Author Topic: The Ultimate Call of Duty 4 thread.  (Read 15512 times)

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Re: Call of Duty 4: Modern Combat -- Update: Requirements from Demo REVEALED
« Reply #40 on: Monday, November 12, 2007, 11:51:30 PM »
I need someone to verify the SP length before I buy this.  And $20 on steam?  Seriously?  Maybe I'll do it that way if they fix the issue.

Made in India heh. $25 incl. shipping.

They have Quake Wars for the same price.

Offline gpw11

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:07:51 AM »
Really?  Maybe I'll buy it from an...oh, wait that's right- if I do that Valve will write a virus on my boot sector.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday, November 13, 2007, 12:09:58 AM »
Well the Quake Wars they have is retail. But yes, Valve will throw a fit.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
Just finished COD4 and got some screenies for you.
« Reply #43 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »
Just finished it, and it was the most fun I had with a shooter since F.E.A.R!

I really loved it.

While at five hours or so, the game is really short, it is some of the most awesome five hours you could hope for. The action is fast paced, very intense and has more "holy shit" moments than any shooter I've ever played. While nearly every mission is fasted paced, one of my favorites was a beautiful thirty minute stealth sequence, that was heavily scripted, but highly enjoyable.

The heavy scripting allows for some great set pieces, that work out beautifully. CoD4 is a perfect example of how to put together set pieces in a shooter.

I found the only downside to be the friendly A.I., though it wasn't a problem at normal difficulty.

Initially I played at maximum, having read the ridiculous comment that the game was in the mold of Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon. The only thing it has in common with those games is real world weapons, and a storyline involving modern warfare. The gameplay is not at all tactical, and doesn't provide the same freedom of something like Rainbow Six. And playing at a higher level of difficulty isn't a good idea, mainly because the enemy AI gets unrealistically hard, while the friendly AI's mentally handicapped behavior ends most situations in utter frustration.

So I recommend you play at normal difficulty and blast through like you would any other shooter. The game actually feels more inspired by Michael Bay, than Tom Clancy. The storyline is actually quite good, and has a lot of Michael Bay moments... though without the cheese. :P

While CoD4 adopts most of the mechanics standard among modern shooters, it does innovate in that it allows you to shoot through certain materials. So if you see an enemy taking cover behind a crate or sheet metal, you can take him out. It also has plenty of moments where you are attacked by dogs, which is a little reminiscent of Wolf3D. Except while those dogs were cute, these can really set your heart pumping.

Anyway I've talked enough, on with the screenies. As you can see, CoD4 looks as good as any game released during the past year. What you can't see is that production values are top notch overall.

If I had to give the game a score, I'd give something in the low 90s.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/9786/cod4fyd8.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/2699/cod4cmr5.jpg
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/7105/cod4gpe5.jpg
http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4528/cod4sta2.jpg

« Last Edit: Thursday, November 22, 2007, 02:42:11 AM by Pugnate »

Offline Cobra951

• Gold Member
Re: Just finished COD4 and got some screenies for you.
« Reply #44 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 02:35:41 PM »
Just finished it, and it was the most fun I had with a shooter since F.E.A.R!

I really loved it.

While at five hours or so, the game is really short . . .

*Sigh*  I didn't stop reading there, Pug.  I read your entire post, and glanced at the pretty pics.  I'm glad you enjoyed it, but after those words I quoted, my overall perception is going to be marred.  I can't help it.  I don't want to help it.  That length is not acceptable to me in a full-priced game.  There has to be a line drawn somewhere.  When games dropped from 20 hours to 10 hours, the same arguments we're hearing now in defense of 5-hour games popped up.  What's next, movie-length games for $60?  Think of the tie-ins: the game is so faithful to the movie that it runs the same length!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #45 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 02:48:44 PM »
Well I got a local market version for $20. I'd be steamed -- no pun intended -- had I paid $60 for five hours.

edit:

It was actually more like six hours if I think about it. 11 to 1 last night, and eight to twelve or so this evening. But yes, full price would tick me a little.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
  • OWNet 4 Eternity & Beyond
« Reply #46 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 02:56:09 PM »
Sounds more like the length of an SP expansion than a full SP game.

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #47 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 03:35:36 PM »
The length is short but it took me a little more than 5 hours. The arcade mode is a lot of fun but I haven't bothered with MP yet.
I agree with Pug there's some out standing moments in this game and the stealth and the AC130 missions were my fav's. This is the best CoD game yet but strictly speaking it probably is the best FPS I've played in a long time but... I found R6V to be better, longer and more replayable.
Oh an it's about bloody time they left WW2 behind, it did allow for a more cohesive story this time out.

Pug what res' were playing the game on the lines look really jaggered.

Offline angrykeebler

• Veteran
« Reply #48 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 03:38:27 PM »
Beat the single game in like 5 hours..

i've logged on about 25 on the multi already... i love it! Totally worth the purchase.
Suck it, Pugnate.

Offline idolminds

• ZOMG!
  • Administrator
  • Forum god
« Reply #49 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 03:51:08 PM »
If you're into the multi its worth it, but if you're going for the SP then wait for a price drop. Seems to be the trend.

Anyone else notice the rim lights seem to be whacked it certain scenes? Like the 3rd screen pug posted. The soldiers have a bright rim light but theres no source for it. The sky looks darkened, theres no big explosion, etc. I noticed the same thing in certain part of the games trailer, while other scenes were like "WTF real!" looking.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #50 on: Friday, November 16, 2007, 10:55:25 PM »
Hey the forum resizes the screenies. You can drag the screenie to your address link, and if you are on Firefox you may need to click after dragging to expand it.

I was playing at 1650x1050 with 2x FSAA.

I should have probably increased that, as I was getting really smooth frames.

Yes I had more fun with R6:Vegas probably, but damn this game was good.

edit:

BTW Idol, quite right on the visuals. There is a bit of inconsistency through out.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #51 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 09:06:16 PM »

Yes I had more fun with R6:Vegas probably, but damn this game was good.
I'd bet COD4 allows you to save ANYTIME, though -- unlike R6: Vegas. :P

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #52 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 09:28:09 PM »
I'd bet COD4 allows you to save ANYTIME, though -- unlike R6: Vegas. :P

You'd be wrong... well on the console anyway... which is probably not what you meant... shut up. :-\

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #53 on: Saturday, November 17, 2007, 09:35:38 PM »
Hmmmm...
Hey Puggy -- can you Quicksave anytime on the PC version of COD4?

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #54 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 12:44:22 AM »
No but you know what, I realized something as I started to play through Gears of War on the PC. I am a save whore, and these linear shooters are much more fun when there is a checkpoint save system. It actually makes the harder bits more fun to play through, and requires more skill.

To answer your question, no.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #55 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 05:33:54 AM »
No but you know what, I realized something as I started to play through Gears of War on the PC. I am a save whore, and these linear shooters are much more fun when there is a checkpoint save system.
I think checkpoint saves are annoying.

I think if I have to suddenly drop whatever I'm doing b/c of whatever X-variable reason, I should be able to save whenever I feel like it.

It actually makes the harder bits more fun to play through, and requires more skill.
It does make it harder and require more skill...

...but I hate checkpoint save systems b/c  very often, the designers don't spread out the checkpoints often enough. They either make the checkpoints come TOO FAST or NOT OFTEN enough -- and Far Cry was a master at letting them come too quickly at times and at other times there were WAY too spread out.

To answer your question, no.
That sucks.

Especially since COD1 had SAVE ANYWHERE.

What a step backwards in the save system...

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #56 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 06:18:38 AM »
I think checkpoint saves are annoying.

I think if I have to suddenly drop whatever I'm doing b/c of whatever X-variable reason, I should be able to save whenever I feel like it.

Actually they come in every two or three minutes max. That isn't a huge loss in my life.

That sucks.

Especially since COD1 had SAVE ANYWHERE.

What a step backwards in the save system...

I actually think it is a way forward, because I have come to realize that in certain situations, quick saves can ruin a game.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #57 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 06:24:51 AM »
Actually they come in every two or three minutes max. That isn't a huge loss in my life.
That's not too bad...

I actually think it is a way forward, because I have come to realize that in certain situations, quick saves can ruin a game.
And often, when they're way too spread out and poorly placed, like in say Far Cry, GRAW PC and R6: Vegas PC, I get to the point often where I'll shut the game off and maybe never actually finish it.

I still ain't finished those above games b/c of them horribly placed checkpoint save points in a shooter....

Though, I'm sure you'd love a checkpoint save systems in a RPG, Puggy.... :P
Even though you can save anytime in The Witcher, it doesn't allow any type of saving when you're just in battle period -- which is an interesting mechanic.

EDIT:
Hey Pug -- did they put checkpoint saves in COD4 b/c if you had a quicksave button, the game could really be finished in 3-4 hours? :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #58 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 08:19:13 AM »
I'll definitely give you Far Cry. That was insane, and in a game with an open environment, there is no need.

As for R6: Vegas, the check points were well placed, and it added to the game play not to be able to save your game in the middle of a tough firefight.

Though, I'm sure you'd love a checkpoint save systems in a RPG, Puggy....

:P No way. Not in an RPG.

Hey Pug -- did they put checkpoint saves in COD4 b/c if you had a quicksave button, the game could really be finished in 3-4 hours?

:P

Well to be honest, I probably got five and a half hours out of the game, and didn't die too often.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #59 on: Sunday, November 18, 2007, 09:58:51 AM »
I'll definitely give you Far Cry. That was insane, and in a game with an open environment, there is no need.
I'd go crazy if a game like STALKER -- which isn't an easy game to begin w/, on its default difficulty -- didn't have a quicksave, given how open the gameworld is to the player.

As for R6: Vegas, the check points were well placed, and it added to the game play not to be able to save your game in the middle of a tough firefight.
To each his own.

:P No way. Not in an RPG.
That's what I figured. :P

:P

Well to be honest, I probably got five and a half hours out of the game, and didn't die too often.
Okay, 4 hours length then. :P

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #60 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 05:08:04 PM »
This game is pretty awesome online, even though it's basically BF 2 Lite with th UAV's, airstrikes, and helicopters. However, I've been playing a lot, seeing as I'm a 28 at the first level of prestige. Anyone else playing this on 360?

Offline HxCeddie

« Reply #61 on: Monday, November 19, 2007, 05:10:52 PM »
Damn, didn't see this thread...posted in the other one that MysterD started. However, if anyone is playing this on 360, hit me up because I've been playing obssevively online.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #63 on: Wednesday, November 21, 2007, 11:06:41 PM »
Given that the games been out for a while and no one has mentioned this, can we assume that no one noticed and it's a non-issue?

Yeah it's a non issue, the game looks dam pretty as it is and it's hardly like the Halo thing "we've got this but it's actualy that scaled up". Really this is nothing.

Offline PyroMenace

Re: The Ultimate Call of Duty 4 thread.
« Reply #64 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 04:33:28 AM »
I'm a few hours into the game. I'm pretty much with the general consensus on this. It really feels like the way MoH:AA was to the WWII shooters, this game is to modern warfare shooters, its pretty much the cream of the crop. I think it's gonna take me longer than 5 hours though as I'm playing on the third highest difficulty out of four. The AI's aiming doesn't slack on this setting, if theres a guy that has his sites on you, you better fucking find cover. Every second of the game has been extremely intense and I'm loving it. I think what really sells the game for me is the tone that it sets. While in the past CoD games, WWII battles get so over glorified as the allied nations fight back the evil Nazis over and over again. In CoD4, it gets the point across that war is a really bad thing, and there are moments when you kill you realize how ugly all this is. And as the campaign progresses, the situations that play forth end up getting far worse and nastier and somehow you have to dig your way out of it all, it really adds some great tension to the fight.

As for the multiplayer, I played a little deathmatch the other night. Its pretty cool, in terms of deathmatch I enjoyed it and I usually hate deathmatch and I got my ass handed to me all around. I think the level designs themselves make for some fun matches.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #65 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 05:03:59 AM »
I finally find out what you guys have been up to! I just played some CoD4 and Wow! Honestly I loved the first mission on the ship. So far I enjoy the SAS missions more than the USMC missions.

(click to show/hide)

It's a very impressive and well-polished game! Very cinematic style too!

EDIT:

Some of the Arabic stuff is amusing too :P A lot of the Arabic banners just say "Infinity Ward" in Arabic. I was honestly very impressed with the Arabic speech and scripture in the game.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #66 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 05:18:03 AM »
I finally find out what you guys have been up to! I just played some CoD4 and Wow! Honestly I loved the first mission on the ship. So far I enjoy the SAS missions more than the USMC missions.

(click to show/hide)

It's a very impressive and well-polished game! Very cinematic style too!

EDIT:

Some of the Arabic stuff is amusing too :P A lot of the Arabic banners just say "Infinity Ward" in Arabic. I was honestly very impressed with the Arabic speech and scripture in the game.

haha I KNEW you'd be impressed by that. The sniper mission is just magnificent. And I remember you were always complaining about the Arabic being just gibberish in most games, so I thought that would please you. :)

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #67 on: Tuesday, December 04, 2007, 06:30:49 AM »
haha I KNEW you'd be impressed by that. The sniper mission is just magnificent. And I remember you were always complaining about the Arabic being just gibberish in most games, so I thought that would please you. :)
Haha yeah man :D I was just really glad they got it right ;D Most of the time it's gibberish or some generic words "STOP! KILL! SEE!"

A few people here are boycotting the game saying that it's anti-arab or whatnot. I played the game and I can safely say it is NOT anti-arab. It's pro anti-terrorism.

Anyway, the fact that there is proper Arabic in a game is more flattering than offensive.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #68 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:23:08 AM »
Hahaha I just confirmed that the game is in fact officially BANNED in the U.A.E.!! That is retarded! I'd better keep my copy under wraps :P

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #69 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:30:19 AM »
...seriously?

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #70 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:38:24 AM »
...seriously?
Yep. Apparently the people in charge of censorship and banning inappropriate material just don't play games. They just read that one of the bad guys is an Arab and BLAKCLISTED! Lame. If they play the game they'll see that it is NOT some cheap anti-Arab propaganda. It's not anti-Arab at all!! The majority of the game is spent shooting Russians anyway!

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #71 on: Wednesday, December 05, 2007, 05:59:27 AM »
In other news, Valdamir Putin has declared Call of Duty 4 his favorite game.

Offline Ghandi

• HAMS
« Reply #72 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 10:42:42 AM »
Played it. Beat it. Loved it.

I played it on the hardest difficulty and it took around 7 hours for me and my buddy to beat. But that was with trying to find all the laptops. The only part I didn't like were the stupid dogs - it wasn't hard to kill them after you learned the timing but they were just not very realistic. Roving bands of rabid dogs? Give me a break. Also my teammates were incapable of doing anything but getting in my way most of the time. The levels with high altitude attack choppers were interesting, though, because my friend is in the AF. He would tell me some cool shit about what everything was. But, unfortunately, he couldn't tell me everything because most of it is classified. :D

Still, fun game. Gonna try out the MP today.

Offline Pugnate

• What? You no like?
  • Global Moderator
  • Forum god
    • OW
« Reply #73 on: Saturday, December 22, 2007, 10:54:41 AM »
haha those dogs gave me heart attacks.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #74 on: Saturday, January 19, 2008, 06:27:39 AM »
Modders, rejoice.

Call of Duty 4 PC SDK Released.

» Call Of Duty 4 PC SDK Released

Infinity Ward has released the PC SDK for their first person shooter Call of Duty 4, allowing mod makers to create new maps and mods for the game. You can download the SDK from several sites including Fileshack and FilePlanet. Infinity Ward has also launched their own Wiki-style web site to help (unofficially) with the use of the game's map editor.

Offline Xessive

• Gold Member
    • XSV @ deviantART
« Reply #75 on: Saturday, January 19, 2008, 06:45:30 AM »
Sweet! I'm curious what the community will dish out for CoD4.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #76 on: Saturday, January 26, 2008, 06:34:56 AM »
The SDK got patched up to Version 1.1, so y'all know and might wanna DL the patch.

Offline MysterD

• Forum god
« Reply #77 on: Friday, February 01, 2008, 04:38:26 PM »
Patch 1.5 is out now.
Mod Kit is now up to 1.2, as well

I saw this note on Wikipedia, but I didn't know the song "Church" (by rap duo Heltah Skeltah -- song is from Sean Price's album Jesus Price Supastar) was used in the game ...  :o

Offline Jedi

• Poster Child
« Reply #78 on: Friday, February 01, 2008, 08:31:12 PM »
Patch 1.5 is out now.
Mod Kit is now up to 1.2, as well

I saw this note on Wikipedia, but I didn't know the song "Church" (by rap duo Heltah Skeltah -- song is from Sean Price's album Jesus Price Supastar) was used in the game ...  :o

I can think of only one place where that song might be in the game, and that's in the early mission Charlie Don't Surf.

Offline scottws

• Gold Member
    • Facebook Me
« Reply #79 on: Wednesday, February 13, 2008, 10:45:14 AM »
So I beat COD4 two days ago.  I concur that every moment of the game was completely awesome, but yeah I wish it was longer.  I beat it in two sittings.  But it was good enough that I'll definitely be replaying it.

I'll probably put my claws into the multiplayer for the first time tonight or tomorrow.  The guys here at work have given it pretty superb reviews.

(click to show/hide)