played through the whole thing on 360. I still kind of want it, but I even passed when it was $15. Maybe $10 Ill grab it. But if it came out day and date with the 360 version it probably would have been a much different story.

In these days with few exclusives and lots of cross-platform releases, a delayed PC release is probably a really bad idea. I mean, I'm sure there are a few people that are total hardcore PC-only gamers, but I would bet the majority are simply gamers that can afford PCs. We've all got consoles. So why would we want to wait 6 months to a year to get the PC version? Before it was for the improved graphics and such, but with the HD consoles that isn't as much of a problem. And since a lot of games are built for controllers (like Gears), wanting KBM controls isn't as important either. Plus DRM issues and the history of bad ports, its no wonder delayed ports don't sell well.

I also think with PC ports, it's as if many of these PC versions are coming off as lazy, in some shape, form or what have you. Like the PC version is an afterthought or something.

Look at GoW PC with its performance issues; ACPC's very stiff system requirements and how exiting the game is kinda of buried into being a chore; SC: Double Agent PC's issues with its saved game files and performance; Halo 2 PC requires Vista yet doesn't take advantage of DX10; Dead Space PC with its VSync on is causing issues with KB/mouse lag; R6: Vegas 1's not-so-good performance; GRAW PC's not-so-good performance; RE4 PC is best played with a control pad since the KB/mouse controls are awful; Bully PC has tons of graphical issues, bugs, and only supports for PC gamepads the X360 controller; etc etc.

And yes, Idol -- throw on top of all the PC port laziness the whole DRM issues, how do these publishers expect to sell some PC versions of their games?

Offline iPPi

• Roar!
« Reply #127 on: Friday, November 07, 2008, 10:32:49 PM »
Saw Gears of War 2 today at the stores, but refrained from picking it up just yet... got too much to do right now.  Definitely on my list of games to purchase though.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #129 on: Sunday, November 09, 2008, 08:54:28 PM »
"I uh... grunt a lot.  And I had to spend about 4 hours a night for 2 years working out my neck so that my neck would be big enough."

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #130 on: Monday, November 10, 2008, 07:23:51 AM »
My fiancee is finishing up her student teaching requirements for graduation, and had mentioned to me that some of her 6th graders were talking about this game.

Hell when I was in sixth grade I couldn't even have an album with a parental advisory sticker on it.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #131 on: Monday, November 10, 2008, 09:18:46 AM »
Yeah, things seem different now.  Jennie's son is 7 now.  We try to enforce the ratings:  No E10+ or up unless we say it's okay (thankfully both the 360 and the Wii support parental controls when it comes to game ratings) and same with movies and TV.  We'll approve certain things if it seems fairly innocuous like Guitar Hero III.

But we just took him and one of his friends to see Madagascar 2.  The other kid was talking about how he loves Halloween and the Saw movies and asked me if I saw Texas Chainsaw Massacre.  I was totally amazed.  This is a second grader we're talking about.

It's not just like that with ratings either.  Every kid now has a DS or a PSP and probably a console or two or three at home, not to mention an iPod of some sort.  Kids have cell phones in like sixth grade.  A thousand dollars in electronic toys.  I had to beg my parents for a NES and I never even got one.  I made do with G.I. Joe and Star Wars figures, and I maybe got a vehicle for one or the other for Christmas.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #132 on: Monday, November 10, 2008, 08:12:06 PM »
It's indicative of the spinelessness and general idiocy present in most "parenting" today.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #133 on: Monday, November 10, 2008, 10:08:26 PM »
You know, this story just wouldn't work without a population of meathead characters.  Makes me want to go out, eat some meat, and destroy stuff.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #134 on: Monday, November 10, 2008, 10:21:25 PM »
Haha, but that's the brilliance of it, right?  It just makes you want to flex your neck, pick up a tree, and kill a dinosaur.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #135 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 06:48:51 PM »
So, I'm going to finally pick my copy tomorrow. Been pretty busy playing F3.

I love this commercial. It just makes me want to play so much more.

Offline sirean_syan

• Global Moderator
  • Post-aholic
« Reply #136 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 09:17:21 PM »
It's a fine commercial and I dig it too. However, it also strikes me as something that people would put together from a really manly movie with emotional music to show repressed homosexual feelings between burly men. Seriously, look at the part where they're riding doing the drop pod thingy and Dom looks over at Marcus while he's intentionally trying not to make eye contact. Tell me you don't expect them them to just break the silence and lock lips, at least a little.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #137 on: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 09:43:20 PM »
I actually thought that was a fairly uncompelling commercial.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #138 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 04:03:29 PM »
I like it. It's kind of mellow, but intense at the same time. Well, maybe not intense...hmm, can't think of the word I'm looking for. It's cool though!

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #139 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 10:23:59 PM »
Commercial doesn't capture the feel of the game at all.

Offline Quemaqua

• 古い塩
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
  • パンダは触るな。
    • Bookruptcy
« Reply #140 on: Monday, November 17, 2008, 10:39:44 PM »
They had a commercial for the first game that sort of went the same route, but that one was infinitely better, I thought.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #141 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 12:42:32 AM »
Commercial doesn't capture the feel of the game at all.

Yea it doesn't. I don't like it at all, to be honest. To me it seems like they are obviously overcompensating for the lack of storytelling in the first game.

Offline K-man

• Post-aholic
  • HOW'S IT FEEEEEL IDOL
« Reply #142 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 09:54:18 AM »
Yeah, I think the "Mad World" trailer was much more effective, and a much better sell.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #143 on: Tuesday, November 18, 2008, 01:12:39 PM »
Yeah, I think the "Mad World" trailer was much more effective, and a much better sell.

That was a great ad.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #144 on: Tuesday, December 09, 2008, 02:59:01 PM »

Offline PyroMenace

« Reply #145 on: Wednesday, December 31, 2008, 06:49:02 PM »
Megan and I played through it over the weekend after Christmas, really really damn satisfying. Played some horde mode as well which I would like to play more of with some peeps.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #146 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 10:25:24 AM »
You know, after UT3 sold well over Steam, I wonder if Cliffy B will reconsider his thoughts and bring GoW2 to the PC via Steam...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #147 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 11:03:56 AM »
No D. Even if UT3 sells five million copies at $10, it won't equal the profits of Gears of War selling even 2 million copies (I know it sold more) at launch. That's why developers are far happier when a console games sells 2 million at launch versus a PC title that sells as much over a period of years.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #148 on: Sunday, January 04, 2009, 01:14:27 PM »
Even if UT3 sells five million copies at $10, it won't equal the profits of Gears of War selling even 2 million copies (I know it sold more) at launch.
Of course not -- b/c GoW2 upon release will be sold for $60 on the console upon release.

That's why developers are far happier when a console games sells 2 million at launch versus a PC title that sells as much over a period of years.
They want their quick buck, I know.

I just want somehow for GoW2 to wind up on the PC, dammit.

Offline ScaryTooth

• Veteran
« Reply #149 on: Saturday, January 17, 2009, 01:35:19 PM »
Shit, I love this game. Been addicted to it for 3 days straight, and I haven't even really touched MP. Just played like 2 rounds.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #150 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 06:48:19 AM »
There might eventually be a Gears Of War: E-Day game -- not sure if it'll be a whole new game, DLC, or what.

And there's a possibility there will be more Gears 2 DLC -- possibly, Single Player content.

NYCC 09: Gears of War Prequel Talk
Gears 2 writer hints that an E-Day game isn't out of the question.
by Greg Miller

US, February 7, 2009 - It seemed like one of those fan questions that Joshua Ortega, the writer of Gears of War 2, would dance around during tonight's New York Comic-Con Gears of War panel -- were there plans for doing a prequel that dealt with the events of E-Day, the day the Locust emerged and attacked the human race?

"You will not be disappointed in the next ten years," Ortega said. "It's a ten-year plan. Gears is long-term. The lancer is the new lightsaber."

On a panel focusing on all things Gears, the E-Day tidbit stood out from the pack. Sure, it was cool to see Carlos Ferro, the voice of Dom, mock his own performance and talk about his library of Gears-branded collectibles, and it was fun to listen to the panel talk about the comic book bridging the first games and the second game, but the mention of a decade's worth of Crimson Omens is the statement that got the room of fanboys all hot and bothered.

Another question that got the crowd going: are there plans for more single-player Gears of War 2 DLC?

"Keep watching," Ortega said. "You won't be disappointed."

Offline W7RE

• Post-aholic
« Reply #152 on: Sunday, February 08, 2009, 02:21:14 PM »
I just finished the single player campaign and I absolutely loved it. I've got other games to work my way through, but damnit I'm wanting to play Gears 2 again. I'll probably pick up Gears 1 sometime since I missed it and now it's cheaper.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #153 on: Sunday, June 14, 2009, 04:57:55 PM »
More Gears 2 PC rumors.
IGN keeping the rumor afloat here.

Gears of War 2 PC Rumors
Could Marcus Fenix invade computers?
by Jeff Haynes

June 11, 2009 - The PC rumor mill started to catch on fire earlier this afternoon with info that Gears of War 2, the critically and commercially acclaimed title from Epic Games and Microsoft Game Studios. According to one website, there were plenty of details that appeared to be pulled from an upcoming press release and even a preliminary box shot with the Games for Windows logo stamped on the front and limited edition details.

If this were true, this would be a large boost to the seemingly dead Games for Windows platform, particularly after a non-existent showing at this year's E3, where none of the titles shown displayed the banner or Live logo on the box. Landing a large title like Gears of War 2 would be an excellent game for PC owners, and it would also seem to be in keeping with the release of the original game on the PC as well: the first game came out on computers a year after its release on the 360 with a few extras. The supposed release date of the PC version, according the website, is December 4 of this year.

We contacted a Microsoft representative for comment, and received this reply: "Gears of War 2 is a great franchise for the 360, and so we are putting all of our attention into making sure that it stands out on that console. There are no plans to bring the game to the PC." Will this position change in the future? Currently, it doesn't seem likely. But if anything changes, we'll be sure to bring that information to you as soon as it becomes available.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #154 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 03:31:15 PM »
Cliffy B thinks the future of FPS's is becoming more like RPG's.

He goes on to praise Harvey Smith (one of Deus Ex's lead designers) and the Gearbox's upcoming Borderlands.

Future Of Shooters Is RPGs, Cliff Bleszinski Says
Praise Borderlands as a "shootery Fallout," cryptic about Gears of War.
By Kat Bailey, 07/07/2009

Few people would be better equipped to comment on the future of shooters than Gears of War creator Cliff Bleszinski. So where exactly does he think the genre is going?

"I had a conversation with Harvey Smith - one of the lead designers on Deus Ex - and said to him the future of shooters is RPGs. He said he completely agreed." Bleszinski told Develop Magazine.

He had high praise for Gearbox's Borderlands, a game being described as a science fiction first-person shooter with RPG elements.

"Randy Pitchford at Gearbox is an absolutely brilliant designer and business man, and I think Borderlands is not getting as much hype as it should, because it really looks like a more accessible, shootery version of Fallout."

As for whether RPG elements are in the cards for Gears of War, Bleszinski was cryptic.

"It depends on where things go. I mean, one could wean that from the comments I made earlier about the future of shooters is RPGs and see where things are going with us."

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #155 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 07:30:48 PM »
Ok, I hated Cliffy B before.  This is just crazy.  He praised Harvey Smith and Gearbox?  What is the world coming to?  Next he'll say that The Adventures of Bayou Billy was the greatest game of all time.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #156 on: Tuesday, July 07, 2009, 07:34:00 PM »
It's nice that Cliffy B finally figured out what Ion Storm, Irrational, and GSC pretty much figured-out a good while ago already....